Default Re: Venom 2 Trailer Finally Out

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    The Matrix.
    The Matrix is rated R.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Sony and Marvel are going for a blockbuster; there's almost no chance this will come out rated R.
    Well this plus the fact the first film to me was a mild delight means I'm probably not gonna see it.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    The first movie was PG-13, correct? It seems unlikely then that the sequel will be rated R. Can anyone name a precedent for that? A film having a PG-13 rating, then its sequel being bumped up to R?
    The X-Men series started with PG-13 films then eventually strayed into some R rated films. I think the DCEU has done the same.
    Last edited by Magic_Hat; 2021-05-12 at 10:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    You aren't saying it can't, but you are saying it won't. I'm asking why you think so,
    I'm essentially calling the studio executives cowards, here.

Cutting out the rest of that because it deals with arguments and opinions I have no association to. I don't care if R-rated comic movies can sell, or if the suits think they can sell, or if some sweaty cartoon-avatar guy on YouTube thinks they should sell. It's none of my business.
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2021-05-12 at 05:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Matrix is rated R.
    So it is, my mistake.

I distinctly remember news stories about how the sequel was going to be rated R back when it came out, I wonder why that was newsworthy is it was the same as the original…
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Well this plus the fact the first film to me was a mild delight means I'm probably not gonna see it.

edit:

The X-Men series started with PG-13 films then eventually strayed into some R rated films.
    Given that the latter X-Men films made less money and are generally thought to not be as good, that's not a great argument for a series going from PG-13 to R. Though a drop in both quality and box office is typical for sequels.
    Last edited by dps; 2021-05-13 at 06:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Spamalot in the Playground

While it's true the X-Men movies had some R-rated installments, those were arguably spinoffs of the main property rather than true sequels. What I haven't seen (or at least don't remember) is a direct sequel switching ratings.

But hey, there was once a time when we were told any R-rated superhero movie at all (that wasn't, say, Blade) couldn't sell either.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I will point out that the Harry Potter movies started as PG and ended up as R, but they're like the one notable example of something like this happening that I know of.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I will point out that the Harry Potter movies started as PG and ended up as R, but they're like the one notable example of something like this happening that I know of.
    Not quite. They started PG and rose to PG-13, but none of the films were ever rated R.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Not quite. They started PG and rose to PG-13, but none of the films were ever rated R.
    Ah, my bad. I thought Deathly Hallows hit R. Maybe I was just thinking that because some moments in there are really dark.

Then yeah, I have no idea.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

Something interesting to note.

Frances "shriek" Barrison, Carnage's girlfriend and the closest thing, other than his symbiote, he has to someone he is capable of feeling empathy for, is in this film.

In the comics, Shriek is a mutant. Homo s superior, like the X-Men.

they'll probably handwave that away or not mention it... But almost all Mutant characters that existed at the time were part of the deal with Fox to produce the X-Men movies, so there's a non-zero chance that Shriek was not part of the initial stock of Spider-Man characters that Sony got ahold of forever and a day ago that they are now using for the SUMC.

And IIRC they are continuously very mum on whether or not the SUMC and the MCU are connected or not. So that's a thing to keep an eye out on references to.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #41

Griffon

The video that Psyren posted cites a tweet while completely encapsules my feelings on the first Venom movie: "It wasn't good, but I liked it".

And frankly, as I get older and more jaded, that's quite a high bar for movies and TV shows to pass for me. If Venom 2 ends up "not good, but enjoyable" even if it's just more of the same - Tom Hardy being a mess for 2 hours while CGI blobs trade witticisms with each other - I'll be perfectly happy, and so far the trailer suggests that's what we will get. I'm optimistic, but with low expectations.

The first movie was PG-13, correct? It seems unlikely then that the sequel will be rated R. Can anyone name a precedent for that? A film having a PG-13 rating, then its sequel being bumped up to R?
    Aliens versus Predator, followed by AvP:Requiem.

Now, I *liked* AvP:Requiem. It was dark and dumb and did some weird things to the Alien/Predator canon, but nothing worse than what have been done by Alien: Resurrection or Alien vs. Predator and it had a bunch of people being eaten by Aliens while Predators fought them. It was enjoyable. But to say that the R-Rated sequel was better than the PG-13 original is.... Well, using the word "better" as opposed to "good" is doing a LOT of heavy lifting in that sentence, that's all I'm saying.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Something interesting to note.

Frances "shriek" Barrison, Carnage's girlfriend and the closest thing, other than his symbiote, he has to someone he is capable of feeling empathy for, is in this film.

In the comics, Shriek is a mutant. Homo s superior, like the X-Men.

they'll probably handwave that away or not mention it... But almost all Mutant characters that existed at the time were part of the deal with Fox to produce the X-Men movies, so there's a non-zero chance that Shriek was not part of the initial stock of Spider-Man characters that Sony got ahold of forever and a day ago that they are now using for the SUMC.

And IIRC they are continuously very mum on whether or not the SUMC and the MCU are connected or not. So that's a thing to keep an eye out on references to.
    It will be really interesting to see if Sony and Marvel's new deal allows Sony to officially play in a corner of the MCU or if the Sony movies will act like they are in the MCU without the MCU ever acknowledging Sony's movies.
    "Never tell me the odds!"

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetWaraxe View Post
    It will be really interesting to see if Sony and Marvel's new deal allows Sony to officially play in a corner of the MCU or if the Sony movies will act like they are in the MCU without the MCU ever acknowledging Sony's movies.
    Kind of like the netflix series or agents of shield did?
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2021-05-17 at 02:22 PM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.