New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout X: Back after those messages

The gold is as it was pre-war. A trap. 10 luck breaking the Sierra Madre provides via the vending machine in the Bunker more money than even getting all the gold bars ever could. Congrats you now have an infinite source of the most valuable currency in NV. Ammo.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    The gold is as it was pre-war. A trap. 10 luck breaking the Sierra Madre provides via the vending machine in the Bunker more money than even getting all the gold bars ever could. Congrats you now have an infinite source of the most valuable currency in NV. Ammo.
    No, the most valuable currency in NV is duct tape because you can make weapon repair kits out of it :P

(Though you can buy those in the bunker as well after Dead Money)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    One of the things I found frustrating about Dead Money is that there's nothing good in the Vault. The gold only provides caps, which your character does not need considering how stupidly abundant cap sources are and how little of worth is available to actually purchase in the game (ammo and repair kits, pretty much), and you can hardly carry any of it anyway.

When Dead Money was released the big reason to go there was the additional skill books, but that stopped mattering as additional DLC were released, which devalued it significantly.
    That's actually the point of the Vault. It was hyped up to be this enormously valuable treasure explicitly as a trap for Dean. It's intentionally left looking valuable with insanely heavy gold bars that Dean wouldn't be able to move himself, as a snare to get him caught.

The real treasure of Dead Money is breaking the bank at the Sierra Madre and getting a thousand tokens every three days, which can be exchanged for repair kits and ammo. Well, that and the Holorifle if you have investment in Energy Weapons skill. Since you can just Rest until your next deposit, you have effectively infinite ammo and repair kits after this. Much like how The Pitt gives you an effectively unlimited amount of ammo once complete.

Come to think of it, there's a LOT of parallels between Dead Money and The Pitt. Given I loathed The Pitt in FO3, I guess it makes sense I didn't like DM either.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

4. - Top - End - #124
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    No, the most valuable currency in NV is duct tape because you can make weapon repair kits out of it :P
    Yeah, I remember leaving Dead Money with more repair kits than I ever needed to finish the game with. The two gold bars I took I just used as paper weights in my BigMT home.

DM is a pretty decent DLC. The story and characters are for sure the best part. The worst I'd say are the indestructible radios. I felt cheated when I'd try something clever to get around a radio into position to shoot it, then realize it can't be shot. Eventually I added a mod that disabled the head exploding part because if the DLC is gonna change the rules mid-game them so shall I. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

My favorite time was a moderately high level character bringing in a shotgun, a lot of ammo, and the And Stay Back perk.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Dead Money being fundamentally different from the rest of the game looks to be the reason people either love or despise it. For me, I liked the storyline and the character arcs, and the area was the only place in the game where I felt like I was actually in danger since I passed level 7 or so.

And in my opinion, the real treasure of the Sierra Madre would have been to get out with the tech to recreate the combat holograms. Imagine what Mr House could have done with that... or don't, if you like sleeping at night.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    And in my opinion, the real treasure of the Sierra Madre would have been to get out with the tech to recreate the combat holograms. Imagine what Mr House could have done with that... or don't, if you like sleeping at night.
    That was Elijah's plan, exactly. I thought it rather overrated myself. The holograms can't wander far from the projectors, and the projectors themselves are gratifyingly fragile, so... their much-vaunted "invulnerability" doesn't really mean that much.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    That was Elijah's plan, exactly. I thought it rather overrated myself. The holograms can't wander far from the projectors, and the projectors themselves are gratifyingly fragile, so... their much-vaunted "invulnerability" doesn't really mean that much.
    There are ways to protect the projectors, and they don't seem to need direct line-of-sight to the holograms, so they're very useful. In particular they'd be devastating against unintelligent threats. Put a projector in a steel box, lay out some bait, and then watch the deathclaws/cazadors/tunnelers/etc just show up and die endlessly. They could also be used effectively by being supported using decoys. If your projectors are in a little steel box, but you place out 300 boxes for only 3 holograms your holograms can deal a tremendous amount of death before the right boxes are destroyed. It's not a totally overwhelming technology, but it's definitely a nice thing to have.

It would be really significant if NV had base-building, but even as is it would still have been cool if you could adapt some limited application of the tech like Hologram mine or grenade or something.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2021-10-19 at 08:58 PM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Elijah did plan to combine the holograms with the Cloud mind you, the emitters are harder to find when obscured by toxic fog that penetrates protective gear.

His plan seemed to be to kill essentially everyone, which does raise the question of who he was planning to build his new world with.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Given Elijah's general track record, he probably didn't think that far ahead.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Given the canon bad ending he definitely didn't.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Also, about the vault being essentially useless, I think that's also a point from another perspective.

Consider, if you will, the tale of El Dorado. The story that pushed the Spanish Conquistadores to brave the untamed wilds of the Amazon trying to to find it. Then they *did* find the origin of the tale... and it wasn't enough. It was never enough. No matter how much they found, it couldn't have been El Dorado, they had to keep searching. They threw out Platinum as 'unripe gold'. They ignored rubies the size of a tangerine, all in the pursuit of gold. You couldn't get a better morale plot for greed being all-consuming.

And that's what Dead Money was. Dean wanted two things: He wanted Vera, and he wanted the guy's cash. Not necessarily in that order, mind you. But if he could keep the girl while also scoring the heist, bonus. Elijah wanted the tech. He wanted the power of the pre-fall civilization. He had placed technology on so high a pedestal that, like El Dorado, it would never be enough, there has to be more to it than that. Sometimes, a toaster is just a toaster (or, if you go to Big MT, a psychopathic robot bent on creating a second apocalypse just so he doesn't miss out on one). Elijah would never accept that. He always felt that if he could just break the code, the secret to unlimited power lays just behind.

It is this obsession, this greed, be it for tangible loot or tech, is the moral lesson for the DLC. Everyone came here because they wanted something. Elijah wanted the Old World's tech and power. Dean wanted Vera and the loot. Christine wanted Elijah dead. All the people who came before you wanted loot. Which ties into the tagline for the DLC: Learn to let go. Elijah never could, Dean never could. Christine can, in her 'good' ending.

Except for the Courier, of course. The Courier is entirely exempt from this morality play entirely, being a catalyst for other's stories, but largely unchanged by everything. He still walks away with more than he came in with. He is never punished for greed. Which is, I think, another problem I have with the DLC. You set up a beautifully poignant morality play of greed and the consequences thereof... then just shrugs off and goes 'let's not go there, it's a silly place' and proceeds to do a song and dance number as a scene change.

Then again, I suppose it would be impossible to apply those rules to a player in a game whose genre I typically refer to as a 'first person looter'. Which is why I don't really feel they should have tried for that particular morality play in the first place. The tone is too dissonant with the underlying game mechanics.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2021-10-21 at 10:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    He is never punished for greed. Which is, I think, another problem I have with the DLC. You set up a beautifully poignant morality play of greed and the consequences thereof...
    Unless you overencumber yourself with loot from the vault and can't reach the exit in time, of course...

14. - Top - End - #134
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Except for the Courier, of course. The Courier is entirely exempt from this morality play entirely, being a catalyst for other's stories, but largely unchanged by everything. He still walks away with more than he came in with. He is never punished for greed. Which is, I think, another problem I have with the DLC. You set up a beautifully poignant morality play of greed and the consequences thereof... then just shrugs off and goes 'let's not go there, it's a silly place' and proceeds to do a song and dance number as a scene change.
    I'd say the gold, and the inability to take it with you without cheese, represents the punishment for greed.

IF you try to take all the gold with you, the game will kill you. Again and again, with no way to not get killed if you want to take all the gold (without cheese; a friend said he rigged a mine to blow him into the hallway when Elijah stepped on it, so he got to the other side of the force field, but I regard "intentionally blowing yourself up" as cheese). If you are greedy, the game will punish you. If you take what is offered (items, knowledge), and don't get greedy for them, you're probably OK.

Of course, CHIM means that you don't have to learn this lesson. But it's the lesson, nonetheless.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2021-10-21 at 10:38 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Colossus in the Playground

Mayhaps the Courier has the humility to be content with what they can reasonably take with them?

There's a difference between greed, taking advantage of an opportunity, and wanting a fair reward for time, effort, suffering, or so on invested in something.

The courier went through all the effort of the DLC and the loot was there. Nothing wrong with taking a reasonable amount of it on your way out.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I certainly wasn't humble. I learned how to make enough Turbo through CHIM to dose up enough so that I can just grab all the gold bars, then super-speed my way out before Elijah could block me off. still took a few tries though.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Which ties into the tagline for the DLC: Learn to let go. Elijah never could, Dean never could. Christine can, in her 'good' ending.
    Dean also has a "good" (for him, at least) ending, where he lets go of both Vera and the money. He shrugs, and resolves to make his way to New Vegas. Begin again.

Elijah, as you say, can't let go. The Courier plays him the same way he played them to get them there: he just can't resist coming down himself.

How does Doggod fit this pattern?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

...You don't actually need any cheese OR cheats to take the gold, by the way. You can just take the most efficient route out of the room. It's what I did playing on Xbox back in the day.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-10-21 at 05:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    ...You don't actually need any cheese OR cheats to take the gold, by the way. You can just take the most efficient route out of the room. It's what I did playing on Xbox back in the day.
    Wait, There's more than two routes? all I remember is that if you go the short way Elijah spots you immediately and if you take the long way around which I did, you simply won't get there in time with the gold and he like shuts it down and your screwed.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Wait, There's more than two routes? all I remember is that if you go the short way Elijah spots you immediately and if you take the long way around which I did, you simply won't get there in time with the gold and he like shuts it down and your screwed.
    You take the shortest route out while crouched. 100 Sneak is more than enough to bamboozle Elijah.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

The other way to make it out is to dump the gold onto the floor while pressed up against the forcefield. Do it right, the gold falls through the forcefield. You pick it up just before you leave. But yea, that's exploiting a glitch as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Fear the power of my mods! I just bring a bunch of Robco Certified Safebots. Simple.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Fear the power of my mods! I just bring a bunch of Robco Certified Safebots. Simple.
    oh I have that mod, I just haven't tried it yet. I'm still on my second playthrough trying to get through Dead Money on my luck 10 character but death is not the problem- its the constant crashes which is happening more often than in base game probably because of the mods I got.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So, in reading YA books, I often find the worldbuilding falls apart about about the 3rd book.

1st book (if the series is good) is usually compelling... new ideas and things we are discovering as the world opens up to us.

2nd book builds on the first, but it might start tottering a bit... things start to interact more weirdly, and the foundation from the 1st book gets some light shown on it, and we can see the problems.

3rd book, it often falls apart; too much new stuff has been introduced, and the foundation is cracked or the edifice is tilted to the point where it's going to fall.

Now, I'm thinking about this in terms of Fallout. The first game, ok, we're 84 years after the end of the world. You've got 2-3 generations who have grown up in the post-apocalypse.

2nd game, we're 164 years after the end of the world... almost twice as long, to the point where the Vault Dweller of the first game is your great, possibly great-great, grandparent. Things are better and more organized, we see more of the world, etc.

But then we get the 3rd game (Fallout 3; I'm disregarding Tactics for this)... and the world falls apart. A solid 200 years after the End of the World... and the world is little different than we saw in Fallout 1. Little of the growth from Fallout 1 & 2 is evident. Everything is still fallen apart. Yes, we are on the other side of the continent, but we're still talking 200 years. You've got things like cars that will still explode, little to no rebuilding, little to no industry. In Fallout 1, we saw that Shady Sands grew crops, and pretty much everywhere in Fallout 2 had some visible means of survival. Fallout 3? How does Megaton survive? How does Tenpenny Tower? Why is Little Lamplight still full of children? The world is supposed to be 200 years post-apocalypse, and it plays more like 200 weeks.

And Fallout 4 is the same thing. New Vegas did a bit of work, building off Fallout 2, but the core worldbuilding of the game seldom feels like it's supposed to be centuries past the apocalypse.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

25. - Top - End - #145

Flumph

Fallout 3 and 4 suck at worldbuilding because Bethesda sucks at worldbuilding. That's not a difficult piece of math...

Fallout 3 and 4 make absolutely no attempt to pretend that they are set in a world which exists on its own terms, they are a playground for you the player where nobody else has ever done anything of note or value, or ever will, and people cosplay in the iconography of a PC RPG series from the olden times that the player is not actually expected to remember.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2021-10-23 at 10:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146

My assumption about Little Lamplight s that children from other communities end up being sent there because it's relatively safer.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Because at some point your not really playing a nuclear wasteland anymore.

progress too far, and all the radioactive places die down, new life starts growing in, and well.....what next?

you have the NCR stable and continuing to grow, probably, if we're disregarding fallout 3 and 4, the vaults and a lot of the series is about becomes irrelevant at some point, and instead we focus on the emerging post-war nations that emerge from the ashes. there is probably an East Coast Nation, sure, maybe we could have a game about West Vs East coast or something.

But what next after that? well, the rest of the world isn't really detailed in Fallout. do see chinese and russian post-war states rising from the ashes and a game about the question of whether this will all repeat again? do we try and fill in the blanks of what happened to Europe, Africa, Middle East, South america, and Australia?

you want the world to progress you have to answer these questions, because the world recovering means the nations becoming stronger, more wide, more organized, and thus the scale gets larger. thus the question of what happened to places outside the US have to be answered at some point if your progressing the setting away from its nuclear wasteland beginnings.

28. - Top - End - #148

Also, now that I think about it... The vaults, the ones with actual functional people inside them and still alive at least, aren't opening at the same times, and not every region is going to have the same resources, not everyone is going to want to rebuild: Maybe the Raider gangs are happy with the current arrangement, for example.

California is probably the best-case scenario and is probably doing really well... But a good chunk of the Common Wealth is so radioactive that storms blowing through the area periodically irradiate the whole rest of it. Between that and the institute seeming to deliberately destabilize things for their own agendas for pretty much their entire existence and it makes sense that the common wealth isn't doing so hot in comparison.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Also, now that I think about it... The vaults, the ones with actual functional people inside them and still alive at least, aren't opening at the same times, and not every region is going to have the same resources, not everyone is going to want to rebuild: Maybe the Raider gangs are happy with the current arrangement, for example.

California is probably the best-case scenario and is probably doing really well... But a good chunk of the Common Wealth is so radioactive that storms blowing through the area periodically irradiate the whole rest of it. Between that and the institute seeming to deliberately destabilize things for their own agendas for pretty much their entire existence and it makes sense that the common wealth isn't doing so hot in comparison.
    Yeah. progress is hard, the process can be full steps backward and ideas that come too early to be useful and such.

like its very possible that the NCR just plain ends up steadily becoming an empire juggernaut that retakes everything in its way, and the commonwealth just gets steamrolled.

but still, at some point you have to start answering questions that Fallout has avoided ever since it began, which is "what happened to the rest of the world?" and bethesda's style of game where they are make one single open game world in a certain area isn't really conducive to that, because its better done with multiple levels and worldspaces that you can just fast travel between, which is often goes against the open world design they do with Fallout.

30. - Top - End - #150

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Because at some point your not really playing a nuclear wasteland anymore.

progress too far, and all the radioactive places die down, new life starts growing in, and well.....what next?
    Well yeah, and that's what Fallout 2 and New Vegas explore. The "what next".