Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 390 of 807
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    [QUOTE=MaxWilson;25085815]Aren't you still in spider form? Transforming back to halfling costs 1 bonus action, Raging costs another. (Since you refresh Shillelagh constantly, I'm fine saying your last Shillelagh from before turning into a spider has another 5 rounds of duration left and won't run out until Round 8 ends.)

    You could try dropping off the ceiling to try to make the falling damage "kill" your spider form instead of spending a bonus action, but it might not work, and you'll land prone and have to spend movement standing up. Is that what you want to do, or would you rather delay Rage until next round?



    Urr will change back to halfling and attack, then he will rage next round.

  2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think the hesitation and inflated perceived difficulty comes from a few things (which I think is largely just us getting used to this modified a game):

    Healing is heavily restricted from rests and we are pretty tapped on resources, making risk aversion very appealing

    It hits hard enough that by the time it's dead the party could be largely down.

    There is likely something ahead of us, avoiding Halberd leaves more resources to deal with it.

    Personally I think we just need to deal with it, it's clearly fixated on Seson and has no visible problem leaving the room. The example from Hawk was a similar Guardian hunting a dragon over vast tracts of land, there's no reason to think this thing would give up and whislt we can burst ahead of it thanks to Hawk, at the end of the day it just has a superior movement speed and reach to catch half of us. Even if we got the time to empty the bag of holding we'd have to leave behind a large portion of what we actually were able to get.


    Ikarou will move to Bohbean and action use the Healer feat on him then bonus action have him attack halberd since they hit hard enough I can't get his hp high enough to tank a hit right now.

    Ikarou draws a vial of luminous blue liquid from his belt, feeding it into the spear's injector he pumps the fluid directly into the network of pipes that makes up Bohbean's vasculatory system. As a gentle whir begins Ikarou moves onto the next step of percussive maintenance, smacking the sweet spot with the butt of his spear.

    That's mah boy, now up and at him

    Spoiler: A rather disappointing Force Empowered Rend
    Show
    5+7= 12 for 6 force
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

    Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

  3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    EDIT: Actually wait how far is Arabella from Seson/the Metalwolf? Could she get within Healing Word range (60 feet) of Seson then back off again?
    She spent rounds 2 and 3 Dashing away and is now about 200' ahead of everyone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    I think the hesitation and inflated perceived difficulty comes from a few things (which I think is largely just us getting used to this modified a game):

    Healing is heavily restricted from rests and we are pretty tapped on resources, making risk aversion very appealing
    You might be right about the modifications. Certainly you guys are now communicating with each other significantly more than you were at the beginning of the encounter.

    On a majority vote (3 out of 5 players) I will allow the party to reset time back to the beginning of round 1, before everybody starts Dashing. If you do this, you retain the memory of what has "happened" so far as a hypothetical tactical example which Hawk sketches out for you back in the corridor, about the potential downside of making a run for it.

    Otherwise we finish playing out Round 4 as is with no retcons, but I think at least two of you are going to die.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-14 at 01:18 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    You might be right about the modifications. Certainly you guys are now communicating with each other significantly more than you were at the beginning of the encounter.
    we did not go through the forming, storming, norming, performing kind of group dynamics that makes for effective teams. My experience in on line versions of D&D is that it takes longer for that process to work, and for PbP it's as necessary of a process as VTT or Dicord.

    It did not help at all that I spent most of the first few days incommunicado and tried to catch up in a form/format that I am still getting used to.
    On a majority vote (3 out of 5 players) I will allow the party to reset time back to the beginning of round 1, before everybody starts Dashing.
    I am happy either way, and we do have back up characters already prepped. (Well, mine's mostly done, will double check a few details later today).
    Otherwise we finish playing out Round 4 as is with no retcons, but I think at least two of you are going to die.
    Death by halberd-wielding golem: it's one way to go. I've had PCs die in worse ways.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-06-14 at 01:20 PM.
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    we did not go through the forming, storming, norming, performing kind of group dynamics that makes for effective teams. My experience in on line versions of D&D is that it takes longer for that process to work, and for PbP it's as necessary of a process as VTT or Dicord.
    I think you're in the middle of Storming phase right now. :) Personally I'd like to see you guys take the mulligan and try the Halberd Metalwolf again, see if you can get to Norming and Performing before you run into the Oni.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-14 at 01:57 PM.
    Purple text = personal judgment which I don't expect you necessarily to share. YMMV.

    Everything on the Internet is opinion but purple text is my way of highlighting that I am not interested in persuading you to share mine.

    This is the Most Important Video You've Never Seen About 5E Design. 5E designers Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson tell you how game design was done, how classes were balanced against each other, etc.

    Why Mark of Storms Warlocks Are Better Tanks Than Most Fighters

  6. - Top - End - #366
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    I'll vote yes on the retcon, but no hard feelings if others want to keep reality as it currently is.

    Although at that point I'll be pushing hard for the Bag of Holding DDoor plan, so less "trying the halberd metalwolf again" and more "executing a better escape plan."
    Last edited by ff7hero; 2021-06-14 at 02:45 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    I'll vote yes on the retcon, but no hard feelings if others want to keep reality as it currently is.

    Although at that point I'll be pushing hard for the Bag of Holding DDoor plan, so less "trying the halberd metalwolf again" and more "executing a better escape plan."
    Indeed. Getting outta here with the loot yields XP; very much for that. And, thanks to Asha's info, we know there's trouble ahead.
    Informing the issue of discoordination includes my observation that it wasn't until a bit late in the game that we had to think for the NPC who out levels us for a bit. I think it took us a round or two to embrace the "use Hawk's assets as though we control them"
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-06-14 at 04:21 PM.
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    I'm okay with either way, if we do turn back time then I'd just want the end result to be us getting out with all of the loot, since loot is the only reason we were here (primary loot just happened to be a pile of dust).

    If we do reverse time and then start to use the DDoor w/Bag of Holding plan, Ikarou will probably want to leverage this to keep Bardslayer away from Hawk.

    For clarity we'd be aiming to DDoor past the guardian room and out to the pyramid entrance right?
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

    Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

  9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Indeed. Getting outta here with the loot yields XP; very much for that. And, thanks to Asha's info, we know there's trouble ahead.
    Informing the issue of discoordination includes my observation that it wasn't until a bit late in the game that we had to think for the NPC who out levels us for a bit. I think it took us a round or two to embrace the "use Hawk's assets as though we control them"
    There's also some awkwardness with Hawk that's directly my responsibility, because of not wanting to directly play the game for you.

    For example, when I noticed many players talking as if the Metalwolf would not land the room it was found in, it would have made sense in-character for Hawk to say, "Nope. It's relentless, and the only reason it's not chasing us now is because we're in the royal apartments." But I kept my mouth shut because of the Czege Principle ("The Czege Principle says that when one person is the author of both the character's adversity and its resolution, play isn't fun") and because showing is sometimes better than telling. Retconning the past as a lecture by Hawk on tactics is appealing because you guys still got to play, and yet Hawk still gets to act in character by mentoring you a bit and predicting the future. (#YesWiseMentorFigures)

    Anyway, there are still some things I'm keeping my mouth shut about and I'll mention a few here in spoilers. Please ignore if DM back seat driving is unwanted:

    Spoiler: Things Hawk Might Say If He Weren't So Scared Of Guardians
    Show
    1.) Nobody has really tried shooting it yet without leaving the royal apartments. Arabella knows Magic Weapon, could cast it on Asha's longbow. Ditto Ikarou's spear.

    2.) Arabella might be able to stun it.

    3.) Urr or Arabella or Asha might be able to tank it with Rage or Patient Defense or Uncanny Dodge. When wounded, they could go back in the forbidden corridor. If you can disarm it and put the halberd in the forbidden corridor this may get even easier.

    4.) Even if you don't want to wait for eight hours in the forbidden corridor, you could do #3 and then take a short rest to recover HP and ki.

    5.) Spending lots of mental effort on how to use Hawk against a Guardian is counterproductive if it's designed as a wizard-killer. It's like relying on a boiled egg to pound nails.

