New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Are Archery Valor Bards any Good?

I assume it would look something like this:

Race: Half-Elf
    Class: Hexblade 1, Valor Bard 19.
    Ability Scores: 8 STR, 15+1 DEX, 13+1 CON, 8 INT, 11 WIS, 15+2 CHA.
    ASI's (In no particular order): +2 CHA, Elven Accuracy (CHA), Sharpshooter, Crossbow expert, Medium Armor Master

Using spells like Quick Quiver, haste, or other combat spells.

Is this any good as a archer, or does the dpr of gloomstalker / fighter archers or hexbows outweigh the advantages of being a full caster in addition to archery?
    I steal Signatures, and like General Grevious, add them to my collection. Or, I would, if there wasn't a forum limit to signature length.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Are Archery Valor Bards any Good?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon talks a lot View Post
    I assume it would look something like this:

Race: Half-Elf
    Class: Hexblade 1, Valor Bard 19.
    Ability Scores: 8 STR, 15+1 DEX, 13+1 CON, 8 INT, 11 WIS, 15+2 CHA.
    ASI's (In no particular order): +2 CHA, Elven Accuracy (CHA), Sharpshooter, Crossbow expert, Medium Armor Master

Using spells like Quick Quiver, haste, or other combat spells.

Is this any good as a archer, or does the dpr of gloomstalker / fighter archers or hexbows outweigh the advantages of being a full caster in addition to archery?
    You've got a pretty solid build, though it probably won't hit the pure DPR of a fighter or EB-using bardlock. Your ASIs are in good order, but I might suggest making Con 16 and skipping over Medium Armor Master -- 1 HP per level and an open feat will mean more for you than the 1 AC and stealth at Level 20.

In terms of order-of-operations, Elven Accuracy should probably be your first feat. Other feats can be argued to go wherever (though your last feat is essentially a nonentity).

As for spells at later level, maybe look into getting a smite spell to really take advantage of that Elven Accuracy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

You'd be a mediocre archer at best, it's up to you whether the utility of being a straight classed Bard is worth that to you.

You're tying yourself to a handcrossbow with this build, so depending what your table is like that could hamper things for you in a number of ways.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd actually shift the Hexblade level farther back--or drop it entirely, if you're not terribly worried about using offensive spells. Valor Bard already delays Extra Attack by one level; waiting until 7th will really hurt. It's easy enough to start with 16 Dex/16 Cha, and that'll take you a good long ways.

Try to get Crossbow Expert early. At low levels it'll practically double your DPR, whereas at higher levels you'd probably rather use a heavy crossbow and Swift Quiver.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2021-05-09 at 04:58 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

So the build is atleast viable, but not in my current iteration. This is good to know. Thanks for the advice.
    I steal Signatures, and like General Grevious, add them to my collection. Or, I would, if there wasn't a forum limit to signature length.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

So the build is atleast viable, but not in my current iteration. This is good to know. Thanks for the advice.
    Not optimal, maybe, but it's hard to make a 5e character who's truly nonviable. The worst case is that you have a level here or there where your archery is subpar and you have to fall back on your full casting and bardic inspiration. That's more than enough to kick any ass that gets in your way.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

I'd dump Medium Armor Master in favor of a +2 Dex, or maybe a Fighting Initiate/Archery feat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Lombard-O View Post
    I'd dump Medium Armor Master in favor of a +2 Dex, or maybe a Fighting Initiate/Archery feat.
    For that particular build, why? We are already using CHA for attack and damage rolls, so getting DEX to 18 doesn't do much?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

I played a Valor Bard Archer while killing Tiamat and I have to say, on Tier 3+ it's probably one of the best Archers on the back of Elemental Weapon and the ability to upcast it (where Pally barely gets 4th level slots, you already have 7th level ones). Before then, it's fine but Magical Secrets is really what makes it shine. Swords Bard is better in general (Flourishes work at range freeing up your action economy to use Crossbow Expert) but if you're stuck with PHB only, Valor Bard is probably the strongest archer class available considering the whole 1-20. Sadly Bard list is pretty bad for self-buffing without Magical Secrets though so the first 9 levels has you play two different roles:
    - Caster support
    - Ranged DPR

Which is fine of course: you get to nuke enemies with e.g. Hypnotic Pattern and make up for the fact that normally Bards suck at cleaning up by having solid archery options while also being a good kiter and utility. But you can't really complement your role as ranged DPR with your spells - that said, the base level contribution coupled with Inspiration let you do more than enough damage-wise.

