New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

With Avakuss dealing with Hesum's lack of clothing, and other needs, Eilyra keeps focused on her scroll(Although retaining alertness and subtly monitoring Hesum), but she offers a quick glance as she is introduced.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel is a bit surprised at Avakuss' request, but agrees to help and soon provides a simple outfit with a shirt, pants, and boots. He also brings a bowl of stew with some kind of meat, and some ale.

After putting on the clothing and thanking Joel and you, Hesum sits down to eat He says "I never heard of Sigil. We must be very far from where I used to live. But that's not as important as the fact that much time has passed. Probably many generations. Anyone I ever knew must be dead by now, and I did not have children. So, there would really be nothing for me to return to anyway. I would be a newcomer there too.

So I might as well accept your offer, Avakuss, and stay in this new place. Do you think a man like me could make a living here?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cuprilach replies "This place is kind of a social club right now. If you wish to explore the benefits of the Sensate philosophy, you could probably ask around for what you seek. This would take time.

But I get the impression that your interests are more narrow. Still I might know someone who can help. I'll let you in, and introduce you, but you must leave your weapons with me. I am Leron, by the way."

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Still in her pseudo-angelic guise, Ash smiles and raises a hand in greeting.

"This is very kind of you, Leron. I very much appreciate it. I'm intrigued by the Sensate philosophy, an exploration for another day, but as you say, our current interest is much more focused.

"Call me Ash. This is Taric. And I don't carry a blade."

She turns to Taric, rather assuming that his process of disarming may be a more extensive one. Once he has divested himself, Ash prepares to follow Leron further inside.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ash will be her normal watchful self:
    Spotting anything especially noteworthy: (1d20+50)[55]
    Sense Motive (Leron and the new person): (1d20+29)[44]
    Diplomacy if needed, although Leron seems to be being very helpful already: (1d20+17)[26]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #844
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avakuss nods to Hesum. "You have a rare opportunity to start fresh and make a life of what you will. At least until then you are welcome to stay at one of my schools, learning from us and sharing your knowledge and wisdom. Sigil has a full range of creatures types ranging from pure evil to pure good mostly in truce. Major threats to the city are handled by a force that even deities are powerless against while here in this city, though smaller levels of violence do happen so one must keep their wits about. Let's leave Eilyra to her studies." Avakuss checks with her to confirm their meeting time then leads Hesum out once he is done eating. On their way out of the Black Sail he gives a thankful nod and wave to Joel. "Joel did for me what I'm offering for you."

Avakuss led Hesum slowly through the city to the Lady's Ward, allowing him to take in the sights, while Avakuss also keeps aware of others taking interest in them. "Sanjul is the head instructor for this location. We are a collection of schools focused on combining philosophy, physical prowess, and the untapped powers of the mind. I have a couple of hours to stay and chat but then I have business to attend to. It may keep me away for days or even weeks."

At the school Avakuss introduces Hesum to Sanjul, a male Raptoran tall for a human but still dwarfed by Avakuss' height, who in turn introduces the others that happen to be there at the time. "Hesum is from far away and has been suspended in time for who knows how long. He is new to Sigil and the planes. I ask you all to take him in, teach him, and learn from him."

Avakuss stays as long as he can. A tour is given (a short one- it is more a dojo with some living quarters), deeper introductions for the school are made, and some of Hesum's questions are answered. All know it will take time and patience is a virtue. Without giving details he explains he must be off and not sure how long until he is back. On the way out he gives Sanjul an expensive gem (1k jink) to help with the school. He then returns to the Black Sail.

Rejoining Eilyra he asks, "Any news? How can I be of help?"
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

5. - Top - End - #845

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra confirms that the meeting time is in six hours, before getting back to her scribing.

After he returns and offers assistance, she frowns. Ash has the books, Taric has the rod, Ash, Taric, and Center are all pursuing information about Bavia, that doesn't leave a lot of options. He could try asking around for information about the cultists, or talking with Joel, to see if there are more details? Or collect supplies for a week long trip, although I suspect that we all have such supplies already. A moment passes, before she replies. "We're low on useful things to do at present. Ash has the books from the library, so those can't be read. Taric has the rod, so we can't sell that, and I think we might want to do a bit more investigation about it before selling it as well. You might be able to catch up to Ash, Taric, or Center, and help them? Or, if you have a need for supplies, now would be a time to look for them. Otherwise, you might take a break, or ask around to see if you can find out anything about Thrazzy's cults."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Hesum observes with wonder - and sometimes discomfort - at the sights, sounds, and smells of Sigil. As he explains to Avakuss, other than some elves, he's never seen non-human humanoids before, although of course he's heard of them. Nevertheless, he seems to acclimatize, and greets the people Avakuss introduces him to in a friendly manner. He thanks Avakuss once again as the goliath takes his leave.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: To move on, I'll assume that Taric hands over his blades as requested. The blades are put into a locked safe for storage.

As far as you can tell, Leron is not being deceptive.

As he leads Ash and Taric on a tour of the mansion, he introduces them to a wide variety of people. many are deep in conversation. Some of them are reclining and appear asleep or semi-conscious. These people are (mostly) using not drugs but sensory recorders: small, round stones that are used to store specific occurrences or situations that a Sensate has experienced.

Leron leads you to a group in a corner of a large room and introduces you to the apparent leader of the group, indeed of the whole mansion: an Aasimar woman named Almsway.

After hearing your request, she says "Very well. If one of our members knows of the place you seek, I probably have heard enough stories to direct you to them, and if not I will find out if any do have such stories. What do you offer in exchange?"

Meanwhile, a Bariaur woman in the group sees Taric and approaches him. She is well proportioned according to the conventions of that race, with white fur. "Hello, I am Leeth. You look like you might have some amazing stories to tell!"
    Last edited by kinem; 2022-01-09 at 11:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash thanks Leron for her kind assistance, and gives the Cuprilach an opportunity to return to her duties. She nods approvingly as Taric makes his own connection here, and turns to address Almsway.

*We very much appreciate your hospitality. My name is Ash. I suppose I have a few experiences that might be considered, if not unique, then at least relatively rare.

*For example, my skin has been replaced by the silthilar by a type that is tougher and less sensitive to pain. Did you know that, during twenty-two of the twenty-six hours of that replacement process, I was fully conscious and aware. And for six hours, I was able to feel both the skin that was being flensed from me and the new skin as it was being attached. Effectively, being in two very painful places at once. Potentially thrilling for those who like such things, I suppose.

*Or I can add the experience of adjusting my thought processes to accommodate a chunk of brain retrieved from a four hundred year old vampire, a being that is mostly content to ride in the back of the wagon, but which sometimes likes to shout instructions to the driver. So to speak.

*Do you think that either of these interest you?*
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Almsway replies “I’m more interested in the second one. But it depends on what trades we arrange and with who. What do you seek in exchange?”

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Mentally and visually, Ash looks around the gathering, making sure that she feels secure in discussing this here. She didn't know of any way to listen in on a telepathic conversation, but that didn't mean that such a technique did not exist.

*Thank you. We're investigating two individuals, and are looking for information on them. We are seeking an arrangement in which confidentiality is both offered and required.*

She waits for a sense of understanding from Almsway before she continues, a hesitant smile on her face.

*We are interested in seeking information on the fallen archdevil Vayyel, especially as may relate to his current activities, and also in the rakshasa known as the Mad Rajah. Do you have any suggestions as to someone associated with the Sensates who would have stories to share?*

10. - Top - End - #850
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Almsway seems slightly taken aback. She replies telepathically

Sounds like a dangerous line of inquiry. In any case, I don't know of any Sensate who has seen Vayyel recently. As for the Mad Rajah, surely that is ancient history. Sorry to disappoint you, but maybe you have other interests?

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash smiles.

*Many. Including ancient history. Hmm. I don't suppose you've heard of a material world called Bavia?*

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Almsway smiles back. "As a matter of fact, I have heard of Bavia. One of our members has indeed been there and had many unusual encounters there."

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Nodding, Ash elaborated.

*Then I suppose I'd like to buy that member a drink.

*I'm new here. I don't really understand the idea of paying for information with experience. Couldn't I just talk with that person, maybe see if I have something of interest to them?*

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Almsway says "Indeed so. That something of interest you trade may be information, an experience that can be stored in a stone, or it may be a story, or many other things. I'll introduce you."

After searching around for a bit, she finds and introduces you to a gnome. The man is well dressed, with some unusual gear - or more accurately, gears. His hat sports several, as does his shirt.

"Good day. My name's Dottins. If Almsway thinks you're interesting, I'd like to hear more."

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric has been remaining in the background, as his skills have not been of much use in Sigil so far, other than in discerning the servant of Rule of Three who was watching for them on arrival. He goes to the Sensates Hall, though, when the party splits up. He is not actually a Sensate himself, but he is strongly inclined towards their philosophy, and he can do with the presence of nominally friendly faces within Sigil.

Upon arrival at the Hall, he offers to donate a memory of a sunset on Arborea, on a night when the sunset is marked by a very rare green flash of light at the moment when the sun totally sets. It is one of his fondest memories, as it was the greatest sense of peace he had encountered in his life.

On placing the memory into a memory stone, he looks around for signs of his companions, from whom he has briefly been separated. Finding them, he also notices a bariaur woman. A fine specimen of his race, he immediately notes, with glistening flanks and body, and an upper half even humanoids would find distracting. He wonders at her presence in the Hall, and goes to introduce himself.

"Greetings, fair one. I am named Taric, of Arborea. What would such a fine flower be doing in Sigil, Leeth, and if I may ask you, what memory did you choose to place here? I may look it up in the catalogue, to see the world from behind fresh eyes. As for my memories, I have many, though I chose to share only my favourite one here," he says.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2022-01-18 at 03:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Leeth smiles. "Taric, I am an explorer. You might say I have a bit of wanderlust. I came to Sigil to meet up with the other Sensates and to swap stories and experiences with interesting people like you.

What are you doing here, Taric?

Once, I was walking alone through a forest on a bright sunny day. Suddenly, a huge brown bear appeared in front of me out of nowhere! For some reason, I wasn't scared. Bears don't usually teleport, so I tried talking to her. She didn't say anything, but suddenly the ground was filled with flowers, making a wonderful scent, and she was gone. I don't know exactly what she was, but I think it was her way of saying 'You are welcome here, if you are a respectful guest.'

I stored that memory in a stone. Would you care to trade?"

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    "Good day. My name's Dottins. If Almsway thinks you're interesting, I'd like to hear more."
    Ash nods a greeting to Dottins, and looks around for a place where the pair of them might sit, so as to facilitate eye contact.

*Almsway, thank you for your kind assistance. I will look forward to sharing stories with you at a time when I am less preoccupied. You strike me as one who has experienced life fully.*

After Almsway takes her leave, Ash turns to Dottins and sends to him telepathically.

*I appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. My work requires a degree of discretion, so I would prefer to speak telepathically, if you don't object.*

She pauses to wait for his response before continuing as indicated.

*I am looking for information on a material plane world called Bavia. My understanding from Almsway is that you have travelled there. I would very much appreciate any insights you can provide, as I anticipate travelling there soon.

*My understanding is that the Sensates velue experiences and stories as a kind of currency. I am open to an exchange, or to finding a more mindane way of compensating you for your advice.*
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-01-31 at 01:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Dottins replies telepathically

Ah, Bavia. A very interesting land. As you might have guessed, I have a fascination with the mechanical. Having heard rumors of marvelous machines, I naturally had to see them myself. I spent some time there, and learned much, but some sad lessons as well.

What kind of information do you seek, and what do you offer in exchange?

19. - Top - End - #859
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric nods his agreement. "I would be intrigued to see your memory, and to fully experience it. I wonder if the bear you saw was a celestial. Some celestials have animal-like forms, and judging by its behaviour, it could be that you have encountered one. As for my memory, it is a sunset on Arborea, where you see a green flash at the very moment the sun disappears. It is very rare, and only lasts a moment, but it is beautiful," he says to Leeth.

"As for why we are here, that is a story that is not wholly mine to tell. We seek memories of a world named Bavia, but for reasons I cannot go into. Please do not take this as inherent mistrust, but merely an abundance of caution. What we do could prove dangerous, and we do not wish to endanger anyone besides ourselves," he adds.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Leeth nods. "I understand. The sunset does sound like an amazing memory.

The bear might have been an unusual celestial, or perhaps some kind of fey or druid, or possibly even an awakened bear. Or even a goddess. Though I have heard tales similar to mine, I never saw her again."

She leads Taric to a large room with a colorfully lit ceiling and with several large sofas upon which a variety of people are sitting. There are a few tables which are the right height for comfortable use by Bariaurs. She takes a stone out of her pocket.

"This room has a magic which allows people to share an experience. Shall we?" She reaches out her hand.

The experience is intense, and Taric gets a sense of Leeth's emotional state; she is excited by all the novelty here.

"So what do you think of all this?"

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash ponders for a moment before responding to Dottins.

*I'm looking for a powerful figure who specializes in animating wooden statues. He or she is in the city of Aelcliff, in Durburn province. I suppose I'm looking for information about the political and physical situation in this place, since I don't know Bavia at all. Of course, if you know of the individual I'm talking about, any information would be astonishingly helpful as well.*

Ash glances down for a moment, trying to figure out how to answer the extremely open-ended second question.

*It's hard for me to know what I'm offering without knowing what you're interested in. I have my own stories to share, gossip of this and other worlds. I am a diviner of some ability, so if you have a particular topic of interest, here or elsewhere, there's a good chance I could help. Or I have a little money. It might be easier for me to ask: what would interest in you in return?*

22. - Top - End - #862
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"The bear could have been any of those things, I suppose. I hadn't even thought of some of those possibilities," Taric says to Leeth. He takes her hand and prepares to experience the full wonder of her memory. "As for what I think of this place, it is wonderful. I could even see myself aligning with the Sensates if the experience is as amazing as I expect. But I generally prefer to remain unaligned, since ties can cause problems in the big 'verse. But I may be able to be convinced that it is worth the trouble to join them. Are you a member of the Sensates yourself?" he asks as an almost afterthought.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2022-01-25 at 06:02 AM.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Dottins replies

My main interest was in machines, an art in which Bavia has excelled, not animated statues. I can tell you a bit about the political situation and so on. Since it's not much, perhaps in return, you can tell me: Who is the best engineer in Sigil?

Bavia is a large kingdom and has long been considered at the forefront of culture and knowledge on the Prime world where it is. If you go there, you will notice the inventions. Horseless carriages which are powered not by magic, but by the burning of oil which comes from the ground. Flying machines which work similarly. Machines which can rapidly produce copies of books or news sheets. Huge factories which produce machines on a massive scale. If you want a map, you can easily buy a machine printed one there. Mind you, magic works fine there, too. The population is almost all human.

And also, metal tubes which can propel bits of lead at great speed. Those are used as weapons, like hand crossbows but much more dangerous. Perhaps fortunately, many of the alchemical reactions which power these devices don't work on most other planes.

The current ruler is King Rolf, and he is a warmonger, and is said to be a powerful sorcerer. He tried to conquer the neighboring kingdoms, which have long been Bavia's rivals. But his enemies have learned the secrets of the war machines and have banded together with other allies. Bavia is losing the war, and its cities are being shattered by explosives dropped from flying machines. Millions of its men have been slain in battle. It was no longer a good place to visit, so I left. That was about six months ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taric and Leeth enjoy the memories, using the stones in turn: First Leeth's encounter with the mysterious bear in the woods, and the green sunset Taric saw.

Leeth smiles. "That was amazing. Yes, I have joined the Sensates ... or at least a group of them. The Faction became divided, with groups on different planes, and it remains to be seen how all that will be worked out. But the basic traditions are the same. To become a Sensate, you must learn to appreciate all of the senses. Then you must take a test to show that you understand. For my own test, I was asked to place several wooden objects according to who owns them. There was no way to tell by looking at them, but I noticed the differences in smell ... smoky from the lower ward, perfume from a lady, and so on. I hope you are still interested."

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash listens carefully, forming images in her mind stirred by Dottins' images. Bavia was shaping up to be more 'blasted hellscape' and less 'pastoral woodscape.'

*That is immensely helpful. I'm very grateful. I'll do my best to reciprocate. Any particular kind of engineering?*

Show
    I'm assuming that Knowledge Local would be the best knowledge to know of the most esteemed engineeer in Sigil? She will use us a Moment of Prescience in trying to give Dottins a good answer:
    (1d20+43)[51]

25. - Top - End - #865
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric is intrigued by Leeth's words. "That sounds like the test may be difficult. I am not always the most observant of beings. In my past, in any case. But I am improving. Does the test take long? I only ask because my companions and I are on a time sensitive task, and I would not have much time to do such a test. But I am intrigued. Which planes are the factions based upon, and which faction are you a part of? And while you are answering, can you tell me the philosophical differences between the factions, so I will better understand which is more closely aligned to my own philosophies on life?" he asks.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Dottins says "Building mechanical devices."

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    You recall one time that you visited the Hands of Time Clockwork Shop in the Lower Ward. It's a shop that specializes in anything with moving parts, and itself is a constantly shifting mechanical sculpture. It’s run by a strange mix of modrons, aasimon, dwarves, and gnomes, and is almost a guild in itself. Managed by Saddam Hasan ibn Arvalas, originally from Toril. Very likely Dottins is already aware of the place, but he may not know of something Saddam confided to you: One of the shop's regular customers, a shapechanger of some sort known to him as Norma, knows more about mechanical devices than anyone else he had ever encountered.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Leeth tells Taric "Oh, the test wouldn't be given today. Tell Almsway that you are interested in joining, and she'll set it up. There are several potential members that will need testing, and it's usually personalized a bit.

I wouldn't call them factions, because the Sensates are all one Faction. From what I understand, Factol Da‘nanin, the overall leader, is a bit political and not too fond of the way the Lady has ruled. Our factor here, Almsway, tries to stay away from all that. Her focus is on shared experiences. I suppose that she will want us to support concerts, theaters and the like.

There are Sensates on just about every plane, now. Outside of Sigil, Arborea and the Outlands seem the most popular. I don't really know all of the groups and their ideas."

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods and ponders further before continuing her mental conversation with Dottins. She smiles.

*I suppose I should have guessed that. At a time of greater leisure, I would hope to have an opportunity to see some of your creations. I'm sure they're fascinating.

*Doubtless you are familiar with the Time Clockwork Shop, down in the Lower Ward? No, I'm not putting ibn Arvales forward for your consideration, gifted though he is. Rather, I'll refer you to another of his customers, a shapeshifter known to me only as Norma. I expect to be occupied for a week or so with the same task that may be taking me to Bavia, but if you leave me your address on your return, I'll seek you out. You can show me your workshop, and if you haven't made contact with this Norma, I may be able to help locate them for you.*

She waits to see if Dottins has any follow up questions, and to see if he does indeed provide directions for future use. Once their business is completed, she has little difficulty in picking Taric out in the crowd, and ambles over to stand next to him. She offers a slight smile to Leeth.

"Good day. My name is Ash. If I am intruding, I will wait by the entrance for you."

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Dottins tells Ash "Ah, thank you. I'll check that out, and I will certainly see you again." He writes down an address in the Market Ward.

Leeth replies "Good day, Ash. Taric, I hope you will come to see us again."

OOC: Time to get the band back together again?

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods to Leeth.

"My apologies, dear lady, but I'm afraid that I should pull this charming man away. We have pressing business elsewhere."

Unless Taric objects, Ash will lead him away from the Sensates and back out into the street. On the way back to their colleagues, she provides a telepathic precis of Dottins' information to him as they walked.

*Leeth seemed quite lovely. Was your interest in her personal or professional?*

Using her telepathic senses, it's not too difficult to track the swirl of minds around her, to monitor for patterns, and for minds that seem to be trailing behind them. In combination with her keen eyes (including the crystal one in her forehead), not much got past Ash.

Returning to Joel's hospitality, Ash nods a silent greeting to Eilyra and Avakuss. Opening the entrance to her home once again, Ash carefully stores the mirror again, and retrieves an armload of books from where they were stacked below, bringing them up to the table.

*The Sensates were most welcoming. Not really my style, but a charming lot. I'd prefer to wait until Centre comes for a more fulsome report.*

Flipping open one of the books, she begins to read.

Show
    Knowing that she and Taric make a relatively distinctive pair, Ash is careful to confirm that they're not being followed. Spot: (1d20+51)[67]

30. - Top - End - #870

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra looks up from her scroll as Ash enters, but quickly turns back to her study as Ash mentions that she wasn't going to report at this time.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss