New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

Ash

Ash is delighted to be out of the oppressive cold and dark of the cavern. She takes a moment to stow away the wand of restoration, and gathers the group together before casting a powerful spell of healing over all of them.

At Eilyra's mention of the mirror, Ash nods and sends to her colleagues.

*It might also be useful to try to learn more about the rod that Antis was so intent on taking to the portal. We now know it's not a key, and the portal couldn't have sent him somewhere. Perhaps it has a control function for creatures that come through? I don't suppose it reacted in any way while the portal was active?

*As for Antis...I'm in no hurry to retrieve him from the mirror. I'd rather do so once we're well away from this place, in a location where he's less able to do something random and unfortunate.

*But is there a reason to investigate the mirror here, rather than, say, later in the safety of your home?

*In the meantime...we seem to have exhausted our supply of functional portals. But the Astral plane seems like a fine place from which to leap to Bavia.*

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ash casts Mass Heal on the group to bring everyone to full HP.

She looked around at her colleagues.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #692
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

In the antechamber, Eilyra shakes her head at Ash's initial question. "No, but I also have the in a haversack, as it burned, so if it did respond I may not have noticed." At that, she pulls it out, and takes another look, to see if it had changed in some way. "Of course, we can find out fairly quickly by another visit to the chamber."

Discussing Antis, Eilyra shakes her head. "Depending on how the mirror functions, it is probable that removing it from the Astral with him inside will result in his death. That isn't a problem, but if we are going to kill him, that should be a decision we make."

Finished responding, Eilyra removes the robes, exposing her own green, gold, and silver dress once more as she thinks of one final point. "We should also keep in mind our invisible, intangible friend here. I'm not certain what it is, but it seems to be intelligent."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-11-07 at 06:45 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash tilts her head. The exact nature of the suspension of time and functioning inside a mirror was not clear to her, so she could think of no definitive response regarding antis.

With a well practiced motion, Ash quickly unfolded her apartment, and ducked down to the mirror. She paused, her hand hovering a few inches above the surface of the mirror, to see if it was as cold as it had been. Then, holding a crystal loupe in front of her left eye, Ash conducted a thorough examination of the mirror. Trying to determine if there was more than one soul contained within.

Show
    Is there any way to learn anything about the current contents of the mirror?

Spellcraft: (1d20+33)[50]
    UMD: (1d20+16)[29]

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #694

GreenSorcererElf

With Ash working on the mirror, Eilyra pulls out her own monocle, and prepares to examine the rod, hoping to see if her earlier analysis was correct, or if there was more to it.

Show

Using the Artificer's monocle to identify the rod. Both to confirm her earlier identification, and to see if she can identify a source of the cold effect she encountered in the portal chamber.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-11-07 at 08:46 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #695
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Antis... very curious. I would have assumed he was trying to team up with what we fought back there, but ended up in the mirror. Was he calling the cyst his friend? It did have fighting and spell ability. Or is his friend really in the mirror? What would he gain by going in or was he actually surprised by the mirror? How much of what he said was truth to hide lies? He seemed protected from the temple cold. Is he a spellcaster? Perhaps he was biding his time to attack and expected to be able to resist the mirror, planning on the mirror to weaken our numbers? How did he get in the cell? Treachery from within the cult?"

"With so few if any other ways to learn more, killing him may not be in our interest yet. If we can control the mirror, we could use the cell room to limit his options for escape keeping in mind it may be more than just him that comes out."

"What is the intangible 'friend's' response to our victory in there?"

"Did the black robes allow sight within the temple? Another search of these outer rooms is worthwhile since we are not pressed on time."

Avakuss removes the purple robes. "Center, insight you can offer?"
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

6. - Top - End - #696

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra listens as Avakuss discusses Antis's actions. "I think we made one assumption that we shouldn't have. That Antis was sane, and that Antis was the only personality present. It is entirely possible that what we knew as Antis was the original intelligence, but the potential for more seems strangely likely. However, he should be unarmed and unarmored as his things were left when he was pulled in. We should be able to contain him if he knows another way out of the prison. Our intangible friend was doing it's best to hamper us, but it seemed to be disinterested in further conversation, and while you are welcome to check the other rooms, I have done so with the robes on, and saw nothing different. So far, the only difference between wearing them, and not wearing them has been the ability to see the spirit."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #697
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I think we should remove Antis from the mirror, and then immediately take him and us back to Sigil, where he can be examined in less likely circumstances than what we have here. It is possible that just being in this place relates to his insanity, and that he may become more stable when we leave this place. And even the Dark One cannot come through to Sigil, as the Lady will continue to guard the portals into the place. So we can examine the mirror in peace there. And maybe our friend in the city will know more about such mirrors," Taric suggests.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

*If we wish to take Antis back to Sigil, it would be simpler and safer to leave him in the mirror for now. Frankly, his mind is so fragmented that our chances of getting more meaningful sense from him is slim. As Eilyra has pointed out, there's a good chance that releasing him off the Astral will kill him.*

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    The mirror is no longer particularly cold. You know that such mirrors generally have several 'compartments' that can each hold a living creature, and each has a different command word to converse with or free the creature. There would also be a command word to activate or deactivate the trapping effect. However, you can't tell more about this particular mirror. It should be possible to study it with an Artificer's Monocle, but at great risk.

Center-of-All says "If I had to guess, Antis' friend is also trapped in the mirror. So Antis probably knew about the mirror. Maybe he hoped that at least one of us would get trapped, and if so, we would break it to release the prisoner. The joke was on him, but it could have gone his way.

Infighting among cultists is something I could believe. They are said to be insane, so it's hard to guess what they would do. Cultist or not, Antis probably knew a lot more than he told us.

What I don't see any evidence of is any other recent visitors to this place. No liches, no wooden soldiers, no baatezu. We won't find what we are looking for here.

However ... if we can destroy that gate, we should. If it's what I think it is, the Key could be used with it. But I don't know how to destroy it and without causing ourselves grief in the process. We should do more research before attempting it."

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash drifts out of her mobile home without closing it up just yet.

*Centre makes good sense. There seems to be no immediate urgency with the portal, thanks to Eilyra's dimensional lock.

*In order to get more details about the mirror, I'd have to risk looking in the reflection, and I'd rather not do that until we're well away from the generalized malaise of this place. Of course, any of you are more than welcome to do so, but I wouldn't recommend it. Similarly, I have a pretty good idea how to retrieve a soul stored in there, but won't know who I'm getting until they emerge...so, again, we should do so only under the safest possible conditions.*

She turns to her colleagues.

*It has now been a day since we fought the lich, which means it's quite possible that he has now reformed and is either hunting us, plotting revenge or carrying on whatever plans he was already pursuing. I strongly recommend that we prioritize seeking him and the wooden avatarist out before we lose any hope to control the situation.*

11. - Top - End - #701

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra shakes her head at Center's suggestion of destroying the gate. "Without more information about how it was created, that isn't possible. As far as I can tell, it is not operating by any method of arcane or divine magic I am familiar with, which means that it was either custom made, or is something incredibly obscure. At a guess, the spirit that's revealed by the robes is a part of the process, and it doesn't seem to respond appropriately to magic either. It's possible shadow magic might clarify things. Additionally, in the books I read, there was no mention of any of the actual mechanics behind the portal. It is possible that there is mention in books I haven't read, but it will take time to assess."

Regarding the mirror, Eilyra frowns. "If it has a finite number of cells, we could fill it, at which point it would be possible to analyze it. Alternatively, mindless undead may be able to ensure that it is covered, allowing us to analyze the frame. Identification relies on touch, which might not trigger the soul trap effect."

Eilyra's frown continues as the discussion of the lich's potential activities. "Agreed, but absent information that our contact is working on assembling we're not likely to succeed there." More importantly, another three or four days of preparation would greatly improve my ability to reliably resist their transmutation spells.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #702

Avakuss nods. "Good point about Antis' plan with the mirror. Is there divine magic that might cure the insanity?"

"Could an Identify spell be a safer option than the Monocle for the mirror? We could get a scroll back in Sigil. We can also step back outside here to avoid the malaise."

"As for the lich, we have his portal key, that will limit where he can reach. Here should be safe at least."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

*Sadly, if the Lich has been here, then planar travel seems likely to allow him to return here if he wishes. Plus, of course, we have no idea how many keys he has.

*I can cast identify - I'd just need a pearl. But once we're out of this aura of negativity, it should be fairly safe for me to examine the mirror.*

Ash folds up her home and tucks it away for safekeeping.

*So...I'm sensing that none of you want to move to confront the avatarist next, preferring to wait until we have to face them together. In that case, what do you want to do next?*

14. - Top - End - #704

"I have no issue dealing with the avatarist. Better to finish up the leads here while we're still here."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods.

*I'm in agreement with that. What leads would you like to follow up on here?

*Regarding Antis' disposition. There may be healing magics for it, but if there is powerful divine magic involved - as with the Harbinger - then spells alone may not crack it. It's worth a try, though.*

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center says "I think it's time to go back the way we came. I think we can find a use for those colorful spiders, if you reflect on my meaning. Then ponder our next move."

17. - Top - End - #707

"If we need a pearl we can head back to Sigil? Seems we are done here for now. Had hoped to have more definitive information. If we learn to control the mirror we can come back here if needed." Avakuss turns to leave with the group, nodding in agreement with Center. "Reflecting may in this case may show some limits, which would be a good thing in this case as long as we aren't overwhelmed by those limits."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods cautiously. She wasn't looking forward to another run-in with the killer swarm.

*If you're proposing that we show the bugs the mirror, then I'd ask that we first think of a way to trap a dozen or so of the bugs, rather than simply revealing it to the whole lot of them. Otherwise, we could have a dozen creatures popping out of the mirror willy-nilly, with no good way to control the situation - or keep the freed prisoners safe from the bugs, for that matter.*

19. - Top - End - #709

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra looks over at Ash and Center. "I think that we should leave the area that we know is being monitored by an entity that may or may not be hostile before planning. To Pandemonium it is."

With that, she starts walking back towards the portal leading to pandemonium. However, once she gets outside, she stops, and looks back, mentally comparing the size of the floating object to the size of the temple to try to identify potential discrepancies.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #710

"Remember that the spiders weren't in a swarm when we got there. That would give us a little time to try a few. There might even be a straggler or two left on Pandemonium." Avakuss goes through the portal with the others.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

As Eilyra can easily see, the rock island in the Astral void is amply large enough to accommodate the caverns within.

Once you pass back through the portal and get back to Pandemonium - itself not the friendliest place - you feel a strange sense of relief. (OOC: The -5 penalty is gone.)

There are still some of the spider-like creatures flitting around the portal chamber.

22. - Top - End - #712

GreenSorcererElf

Show

I will admit, I was more asking if the rock island was large enough to have additional, secret rooms concealed that we simply didn't find. From the tone of the answer, I take it that it would be?

Emerging back into the howling cacophony that is Pandemonium once more, Eilyra gives the spiders a dismissive look before she puts on one of the black robes, to see if anything would be revealed by doing so.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #713
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    Yes, the rock is much bigger than the caverns you found.

You don't see anything new when you put on the black robe. Notably, you don't see the Harbinger here, either.

24. - Top - End - #714

GreenSorcererElf

Finishing surveying the area, Eilyra takes off the robe, and smooths out her dress before she stows it back into her haversack. "It seems as though the perfect chance to test the capacity of the soul mirror is here." Her voice is a bit louder than normal as she speaks over the howling winds, and gestures expansively at the fluttering insects. "Do we want to continue exploring the surroundings of this place, to see what other surprises might be found, or to return to Sigil, to see what information we might uncover regarding our wooden and bony friends?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric goes through the portal with the others. As they are discussing it, he joins in, saying, "I think we should return to Sigil and try to figure out the mirror first. The lich probably hasn't reformed yet, so we may have a little time. And I am sure the mirror won't take too long to figure out, once we have the spells cast. Then I suggest we hunt down the avatarist, in hopes they are still alone. Then the lich last, as it reforms. In fact, the lich posed little problem for the casters in the group, so it doesn't even seem like there is urgency in hunting it again, as that will likely be difficult. Though I wouldn't want it appearing in the middle of a deadly fight, I must admit."

26. - Top - End - #716

"Figure out the mirror then come back here and use the spiders if needed? I'm fine with that. With the lich we got the first strike in. We may not be that fortunate next time, especially if he throws the same spell at us that you threw at him. He'll be better prepared now that he knows we are a real threat."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash lays out the entrance to her home once more.

*I would like to work to intercept the avatarist, while there's still a chance that he or she hasn't met up with the lich, before we return to Sigil. Please step back unless you wish to look at the mirror.*

She waits for the others to move clear as desired, and then carries out the still-shrouded mirror and lays it on the ground. Tucking away the purple cloak, she mentally braces herself.

*There is a small chance that I will disappear into the mirror. Wish me luck.*

Checking on the placement of the glass loupe in her eye, Ash closes her eyes and positions herself under the cloak, so that it will fall back over the surface of the mirror if she vanishes. And then she opens her eyes and thoroughly examines the mirror.

Show
    Ash fails the will save on a 1 only. If she rolls a 1, she uses Fate of One to get an immediate reroll:
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[18]

She is trying to determine what she can about the operation of the mirror, and about the contents:
    Spellcraft, using Moment of Prescience: (1d20+53)[62]

28. - Top - End - #718

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra smiles at Taric's thoughts on the lich. "Agreed. The risk isn't so much the lich alone as much as what else he brings along. When facing enemies who can turn time into power, dealing with them before they get the time is the safer option. But... we do need to gather enough information to find them in a reasonable time period."

Eilyra gives Avakuss a nod as he chimes in as well. "It is a good plan, and it is possible that he will have been able to prepare the spell. If he does, the spell can only chew intermittently, and it can't move. If you are in it, get out. If you are not, and someone else is, move them out. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so devastating against him. It is effective, yes, but to really see the full potential, you need a way to keep your opponents within the area."

She shakes her head once more at Ash's suggestion of an immediate trip to Bavia. "Ash, at a minimum, we should see what information Rule has managed to gather about the duo. I can attempt..." Eilyra trails off as Ash focuses on the mirror, not wanting to distract her further.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-11-12 at 08:38 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #719
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    You are able to identify the Mirror.

Mirror of Life Trapping: This crystal device is usually about 4 feet square and framed in metal or wood. It can be hung or placed on a surface and then activated by giving a command word. The same command word deactivates the mirror. A mirror of life trapping has fifteen nonspatial extradimensional compartments within it. Any creature coming within 30 feet of the device and looking at its own reflection must make a DC 23 Will save or be trapped within the mirror in one of the cells. A creature not aware of the nature of the device always sees its own reflection. The probability of a creature seeing its reflection, and thus needing to make the saving throw, drops to 50% if the creature is aware that the mirror traps life and seeks to avoid looking at it (treat as a gaze attack).

When a creature is trapped, it is taken bodily into the mirror. Size is not a factor, but constructs and undead are not trapped, nor are inanimate objects and other nonliving matter. A victim’s equipment (including clothing and anything being carried) remains behind. If the mirror’s owner knows the right command word, he can call the reflection of any creature trapped within to its surface and engage his powerless prisoner in conversation. Another command word frees the trapped creature. Each pair of command words is specific to each prisoner.

If the mirror’s capacity is exceeded, one victim (determined randomly) is set free in order to accommodate the latest one. If the mirror is broken, all victims currently trapped in it are freed.

Strong abjuration; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, imprisonment; Price 200,000 gp;Weight 50 lb.

Since you are using the Monocle, you are able to determine the command words.

Currently there are 6 creatures trapped in the Mirror.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash speaks a word of power, muffled by the cloak covering her. She stands up, bundling the cloak as she does so. She turns to her colleagues.

*Yes, it's a mirror of life trapping. There are six creatures within. I can get them out or call them to the surface to speak with them, but I can't tell anything else about them while they're in there. I believe that I can now call Antis to the surface of the mirror and engage him in conversation.*

She hands the cloak back to Eilyra with a solemn nod.

Show
    Deactivating the mirror.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-11-16 at 10:16 PM.