But I repeat, if you can, go Swords Bard instead. Getting Flourishes at range is just nice, especially the knockback ones and it frees your bonus action up to kill people as opposed to giving inspiration. And yeah, +2 Cha over Medium Armor Master definitely. AC loses much of its meaning later on anyways (and you can only take the feat later on). Meanwhile, you always want higher save DCS and more Inspiration. Not to even mention skill bonuses and casting stat bonuses (for e.g. Counterspell) and such. Fey-Touched is a nice option too though with EA you probably can't afford it. I definitely would want Resilient: Constitution in there though as with all casters.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2021-05-10 at 12:11 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    but if you're stuck with PHB only, Valor Bard is probably the strongest archer class available considering the whole 1-20.
    You honestly believe this because of Magical Secrets and access to Extra attack?

You seem to acknowledge that for the first 9 levels it... isn't a good archer so I'm confused. By the whole 1-20 did you actually mean focusing on 10-20?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    You honestly believe this because of Magical Secrets and access to Extra attack?

You seem to acknowledge that for the first 9 levels it... isn't a good archer so I'm confused. By the whole 1-20 did you actually mean focusing on 10-20?
    This. Even compared with the simplest BM Fighter 20, with archery fighting style, CBE/SS feats and then maxing out Dex, and a few fitting maneuvers incl precision attack, I can't see where the bard reliably catches up... oh wait, yeah, once it can do Simulacrum shenenigans with magical secrets.

Bard Archer's significant drawback in my book is that, since to be a good archer you need feats and prioritize dex, this means ignoring charisma and becoming a worse bard (less inspiration, less save DC's, bonus action for inspiration interferes with bonus action attack). If I'd go for a caster archer I'd prefer Hexblade (some nice invocations that improve your damage and BFC) or Battlesmith Artificer - both of them having the same to hit/damage stat as casting stat, and having ways to ensure you get at least a +1 hand crossbow (invocation/infusion, without having to spend limited resources, risk losing concentration and needing buffing rounds). But as other's have said, it is viable, most things are in 5e.

12. - Top - End - #12

Magic Jar negates the need for Dex. Simulacrum obviously just turbocharges anything in Tier 3. In Tier 2, it doesn't have the damage output of a Fighter Archer but it isn't that far behind (the difference is style and subclass abilities + actiom surge 1/SR) and it does throw some really powerful effects into the mix (hypnotic pattern, sleep, etc. are generally easily worth not dealing damage for a round).

Note, the suggested build gets Cha to hit and damage as well, which of course solves the Dex issue. Overall, spells are still great and getting full spells and support on a slightly weaker combat chassis is generally better than just slightly stronger combat chassis but no spells. If you have any characters not using their Concentration in the party, the party is probably suboptimal. Similarly, any party that has any characters not casting 9th level spells is generally suboptimal. To this end, Valor Bard is one of the better ways to get a ranged damage dealer without compromising overall party power level.

Also, 16 casting stat isn't actually all that big of a problem even in Tier 4 (not that this particular build would have the issue). You generally begin to tend away from save-or-X effects anyways once LR becomes prolific.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2021-05-10 at 04:04 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

One point I will make. Elven Accuracy is just +1 Cha unless you're attacking with advantage.

Do you have a plan for how you're going to be attacking with advantage? I've seen a warlock take Elven Accuracy and as of level 12 I think they've used it 2 or 3 times.

It's still fine if you're just taking it for the +1 and don't really care about the other element but you'll need a plan on how advantage is going to be generated if you want consistent use out of the other side.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Magic Jar negates the need for Dex. Simulacrum obviously just turbocharges anything in Tier 3. In Tier 2, it doesn't have the damage output of a Fighter Archer but it isn't that far behind (the difference is style and subclass abilities + actiom surge 1/SR) and it does throw some really powerful effects into the mix (hypnotic pattern, sleep, etc. are generally easily worth not dealing damage for a round).

Note, the suggested build gets Cha to hit and damage as well, which of course solves the Dex issue. Overall, spells are still great and getting full spells and support on a slightly weaker combat chassis is generally better than just slightly stronger combat chassis but no spells. If you have any characters not using their Concentration in the party, the party is probably suboptimal. Similarly, any party that has any characters not casting 9th level spells is generally suboptimal. To this end, Valor Bard is one of the better ways to get a ranged damage dealer without compromising overall party power level.

Also, 16 casting stat isn't actually all that big of a problem even in Tier 4 (not that this particular build would have the issue). You generally begin to tend away from save-or-X effects anyways once LR becomes prolific.
    Ok, lets make this concrete.
    - Magic Jar is a 6th level spell, so at earliest available at level 11;
    - Magic Jar requirers an expensive component, and the DM conveniently providing you with a humanoid host that has both high dex and plenty of HP, to be any use in combat and allows you to use bows;
    - Even if this is succesful, the only thing you managed to do being equal to what the fighter has been doing for a few levels, that is, having a max dex in combination with SS/CBE;
    - At level 11, the fighter got a third attack, with +2 to hit from fighting style. Nova for 7 attacks and 5 d10's to spend on maneuvers.
    - Simulacrum willl be available at earliest at level 14. Again, expensive material component, long casting time, etc.

Again, at what point will a bard outperform the fighter archer exactly? At 14, with simulacrum shenenigans, if the DM is kind enough to provide the components, and time between adventures, and bodies for magic jar? Maybe it's just me, but that seems pretty darn far from a statement like "Bard is probably the strongest archer class available considering the whole 1-20. "

As for the tedious remarks about 'any party with a character not using concentration being suboptimal' and 'any character not casting level 9 spells being suboptimal'; yeah... in this magical fairy land where all spells do much more than what is in the book and are interpreted in the most generous ways, I'm sure they do.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
    Ok, lets make this concrete.
    - Magic Jar is a 6th level spell, so at earliest available at level 11;
    - Magic Jar requirers an expensive component, and the DM conveniently providing you with a humanoid host that has both high dex and plenty of HP, to be any use i combat and allows you to use bows;
    - Even if this is succesful, the only thing you managed to do being equal to what the fighter has been doing for a few levels, that is, having a max dex in combination with SS/CBE;
    - At level 11, the fighter got a third attack, with +2 to hit from fighting style. Nova for 7 attacks and 5 d10's to spend on maneuvers.
    - Simulacrum willl be available at earliest at level 14. Again, expensive material component, long casting time, etc.

Again, at what point will a bard outperform the fighter archer exactly? At 14, with simulacrum shenenigans, if the DM is kind enough to provide the components, and time between adventures, and bodies for magic jar? Maybe it's just me, but that seems pretty darn far from a statement like "Bard is probably the strongest archer class available considering the whole 1-20. "

As for the tedious remarks about 'any party with a character not using concentration being suboptimal' and 'any character not casting level 9 spells being suboptimal'; yeah... in this magical fairy land where all spells do much more than what is in the book and are interpreted in the most generous ways, I'm sure they do.
    On level 10, when Magical Secrets comes into play, Bard can have 2 hours of +2 / +2+2d4 with Elemental Weapon per day (and then +1 / +1+1d4 the rest of the time). So compared to Fighter, the Bard might actually be coming out ahead. Magic Jar actually pretty reliably gets some nice bodies since basically every adventure features some high powered humanoid enemies. If you manage to defeat one, just knock them unconscious and possess them at your leisure. It's not that hard.

Fighter has great nova, that's true. But over an average adventuring day, the nova evens out. With two SRs, you get maybe 3 novas per day. And based on everything I've read, even 2 SRs isn't a guarantee nearly on every day. You might just have four encounters with 1 SR in between. That's two novas and fiveish rounds without novas.

Obviously Simulacrum is the latest point where any caster pulls ahead. But even before then, there's plenty to be said about just having full party with a maximal amount of resources available; you have many more options beyond just full attacking every turn for when they are optimal. One of the big reasons to bring as many casters as possible is that generally damage isn't the thing in demand (basically everyone can do damage) and doing slightly more damage isn't really worth not having all the other options for when they are needed.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2021-05-10 at 05:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

IMO valor bards make better Frontline controller and sword bards make for better archers. Honorable mention for whisper as well. Being able to use weapons as a spell focus is an overlooked perk for sword bards.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    IMO valor bards make better Frontline controller and sword bards make for better archers. Honorable mention for whisper as well. Being able to use weapons as a spell focus is an overlooked perk for sword bards.
    Agreed, though I don't mind Swords Bards frontliners either. But if you don't have access to Swords Bard, Valor Bard is a fine choice. It's just Swords with a few penalties, though I grew to respect Battle Magic in the fight with Tiamat. Though I can't say that's of course a standard situation and it's late enough that I'd rather take the action economy of the Flourishes over the rather situational benefit of being able to bonus action attack with any bow after casting an 1 hour buff or dimension dooring.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

On level 10, when Magical Secrets comes into play, Bard can have 2 hours of +2 / +2+2d4 with Elemental Weapon per day (and then +1 / +1+1d4 the rest of the time). So compared to Fighter, the Bard might actually be coming out ahead.
    Again, lets make this concrete. Assuming both bard and fighter taking a feat-race and investing in SS / CBE, and point buy, the fighter would look at level 10 (which is a pretty bad level for a fair comparison, as you know without a doubt - this level the bard gets its damage boost with magical secret while the fighter needs to wait 1 more level for extra attack):
    - CBE (lvl 0), SS (lvl 4), +2 dex (6), +2 dex (8)
    - fighting style (+2 to hit)

The bard would look:
    - CBE (lvl 0), SS (lvl 4), +2 cha (lvl 8)
    - elemental weapon as buff (+2 to hit, 2d4 damage)

I'm assuming what you've said earlier, that you don't (have to) invest in dex cause by lvl 11, you'll get magic jar.

So, assuming no magic weapons:
    Fighter to hit: 4 (proficiency) + 5 (dex) + 2 (fighting style) = +11 (+6 with SS)
    Fighter damage: 1d6 + 5 / 1d6 + 15 (8.5 / 18.5)
    Bard: 4 + 3 + 2 (elemental weapon) = +9 (+4 with SS)
    Bard damage: 1d6 + 2d4 + 3 / 1d6 + 2d4 + 13 (11.5 / 21.5)

So are these which is better? Does the +2 to hit the fighter has on the bard compensate for the 3 fewer damage? Yes, it does. The bard might be coming ahead, but chances are pretty slim. Even in this pretty ideal setup for the bard, to gain maximum damage you will want to use SS as much as possible. And the Bard has nothing in its (sub)class that can help cranking up the pretty bad +4 to hit it has, while a Battlemaster can add up to 15 times/day (assuming 2 short rests) a 1d10 to his +6 to hit. Barring unusual circumstances, the fighter will win the DPR race here, no sweat. Which is of course as it should be, cause the bard has skills and spells to be good at lots of other stuff in which the fighter is worse - but that doesn't make it 'the best archer', by a long shot (terrible pun intended).

And this is disregarding the Fighter's better initiative, the fact that concentration spells can be disrupted, that not all encounters need to fall into the 2 hour timeframe the bard can be buffed with its most optimal spell (haste and improved invisibility are nice as well though), that if magical weapons are available this is of higher worth to the fighter, and that 1 level later, even if high dex bodies are available, the fighter gets another attack and will have a massive damage advantage again.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

On level 10, when Magical Secrets comes into play, Bard can have 2 hours of +2 / +2+2d4 with Elemental Weapon per day (and then +1 / +1+1d4 the rest of the time).
    To clarify, unlike a +1/+2 magic weapon, the +1/+2 from Elemental Weapon is an attack bonus only. You don't get to tack on that +1/+2 to damage as well. So Elemental Weapon gets you +1 to attack and +1d4 damage with a 3rd or 4th level slot, or +2 attack and +2d4 damage from a 5th or 6th level slot.

