New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Fallout X: Back after those messages

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    You can always make your own. I ran a Louisiana based Fallout game using Savage Worlds as the system of choice for a good while.
    Could've used GURPS.

Fallout was originally going to use GURPS but the negotiations for licensing the system fell apart.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Could've used GURPS.

Fallout was originally going to use GURPS but the negotiations for licensing the system fell apart.
    I could've...but why would I? GURPS kinda sucks and Savage Worlds doesn't.

3. - Top - End - #183

Picked up Fallout 4 and all the DLC cheap on Steam.

I'm still getting used to being a PC master race. I only had consoles before.

Mods are my lifeblood now. Though I'm worse than a beginner in their implementation.

I havnt fiddled with the Nexus yet. In no small part due to a friend gifting me Stellaris the same week I started replaying Fallout.

I've been giving some thought to exactly what sort of experience I want from modded Fallout.
    I appreciate procedural generation and seeing steady progress over time.

The mod that lets settlers loot downed raiders is nice because I get to slowly watch their equipment improve.

Sim Settlements would be nice if I could get it to work.

I wonder what other mods could slowly morph the wasteland or its denizens over time as I play?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

The mod for settlers looting dead enemies is exactly the sort of thing I was wishing for when I was playing FO4. I spent a lot of time giving my settlers improved gear thanks to the massive piles of armor and weapons I didn't even need to sell, but if they'd been able to equip themselves after I dropped the gear off, I would have loved the option. I actually enjoyed the settlement management, but my big complaint is that you couldn't actually use the giant community you could build for much of anything.

...Has anyone made a mod for one of the things I was really wishing for, a 'salvage beacon' sort of thing? I had an idea for how to make my settlers useful after clearing a location: Plant a beacon in the place signaling the nearest allied settlement it was safe, and to come in and strip the place after I left, instead of me personally lugging all the scrap back. I like having an army of followers, but I like them a lot more when they actually follow what I want them to do.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Why yes, there is in fact such a mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18757
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Why yes, there is in fact such a mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18757
    Oh! I remember seeing that one! Will definitely be grabbing it.

Also, I'm loving the mod that makes all of the Red Rocket gas stations into settlements. I remember being so disappointed back when I first played the game that they weren't.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

I still don't get why the Red Rocket settlement is so close to Sanctuary, it makes one or the other feel redundant to me and I've never found a good use for RR other than to dump companions in it when I haven't gotten their loyalty perk but don't want to travel with them.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I still don't get why the Red Rocket settlement is so close to Sanctuary, it makes one or the other feel redundant to me and I've never found a good use for RR other than to dump companions in it when I haven't gotten their loyalty perk but don't want to travel with them.
    I think that Red Rocket is less of a "settlement" settlement and more meant as something that you, the eSOle Survivor, fortify as a base of operations.

As opposed to sanctuary, which still has some houses in good enough condition to live in and a decent amount of suppies on hand, which is more for actual settlements... Or, if you're not into the Settlement building, just giving it to the Minute Men.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah my Red Rocket always ends up a fairly massive fortress, impenetrable with awesome defenses. Sadly it's all kind of worthless since nothing in F4 really presents a challenge. Multi-story walls laser and rocket turrets are overkill against the three or so Super Mutants you'll fight. Doens't take much to render them into Chunky Salsa.

10. - Top - End - #190

Yeah my Red Rocket always ends up a fairly massive fortress, impenetrable with awesome defenses. Sadly it's all kind of worthless since nothing in F4 really presents a challenge. Multi-story walls laser and rocket turrets are overkill against the three or so Super Mutants you'll fight. Doens't take much to render them into Chunky Salsa.
    Realistically though, that's ha you'd want. Fortified shelter you can stay at for days at a time without having to worry about being ganked in your sleep, or about raiders or scavengers stealing your swag while you're out hunting or scavenging yourself. Or doing quests, since it's an open-world adventure game and thus people can't wipe their ass without your help.

In a sandbox survival game that would be the end goal: Fortify a base so that you can just survive there indefinitely.

My preferred strategy for these kinds of things is to use high walls to sort of herd people into a hall lined with assorted turrets, with turrets along the walls in case the hostile AIs don't play ball. That's not always a viable strategy in these games though.

My main problem is I don't know if you can get food at water produced at the rocket. My Fallout knowledge is mostly from lets plays and wiki walks. You don't strictly need clean food and water in fallout unless you're playing on the highest difficulty, but I mean, realism.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #191

BlackDragon

The Red Rocket near Sanctuary Hills works like any other settlement, so you can totally get food and water producing structures built there. Only problem is that all the food ones (unless someone with more knowledge wants to correct me) require settlers to work the fields in order for them to produce anything, so that can be a bit of a faff to sort out, unless you have Automatron of course in which case you can just build robots to do that job for you.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Red Rocket is there so you have easy access to a base early game without a bunch of NPCs bothering you constantly.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    And Fallout 4 is the same thing. New Vegas did a bit of work, building off Fallout 2, but the core worldbuilding of the game seldom feels like it's supposed to be centuries past the apocalypse.
    Fallout 4 has in the background that the Commonwealth was well on its way to building its own version of the NCR. Until the Institute roflstomped that idea.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Fallout 4 has in the background that the Commonwealth was well on its way to building its own version of the NCR. Until the Institute roflstomped that idea.
    A common misconception. They failed, the Institute just watched.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Do yoou have a source for 'The institute just watched?'

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Director%27s_recordings

The Institute was in favour of the CPG, though not super direct with their involvement, but two things went wrong.

One was that the Commonwealth was divided, a lot of the elements of the CPG didn't like each other, and needed little prompting to get into arguments or open conflict.

Two was that an Institute department head sent an experimental synth to a meeting with the CPG against the orders of the director at the time. The synth malfunctioned and killed all the other representatives, presumably after some sort of argument triggered it's combat protocols.

Upon discovering one of the delegates was a synth, and with everyone who had been in the room dead, the CPG fractured completely. Some blamed the Institute, some blamed other settlements, some blamed both. The Institute found no one was willing to talk to them anymore and basically decided that diplomacy with the surface was a dead end at that point and decided to focus on their strained infrastructure and assassinating people who tried to rile the commonwealth up into trying to attack them.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Not quite right either. The haywire synth mentioned on that page is the Broken Mask synth that shot up the bar in Diamond City.

What we know about the CPG is that the Institute helped them for four years, but was on the verge of giving up.

And then Nick tells us a synth murdered everyone.

So it's a little murky what happened. It's possible the synth was there as a representative of the Institute and just happened to be the last one standing after an argument turned into a gunfight. It's also possible the Institute decided they were done with things and did send synths to tie up loose ends.

But the CPG massacre was in the 2230s and the Institute has already kidnapped enough people and turned them into super mutants for a horde to attack Diamond City in the 2180s, so screw those guys anyway.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly Nick is probably the only good thing to come out of the institute.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Realistically though, that's ha you'd want. Fortified shelter you can stay at for days at a time without having to worry about being ganked in your sleep, or about raiders or scavengers stealing your swag while you're out hunting or scavenging yourself. Or doing quests, since it's an open-world adventure game and thus people can't wipe their ass without your help.

In a sandbox survival game that would be the end goal: Fortify a base so that you can just survive there indefinitely.

My preferred strategy for these kinds of things is to use high walls to sort of herd people into a hall lined with assorted turrets, with turrets along the walls in case the hostile AIs don't play ball. That's not always a viable strategy in these games though.

My main problem is I don't know if you can get food at water produced at the rocket. My Fallout knowledge is mostly from lets plays and wiki walks. You don't strictly need clean food and water in fallout unless you're playing on the highest difficulty, but I mean, realism.
    What you'd realistically want rarely makes for an interesting game though.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    You can. I usually set up a decent water supply and a small food supply, and heavily fortify it; it's something of a forward defense for Sanctuary.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Red Rocket is also a pretty good arty base.

22. - Top - End - #202

BlackDragon

Red Rocket is also a pretty good arty base.
    Really? It's in the middle of nowhere, where's in range of it that you'd want to shoot at?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

The quarry to the west. And the ration stockpile south.

24. - Top - End - #204

Flumph

Both of which you probably cleared out long before you got artillery to build.

I can't remember the ranges, but I bet you can cover the whole top left corner of the map from Starlight Drive-In.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Why limit yourself to a few artillery bases?

And, while I know it would have been a lot harder to code, I've always wished we could strip Concord or Lexington to the ground.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2021-12-11 at 10:42 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on the character i'm playing. Some get lucky and get arty really soon, others don't get it until end game.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Just beat Nuka World part 1 (getting all ride areas safe).

Now, he wants to conquer the rest of commomwealth, still unsure if I want to do that or slaughter the raiders.

I'm talking to Hobologist group now.

Haven't talked to Preston G so I can still do raiding then betray them and get Preston if I want.

My main settlement is Red Rocket.

Got a ammo factory there I started but need way more lead.

28. - Top - End - #208

BlackDragon

Bear in mind Preston will have a hissy fit if you start raiding for the Nuka-world bandits, and even if you later destroy them, he won't cease to remind you that he can't really trust you ever again, although he'll still give you missions. Why they didn't give the option to tell him "I was stringing them along until I could end their threat for good!" is beyond me...

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

I don't get why they didn't give the option to destroy the Minutemen completely and finish the game with the raiders.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I don't get why they didn't give the option to destroy the Minutemen completely and finish the game with the raiders.
    Because then you could activate the 'kill all bandits' mission at any point and soft-lock you from completing the game by not having a faction you can fall back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora