New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

Taric prepares to attack the Cyst once again, to finally kill it, but the green creature manages to snare him with a tentacle, grappling him and holding him stationary. He struggles, but has difficulty in getting free.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The unnatural troll-like monster's tentacle grabs Taric and begins to crush the life out of him.

Meanwhile, Avakuss' numerous blows still can't penetrate the monster's tough hide, even after Eilyra blinded the creature with the glitterdust.

Rather than waste time trying to do what Avakuss couldn't, Center reaches out to touch Taric, using his spell-like abilities to cast heal (150 hp) and freedom of movement.

The latter is not normally available to aurumach rilmani, but thinking back on recent events, this is not the first time you have seen a powerful outsider manifest unusual powers.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric, under the effects of Center's spell, manages to slip free of the troll. He starts to immediately attack the Black Cyst with his dragonsplits, lashing out frantically in an attempt to kill the thing once and for all, and to prevent it from regenerating.

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

(1d20+29)[49] attack roll 1, Damage (1d8+15)[21], plus (2d6)[8] Holy damage, plus (2d4)[8] level drain.
    (1d20+22)[42] attack roll 2, Damage (1d8+15)[16], plus (2d6)[10] Holy damage, plus (2d4)[4] level drain.
    (1d20+17)[25] attack roll 3, Damage (1d8+15)[20], plus (2d6)[7] Holy damage, plus (2d4)[3] level drain.
    (1d20+12)[28] attack roll 4, Damage (1d8+15)[20], plus (2d6)[7] Holy damage, plus (2d4)[2] level drain.
    (1d20+27)[35] attack roll 1, Damage (1d8+15)[23], plus (2d6)[6] Holy damage, plus (2d4)[2] level drain.
    (1d20+22)[34] attack roll 2, Damage (1d8+15)[16], plus (2d6)[10] Holy damage, plus (2d4)[6] level drain.
    (1d20+17)[26] attack roll 3, Damage (1d8+15)[17], plus (2d6)[8] Holy damage, plus (2d4)[5] level drain.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Taric's attacks succeed in draining the life out of the Black Cyst.

The elemental creature, now free of Ash's spell that had controlled it, attacks Taric in revenge for his attack on the Cyst:
    Attack (1d20+30)[49], damage (2d6+11)[21] + (1d6)[3] cold
    Attack (1d20+30)[47], damage (2d6+11)[17] + (1d6)[5] cold
    Attack (1d20+30)[31], damage (2d6+11)[20] + (1d6)[3] cold

Now blind and enraged, with Taric having slipped out of its grasp, the troll-like monster roars in frustration and attacks again!

Attack (1d20+35)[44], damage (2d8+17)[22] vs Avakuss
    Attack (1d20+35)[42], damage (2d8+17)[24] vs Center
    Attack (1d20+35)[53], damage (2d8+17)[31]; grapple (1d20+40)[44] vs Ash
    Attack (1d20+35)[37], damage (2d8+17)[24] vs Eilyra
    Attack (1d20+35)[53], damage (2d8+17)[28] vs Taric

OOC: Cold damage (1d6)[2] Avakuss, (1d6)[3] Center, (1d6)[3] Ash

PCs to act.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Triskelion vs Taric 1st attack
    Crit Confirm (1d20+30)[32], extra damage (6d6+33)[55]

6. - Top - End - #666
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Easily bending under the flailings of the blinded troll, Eilyra quickly swaps out the torch for her sword as she considers her options. Psuedonatural troll. Extremely high armor, and spell resistance... with the malus of this place, high enough spell resistance that I'm not likely to get through, not without another assay, which is best saved for later. With the blind, and a bit of luck, I can hit it, especially with Avakuss present to distract it.