Being able to use weapons as a spell focus is an overlooked perk for sword bards.
    It's a perk for a Swords Bard fighting with TWF or a 1H weapon and shield, but not useful to someone like an Archer Bard with a 2H Bow or Crossbow (or a 1H hand crossbow). Any archer will already have a free hand for casting whenever needed.

Just like someone with a 2H melee weapon, you can freely remove one hand from the bow as a non-action before casting, and then re-grasp the 2H weapon with both hands again as another non-action.

(And Swords Bards aren't proficient with shields anyway, without dipping into another class. So there's no mechanical benefit from using a weapon as a focus on non-TWF and non-multiclassed Swords Bards.)
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2021-05-10 at 09:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

It's worth noting that with Jack of All Trades, Bard has competitive Initiative (it's +2 so even with +2 less Dex, it's the same Initiative) and of course better skills (of which Stealth and Perception are particularly useful to an Archer to spot targets and to gain the alpha strike). And all sorts of other stuff. The Fighter may gain competitive damage and probably outdamage the Bard but not by enough that I'd rather have the Fighter than the Bard in a party: the Bard is also bringing 4 full levels of spells (plus the Elemental Weapons) to the table alongside Bardic Inspiration and skills. Is the Fighter damage better enough than the Bard's to make up for all that? I don't think so - indeed, I don't think it's even particularly close.

If I had to make the choice between a bit more damage or an extra character with Dimension Doors, Dispel Magics, Counterspells, etc. and skills + inspiration, that's not a very hard choice to make IMHO. Not unless the other positively crushes on the damage department, but with how 5e is designed, it's just very hard to get too high above the curve (before Simulacrum and broken high level spells in general happen). If I wanted to fill the slot in a party with either and knew the party was going to be seriously challenged [obviously if the challenge isn't very high, it doesn't matter what you play], I'd lean towards the Bard vast majority of the time, even though I'd obviously rather pick Swords Bard than Valor Bard (when I ran Valor Bard in the test, I didn't even end up picking CBE due to Inspiration).

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    To clarify, unlike a +1/+2 magic weapon, the +1/+2 from Elemental Weapon is an attack bonus only. You don't get to tack on that +1/+2 to damage as well. So Elemental Weapon gets you +1 to attack and +1d4 damage with a 3rd or 4th level slot, or +2 attack and +2d4 damage from a 5th or 6th level slot.

It's a perk for a Swords Bard fighting with TWF or a 1H weapon and shield, but not useful to someone like an Archer Bard with a 2H Bow or Crossbow (or a 1H hand crossbow). Any archer will already have a free hand for casting whenever needed.

Just like someone with a 2H melee weapon, you can freely remove one hand from the bow as a non-action before casting, and then re-grasp the 2H weapon with both hands again as another non-action.

(And Swords Bards aren't proficient with shields anyway, without dipping into another class. So there's no mechanical benefit from using a weapon as a focus on non-TWF and non-multiclassed Swords Bards.)
    Depends. The item juggling can get annoying and sword bards can have a spell focus for only 5 cp.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends. The item juggling can get annoying
    No, there's no juggling needed. Just take a hand off the 2H weapon (no action required), grasp your spell focus/component pouch and/or perform the somatic components (no separate action required since it's part of casting) and put your hand back on the 2H weapon (no action required). You don't even have to spell it out every turn, since it's all non-actions. It's just assumed as part of the process of casting while holding a 2H weapon.

Per the PHB errata and Sage Advice, the Two-Handed property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it. You can hold it in one hand while casting, then regrasp it in both hands to attack or ready yourself for potential OAs. Switching between holding it in 1 hand and 2 hands is a non-action, and can be done freely.

Compared to something like a non-Warcaster TWF or sword-and-board arcane spellcaster who's having to do the actual juggle of drop a weapon (no action), cast spell with free hand (action), then pick weapon back up (using your your lone free Object Interaction per turn). Those are the only instances where being a Swords Bard would be helpful to prevent "weapon juggling".
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2021-05-10 at 11:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

It's worth noting that with Jack of All Trades, Bard has competitive Initiative (it's +2 so even with +2 less Dex, it's the same Initiative) and of course better skills (of which Stealth and Perception are particularly useful to an Archer to spot targets and to gain the alpha strike). And all sorts of other stuff. The Fighter may gain competitive damage and probably outdamage the Bard but not by enough that I'd rather have the Fighter than the Bard in a party: the Bard is also bringing 4 full levels of spells (plus the Elemental Weapons) to the table alongside Bardic Inspiration and skills. Is the Fighter damage better enough than the Bard's to make up for all that? I don't think so - indeed, I don't think it's even particularly close.

If I had to make the choice between a bit more damage or an extra character with Dimension Doors, Dispel Magics, Counterspells, etc. and skills + inspiration, that's not a very hard choice to make IMHO. Not unless the other positively crushes on the damage department, but with how 5e is designed, it's just very hard to get too high above the curve (before Simulacrum and broken high level spells in general happen). If I wanted to fill the slot in a party with either and knew the party was going to be seriously challenged [obviously if the challenge isn't very high, it doesn't matter what you play], I'd lean towards the Bard vast majority of the time, even though I'd obviously rather pick Swords Bard than Valor Bard (when I ran Valor Bard in the test, I didn't even end up picking CBE due to Inspiration).
    You claimed that it was the best Archer class, what you're talking about with spells (Counterspell, Dispel, DD etc.) is entirely irrelevant to being an archer. You could make a solid claim about it being one of the most versatile choices because it's a fullcaster with Extra Attack, but that's a very different thing.

I think you're also taking 'better skills' for granted as well, the Bard needs Dex + Cha, but especially with feats is spread thin. A Ranger inherently gets Dex + Wis and a Fighter is free to bump whatever secondary stat they want on top of having the most ASI in the game.

Throwing stealth and Perception out there as clear cut benefits to an archer is a little questionable imo, but also reinforces that the Bard isn't the best: archer Rogues compete with/if not outright beat Bards in that area.

So whilst the Bard might have Expertise in a skill, they most likely have a worse stat for that skill to begin with so comparatively Expertise is mostly playing catch up.

Which brings us onto stats, Cha is incredibly important for a Bard, and delaying or cutting off Cha progression for Dex/feats is a significant hindrance. Jack of All Trades is a fitting title to reuse here, the Valor Bard can be adequate/medicore at multiple roles but can't excel at them, hence why OP included the Hexblade level (which brings it's own multitude of problems).

A class/subclass combo that offers essentially nothing but a delayed Extra Attack until 10th level (and then questionable 'benefits' thereafter) can't be the best choice, when so many options actually do buff archery...

RogueJK also had a very good catch that you either didn't see or chose to ignore: Elemental Weapon doens't add the +x to damage, however your damage rolls in your Tiamat thread certainly did. So wouldn't it be fair to say that your experience with the VB is coloured by a damage boosting misunderstanding? (nevermind the implications of another incorrect source of damage on the simulation)
    Last edited by Dork_Forge; 2021-05-10 at 11:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

To put it briefly, the Valor Bard basically has a higher damage cantrip, and is better at holding Concentration spells than other Bards.

That's it. Limiting the Bard to relying on weapon attacks like a major feature is like a Wizard relying on Firebolt for most of his damage. Just because it scales doesn't mean it's worthwhile.

Given, Valor does better damage than most other Bard subclasses, it just happens to be on a class that isn't designed to deal damage in the first place.

If you want to focus on dealing weapon damage, be a class that is actually designed around it. You'll get more mileage out of it.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-05-10 at 11:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

25. - Top - End - #25

Lizardfolk

For that particular build, why? We are already using CHA for attack and damage rolls, so getting DEX to 18 doesn't do much?
    Right, forgot the Hexblade part. So just the Archery FS.

26. - Top - End - #26

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    No, there's no juggling needed. Just take a hand off the 2H weapon (no action required), grasp your spell focus/component pouch and/or perform the somatic components (no separate action required since it's part of casting) and put your hand back on the 2H weapon (no action required). You don't even have to spell it out every turn, since it's all non-actions. It's just assumed as part of the process of casting while holding a 2H weapon.

Per the PHB errata and Sage Advice, the Two-Handed property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it. You can hold it in one hand while casting, then regrasp it in both hands to attack or ready yourself for potential OAs. Switching between holding it in 1 hand and 2 hands is a non-action, and can be done freely.

Compared to something like a non-Warcaster TWF or sword-and-board arcane spellcaster who's having to do the actual juggle of drop a weapon (no action), cast spell with free hand (action), then pick weapon back up (using your your lone free Object Interaction per turn). Those are the only instances where being a Swords Bard would be helpful to prevent "weapon juggling".
    Putting your hand back on the 2H weapon in a useful way isn't a nonaction - you've unreadied the weapon, and you'll need to consume your 1/turn free use item to re-ready it. Not a big deal unless you're doing other things as well, but worth mentioning that it isn't totally and wholly free, unlike the rest of it.

Your original point is still valid. A valor bard is theoretically at its best as far back as possible, because Combat Inspiration - which isn't selfish and accordingly doesn't render the bard themselves a better archer - only outperforms other bards for the limited things it can do when you exploit the fact that the bard only needs to be near their friends, without needing to see or be near their enemies, so a valor bard probably wants a longbow, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily all that great with said longbow. If you want to be good with a longbow yourself, you need to look into subclasses that can spend their own inspiration dice on murder, like a swords bard.

But valor bards just aren't good. Defensively, I'd rather have a Lore Bard in my corner, and offensively, an Eloquence Bard or Creation Bard. Valor is in between the two and doesn't have the abilities to keep up.

27. - Top - End - #27

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by quindraco View Post
    Putting your hand back on the 2H weapon in a useful way isn't a nonaction - you've unreadied the weapon, and you'll need to consume your 1/turn free use item to re-ready it. Not a big deal unless you're doing other things as well, but worth mentioning that it isn't totally and wholly free, unlike the rest of it.
    This is incorrect. It is free.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...93963979972608

Question asker: He's basically saying that switching between 1 or 2 hands is a non-action.

Crawford: That's correct.
    Same for swapping grips on a Versatile weapon. Unless you actually drop the weapon entirely, you don't need to use an object interaction to "ready" it.

So for the people who are saying Swords makes a better archer than Valor - in what respect are we saying that? For a damage focus? It seems to me it would depend how you want to play. If your goal is "archer first, bard second" then I think I get the argument. But if the goal is "bard first, archer instead of cantrip spam" then I would lean Valor. And at high levels you get to throw out an archery attack after casting a Bard spell, which isn't nothing if you're using Sharpshooter.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Evaar View Post
    So for the people who are saying Swords makes a better archer than Valor - in what respect are we saying that? For a damage focus? It seems to me it would depend how you want to play. If your goal is "archer first, bard second" then I think I get the argument. But if the goal is "bard first, archer instead of cantrip spam" then I would lean Valor. And at high levels you get to throw out an archery attack after casting a Bard spell, which isn't nothing if you're using Sharpshooter.
    It's a better archer as in actually has ways to improve it's own archery beyond Extra Attack, it seems liek a pretty clear distinction being an archer isn't about casting Bard spells, it's about shooting things with arrows and Swords is better at that.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    To put it briefly, the Valor Bard basically has a higher damage cantrip, and is better at holding Concentration spells than other Bards.

That's it. Limiting the Bard to relying on weapon attacks like a major feature is like a Wizard relying on Firebolt for most of his damage. Just because it scales doesn't mean it's worthwhile.

Given, Valor does better damage than most other Bard subclasses, it just happens to be on a class that isn't designed to deal damage in the first place.

If you want to focus on dealing weapon damage, be a class that is actually designed around it. You'll get more mileage out of it.
    But if you want to create a party with maximal options and problem solving ability and good damage, it's one of your better bets for filling the "ranged damage dealer"-spot you really do want in every rounded party (up there alongside a few different Warlocks and Bladesinger; though it's of course less difficult to fill the role otherwise with Summon Celestial on the table for Cleric now). It's a decent damage dealer throughout its career by all accounts (though again Swords is better mostly due to having Flourishes especially to cover the Tier 2 where Valor Bard lacks a good buff and the base boosters for the Extra Attack, and Valor Inspiration buffs being not-so-amazing [though the AC buff can be great at times]) and scales up like casters in general, rather than down like martials.

But indeed, when evaluating it, one has to of course evaluate it as a caster with solid at-will, rather than pure at-will character: it always has the option of just casting a big spell that can turn the encounter on its head for especially Tier 1 and 2, which is generally going to do more to make a hard encounter easy than damage novas (with some exceptions: something like Demilich you just want to damage nova ASAP if you happen to have magical weapons). It's going to be a great damage dealer on very high levels due to the stupidly powerful spells that occur in Tier 3 and 4, but on the way there it's not going to be dealing as much damage as a Battlemaster at all points (though it's not far behind anything else - damage spells like Hex can of course be Fey-Touched for if that's the way he wants to go though given how feat heavy archery is, that may not be optimal) but he's going to be dealing very relevant damage at superb range (being a good chassis to stack buffs on if needed too) while still casting all sorts of great stuff.

In other words, want to make a strong party that includes a ranged damage dealer and for whatever reason you don't want Swords Bard? Valor is a great archer for the job, one of the best. Want to make a character that maximises the ranged damage it can deal but isn't all that useful all told? It's not the choice before Tier 3-4.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2021-05-10 at 02:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

But if you want to create a party with maximal options and problem solving ability and good damage, it's one of your better bets for filling the "ranged damage dealer"-spot you really do want in every rounded party (up there alongside a few different Warlocks and Bladesinger; though it's of course less difficult to fill the role otherwise with Summon Celestial on the table for Cleric now). It's a decent damage dealer throughout its career by all accounts (though again Swords is better mostly due to having Flourishes especially to cover the Tier 2 where Valor Bard lacks a good buff and the base boosters for the Extra Attack, and Valor Inspiration buffs being not-so-amazing [though the AC buff can be great at times]) and scales up like casters in general, rather than down like martials.

But indeed, when evaluating it, one has to of course evaluate it as a caster with solid at-will, rather than pure at-will character: it always has the option of just casting a big spell that can turn the encounter on its head for especially Tier 1 and 2, which is generally going to do more to make a hard encounter easy than damage novas (with some exceptions: something like Demilich you just want to damage nova ASAP if you happen to have magical weapons). It's going to be a great damage dealer on very high levels due to the stupidly powerful spells that occur in Tier 3 and 4, but on the way there it's not going to be dealing as much damage as a Battlemaster at all points (though it's not far behind anything else - damage spells like Hex can of course be Fey-Touched for if that's the way he wants to go though given how feat heavy archery is, that may not be optimal) but he's going to be dealing very relevant damage at superb range (being a good chassis to stack buffs on if needed too) while still casting all sorts of great stuff.
    My thought-process was "Well, how often does your Bard cast a cantrip?". Then replace that cantrip with 20 damage.

Taking a lesson from the old Bladesinger, putting Extra Attack on a Full Caster doesn't make the Full Casting any less important, even if our human minds are convinced otherwise (fallacies and all that).

It could even be easily fixed by just taking a few levels into Rogue or Fighter or something, but any full-casting Bard is going to be a waste if they aren't planning on leveraging their primary class features as a main tool.

Magical Secrets and Elemental Weapon for a Bard to enhance himself is probably one of the most wasteful strategies I've heard of. That's not because they deal much less damage than a Fighter or something, but because a Bard's talents could be used for so much more than a +2-or-whatever attack bonus on themselves (as they proceed to actually attack maybe 2 rounds in what remains of that fight). Might as well go EK+Wizard by that point, at least you'll have some synergies for that playstyle.

From my experience, the go-to strategy most folks go for with Valor Bards and bows is with Greater Steed. Get a flying mount and just shoot at people from afar, and resist retaliation against your Concentration spells that harass the enemy. You'd get a lot more value as a flying mage than you would a sniping bard.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-05-10 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!