    6.) If the Oni show up, you can ask Hawk to turn four people invisible and Dimension Door out with the fifth.

    7.) Why is no one even considering throwing Bardslayer? With plenty of time to write a story this is the ideal scenario to determine if the Sword actually works as advertised.


    None of the above is based on DM knowledge, so they're not spoilers per se. They're just tactical observations.

    If you want to ask me or Hawk for more details on Oni stats and/or force structure, you may.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-14 at 05:11 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    I'm okay with either way, if we do turn back time then I'd just want the end result to be us getting out with all of the loot, since loot is the only reason we were here (primary loot just happened to be a pile of dust)
    [Evil DM Laughter] I bet you could carry a lot more loot if you had some mammoths...
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-14 at 05:14 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #371
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    If Urr deadlifts his maximum "lift off the ground" weight (30xStr) and then Wild Shapes (say something super tiny like a normal spider), would everything he's lifting be merged with his spider body? This might help us optimize our loot extraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

  12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    I'm going to rule that no, only normal carrying capacity is compatible with wildshape transform. Too many questions and corner cases the other way.
    Purple text = personal judgment which I don't expect you necessarily to share. YMMV.

    Everything on the Internet is opinion but purple text is my way of highlighting that I am not interested in persuading you to share mine.

    This is the Most Important Video You've Never Seen About 5E Design. 5E designers Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson tell you how game design was done, how classes were balanced against each other, etc.

    Why Mark of Storms Warlocks Are Better Tanks Than Most Fighters

  13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Spoiler: OC
    Show


    There's also some awkwardness with Hawk that's directly my responsibility, because of not wanting to directly play the game for you.

    For example, when I noticed many players talking as if the Metalwolf would not land the room it was found in, it would have made sense in-character for Hawk to say, "Nope. It's relentless, and the only reason it's not chasing us now is because we're in the royal apartments." But I kept my mouth shut because of the Czege Principle ("The Czege Principle says that when one person is the author of both the character's adversity and its resolution, play isn't fun") and because showing is sometimes better than telling. Retconning the past as a lecture by Hawk on tactics is appealing because you guys still got to play, and yet Hawk still gets to act in character by mentoring you a bit and predicting the future. (#YesWiseMentorFigures)

    Anyway, there are still some things I'm keeping my mouth shut about and I'll mention a few here in spoilers. Please ignore if DM back seat driving is unwanted:

    Spoiler: Things Hawk Might Say If He Weren't So Scared Of Guardians
    Show
    1.) Nobody has really tried shooting it yet without leaving the royal apartments. Arabella knows Magic Weapon, could cast it on Asha's longbow. Ditto Ikarou's spear.

    2.) Arabella might be able to stun it.

    3.) Urr or Arabella or Asha might be able to tank it with Rage or Patient Defense or Uncanny Dodge. When wounded, they could go back in the forbidden corridor. If you can disarm it and put the halberd in the forbidden corridor this may get even easier.

    4.) Even if you don't want to wait for eight hours in the forbidden corridor, you could do #3 and then take a short rest to recover HP and ki.

    5.) Spending lots of mental effort on how to use Hawk against a Guardian is counterproductive if it's designed as a wizard-killer. It's like relying on a boiled egg to pound nails.

    6.) If the Oni show up, you can ask Hawk to turn four people invisible and Dimension Door out with the fifth.

    7.) Why is no one even considering throwing Bardslayer? With plenty of time to write a story this is the ideal scenario to determine if the Sword actually works as advertised.


    None of the above is based on DM knowledge, so they're not spoilers per se. They're just tactical observations.

    If you want to ask me or Hawk for more details on Oni stats and/or force structure, you may.
    Spoiler: just a thing about sentient blades
    Show

    I am not gonna try to tell the wielder of that sentient sword how to use it (IC and OOC sentiment) - been in way to many bad secnes that included such attempt by other players and PCs ...
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Valmark's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Montevarchi, Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I'd like the "this was all a theory" retconning idea! Maybe this time I can actually think smartly.