Putting her plan into action, Eilyra's sword flares with both fire and brilliant arcane light before she lashes out at the troll, every motion straining with effort as she lashes out five times, trying to take advantage of the blindness to land a hit or two.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Free: Swap to her sword.
    Free: Arcane Strike(Wish)

Full attack(-8 to attacks included(5 from malus, 3 from exhaustion), balanced by +2 from flanking, +5 from knowledge devotion, and +9 from arcane strike, +1 haste)
    (1d20+43)[48] Attack 1
    (1d10+12)[17] Damage + 5(Knowledge devotion) + (1d6)[3] Fire + (9d4)[26] Arcane Strike

(1d20+38)[47] Attack 2
    (1d10+12)[20] Damage + 5(Knowledge devotion) + (1d6)[1] Fire + (9d4)[22] Arcane Strike

(1d20+33)[52] Attack 3
    (1d10+12)[16] Damage + 5(Knowledge devotion) + (1d6)[2] Fire + (9d4)[27] Arcane Strike

(1d20+28)[44] Attack 4
    (1d10+12)[21] Damage + 5(Knowledge devotion) + (1d6)[3] Fire + (9d4)[21] Arcane Strike

(1d20+43)[62] Attack 5(Separate standard action)
    (1d10+12)[15] Damage + 5(Knowledge devotion) + (1d6)[1] Fire + (9d4)[21] Arcane Strike
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-10-28 at 07:54 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Having ample evidence that her spells were unlikely to pierce the extraordinary defenses of the deformed troll, Ash tries another tactic. She quickly conjures a tiny ball of flame into the palm of her gauntlet and hurls it at the troll.

If the fire seems to have no impact, she switches target to the rock-beast that had just slipped from her control. If the fire does seem to hurt the troll, though, she begins hurling flame after flame at the troll-beast.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swift action: casting Darkfire.

She then full-attacks by throwing the flame. She'll throw at the troll until she makes contact, testing to see if the flame actually hurts it. If it doesn't, she'll finish the full attack targeting the rock elemental. Again, using Sudden Insight to add to her SR check: (1d20+15)[32] plus (1d6)[3]

RTA Attack 1 (factoring in -4 for firing into melee and the environmental -5): (1d20+19)[24]
    Attack 1 damage: (5d6)[15] fire

RTA Attack 2 (factoring in -4 for firing into melee and the environmental -5): (1d20+14)[34]
    Attack 2 damage: (5d6)[20] fire

RTA Attack 3 (factoring in -4 for firing into melee and the environmental -5): (1d20+9)[17]
    Attack 3 damage: (5d6)[18] fire
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Eilyra's first three arcane-strike-empowered attacks don't slay the trollesque monster, but do knock it unconscious.

OOC: Redirect Eilyra's and Ash's remaining attacks to the elemental?

Taric and Avakuss to act.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avakuss is about to try something different with the troll but it falls to the others. The goliath instead lays into the rocky enemy, pulverizing the rock with seemingly endless impacts.

Show
    Swift: Rapidstrike Bracers: +2 to hit on Flurry of Blows
    Full: Full attack + Tentacles
    Power attack 2. Armbands of Might give extra +2 damage

Haste: (1d20+28)[43] (+15 BAB, +13 STR, +4 Magic, +1 Focus, +1 Haste, +2 Bracers, -2 PA, -1 Size, -5 temple)
    damage: (6d8+21)[46] Bludgeon + (1d6)[4] Electric + (4d6)[14] Fire. (+13 STR, +4 Weapon, +4 PA) Specials: Adamantine, Good

Fist1: (1d20+28)[31]
    damage: (6d8+21)[46] Bludgeon + (1d6)[1] Electric + (4d6)[17] Fire.

Fist2: (1d20+28)[40]
    damage: (6d8+21)[48] Bludgeon + (1d6)[4] Electric + (4d6)[16] Fire.

Fist3: (1d20+28)[31]
    damage: (6d8+21)[46] Bludgeon + (1d6)[2] Electric + (4d6)[14] Fire.

Fist4: (1d20+23)[31]
    damage: (6d8+21)[58] Bludgeon + (1d6)[4] Electric + (4d6)[16] Fire.

Fist5: (1d20+18)[28]
    damage: (6d8+21)[56] Bludgeon + (1d6)[6] Electric + (4d6)[7] Fire.

Tentacle1: (1d20+23)[42]
    damage: (2d8+6)[12] Bludgeon + (4d6)[9]

Tentacle2: (1d20+23)[35]
    damage: (2d8+6)[12] Bludgeon + (4d6)[13]

Tentacle3: (1d20+23)[41]
    damage: (2d8+6)[8] Bludgeon + (4d6)[15]

Tentacle4: (1d20+23)[28]
    damage: (2d8+6)[11] Bludgeon + (4d6)[14]

Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    OOC: Redirect Eilyra's and Ash's remaining attacks to the elemental?
    OOC: Ash will still try to burn the troll, assuming that this is the right time to deal with the creature, if she can.

Since it's unconscious, if it's possible for her to convert a full attack to a coup de grace attempt, touching the flame to the critter's face or something, I'm good with that. Otherwise, just maintaining the attacks on the troll, unless the fire from the first attack doesn't seem to affect it.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

With an impressive burst of magical and martial might, the group slays the remaining monsters.

OOC: Cold damage (1d6)[5] Avakuss, (1d6)[4] Center, (1d6)[1] Ash

OOC: Combat is over. Cold damage is not. PCs to act.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric was hurt reasonably badly by the last attacks, but he had managed to kill the cyst, so it wasn't all bad. He goes and examines the altar, preparing to fight anything else that may come through it. He readies his weapons, hoping that anything that comes through is susceptible to his weapons, and is not virtually immune to them, as the last two creatures who arrived were.

13. - Top - End - #673

GreenSorcererElf

In the aftermath of the incineration of the troll(By Ash), and the shattering of the animated Altar(By Avakuss), Eilyra frowns as she idly flicks the blood from her sword before swapping it for the torch, and looking over her companions. In the repressed light, the flush of her face and the sparkle in her eyes tells of her excitement, but her composure seems to be as solid as always in other ways. "That was certainly unexpected. A Black Cyst, a psuedonatural troll, and some sort of golem or earth elemental used as an altar? An interesting trio. On an unrelated side note, I am not a fan of being on the recieving end of waves of exhaustion. After we finish our investigation here, I would appreciate a chance to rest."
    With that said, her attention turns to the glowing circle on the ground. "It looks like it may be a portal, perhaps the one described in the books we found in the library, and it seems to connect to Thrazidun's realm. Probably."
    She approaches it, and walks around it, taking a good look as she does so, her frown deepening as she realizes that she knows absolutely nothing about this type of sigil.
    "Unfortunately, I've never seen a portal like this before, if that's what it is. I don't know how it works, nor how it might be altered, or even how it can be disabled, nor do I have any ideas on learning more. It's as if something has forbidden knowledge of this portal, or is using techniques so alien that no one else has considered them." She sighs, and shakes her head. "Which, I suppose, is only to be expected, considering where the portal leads." Straightening, she looks over the shattered altar. "At the least, the portal is disabled for a month by my dimensional lock. Now, let's see what can be seen with those robes. Perhaps the key is concealed?"
    Without further ado, she pulls off the Purple robes she was wearing, and puts on one of the Black robes, before taking another look around.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-11-01 at 07:30 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

With the combat complete, Ash quickly settles the purple robe back over her shoulders to shield her from the effects of this cavern.

*First, is anyone seriously hurt? I can help.

I should be able to gather more information about this portal, but it's not a short process to complete the spell. May I suggest that we finish our loop of the cavern, and then those of us without purple robes could make their way out for the time being.*

While they discuss the next course of action, Ash follows up on Eilyra's excellent hunch and goes to examine the portal/altar/profoundly-disturbing-thingy.

Show
    Move action to put the purple robe back on, standard action to examine the altar without touching. (1d20+32)[50], incorporating the -5 from the environment.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I could do with some healing power. I would usually heal quickly on my own, but that particular magic doesn't work out here," Taric says to Ash. He goes to examine the portal's location, though he has little idea of the magical arts, and what they are able to do. So he is unsure of whether this portal can be considered to be unusual in some way, as the others believe.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods, completing her examination of the glowing thing.

*Of course.*

She drifts over to the great bariaur, trying to get a sense of the extent of his injuries. On the way, she uses the wand still in her hand to lift the exhaustion from Eilyra, and then tucks the wand away for safekeeping.

Show
    Ash uses the wand of Restoration on Eilyra. I think that we're all now clear of the Waves of Exhaustion effect.

Heal check on Taric to see how bad it is. (1d20+14)[32]
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-11-02 at 04:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #677

"I don't need healing, thanks. Yes, let's finish the loop quickly. Keep an eye on the incense? We want to have some left afterwards. Maybe it can be duplicated. If we may want to undo the dimensional lock and go through the portal I suggest we do it soon while my powers are still active."

"My blasting of the altar broke something in it and probably awakened or summoned one or two of the enemy. I hoped we could be rid of this cold and darkness. My blade strikes as adamantine. I can finish destroying it after a search unless there is cause otherwise."

Show
    Listen for anything else around (1d20+10)[20]
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The slain elemental remains in its form, and does not change back into an altar.

With the Dimensional Lock spell in effect, nothing further comes through the glowing portal right now.

Eilyra takes off the Purple Robe of Tharizdun, and dons a black robe, while Ash puts her purple robe back on.

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    You see the Harbinger nearby, frowning in disapproval. "What a mess you've made! You can guess the potential here. My offer still stands."

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    Taric doesn't seem badly injured, but with warriors of great skill, it can be a bit hard to tell how much the injuries would hamper him.

Spoiler: Avakuss
    Show
    You don't hear anything else besides what the party is doing.

The torch sputters and goes out.

OOC: Cold damage (1d6)[1] Avakuss, (1d6)[5] Center, (1d6)[6] Eilyra

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric displays his injuries, which are serious but not deadly. He continues to watch the portal location, just in case. Then he becomes alarmed when the torch goes out. "Probably safest if we get out of here soonish. Wandering around without the torch could prove interesting, now that we are encountering creatures."

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods to Taric.

*Your injuries are serious, but the cold is making them worse. I should be able to take care of them once we're done looking around in here.*

The end of the torch's light leaves Ash all the more reliant on the presence of the glow from the portal and her mindsight to stay oriented. She sends to her colleagues.

*All right. I'm going to suggest that those of us who aren't protected from the cold make our way back out the tunnel. I'm going to try to learn some more about this portal, and then will come out as well.*

Drifting above and to the side of the glowing loop, she begins a slow chant.

Show
    Ash starts casting Analyze Portal, which has a casting time of 1 minute. If she picks up an unidentified presence on mindsight, she will monitor, and may choose to cut short her casting. After that, she'll focus long enough to get all available information. Caster level checks automatically pass, even with the -5 effect.

21. - Top - End - #681

"If someone will lend me a purple cloak I'll remain here and provide protection." The oversized goliath still sports the four tentacles, nightmarish look, and embodiment of fire.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric nods to Ash in gratitude. "I am okay for now. I have a purple robe, so have no issue with the cold itself. I will remain here and stand guard, in case I am needed," he says, as he continues to stand near the portal's location.

23. - Top - End - #683

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods to Ash in thanks as Ash removes the magically induced exhaustion, halfway listening to Avakuss's words as she looks over the area with the black robes on, and as the Harbinger tries rather feebly to persuade her, she gives it an exasperated look. "Would you care to explain?"

She then turns her attention from the apparition, and to her companions. "The torch's rapid failure does suggest that there isn't much more to find here, if those incense bulbs were their usual way of lighting their way around here. A few minutes does not allow for a large chamber. At the same time, the exterior seemed rather larger, but the cold does make searching for voids problematical."

As Avakuss requests one of the purple cloaks, Eilyra tosses him the one she wasn't using. "The vitality I stole will protect me for a time. And while Ash is investigating the circle, I can complete the circuit around this chamber, to confirm whether it truly is the end."

Putting action to her words, she shifts over towards the eastern wall, where the altar was, and puts the tip of her fingers on the wall before she starts to move out, keeping her fingers on the wall as she heads into the darkness, working to verify that the chamber is a mostly circular one as she completes the last quarter circle of the chamber to verify that there were no further passages hiding in the darkness.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-11-04 at 06:25 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

OOC: Those not using protection continue to take 1d6 cold damage / round.

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    Eilyra does not find any tunnels other than the known entrance to the dark chamber.

Spoiler: Ash after 1 minute
    Show

The glowing circle is indeed a portal. This portal is unusual in several ways.

There is currently no key, but it has the capacity to use a variety of keys.

The portal is one-way, allowing things to come in from the other side, but not to go there.

The cold and darkness here are side effects of the portal.

You get a glimpse of the area where the portal leads: You see a dimly lit area with several more Black Cysts floating nearby. The ground there seems to move strangely, as if it has a life of its own.

The portal is variable in terms of where it leads; it's also malfunctioning in some way.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

After staring intently at the portal for a long while, Ash looks up and peers into the darkness while sending to her colleagues.

*Well, that's fascinating. This is less a doorway than it is a kind of receptacle, able to receive creatures from multiple locations but not send away. It's definitely also linked to the cold and darkness.

*The location it's currently keyed to has more of the cysts, and the ground seems to be alive - possibly with a mass of the bugs we ran into earlier, but that's just a guess.

*Also, intriguingly, it's malfunctioning in some way.

*Thanks for staying with me. We should go.*

She begins to float toward the tunnel.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric considers what Ash said, then suggests, "Perhaps the mass you describe as being alive, rather than being bugs, could be the Dark Lord itself. That might explain why everything is strange about the portal, as you suggest." He starts to head towards the exit, keeping pace with Ash.

27. - Top - End - #687

Avakuss had donned the purple robe when offered then started searching the altar while waiting on Ash. "Good thing we didn't go through it if it had been a possibility." He heads back to the tunnel with the others.

Show
    Take 20 on search for a 22
    Even if I don't find something, any more details about it?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #688

GreenSorcererElf

Just as Ash, Taric and Avakuss were preparing to leave, Eilyra returns, having completed her circuit. "It doesn't look like there's anything more to this place. It seems rather like they used the portals in pandemonium to link their facilities, rather than having a more conventional arrangement. That said, we do have a mirror we may want to examine in more detail."

Seeing Avakuss investigate the Altar, Eilyra gives it a quick once-over, on the off chance that she might see something that Avakuss missed. (1d20+16)[34] Search

(11d6)[45] Damage taken
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

As Avakuss' and Eilyra's inspection confirms the altar is gone, replaced by the elemental, which is now dead. If there were any secrets to it beyond that, perhaps they are now lost, but in any case neither adventurer can see any right now.

30. - Top - End - #690

GreenSorcererElf

Not seeing anything of interest in the remains of the elemental, Eilyra heads towards the exit as well.

After leaving the room of darkness, she continues to the first antechamber, where the robes were kept hooked up, before looking to Ash for a moment, then Taric, Avakuss, and Center, before she looks back to Ash. "It's time we decide what to do with that mirror. A soul trapping mirror is quite the handy object, useful in a multitude of ways, capable of solving the abundance of problems caused by ensouled beings, but we do need to determine if it can hold multiple individuals, if they can be extracted, and if there is a way to protect ourselves from it." Her dry, clinical voice belies the horrific nature of such a device, almost like a torturer describing the potential uses of their tools.
    A few moments pass in silence, before she speaks again, almost as an afterthought. "There is also Antis to consider, although I am unsure of what use he might be."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss