New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Crisis of Infinite Earth - Gatekeeping?

So my girlfriend has been binging DC Legends of Tomorrow, and really enjoying it. She noticed that the next episode she'd due to watch is "Crisis on Infinite Earth: Part 5".

She has watched, like, a single season of Arrow, and hasn't really kept up with the rest of the DC Series. So now she worries that this episode will keep her from enjoying the rest of the series. So here's a series of questions progressing toward skipping more and more of that story:

1- Can you watch Crisis of Infinite Earth (the entire saga) without having watched any of the other series?
    2- Can you watch just Part 5 of Crisis on Infinite Earth (since she doesn't have have a ready access to the other series)?
    3- Can you just skip the entire Crisis on Infinite Earth and still enjoy the rest of the show Legends of Tomorrow?

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Crisis of Infinite Earth - Gatekeeping?

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    So my girlfriend has been binging DC Legends of Tomorrow, and really enjoying it. She noticed that the next episode she'd due to watch is "Crisis on Infinite Earth: Part 5".

She has watched, like, a single season of Arrow, and hasn't really kept up with the rest of the DC Series. So now she worries that this episode will keep her from enjoying the rest of the series. So here's a series of questions progressing toward skipping more and more of that story:

1- Can you watch Crisis of Infinite Earth (the entire saga) without having watched any of the other series?
    2- Can you watch just Part 5 of Crisis on Infinite Earth (since she doesn't have have a ready access to the other series)?
    3- Can you just skip the entire Crisis on Infinite Earth and still enjoy the rest of the show Legends of Tomorrow?

Thanks
    1- Yes, sort of, you miss a few, but it will be a little confusing
    2- Yes, it brings you up to date on how the world is now due to some of events of 1-4. Major events changed everything.
    You can just watch technically because it shows the new status quo.
    It sets up the world for new shows like Stargirl and potential Green Lantern series.

3- Yes mostly

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    1- Yes, sort of, you miss a few, but it will be a little confusing
    2- Yes, it brings you up to date on how the world is now due to some of events of 1-4. Major events changed everything.
    You can just watch technically because it shows the new status quo.
    It sets up the world for new shows like Stargirl and potential Green Lantern series.

3- Yes mostly
    Thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

I would try to find a recap video online, similar to what I was suggesting for non-MCU aficionados hoping to catch up for Wandavision and FatWS. This one looks promising but there may be something more recent:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I can't speak for Legends of Tomorrow, but I ran into the same issue with Supergirl. That's the only one of those shows I watch, and when they do their annual crossovers, I only watch the Supergirl one. Largely, it's not a problem. Either the show would recap anything important that happened, or it just would have no bearing on anything and be totally skippable anyway.

But Crisis was another story. I tried the same thing there, and was pretty lost afterward. To the point I had to go look up a synopsis to figure out what was going on.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I watched the whole crisis and was still left feeling like I'd missed an episode at the beginning. It's just like that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunnow. We watched episode 5 of the serie, didn't hate it, and then we decided to check the rest of the series.

I still don't know, like, 50% of the plot points. All these peoples are complete unknowns. This feels like a power rangers team up episode where I didn't watch this season's.