New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

Eilyra looks slightly disappointed as the fog is dispelled quickly, but she quickly takes the lead, and heads into the room, flying over the carpet of frozen and electrocuted bugs. Three portals, interesting.. Taking a risk, she does a quick flyby past each of the portals, noting that they both activated, and did not allow line of sight, or the other side was kept inside magical darkness. For that swarm of insects... one, at least, of these portals must be a source of food for them. But without anyway to see what is on the other side, that would be rather risky to test. Although... if we have time, we do have options...
    She carefully drifts back from the portals, allowing them to close, as she looks at the cowed creatures, with a slightly evil grin, before looking back at the party. "Well, I'd say this is the place, and one of these portals, at least, feeds these insects. But seeing past might be challenging if Ash doesn't have a solution, although I do have a plan on that front. Scrying. We capture a few of the surviving insects, scry them, and toss them through the portal. The sensor follows, and we can see the immediate surroundings. It will take an hour to set up the ritual, but with a bit of luck, and some rope, we can probably scout all three of the portals. Alternatively, I could bind something to do the scouting for us tomorrow."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-08-10 at 10:43 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ash doesn't find any traps on the portals. She casts a spell and studies them.

Spoiler: Ash
    Show

All of the portals are activated by the same key as the other portal, and are two-way.

Portal#1: You see a rocky area with a sort of silvery void to one side, and another stone door; probably the Astral plane.

Portal#2: A grassy area with a blue sky; perhaps a Prime or the Outlands. There are some ruins nearby. You can see some of the colorful spider-like creatures there.

Portal#3: This one is completely blocked, as if the portal on the other side is completely filled with a solid object. It is currently non-functional.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

While the others study the portal, Avakuss collects one of the dead but intact insects. Perhaps someone in Sigil will know what they are. "Could throw the end of a rope through and see what happens."

Otherwise he keeps watch.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash, after a couple of minutes of concentration, opens her eyes again.

*Excellent and creative ideas, both.

*I was able to learn a few things. All three portals are keyed to the same key as the other portal. This has some broader implications that I'm still processing.*

She points to one of the doors.

*Beyond there is a rocky area with a silver void to one side. It looks like the astral plane to me, but I'm not an expert. I can see another stone door.*

The next door.

*A grassy area with a blue sky, with ruins in the distance. I can see some of the spider-creatures there. Probably a material plane.*

The third door.

*I can't get a clear vision of the other side, as if it were blocked by a solid object of some kind. I don't think that door will function as is.*
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #395

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns, thinking quickly. If this was their research center, and the coordination site, then each of these portals likely leads nearby one of the potential sites where they key can be utilized. The ruin is likely a base of some sort, the rocky area near Quilo, or there is another portal, and the final door likely leads to the grey wastes... and may be sealed. Not necessarily to Bavia, but certainly, potentially useful. "Interesting. Well, I suspect that these lead to the gate locations the cult was studying, so the astral plane, and likely near Quilo seems like a solid option. The second... the ruin may be the facility they were using to build their gate to reach their destination. The ruined nature does suggest that things didn't go well. Or it did, and that's where these insects" She gestures to the dead insects " came from. The last likely leads to the Grey Wastes, assuming the portal went with the gate when it slid out of the outlands. If it was contested, it may have been blocked by forces opposed to the cultists." She looks to the gates, then down at the key. "Now, considering that the key the lich had unlocked this door, well, the lich either acquired it from the ruins, or was a surviving researcher. Which raises a few options. Is the portal on the material on in or near Bavia? Or is there another portal he used to gain access, and acquired the key here? There may be more chambers to this complex, after all. This would be a lot simpler if it wasn't so windy."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric remains silent, not knowing a great deal about the Prime plane and its various worlds. He suspects that the second door likely leads to where their prey is located, but since they cannot sense their presence, going there may not be a worthwhile use of their time. He finally works up the courage to appear stupid to his companions, and says, "Would it not be most likely that they are on the Prime plane, and are exploring the others for means to free Tharizdun? I assume they will be using avatars again, and so their actual presence is most likely on their home world."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash lets the waves of speculation filter in, sorting the various hypotheses carefully.

*Those are all possibilities, but remember that we don't even know for sure that the lich and Woody are part of the cult of Tharizdun, let alone what role they might have played or what their goals might be.

*We DO know that the avatarist is on the material plane, or was quite recently. Which makes that as good a next stop as any, in my mind. I say we start with the ruins.*
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #398

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra sighs as she looks over at Ash and Taric. So it seems that there won't be an opportunity to scribe a spell before meeting the avatarist again. And here I was so hoping on not getting frozen again because I had the right counter. Her voice is sardonic as she approaches the center portal, the one leading to the ruins, with her key, to reactivate it. "If you're convinced that's the best course, who am I to suggest otherwise?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #399

"These are two way portals rights?" Avakuss grabs a fried spider and tosses it at the third portal that is supposedly blocked. If the response is as expected (hits a solid object then falls) he'll tap on the portal blockage to see what it is (wood? stone?).

He then points to the second one. "Agreed with starting with the ruins. Might work as a base for us to work from. If we all agree to go now I'll step through first. If there's a problem we come back through the portal to here."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The 'spider' body sails through the area where the portal would be and hits the wall of the cavern, then drops to the ground.

Center says "Taking a look there makes sense to me. I'll go with you. If we have to fight more of the creatures, it's up to the two of us. But if we get into trouble, the others might help pull us out.

Hold on."

He concentrates on a few of the surviving creatures.

"Interesting. They register as evil and chaotic."

11. - Top - End - #401

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns at Center's words. "I've got a few tricks for them as well, but a narrow tunnel that we needed to go through is not a good place for them. And I'm seriously wondering if these insects are from a certain deity. There was no mention of them in the books I read, and with the structure on the other side being ruined, I wonder if something went wrong with their research, and they brought these through." She pauses thoughtfully for a moment, then looks back to the portal, then to Center. "I suppose it doesn't matter, but if they are summoned, are you able to raise a circle against them?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center does a few quick experiments with the creatures.

“I’ve cast a magic circle against Chaos. It doesn’t keep them out.”

13. - Top - End - #403

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra flies over to observ his experimentation, and nods as he finishes. "It was worth the attempt." She flashes a quick smile at him. "Perhaps some of them are summoned, and others are descendants? Regardless" Her attention turns back to the portal, and her face grows grim, even as her hair dims, slightly. "Well, if we're going to do this, there's not really a better time."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

The gold-skinned woman nods.

*Agreed. And remember - we're making tons of assumptions. The material plane is a very large place. We aren't likely to run into Woody by accident.*

She gestures toward the second portal. Unless somone else objects, she leads the way through the portal and floats up into the air to get a better all-around view.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center goes through the portal as well. It stays open as his portal key is nearby.

The colorful spider-like creatures begin to fly towards the portal from the surrounding area.

The grass is green and the sky is blue, but there is something odd about the way things look. In a moment it dawns on you ... there is no sun in the sky here.

Center says "This place is in the Outlands."

OOC: After one round, the creatures will form a swarm. Before then, they are too diffuse to really attack, but you can prepare if you want.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

As nods grimly and sends telepathically to Centre, and to anyone else who steps through the portal.

*Then welcome home, Centre. I'll attempt to bring in an elemental to contain and batter the little spiders.*

She drifts upward, beginning a complex chant of summoning.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge (planes) to know if there are likely to be any difficulties with bringing an elemental from an elemental plane to the Outlands. [roll]1d20+18[roll]

She is 5' stepping straight up and casting Summon Monster VIII to bring in a greater air elemental, with the intention of having it vaccuum up all the spiders and bounce them around until they're all dead.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric passes through the portal, then takes up a guard position. He sees the swarm starting to immediately form, but there is little he can do about it. He takes note of Centre's words that they are on the Outlands, but it really makes little difference to him at this stage. It is surely of great significance, but at this present moment it is beyond his ability to comprehend the importance. He prepares to fight, though there is not much he can do when fighting a swarm, and he will rely upon the others to use their magic against the swarm.

18. - Top - End - #408

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra follows Ash, Center, and Taric through the portal as well, just in time to hear Center's proclamation as she looks around. "Well, I suppose that's what we get for making assumptions." While she speaks, she makes use of one of her pearls of power, and assesses how far away the insects were going to be once they gathered.
    As she surveys the area, she looks for signs of a gate platform, or something else screaming "The gate was here, but fell into the Grey Wastes."

(1d20+19)[22] Spot
    (1d20+15)[24] Know: Dungeoneering(Knowledge devotion roll)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Show
    Summoning an elemental should be possible in the Outlands. The only caveat is that close to the Spire, higher level spells don't work, and even low level spells if close enough to it. You don't see the Spire from here, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not close enough.

Eilyra looks over at the ruins. It could be the remains of a collapsed tower. It's about 300' away from the portal.

OOC: Any prep for Avakuss?

20. - Top - End - #410

Avakuss looks around. Does it seem like there would be one swarm like they just fought? Endless numbers of swarms? It would make a huge difference.

"The elemental will give us plenty of time to get to the ruins assuming there aren't countless spiders. What danger lurks in the ruins is the next question."

Ready an Energy Cone in case the elemental isn't enough.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Based on what you see right now, the colorful creatures are forming into one swarm mass about 10' across. Evidently, they instinctively gather like that when about to attack. However, they are not accustomed to facing powerful magic ...

Center readies himself to blast the swarm with cold.

OOC: Cone of cold (15d6)[51], (1d20+19)[26] vs SR 22

The air elemental Ash was summoning appears, and forms itself into a whirlwind, attempting to seize the swarm.

OOC: Swarm Reflex vs damage (1d20+9)[29] vs DC 25, vs trapping (1d20+9)[10]

OOC: PCs to act
    Last edited by kinem; 2021-08-16 at 04:06 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412

"Head to the ruins. I'll follow behind in case the swarm escapes. Unless we blast your summons too."

Show
    Following close behind the others. Will blast if the swarm escapes. If we're blasting the elemental too I'll do it while moving. Cone of Cold is hitting for +50% too right?

Full blast, fire this time. (19d6+19)[77] Reflex DC 29 for half
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash drifts further up, watching her elemental and waiting to see if the stream of spiders is finite or endless before proceeding toward the ruins. She scans the horizon in all directions for the Spire.

Having snagged the spiders in its whirlwind, the elemental carries them a bit away from the portal, so that there's a clear path between the gate and the ruins, for those who wish to take it.
    Show
    Ash double moves upward. Spot and Listen: (1d20+50)[61], (1d20+26)[40] Trying to spot more spiders, other signs of movement, and the Spire.

The elemental continues to whirl the beasties round and round.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

OOC: Forgot: Reflex (d20+9)[11] vs Cone of Cold DC 23

For the moment, the "spiders" are swept up in the elemental's whirlwind.

OOC: I take it that Avakuss is holding back for the moment, not blasting unless the swarm escapes the elemental.

Show
    There are more of the creatures in the area, but they are spread out. It seems like many of them were already clustered near the portal before the party got here, which is how the swarm formed so quickly.

You see no sign of the Spire or other landmarks. It could be that this place is far from the Spire, perhaps well outside the ring of gate-towns that marks the better known region within 1000 miles of the Spire. There is some mistiness in the air that for very far distances limits visibility.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The swarming creatures attempt to escape the whirlwind: (1d20+7)[27] vs DC 25

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Having escaped the elemental, the creatures are blasted by Avakuss' cone of lightning:

(1d20+19)[25] vs SR 22; Reflex half [roll]1d20=9[/roll] vs DC 29

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Reflex half (1d20+9)[10] vs DC 29

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Unable to dodge the blast, most of the creatures are fried. The remaining ones flee.

You get a sense that more swarms will gather from the surrounding lands, which are vast in extent, but for now combat is over.

29. - Top - End - #419

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the swarm dispersed for the moment, Eilyra looks to the tower, and then back at the Avakuss. ""Good Job." Her eyes flicker over Ash, Taric, and Center, before she turns back to the tower. "Let's move fast. They'll be back, and more of them. Leaving might be interesting."
    With that, she sets of at a rapid pace, towards the tower.(Moving 120 feet towards it)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash's wings are the speediest, but they get the job done, and she keeps pace with Eilyra as they move toward the ruins. She sends to her colleagues.

*It would seem that we're not particularly close to Centre's home, which I think means that magic will work more or less normally here. I hope.*

She mentally beckons the air elemental, which stops being a whirlwind and becomes a vaguely humanoid storm cloud, skimming the ground and moving ahead of the group toward the ruins.

Show
    Ash is using True Seeing, Arcane Sight and Mindsight to try to track any difficulties or motion in the landscape.

Ash is using the elemental as a pre-emptive blocker, keeping it about 50' ahead of us and ready to interpose itself between any of us and anything hostile.