New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

Eilyra shrugs, and makes sure that the tuning fork for Pandemonium is easily retrievable.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric watches the others examining an empty room, then approaches the small rectangles on the wall. Experimenting, he tries flipping one of the levers, wondering if it will summon someone who can answer questions for them. It would be better if they could be questioned in this room rather than them having to ask questions on the move. He still thinks that it is better to explore this area first, before they flee. Which would have wasted all of the time they had spent getting here from Sigil.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

When Taric flips the small white lever, the room is flooded with light as the glass balls on two of the four chandeliers begin to glow brightly and steadily.

Ash opens the door. Beyond is a room, lit in a similar manner, and which does have windows.

There are a couple of desks; at each is a somewhat elderly human; one is male, the other female. They do not appear armed.

The man rises to his feet and demands "What? Who are you?" His accent is strange, but comprehensible.

4. - Top - End - #934

GreenSorcererElf

Hearing the voices, Eilyra turns, and starts to approach the now open door.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

As part of the minority of the group not armed to the teeth, Ash steps forward to speak to the people. She opens her hands and holds them to the sides, hopefully reassuring them that she is not holding a weapon.

"Hello. I apologize for alarming you. We are visitors from another world. We mean you no harm, but we have a few questions, and then we will leave peacefully.

"About two days ago, there was a person in that meeting room. Someone with an affinity for wooden statues. What can you tell me about that person? Their name, where they went when they left here...please tell us anything that you can."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ash will burn a Moment of Prescience on a diplomacy check:
    (1d20+37)[40]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #936
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The man replies "I don't know anything about that. A lot of people were in there to hear a patriotic speech. How did you get in there? Please just leave."

7. - Top - End - #937
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not wanting to disrupt the situation as a goliath, Avakuss stays in the first room out of site of its inhabitants but listening.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

8. - Top - End - #938

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra steps around the corner of the large meeting room just in time to hear the man's response to Ash's question. Her golden eyes seem almost eerie in the harsh artificial lighting. "Oh? I do so love patriots. Why don't you tell us about them?" She meets his gaze. "After all, it is so often that those who claim to be patriotic are found... wanting. You wouldn't want to be found wanting as well, would you?
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2022-02-23 at 10:02 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The man's expression, which had been confused, becomes angry.

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that. You are from another world, so mind your own business.

Like I said, I don't know whoever you are looking for. I'm not holding out on you. I'm no coward, but I'm an old man, and you lot could no doubt kill me if you wanted to.

If that's what you think you must do, then get it over with. Otherwise, get the hell out of here."
    Last edited by kinem; 2022-02-26 at 07:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash grimaces.

"We have no desire to kill you, but you are not answering our questions."

She circles around the desks to cover another exit from this room. If there's more than two exits, she mentally requests that her colleagues prevent the other two from leaving - yet. As she moves, she scans further ahead for other minds.

"Why don't you start by telling us about this building, your names and your work here?"

She begins a slow chant.

Show
    Further diplomacy as needed: (1d20+17)[27]

Once she's blocking the door, Ash casts Brain Spider (Will DC 31 negates) to dive into the brains of these two. To start with, she'll implant suggestions in the man, and then the woman: "You want to stay with us and fully cooperate with our questions until we tell you to stop."

After that, she explores both of their memories relating to the meeting/speech two days ago, then switch to a detailed study of the memories of each of the pair.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #941
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

There are two exits from the room: An outer door, and a hall that probably goes past the other door from the room you arrived in.

When Ash casts her spell, neither of the frightened local humans is able to resist it.

The man replies "This is the public Meeting Hall in Aelcliff. It's a government building and used both for public events and private parties.

I am Roge Klern, the director. I schedule events and distribute funds as needed."

The woman says "I am Hellen Arwik, his secretary. I handle records and correspondence."

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    Both remember the meeting in question. It was a speech given by Sergeant Davin Copey, a decorated war veteran, intended to shore up morale on the home front. He told stories about his experiences and praised the bravery of Bavian soldiers.

The meeting was attended by about 100 people of all ages. Many were locals but there were also some faces these people didn't recognize.

The war itself is rumored even here to be going very badly for Bavia, but accurate information on that is hard to get here. What these people know is that many local boys have gone away and not returned. However, they believe that the war was necessary to protect the nation from aggressive neighbors, and fear what its loss might mean.

Roge Klern served as a soldier many years ago, in another war, which Bavia won against the rival Nearlam.

Aelcliff is a small city next to a large mountain chain. The Ael cliff itself is a sheer, high cliff and a well known landmark.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash quickly relates what she has learned to her colleagues.

*The meeting was a rally for the war effort, attended by a hundred or more people, including several that these two did not recognize. The war is not going well for Bavia. Aelcliff is a small city in the foothills of a mountain chain, next to, yes, a cliff. My assumption is that the avatarist can't be the speaker, since it would presumably have been impossible to maintain their speech while controlling all of those statues, but they could have been sitting in the audience, since they suffered no ill effects directly from the fight.

*These two are now primed to answer our questions - feel free to ask away.*

She focuses her attention back to their two 'hosts'.

"Was there a guest list for the speech? And are you expecting any visitors in this room in the next few minutes?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-02-26 at 11:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric had been waiting in the next room while the couple was questioned, but when it became clear that they were now ensorcelled, he enters the room with them. He then stands by the door, ready to attack if anyone enters the room while the couple is questioned. He keeps his weapons hidden, though, in their gauntlets, though he can draw them in a moment.

14. - Top - End - #944

GreenSorcererElf

A moment away from spellcasting, Eilyra pauses when Ash casts her spell, and the pair start revealing useful information.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #945
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The man replies "There was no guest list, as the speech was open to the public.

I don't expect any more visitors in the next few minutes. Of course, I didn't expect you either."

16. - Top - End - #946

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra shakes her head at the man's continued uselessness. "Did you recognize any of the individuals who attended? If so, what are their names, and what do they look like?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash clenched her teeth, fighting down the frustration that inevitably builds with any kind of methodical investigation. She waits for Eilyra's questions to be answered, and then follows up with one more.

"Where is the nearest closet?"

Musing, she begins to discuss next steps with her colleagues.

*It seems unlikely that these two are going to be able to help us further. If the avatarist was able to blend in so seamlessly with this talk, then it at least seems likely that he or she is a native of Bavia. I'm leery of attempting to divine him or her directly, but can do so if that is our collective wish. Alternately, I could try to locate the statue-creature that the avatarist used to channel their magic.

*Either way, it's going to take me ten minutes or so to use this magic. I would prefer not to mindlessly kill these people if we can avoid it. There are no other people nearby at the moment. I would suggest that, while I use this magic, you lock or barricade them in a closet.

*What do you think?*

Show
    If we achieve any kind of consensus around this, Ash will step out of the doorway and cast Discern Location, either on the Avatarist or the wooden statue creature he/she used as his/her proxy.

18. - Top - End - #948

Avakuss

"Just bring them in here while you cast. We can make sure they don't leave. Finding the statue-creature seems useful."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

19. - Top - End - #949

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra sighs, as Ash and Avakuss both seem to plan on showing mercy to the pair. Her voice is rather dry as she speaks. "If set free, they may cause issues for us, with the local guard, and they may alert our targets. I would suggest that we find an alternative to doing so, at least until our targets are handled."

Disintegrating them would be the simplest, although I suppose we could try faking an attack of some sort. If I'm not able to persuade them to go along with such a plan, then turning them into statues, and leaving them somewhere would be straightforward enough. Leaving them alive, and free to talk is an extremely risky path to take.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash sighs.

*Fine. Kill them if you feel you must.*

She begins a long, slow chant.

Show
    Ash is casting Discern Location for the wooden statue creature that vanished from the Library.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Roge Klern replies "I recognized at least fifty of the attendees, as they are locals. Do you really want me to try to list their names and appearances? I am pretty sure that none of them are your quarry.

There is a closet, down the hall there."

Center says "We can put them in the other room for now." He does so unless there's an objection.

Out of earshot of the local two, he says "There's no need to kill them, nor would it serve for them to go missing. If we wish to stay low profile, leaving a trail of dead or missing persons is not a way to do that.

Instead we could magically modify their memories. I have some flexible magic that could help with that, but only enough for one.

In any case, simple intimidation would probably be enough. They don't seem connected with our enemies, and have no reason to stick their necks out to try to stop us."

Show
    The Discern Location spell does not succeed, indicating that the statue in question is either shielded or no longer exists.

22. - Top - End - #952

Avakuss steps forward, showing himself to the clerks. He joins Center guiding them into the original room for safe keeping.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

After a few minutes, Ash snaps out of her mystic trance with a grimace.

*No luck, I'm afraid. Suggesting that the statue has either been destroyed or shielded against divinations. I'm going to try again, fior the avatarist.

*It might be a worthwhile precaution to lock the building, or at least look around a bit. The two should still be under my influence for a few more iminutes. Perhaps someone could find out more about this town - a safe inn, strange local happenings. Might as well make use of their local knowledge while we've got it.*

She lapses into a second iteration of the slow drone of divination.

Show
    Casting Discern Location on the Avatarist, as she had a couple of days ago.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric is pleased that the prospect of killing the pair has been negated by Center's ability to use his magic on at least one of them. If only one could be ensorcelled, then hopefully at least it would cause confusion among the natives if the pair later come to have different stories as to what has happened. He doesn't say anything mentally about the suggested course of action, as he has the mind blank in place that will prevent him from doing so. Instead, he verbally says, so as to keep their activities hidden from the pair of locals, ""I think the second option is the best one." He keeps his remarks short, so as to minimise the need to eliminate the pair of locals, and to reduce what can be gained from them if they do get questioned later.

25. - Top - End - #955

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns once more, as Center and Taric discuss less than effective ways to eliminate the danger that the pair poses. "If you can wipe both of their memories of these events, that would likely work, Center, but only wiping one? The risk that they report what happened is fairly high. Visitors from another world appearing, and mind controlling citizens tends to be the sort of thing that gets out, and a bit of reading between the lines will be sufficient for the Avatarist and Lich to identify us. That will make it considerably simpler for them to gain more local support, if they aren't already locally supported."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center says "Maybe we could take one with us and bring them back later."

Show
    The spell to find the Avatarist also fails this time.

27. - Top - End - #957

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra gives him a look. "We can take both with us, if you really want to. Leaving one seems like a mistake, as unless you can edit the mind of the one that stays in a way to diffuse any suspicion of what happened to the other?" She pauses for a moment, then shakes her head. "Since I don't think we're going to be encountering those we are seeking tonight, why don't I just petrify the pair of them? You can put them into Ash's hole, and then they can be unpetrified at a later date. Alternatively, we could attempt to use them as bait, and let the Avatarist and Lich know we are looking for, and try to set up a meeting. