New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Starter Deck for Learning Pokemon

I want to get a decent, but not overly complicated, starter deck for the Pokemon card game for my daughter's 7th birthday. But I don't know the game and so I was hoping to get advice here on what starter deck to buy and where best to get it.
    I don't want a tier 1 deck, just something to help learn the rules and play with friends.

Also, if anyone knows a good tutorial on how to play on Youtube, much appreciated. I know Yugioh (at least from about 5 years ago) and have played a bit of Magic The Gathering, but I don't know the Pokemon rules.

And... not sure if this matters... but I say "starter deck" because I know Yugioh had some starter decks you could buy. They were mostly junky for even casual competitive play (like local hobby shop competitions), but at least worked (as in, were playable) and good to learn the game. So something comparable for Pokemon is what I'm hoping to find. If it's cheap, even better.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-05-21 at 10:01 AM. Reason: refine title

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Starter Deck for Learning Pokemon

Download the Pokemon TCG Online game, it has a pretty easy tutorial and you can use a code on every physical product to get the same on the online version.

What you're looking for is a theme deck. They are trash, but made for learning. A step up would be the V Battle Decks, and a step down would be the very old Trainer Kits which are 2 half-decks made to play each other.

Pokemon is in the midst of a bubble though, so how 'cheap' or available they are would depend on your location and local community. But you should be able to get one from Amazon or Ebay or dead unsold stock from your local LGS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

The official product nintendo has been pushing for beginners is the 'Eevee and Pikachu learn to play together' deck. I assume it comes with a mat, damage markers, and all the other stuff.

I recently started up collecting as a pandemic hobby, hoping that the events start up. I've found the theme decks are, additionally, really light on mechanics. For example, pokemon that are worth two/three prizes when knocked out. Those are everywhere, but not in the premade decks.

But they are available and not at a 500% markup, so hey that's something

edit- found it on amazon, the name is "Pokemon Let's Play Pokémon TCG Box" and comes with 2 60 card decks.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2021-05-22 at 10:22 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Online stuff doesn't work great as I want to play it with physical cards with the kids. I'm sure she'd be happy playing it on a tablet or some such, but I'd find it frustrating. Sounds useful otherwise, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    edit- found it on amazon, the name is "Pokemon Let's Play Pokémon TCG Box" and comes with 2 60 card decks.
    This looks perfect! Thank you.