New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Tips for Creating a Tentacle Monster PC?

First off let me clarify and say that when I mean Tentacle Monster, I merely mean a character/creature that possesses tentacles and an alien feel, I'm NOT talking about a character that uses those tentacles to... well... replicate Japanese content (you know what I'm talking about).

I also kind of imagine the creature being humanoid(ish) with tentacles instead of arms and legs, concealing their slimy body with a cloak/trench coat/rain coat. Perhaps due to their nature they're extremely shy and are just trying to survive.

While I'm sure this can be kind of done with a few classes like: Great Old One Warlock, Fathomless Warlock, Aberrant Mind Sorcerer and Astral Self Monk (make the Astral Self be the tentacles), I'm not too sure which one would fit the most (or if maybe there is another good option I haven't considered).

Also I'm not too sure what would be a good race to play that would actually fit the theme. A part of me kind of thinks that doing a Custom Linage (from TCoE) would be the best option (sadly while the Simic Hybrid has Grappling Appendages, they don't really work well with any of the classes mentioned above), I'm not too sure what would be a fitting feat to represent a tentacle monster race.

So if anyone has any suggestions on feats and has tips on how this could be made into a fun/interesting character (using races, classes, feats, spells (if applicable), etc...) then please leave a comment below.

Thank you for reading this. I look forward to hearing from you all.
    Shy Tentacle Monster in the Playground... It's not as bad as it sounds, I swear.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Tips for Creating a Tentacle Monster PC?

Quote Originally Posted by werescythe View Post
    First off let me clarify and say that when I mean Tentacle Monster, I merely mean a character/creature that possesses tentacles and an alien feel, I'm NOT talking about a character that uses those tentacles to... well... replicate Japanese content (you know what I'm talking about).

I also kind of imagine the creature being humanoid(ish) with tentacles instead of arms and legs, concealing their slimy body with a cloak/trench coat/rain coat. Perhaps due to their nature they're extremely shy and are just trying to survive.

While I'm sure this can be kind of done with a few classes like: Great Old One Warlock, Fathomless Warlock, Aberrant Mind Sorcerer and Astral Self Monk (make the Astral Self be the tentacles), I'm not too sure which one would fit the most (or if maybe there is another good option I haven't considered).

Also I'm not too sure what would be a good race to play that would actually fit the theme. A part of me kind of thinks that doing a Custom Linage (from TCoE) would be the best option (sadly while the Simic Hybrid has Grappling Appendages, they don't really work well with any of the classes mentioned above), I'm not too sure what would be a fitting feat to represent a tentacle monster race.

So if anyone has any suggestions on feats and has tips on how this could be made into a fun/interesting character (using races, classes, feats, spells (if applicable), etc...) then please leave a comment below.

Thank you for reading this. I look forward to hearing from you all.
    Simic Hybrid, Fathomless Warlock focusing on Eldritch Blast that has both the push and pull invocations as your "tentacles".

Could also go Battlemaster with whips.

Both are surprisingly good controllers.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-05-09 at 02:31 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Water Genasi has Acid Resistance, a Swim Speed, is Amphibious and gets Shape Water and Create/Destroy Water. Seems like a solid place to start; aside from a certain squishiness and elasticity, it's got the hallmarks of a slimy tentacular sort of dude of the oozy persuasion.

Alternatively, an entirely re-skinned Bugbear has some features that feel appropriate; namely their longer reach and surprise attack (tentacles are surprising, right?).

As far as Class goes, I would tend to aim towards a spellcaster of some kind. Off the top of my head, Acid Arrow, Enlarge/Reduce, Black Tentacles and the like are what feel appropriate, so we're probably looking at either a Sorcerer, Warlock or Wizard, as you suggest. I don't really have much to say along those lines, but maybe there's some wiggle room for Druid; perhaps an Underdark or Swamp (Land) Druid? That would gel well with the Wis bonus of Water Genasi and gives you access to Thorn Whip which can easily be refluffed as a slimy tentacle and Primal Savagery which gives you acid damage melee attack, as well as some thematically appropriate elemental spells. If you wanted to riff on the slime/ooze aspect, Wild Shape can easily be used/themed as a "malleable body" aspect, allowing you to turn into smaller forms to squeeze through small spaces.

Using the Con bonus of the Genasi for the additional durability and the Wis bonus for attack cantrips, I could easily see a short-ranged melee Land Druid working for this kind of build, drawing foes into dangerous terrain of your own creation, while out of combat you are a master contortionist, able to ooze your way through the smallest gaps. Feats would have to include War Caster (as standard), but Elemental Adept might be useful if you choose to focus on a particular damage type.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2021-05-09 at 03:16 AM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

profile picture checks out.

Simic Hybrid gives you tentacles, so you'd probably want that, fathomless warlock also gives you a tentacle!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Reskinned loxodon. For what is an elephant trunk but a face tentacle

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I won't lie a part of me is really tempted to do the reskinned Bugbear with Astral Self monk (astral tentacles), one question though is would the Grappler be a good feat? Especially since I usually use Strength as my dump stat when it comes to Monks/Spellcasters.
    Shy Tentacle Monster in the Playground... It's not as bad as it sounds, I swear.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

There is a cool tentacle spell that allows attacks that restrain in primeval Thule.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by werescythe View Post
    I won't lie a part of me is really tempted to do the reskinned Bugbear with Astral Self monk (astral tentacles), one question though is would the Grappler be a good feat? Especially since I usually use Strength as my dump stat when it comes to Monks/Spellcasters.
    Cant, the reach is lost at the end of the turn, so you'd lose the grapple unless they're adjacent to you in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

A fun one I did a while back was a poser wizard. Simic Hybrid eldritch knight, with a heavy focus on grappling. I took a one level dip in barbarian for unarmored defense and rage for emergencies. Grab the skill expert feat for Athletics

I played as an innept wizard, right down to the obviously fake beard. I had a few spells (enlarge being my go-to) but mostly would just call out absurd magic sounding gibberish while tentacles came out of my sleeves and grappled/proned the biggest threats on the battlefield while I bashed their heads in.

Its even more fun if your table doesn't know the mechanics and you refuse to admit you are anything other than a proud professional wizard.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Thelidians are a race I designed a little while ago. They are emphatically tentacle monsters, but I leaned far harder on the the Psychic association of their progenitors with tentacles as more of an aesthetic element.