New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

Eilyra takes another sip of her glass, enjoying the flavour, and the ambiance of the distrusting fiends.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric looks to the others. He doesn't have the ability to mindspeak, with the mind blank spell in place, so he speaks aloud. "Then we will return later. I wonder if there is anywhere in the city that can help us with our research, or if we should just relax and take stock of the situation, scribing scrolls and so forth? he asks the rest of the party. He is always ready to fight, given a few minutes to heal himself at any point. So he doesn't really need to do anything much to be ready to continue. But if Rule requires that the party return the next day, then they have time to kill. The question is, how best to spend it?
    Last edited by paradox26; 2021-11-30 at 12:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Firbolg in the Playground

Walking into the Styx Oarsman, Avakuss nods to Center to join him a table on their own. He sits so he can see if any trouble is coming and orders a drink for Center and himself. Avakuss is known to be wise but Center also had the knowledge and experience of many ages. Avakuss hoped to be able to spend many hours asking questions and more importantly listening to Center but this was Rule of Three's place where the visit would probably be quite short. For now, he sat and drank with Center, not giving away the hidden identity.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #754

GreenSorcererElf

After finishing her drink, Eilyra heads outside, and pauses to see if any of her companions would follow, not wanting to discuss future plans in such a public place in front of Rule.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-11-30 at 04:37 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Nodding her farewell to Rule, Ash rises and also departs. She stops not too far from Eilyra and sends to her colleagues.

*All right then. Is there anything else that we'd like to take care of in Sigil. I have a few spells that I can try, to learn more about what's going on, but they're not likely to work in Sigil. Any objections to doing whatever it is we'd like to do here, then get back to the gate and plane shift through to Bavia?*
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric follows the others out of the building. At the telepathic communication, he replies, careful not to give anything away by his spoken words. "I have no need of doing anything in particular in Sigil, so I am ready to go back to that place whenever you are ready. If the others need to stay here longer, then I can accompany you and stand guard while you work," he says.

7. - Top - End - #757

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns. "I do have some thoughts about what we could do here, but it would be wiser to move somewhere a bit more private than a city street before discussing them. Perhaps the Black Sail, and renting a meeting room?" Not leaving things to chance, she starts walking, heading towards the Black Sail.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #758

Avakuss discreetly nods as the others leave. He peacefully finishes his drink then heads out, not too far behind the others.

"What did he say about a portal to our next destination? That would be more useful than finding ourselves in a bad situation or quite far from where we want. We could try seeking that answer elsewhere. The Black Sail is fine for now."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The streets of Sigil seem more crowded than usual, but you make it to the Black Sail without incident.

The Black Sail too is quite crowded, and filled with talk about Factions. When you ask Joel about the conference room, he tells you "I saved it in case you wanted it. I had to pass up several good offers." The room is thus available.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash smiles with genuine gratitude at Joel's assistance, and palms him a stack of 10 gold coins.

*That was very thoughtful of you, Joel. Thank you.*

Once in the room, Ash settles, her back to a wall, and waits for Eilyra's further thoughts.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #761

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra sweeps into the offered conference room, allowing Ash to convey their thanks, before she settles in at the head of the table, and waits for everyone else to take a seat, placing her hands on the table before she starts to speak, her voice it's usual cool tone.
    "We have quite a few options we can pursue in Sigil before we proceed to Bavia, which might or might not prove to be quite helpful there. We know that Rule is planning to get back to us within a day, which suggests that not leaving to Bavia until tomorrow might save us a lot of trouble, but before then... we do have a few things to take care of. There is the rod, of course. Either someone should take it." She gives Taric a look at this, but her burning eyes soon shift towards Ash as she continues. "Or we should sell it. More importantly, there is the mirror, and the collection of prisoners therein. Interrogating them could prove to be quite useful, but we won't want to let them out outside of the Astral plane, if at all, without knowing how time passes within the Mirror." Without missing a beat, she looks to Avakuss. "And Avakuss has an excellent point: Finding a portal to Bavia is likely to save us a lot of spells. It is more likely that our friends" Eilyra's tone shifts to be rather sarcastic as she speaks that last word, but soon returns to normal as she continues. "Used a common portal than an unknown portal, so using a common portal may put us closer to somewhere of interest in Bavia. And save us quite the series of planeshifting and teleporting to get places. We can also consult other sages. If we can find any imagery, or descriptions of what Bavia looks like, I can teleport us there without risking tipping the lich off via a detected scrying attempt." She leans back, before she continues speaking. "We can also attempt to continue reading the books. We got through a significant portion, but it will likely take another pair of days before we finish reading them. Thus far, their value has been limited, but there has been some value to reading them. Finally, I would appreciate a chance to finish scribing some spells before we fight the lich and the avatarist to be better prepared, but that would likely require two days of not doing much else to achieve."

She pauses for a moment once more, before she continues once more. "Now, that is rather a lot, and we clearly can't do it all at once, but my thoughts are that we investigate the mirror before we spend a bit of time attempting more mundane research on Bavia. At a minimum, we can simply hire a Tout to guide us to and through a portal, which will save me a few spells. Depending on what we find there, we can then split up, and some of you can handle the rod, while I continue reading the books, to see if there is anything useful, before I resume scribing. Then, the next morning, we can see about getting Rule's information, which, I hope, will narrow things down a bit more than "Bavia", and can act on that. Those of us who prepare spells can also aim to prepare a bit more specifically for the lich and his friend."

As she finishes, and falls silent, she waits to see how her companions would respond.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center says "I might have an idea on where to start looking for a gate to Bavia. Why don't I try that, while the rest of you deal with the mirror folk and whatnot."

13. - Top - End - #763

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods at Center's comment. "That could be extremely helpful. Would you be willing to mention where, so we could find you if we found that we needed to?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #764
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center says “We know of only one other person in Sigil who has even heard of Bavia. So I will find out where he comes from and start from there.”

15. - Top - End - #765

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods. "Then, I think we have a plan. Center, you go and see if you can persuade our friend to part with information regarding the gate, while we have a chat with our inadvertent captives. Depending on how much time that takes, we can consider other options before your return."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric catches the glance during the meeting. "I can hold onto the rod, though I have no desire to actually own it. As for what I will do while spells are being scribed, I can provide physical security while the inhabitants of the mirror are released in turn. They may be immune to magic, so my weapons may come in useful," he says.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods, thinking, and unfolds her home in a corner of the room.

*Fortunately, now that we have the command words, it shouldn't be necessary to go to the Astral to meet and converse with the occupants of the mirror. We can draw each occupant to the surface for conversation right here. This seems to me to be a safer and more reliable way to gather information from them than risking their release, sight unseen.

*Centre, if we are splitting up, perhaps we could set a time to meet back here? Would six hours give you the time that you need?*

She descends and returns quickly with the mirror, positioning it so that it faces away from the group, but that others have room to gather on the reflective side as needed. She speaks the word of command that draws the first of the imprisoned souls to the surface.

18. - Top - End - #768

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods. "Antis, we know, would need to be returned in the Astral, or he will age to death in seconds. The others? Well, there really is only one way to find out."

As Ash speaks the command word to draw an occupant up, Eilyra quickly chants the words to comprehend languages, in an effort to reduce potential language problems.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center says "Six hours is probably enough, but I may end up doing some planar travel, and that can be unpredictable. I wouldn't want to have to retrace my steps through intermediate planes to meet back here and then go right back to wherever before I find the Bavia gate, because that could draw a lot of attention. I intend to meander a bit to mask my intentions. Good luck with your tasks." He leaves.

Setting up the mirror, Ash calls up the occupant of the first compartment within it.

The visage of a human man appears in the mirror. He appears tan and somewhat muscular, with dark hair and brown skin.

The man says "Hello? Who's there?" His speech is somewhat hard to understand, not because he isn't speaking clearly but because his Common language seems a bit different from what you are used to.

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    His language seems a bit like how people spoke in the old days.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash responds to Eilyra's concern about a dissolving Antis.

*I don't believe that bringing a soul to the surface of the mirror brings them out into the timeline. Antis should be safe.*

Ash smiles and greets the man with a nod. Her voice is sharp and authoritative.

*I don't believe that you are in any position to be asking questions. Suffice to say that we have control of the mirror, meaning that we have the power to free you if you are completely satisfactory in your answers.

*Let's start with some easy ones. Who are you, where are you from, and what god do you serve?*

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Moment of Prescience to add to her diplomacy check: (1d20+37)[40]

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The man in the mirror replies "My name is Hesum Khani. I am a monk, and was a defender of my people. I am from Kotun. I worship Horus, god of honorable warriors."

Spoiler: Knowledge (religion) DC 15
    Show
    Horus's alignment is Lawful Neutral.

22. - Top - End - #772

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods to Center, before turning her attention to the mirror, listening as Ash asks her first question. Interesting. A more reasonable approach to Common. How long has this individual, this Hesum Khani, been held? Or, perhaps, more relevantly... who was he defending his people from? Who were his people? He does seem aware that he has failed.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d20+14)[25] History
    (1d20+18)[32] Nobility and Royalty
    Does Eilyra recognize his name? Or have any idea where he is from?

"How did you come to be within this mirror?" Eilyra's voice reflects her typical cool demeanor, but she makes no attempts to be any more diplomatic than that.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-12-06 at 10:24 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    You have never heard about him or his town.

The man replies “Some kind of evil cultists attacked the town. They used the mirror to take prisoners. I have been here ever since.”

24. - Top - End - #774

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns as she considers his response. "Do you know why? Did they ask anyone questions, were they looking for someone or something in particular? Where was your town?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

He replies “I don’t know. They killed a few people, then captured me when I put up a fight. I was one of the best warriors in town but I was no match for them. The town is in Khemet.”

OOC: None of you have heard of the place

26. - Top - End - #776

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns as she doesn't recognize the location. "Khemet... I'm afraid I'm not familiar with it. Would you be able to either go more general with the where, or try naming landmarks, such as mountains, rivers, lakes, or significant empires?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

He replies “Khemet is a significant empire, and the only one I know of. If you have not heard of it, you must be from a distant land indeed.”

28. - Top - End - #778

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra shrugs. "Perhaps. Or much time has passed." She then looks to Ash. "I don't think that there is much else we can ask here, as he doesn't seem to know anything of use. Time to bring out the next one." She pauses, and looks to the prisoner. "Unless there is anything else you can tell us? We don't really have the resources to free you at this time, but we only recently recovered the mirror from a cult's abandoned sanctuary."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #779

"Hesum Khani, my name is Avakuss. I too am a monk. You'll need to have a bit more patience as we discover what is going on, but you won't be forgotten. It would aid us if you would tell us what it is like in there. When you are not called forth like this, are you aware of anything? Are you able to see out the mirror? The passage of time? Others in there with you?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Hesum replies "I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer. In truth, it's hard to tell how much time has passed. It could be a day, or a thousand years, or more. I would describe it like being in a dream. I can see out of the mirror now, but it's not like I'm just in a room. I can't reach down and pinch my ass, let's put it that way. I am not aware of anyone else in the mirror."