    As far as using Bard Slayer goes if someone wants to (not Hawk, at least yet) but Arabella doesn't like to lie to Bard Slayer- she knows its definition of evil is weird and it wouldn't remember anyway, but still she doesn't think the construct as evil and doesn't really want to use the weapon.
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

    Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Do you want to see one being played? Nothing is currently recruiting.


  15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    (Looks like we have a tentative majority, so...)

    Day 4, around 11:30pm.

    "...And that's what might happen if we don't make a plan," Hawk said solemnly. "We're only going to get one shot at this and the stakes are high, so we all need to work together." He gazed around the circle, meeting the gaze of Seson, Ikarou, Arabella, Asha, and Urr in turn, as they all stood around Hawk's sketch in the royal apartment corridor, around the bend from the room where the metalwolf lurked, looking at a diagram showing disaster.

    "The way I see it, we have three primary options. We can either attempt to kill the Guardian, we can wait for the Oni to arrive and then ambush them when they are fighting it, or we can try to evade them both and sneak away before the Oni can arrive. I do believe that the Oni will know we were here--the traces are obvious--and we have a long, hard march ahead of us if we want to stay ahead of them long enough to lose them, but it might be easier than fighting them. I don't believe I can be much help with the Guardian--they have a reputation as nearly impervious to magic--but I might be helpful in evading it, especially with a good night's sleep. But each of you has unique skills and abilities as well--indeed, that's why I invited you to join this expedition! Perhaps you can achieve what I surely could not. Furthermore, though it turns out the prize we sought was not here, we found other prizes that we didn't expect, and perhaps that Sword of vengeance will turn out to be more valuable than even Snorri's Mummy would have been. Perhaps the Guardian is an ideal test of the Sword's capabilities and its boast to be able to kill anything, anywhere--the worst that can happen is that the Guardian survives and we are no worse off than before. I'm not much of a poet but if necessary I volunteer to throw the sword, if someone else will help me write the account of the evils the Guardian has done us.

    "For those of you not native to the Oni Empire, I can tell you something about their nature and abilities, although of course we don't know for sure that they're even here yet nor how many of them there are--the best I can do is conjecture based on past experience."

    Everyone regains all the HP, abilities, etc. which they lost over rounds 1-4 against the metalwolf. I will keep the Drama point Hawk earned though.

    It's been another hour so I am rolling 2d6 to see if the Oni got here while Hawk was talking: [1,2]. It wasn't snake eyes so they aren't here yet.

    What do you want to do (including declaring dramatic scenes), or to ask the DM or each other?
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-14 at 09:03 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    What do you want to do (including declaring dramatic scenes), or to ask the DM or each other?
    OK, need to reset brain and notes so that I am back in correct mode. RL is a bit needy right now, will try to make an input later on ...
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    What Hawk says is true. This guardian will attack us no matter what. We know the Oni are coming. We let the Oni and the guardian fight and then we pick off the winner. Other wise the guardian will continue to track us and so would the Oni.So we wait is my vote. Urr says to the group.

  18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I support using the metal wolf against the Oni, I mean think about all the loot we can carry with mammoths!

    Plinking it to death would take a while and we run the risk of the Oni arriving to our position clear and the damage Guardian.

    Since we don't know when they might arrive, what does everyone think of starting a long rest? The Steel Defender doesn't need sleep so can supplement watch for the entire time. The difference between running at full resources (especailly Hawk) and right now would be night and day, if we get interupted by the Oni entering conflict with the guardian then we've lost nothing and will be ready to execute #planlastonestanding.

    I do have some questions for Hawk about the capability of Oni and if there's any remains in the tomb he could use for replenishing his cadre of undead.


    Hawk, I'm unfamiliar with our enemy what can you tell me about them? Also, we are literally in a tomb, is there any remains that might be of reanimation use to you?
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

    Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

  19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Spoiler: OC, @Dork_Forge
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Plinking it to death would take a while and we run the risk of the Oni arriving to our position clear and the damage Guardian.

    Since we don't know when they might arrive, what does everyone think of starting a long rest?
    I just want to note that plinking it to death, if it works, is orders of magnitude quicker than a long rest: minutes vs. hours.

    I don't actually need you to declare what kind of a rest you're taking--you can just say you're resting, and after you satisfy the requirements you can claim the benefits of whatever kind of rest you want. E.g. if you start resting with the intent of taking a long rest, and then the Oni show up after 2 hours, you can still claim short rest benefits. (Or you could claim a short rest after 1 hour, with the intent of resting 8 more hours to get a long rest, etc. Short and long rests still can't overlap but you can decide which one it was retroactively.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Hawk, I'm unfamiliar with our enemy what can you tell me about them? Also, we are literally in a tomb, is there any remains that might be of reanimation use to you?
    Hawk indicates that he needs human-sized bones or corpses to reanimate, and you have only seen Jotun remains and human-sized undead like ghouls and mummies, which aren't suitable. [I'm open to changing this rule if you guys want to. AD&D Animate Dead works on anything, including dead Jotun children. -Max]

    "The most important things to know about the Onis is that they are nearly immortal--when slain, their spirit escapes to possess a new body, unless you kill the spirit as well--and they are gluttonous, fractious, and vain. In many ways they reflect the vices of humanity. Because Oni are so chaotic, Dai Onis, who wish to rule over other Onis, often employ human administrators and generals to enforce their will over other Onis. It would be completely normal and expected to find a unit of three to ten Oni Tomb Robbers commanded by a human so-called Demon General (a rank), and perhaps assisted by a human sorcerer (a wizard trained in Oni magic and trusted by the Dai Oni to do magical research and other magical duties)."

    Hawk gives you some more specific information on Onis, which take the form of stat blocks which I will write up for you in a separate post later today but can't right now in post 385. These stat blocks will be approximately correct but might have minor mistakes or oversights in them because Hawk is estimating.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-16 at 02:45 PM.
    Purple text = personal judgment which I don't expect you necessarily to share. YMMV.

    Everything on the Internet is opinion but purple text is my way of highlighting that I am not interested in persuading you to share mine.

    This is the Most Important Video You've Never Seen About 5E Design. 5E designers Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson tell you how game design was done, how classes were balanced against each other, etc.

    Why Mark of Storms Warlocks Are Better Tanks Than Most Fighters

  20. - Top - End - #380
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Hawk, is there a chance that the Oni tomb raiders would be able to tame that construct? It's a tool of one Oni, mayhap other Oni would have a means of controlling it.

    If not, I support the hide and let our enemies fight plan. Could we fake some chalk marks deeper in from here to lead the tomb raiders to peril, or at least lead them away from us?

    If the rest of you need to rest and recover, I'm still feeling fresh so I can keep watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

  21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Hawk, is there a chance that the Oni tomb raiders would be able to tame that construct? It's a tool of one Oni, mayhap other Oni would have a means of controlling it.
    "Oh no, it was never a tool of the Oni. Jotuns predate the Oni by thousands of years. The Jotun population collapsed roughly two thousand years ago and they turned to isolation. The Oni only conquered this land recently, over the course of my own lifetime. We were a free people once, with no masters but our own elected leaders."

    "I can't rule out the possibility that they will have means to control it though. I don't know much about Guardians other than their reputation. Certainly I've never learned the secret, but the Tomb Raiders are elites, well-trained and well-equipped with access to the resources of a whole province, sometimes more."

    DM comment: I'm actually planning on rolling this randomly with oracle dice. "Can the Oni take control of the Guardian?" Roll d6 twice, take the lowest because it seems unlikely. 4 = Yes, but..., 5 = Yes, and 6 = Yes, and...

    If not, I support the hide and let our enemies fight plan. Could we fake some chalk marks deeper in from here to lead the tomb raiders to peril, or at least lead them away from us?
    Is that a question to Hawk or the DM? Hawk says it's worth a shot, if you can get past the Guardian (halberd metalwolf). DM says, "Yes, but they'll get there eventually anyway. Unless you have a specific way to use the time, it will have no noticeable effect."

    Oh, by "deeper in from here" do you mean here in the royal apartments? Where would you want to lead them? There's just three rooms: the corridor, the sarcophagus room, and the treasure room.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-15 at 01:21 PM.
    Purple text = personal judgment which I don't expect you necessarily to share. YMMV.

    Everything on the Internet is opinion but purple text is my way of highlighting that I am not interested in persuading you to share mine.

    This is the Most Important Video You've Never Seen About 5E Design. 5E designers Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson tell you how game design was done, how classes were balanced against each other, etc.

    Why Mark of Storms Warlocks Are Better Tanks Than Most Fighters

  22. - Top - End - #382
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    "Oh no, it was never a tool of the Oni. Jotuns predate the Oni by thousands of years. The Jotun population collapsed roughly two thousand years ago and they turned to isolation. The Oni only conquered this land recently, over the course of my own lifetime. We were a free people once, with no masters but our own elected leaders."

    "I can't rule out the possibility that they will have means to control it though. I don't know much about Guardians other than their reputation. Certainly I've never learned the secret, but the Tomb Raiders are elites, well-trained and well-equipped with access to the resources of a whole province, sometimes more."

    Is that a question to Hawk or the DM? Hawk says it's worth a shot, if you can get past the Guardian (halberd metalwolf). DM says, "Yes, but they'll get there eventually anyway. Unless you have a specific way to use the time, it will have no noticeable effect."

    Oh, by "deeper in from here" do you mean here in the royal apartments? Where would you want to lead them? There's just three rooms: the corridor, the sarcophagus room, and the treasure room.
    My apologies. I sometimes confuse tyrants with more brawn than brains.

    If there are only two rooms beyond here, we should erase our chalk marks to whichever we'll be hiding in, as well as any marks you made while leaving the other room. Make them think we're in the sarcophagus room while we rest in the treasure room or vicey versey."
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

  23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    If there are only two rooms beyond here, we should erase our chalk marks to whichever we'll be hiding in, as well as any marks you made while leaving the other room. Make them think we're in the sarcophagus room while we rest in the treasure room or vicey versey."
    Hawk agrees and does so.
    Purple text = personal judgment which I don't expect you necessarily to share. YMMV.

    Everything on the Internet is opinion but purple text is my way of highlighting that I am not interested in persuading you to share mine.

    This is the Most Important Video You've Never Seen About 5E Design. 5E designers Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson tell you how game design was done, how classes were balanced against each other, etc.

    Why Mark of Storms Warlocks Are Better Tanks Than Most Fighters

  24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Right. Rest it is. Agree with Asha's plan to provide at least modest misdirection.
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Some Oni stat blocks to the best of Hawk's knowledge:

    Hawk of course uses different language to convey these ideas. He doesn't say "40-50 HP," he says something like "significantly tougher than a rhinoceros."

    Ko-Oni: Tiny, Int 7-10ish, speed 120', 8-12ish HP, AC 16 (10 + 6 from Dex), can Dodge as a bonus action, Evasion like a Rogue or Monk, three attacks with dagger/dart/arrow at approximately +8 for weapon damage + 6.

    Oni (a.k.a. True Oni or Lesser Oni depending on the audience): Large (can shapechange down to Tiny), Int 10-14ish, 40' movement, 100-120ish HP, AC 16-8 usually (chain mail armor, sometimes with shield), 10 HP/round regeneration, magical weapons, two attacks at approximately +8 for Large weapon damage +5, e.g. 2d8+5 for a longsword. Variable magic (DC 11-13ish), some of it at will: spells like Charm Person, Invisibility, Magic Missile and Sleep are typical at-will spells; spells like Fireball, Cone of Cold, Dimension Door, Fly, and Telekinesis are typical on a more restricted basis (spell points). Can learn new magic but usually doesn't bother, sticks with individual favorites. Can assume the form of any humanoid creature type (e.g. dwarves) from size Tiny to Large, but not the appearance of a specific individual, and an individual Oni is still recognizable by those who know it well even in another form.

    Dai Oni: Huge (can shapechange down to Tiny), Int 12-16ish, 40' movement, 200-240ish HP, AC 18ish usually (plate armor), 10 HP/round regeneration, magical weapons, two attacks at approximately +13 for Huge weapon damage +8 plus a spell as a bonus action, e.g. 2 attacks at 3d10+8 for a halberd plus a bonus action Fireball. Variable magic (DC 15-17ish), much more powerful than Lesser Onis. Spells like Teleport, Forcecage, and Illusory Dragon are not unheard-of but destructive spells like Wall of Fire and Sickening Radiance preferred. Typically rely on human wizards to do magical research for them but can learn spells. Can shapechange like lesser Oni.

    Semi-immortality:

    For all three types of Oni, reduction to zero HP does not trigger death saves, instead it expels the Oni spirit from the host body (per Magic Jar--instantly killing the host body unless the original so-called "soul"/mind/spirit/whatever is still intact) and the Oni becomes a cloud of vapor with HP equal to half the full form's HP (e.g. 4-6ish HP for a Ko-Oni), immune to nonmagical weapon damage, which can possess new targets by slowly moving into the target's space (10' fly speed) and attempting possession (costs an action; resistable with Cha save; success on save gives cumulative +4 on saves against that particular Oni's possession). On successful possession, the host body keeps its original stats and appearance at first but will gradually change to that of the possessing Oni over the course of a week or so. The spirit/soul/mind/whatever continues to perceive the world and can communicate with the Oni, who generally ignores it completely. The soul makes a Cha save every day against the Oni's DC, with failure reducing effective Cha by 1 for purposes of future saves and Cha 0 = spirit/soul ceases to exist in the Oni's mind.

    If the Oni is expelled the body reverts to its original form and the host body's mind/spirit/soul/whatever regains control if it still exists, otherwise it just becomes a freshly-dead body.

    Onis commonly use Bakemono (MM Goblins) for additional muscle/cannon fodder.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-16 at 02:48 PM.
    Purple text = personal judgment which I don't expect you necessarily to share. YMMV.

    Everything on the Internet is opinion but purple text is my way of highlighting that I am not interested in persuading you to share mine.

    This is the Most Important Video You've Never Seen About 5E Design. 5E designers Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson tell you how game design was done, how classes were balanced against each other, etc.

    Why Mark of Storms Warlocks Are Better Tanks Than Most Fighters

  26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Right. Rest it is. Agree with Asha's plan to provide at least modest misdirection.
    [rolls dice]

    8 hours passes without incident. You have just completed a long rest and everyone is refreshed.
    Purple text = personal judgment which I don't expect you necessarily to share. YMMV.

    Everything on the Internet is opinion but purple text is my way of highlighting that I am not interested in persuading you to share mine.

    This is the Most Important Video You've Never Seen About 5E Design. 5E designers Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson tell you how game design was done, how classes were balanced against each other, etc.

    Why Mark of Storms Warlocks Are Better Tanks Than Most Fighters

  27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Valmark's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Montevarchi, Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Should say it here too, the more summer keeps up the harder it'll be for me to keep up and post.

    That said wow I don't want to be near an Oni when it dies.

    Also just to be clear Asha is now together with the rest of the group? He isn't separated anymore?
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

    Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Do you want to see one being played? Nothing is currently recruiting.


  28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Spoiler: Ikarou at the end of the rest
    Show
    I'm going to risk being 3hp below max, it just isn't worth burning a hit die on.

    I realise that I have only been using two of my three available infusions* and as Hawk has not relayed any resistance to nonmagical immunity from the potential Oni obstacle I'll stick with a defensive option.

    Bohbean swapped out for a fresh defender, full hp and Repairs.

    Spoiler: Ikarou's Infusions, active denoted by **
    Show
    Returning Weapon (Spear)**
    Replicate Magic Item (Bag of Holding)**
    Homunculus Servant
    Radiant Weapon
    Enhanced Weapon
    Repulsion Shield**


    Spoiler: OOC Question for the party
    Show
    Does anyone have any suggestions for spells that might be handy for Ikarou to prepare for the end of the rest? Cure Wounds is a mainstay, I'm pretty flexible on the others.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

    Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

  29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Spoiler: OC, @Valmark
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Should say it here too, the more summer keeps up the harder it'll be for me to keep up and post.

    That said wow I don't want to be near an Oni when it dies.

    Also just to be clear Asha is now together with the rest of the group? He isn't separated anymore?
    Asha is with the group, yes.

    If you mention your concerns to Hawk, he'll tell you that there are spells that can protect against possession. Magic Circle is one of them and he has enough material components for several more castings.

    Spoiler: OC, @Valmark and @All, RE: schedule
    Show
    Do you think we should formalize the posting schedule a little bit more?

    Who feels like we're going too fast and expecting too much?

    Who feels like it's too slow?

    Who feels like the pace is okay but needs more predictability?

    I am trying to be responsive to you guys in answering your questions and resolving your actions swiftly but I also worry that by doing so I'm rushing other players, which is one reason I sort of want you guys to have a party leader who can say "DM, we're doing this, now execute!" So far I feel like managing that part of pacing is the most challenging part of Internet DMing and I'd love your feedback on what I can do better.

    Spoiler: OC, @Ikarou
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    I realise that I have only been using two of my three available infusions* and as Hawk has not relayed any resistance to nonmagical immunity from the potential Oni obstacle I'll stick with a defensive option.
    Do note this part:

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Semi-immortality:

    For all three types of Oni, reduction to zero HP does not trigger death saves, instead it expels the Oni spirit from the host body (per Magic Jar--instantly killing the host body unless the original so-called "soul"/mind/spirit/whatever is still intact) and the Oni becomes a cloud of vapor with HP equal to half the full form's HP (e.g. 4-6ish HP for a Ko-Oni), immune to nonmagical weapon damage, which can possess new targets by slowly moving into the target's space
    Also, your spear is the only thing so far that has damaged the metalwolf (in Hawk's hypothetical sketch at least).
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-16 at 03:50 PM.
    Purple text = personal judgment which I don't expect you necessarily to share. YMMV.

    Everything on the Internet is opinion but purple text is my way of highlighting that I am not interested in persuading you to share mine.

    This is the Most Important Video You've Never Seen About 5E Design. 5E designers Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson tell you how game design was done, how classes were balanced against each other, etc.

    Why Mark of Storms Warlocks Are Better Tanks Than Most Fighters

  30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Evil Oni Empire Adventure #1

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson;25088934
    [spoiler=OC, @Valmark and @All, RE: schedule
    Do you think we should formalize the posting schedule a little bit more?

    Who feels like we're going too fast and expecting too much?

    Who feels like it's too slow?

    Who feels like the pace is okay but needs more predictability?

    I am trying to be responsive to you guys in answering your questions and resolving your actions swiftly but I also worry that by doing so I'm rushing other players, which is one reason I sort of want you guys to have a party leader who can say "DM, we're doing this, now execute!" So far I feel like managing that part of pacing is the most challenging part of Internet DMing and I'd love your feedback on what I can do better.[/spoiler]
    This is my first time participating in a PbP so I'm not really sure what pacing is meant to be like, it feels a bit slow to me, but I think that's largely to be expected from the format. I think you've been doing a good job thus far Max.


    Spoiler: OC, @Ikarou
    Show



    Do note this part:



    Also, your spear is the only thing so far that has damaged the metalwolf (in Hawk's hypothetical sketch at least).
    Spoiler: OOC Max and @ff7hero
    Show
    Hmm I'd forgotten about that part when I was reviewing my infusions. I'm not particularly concerned about the metalwolf:

    Urr uses a magical weapon by default it seems, Arabella always has access magical damage conversion/riders via domain spells, and Seson is primarily casting by the looks of it. Asha is the odd one out but so far he's only thrown darts, so it's worth asking:

    @ff7hero: Will Asha only use darts? I can only use Returning once (and it's on my spear), is Asha open to/carries a nonthrown weapon?

    If desired I can infuse one with Radiant Weapon instead of infusing my shield since I don't think you have access to magical damage otherwise.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

    Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •