New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

Joel says "We could do both. Let's go to the conference room."

Taking his dish and mug, he gets up and leads the way to the same room where you all met yesterday.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra smoothly stands, and follows, her tail flicking from side to side as she walks.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Not commenting further, Ash also follows into Joel's meeting room.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Once everyone settles in Rule says "What news, clues, views?"

5. - Top - End - #305

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra offers a quick smile, before replying. "It was an interesting expedition. Things proceeded well enough, before we encountered a pair of bloodhulks and a black beast of bedlam, guarding the locked door of the library. They died quickly enough, and we bypassed the lock, before heading inside. Further on, in the main room, we encountered a trio of wooden soldier golems, commanded by an avatarist, and a lich. They claimed to not serve Tharizdun, but attempts to negotiate access failed, as they demanded that we wait a week, so we moved to eliminate them. They had utilized several symbols of weakness, to prepare, and the avatarist cast a frostfell, and mass drown, as well as a quickened blood creepers. They had clearly worked together before, and were prepared to take advantage of their lack of life. If I were to guess, I'd say an established team, of significant power."
    She offers a quick, toothy grin. "Not powerful enough, of course. After eliminating them, I read about a fifth of the books as we loaded them into Ash's portable hole, and from that reading, there were a few pieces of interest. Firstly, there were three potential planar gates that appeared to be targets of Tharizdun cultists, possibly on the order of the Mad Rajah, before his inprisonment. They were located in the Outlands, one on a Prime, and one in the Astral, on the body of Quilo."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If Eilyra has more specific information on their location, she does mention that.

Leaning back in her chair, Eilyra continues after taking a breath. "Now, the lich seemed to be interested specifically in the use of portals, and portal keys, and was investigating one of the three locations in more detail, specifically, the gate in the Outlands, which had since slid into the Grey Waste, and been claimed by Yugoloths. The book mentioning that suggested that the cult wasn't sure if the gate was still viable, and suggested that working on the remaining two locations might be a better possibility."
    Looking around the room, and glancing over each of the individuals in the room, she continues. "Now, there wasn't any mention of Center-of-All's key, nor of a Gloom, or anything at all recent. However, we did learn the potential locations of gates, which may be of use, and we encountered the lich and avatarist, who may also be of interest, if we are able to talk with them. They might be mercenaries, or independent. They also seemed to be from a place called Bavia, on the Prime. Possibly related to the gate found on the Prime, but there is only speculation there."
    Finished explaining what she had learned, she looks at Rule. "Now, what have you been able to discover, in the meantime?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rule replies "Interesting. Of course, there were three gates, makes sense. You don't put your eggs in one basket.

The Grey Waste sees a lot of Blood War battles, but since the yugoloths aren't really the target, they do have strongholds that don't get attacked by either side. Yugoloths are a slippery bunch, even more than tanar'ri. Fortunately, I happen to know a Styx boatman who's motivated by greed. I'll try to contact him.

Well, my baatezu contact hasn't had any word about Vayyel lately. So he's not boasting about his score, at least. Nor has the Rajah had any visitors recently, I'm told.

I don't know of Bavia. The prime's not my forte. But if the lich came from there, it must not be completely isolated. We should be able to find a way there."

7. - Top - End - #307

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods, slowly in response to Rule's limited information. "It sounds like we're in something of a holding pattern, then, as we need information before we can act effectively. If we had a fork for Bavia, we could pay it a visit, but... we would stick out like a pine, and would have no local contacts."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods.

*Of course, a group like ours will stick out nearly anywhere that isn't Sigil.

*The Lich probably didn't come through Sigil with the bloodhulks, and didn't have a key back to Bavia. One of the possible explanations is that the same key that opens the Sigil may open other portals back in Pandemonium. I think that it's worth a look.*
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-07-13 at 04:34 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rule says "I'll ask around about any bloodhulks in the Lower Ward recently. The really big ones? I'd like to think I'd have gotten wind of it."

10. - Top - End - #310

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods, slowly, at Rule's words. "That sounds like a starting point. You might be able to find more information about the pair, as they're either mercenaries, or cultists. If they're mercenaries, we might get somewhere. And they may have disguised themselves as well, which would make things more challenging, I'd expect. Would you know of anyone who was watching that particular portal to pandemonium?" She also looks to Ash. "It may make more sense to seek out an expert on portals, as, well... scouting pandemonium for a portal seems like a rather challenging task. It did operate with the same type of key, presumably, which might make finding it a bit more possible. Might you have a divination spell to trace the movement of the key we took from the lich?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rule says "Since meeting Center a couple of days ago I've had that portal watched, but before that, I don't know of anyone who would have."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Firbolg in the Playground

News of the coming formal factions kept Avakuss quiet, deep in thought while also listening to the others. No fighting? Who decides which fifteen? They didn't get along before. Maybe the created chaos is desired?

"I'd have to imagine the books will have more information for us since there is so much more of them to go through. Checking Pandemonium is worth it too, though how far beyond the library we search is something for consideration. Can divinations tells us if other portals in that area even exist?"

"Coming through Sigil with three large wooden soldiers and 2 large bloodhulks would be hard to hide. If the lich and company didn't all come through Sigil, perhaps they used Gate or Plane Shift to get there directly?

"That still leaves Bavia, the other two locations, and Eilyra's spell preparations, while mindful of the lich's return, right? Might I suggest the library search today while Rule runs his leads, and tomorrow tentatively we spend the day with the books, Eilyra's studies, and working on a plan for Bavia?

"Rule, were you able to fence our items from yesterday? It will be useful to better prepare for what little we do of our new enemies."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

13. - Top - End - #313

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods at Avakuss's proposal. "That seems like a reasonable approach. It might be worth spending a couple of hours picking up tuning forks before going to pandemonium, as an emergency escape option for everyone, as while I can depart without a portal should unexpected significantly negative impediments arise, I can't take anyone with me absent a fork." She frowns thoughtfully, as something occurs to her, before she continues. "And based on that lack, and considering the minions the lich had, the key the lich had may work as a tuning fork for pandemonium, there is a portal near the library we're not currently aware of, or they had a good description, and teleported there from any portal to pandemonium."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #314

"Good idea for the forks. Plenty of hazards there even with Mind Blank."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    She also looks to Ash. "It may make more sense to seek out an expert on portals, as, well... scouting pandemonium for a portal seems like a rather challenging task. It did operate with the same type of key, presumably, which might make finding it a bit more possible. Might you have a divination spell to trace the movement of the key we took from the lich?"
    Ash nods, considering.

*Indeed. I'm not talking about searching all of Pandemonium, though - just following the tunnel that we turned off from, in order to see where it leads. I MAY be able to use the key to assist in that process. And yes, acquiring a more diverse set of planar keys is never a bad thing. While I don't think I have an easy way to track the key's past movements, I do have a way to track the location of a portal to Bavia.*

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    "Coming through Sigil with three large wooden soldiers and 2 large bloodhulks would be hard to hide.”

"Rule, were you able to fence our items from yesterday? It will be useful to better prepare for what little we do of our new enemies."
    Rule says “Wooden soldiers are actually easy to hide because they are shrinkable. Bloodhulks are a different story though.

So you want to talk about the items? The items that I was supposed to pick up here, today? I better not hear any complaints if I see a reason to change up a plan. But yes, I took care of it.”

17. - Top - End - #317

"I apologize for that. I did not think it would be an issue, that it would save time for you, and that it would enable us to purchase things right after this meeting since we will be traveling to at least one more plane very soon."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

GreenSorcererElf

Her part said, Eilyra leans back, and listens to the ongoing conversation, wondering if they would be able to order food, after all, as it seemed like the meeting was drawing to a close, depending on what Rule did with the money.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rule says “Don’t try to second guess me from now on. I have a lot going on that has nothing to do with you. Lucky for you, I do have an interest in the success of our partnership.”

He pulls out a sack.

OOC: Minus his share, he provides the appropriate amount in coin and gems. I don’t have the numbers at my fingertips right now.

20. - Top - End - #320

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra takes the lootsack, and splits it with alacrity, adding in the repayments from Taric and Ash.

Taric: Pays 7641.7 gold
    Ash: Pays 6041.7 gold
    Center, and Avakuss both receive 18958.3
    Eilyra takes 958.3 gold

She also pockets the free lootsack.

Afterwards, she looks around, to see if anyone else has anything to contribute, before she continues. "In that case, I think we have some plans. We will acquire some tuning forks, and investigate the possible location of a portal to Bavia. Additionally, we will finish reading the acquired books, in hopes of finding something of interest, and I'll be scribing some spells. Rule will continue to seek the location of Center's key, as well as seeking further information about the lich and avatarist pair. I'd expect all of that to take a couple of days, unless we get a lucky break, or something else happens. Any disagreements, or comments?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash carefully lays out small diamonds to contribute to the pot. She rises.

*That sounds like an excellent start. Let's see how things go in Pandemonium and figure it out from there. What we find may open up other options.*

22. - Top - End - #322

GreenSorcererElf

Not hearing any further comments, Eilyra nods. "In that case, let's get going. First, the Great Bazaar, then the portal."
    With that said, she stands up as well, intending to head out, unless someone else raised an objection.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Once business is taken care of, Joel brings food and drink into the conference room. After lunch, you head out.

The Merchant Ward is notably cleaner, brighter, and wealthier than the Lower Ward, or even the Hive, which you pass through on the way.

Dominating the ward itself is the Great Bazaar: A huge square filled with caravan tents and rickety merchant stalls. The air's rich with smells of flowers, meats, fruits, animals, and sewage. Walking through the crowded aisles, a cutter's assaulted by calls to examine, smell, feel, and - most of all - buy the wares of every merchant he passes. A large water fountain marks the center of the square. Previously the bazaar was the center of activity of the Free League, and many sellers are former members.

It's no secret that pickpockets and cutpurses roam the market. It takes money to shop in the bazaar, and where there's money, there's thieves. But those are the risks every cutter takes.

It's hard to say exactly where the Great Bazaar ends. The wheeling and dealing spills over into side streets as peddlers vie for spaces to show their wares. The folks in this neighborhood are always ready to make a deal or haggle over a price. Taverns hum with pitches of hucksters, and there are large inns capable of housing and stabling entire caravans. Open-air cafes serve anybody who comes along, and that's the best place for creature-watching; everybody, except the most reclusive rich, comes here sooner or later.

Among many other things you notice a tent where nonmagical masks of all sorts are sold, a stall doing a very brisk business selling banners and blank signs, and a Night Hag fortune teller.

Finally you see a large tent where a Mercane sells a variety of wares. The tall blue humanoid wears rich blue robes and is guarded by four burly human warriors.

24. - Top - End - #324

Avakuss puts his jink into a sack then puts the sack into his haversack. "OK. On to the Great Bazaar."

At the shops he exchanges his jink for easier to handle diamonds and purchases a pair of rare sapphire stones that are very conducive unlocking more of his own mental power.

Show
    2 Center Stones for 700gp. They take an hour to use each so not so useful right now.

EDIT: Kinem beat me to a post.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2021-07-20 at 09:12 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325

GreenSorcererElf

After enjoying a meaty lunch, Eilyra leads the way to Imao, to talk Tuning Forks. With her coin safely concealed, and her eyes alert, Eilyra's concern over thieves is less that they exist, and more that she might not get to take her temper out on one, but soon enough, she reaches the tent, with a Mercane, and she drifts over, to take a look at the wares on offer.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash trusts the others to take care of the tuning forks, and trails the others slightly. She is more interested in listening to the idle gossip in the crowded market, and to track anyone who might be paying more than the usual amount of attention to them.

Show
    Gather information, especially listening for any references to portals, or information relating to the re-emergence of the factions: (1d20+17)[31]

Also, she's using her mindsight and other senses to monitor anyone who might be following or watching them. Spot: (1d20+50)[54]

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

It's fair to say that the party is being watched ... as many people at the market take a look at the odd group. However, most give the obviously well-armed (or liable to be otherwise dangerous) adventurers a wide berth.

The return of the factions is a common topic of conversation; many are wondering the same things you likely are: The same factions as before? Should I join one, and which? Will there be more rules laid down, and by whom? Some talk about being in a faction before the War. And, some are already in the process of trying to organize a group to be part of one faction or another.

A robed human man with a shaved head, in appearance not too different from that which Center currently sports, approaches Ash and asks her "Do you want to be a Goddess?" He offers her a flyer.

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    The man pings as a humanoid of average intelligence.

The flyer states that there will be a gathering tonight for those interested in the Believers of the Source and states an address, which is in the Merchant Ward.

The Mercane's tent contains numerous paintings, jewelry and gemstones (some of them locked within a barred cage), sculptures, and articles of clothing of various unusual styles. Some of the items are magical, but nothing worth more than a few thousand jink is openly on display.

The human guards keep a close eye on everything. They carry themselves like experienced warriors, and bear several magical items themselves, such as armor and weapons. Three are men; one's a woman.

The Mercane says "Welcome! I can tell that you have rare taste. What catches your eyes?"

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash takes a flyer from the man with a slight bow.

"I'm not sure I'd be very good at goddessing. And why do you wanto to be a god, good sir? You seem happy enough as a man."

She chats briefly with the man, then moves on to follow the others into the Mercane's tent.

29. - Top - End - #329

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra looks over the art objects, and the handful of magical gear for another moment, before turning to the Mercane, who, presumably, was Imao. "We're potentially interested in acquiring some planar tuning forks, to a variety of places, and according to A'kin, you may have such items available. Would this be accurate?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The man tells Ash "Oh, I'm sure that gods and goddesses are happier. All that power, servants, and best of all - eternal health! Who wouldn't want that? Well, think about it, and good day to you." He goes to seek more recruits.

The 12' tall blue merchant peers down at Eilyra.

"As a matter of fact ... yes! I have the largest collection of tuning forks in all the planes, bar none! Steel, copper, gold, silver, and many rarer metals as well.

Of course, I'm rather proud of that, and I couldn't have assembled such a collection if I were willing to part with them cheaply. Naturally, the rarer the fork, the dearer the cost. What planes are you thinking of?"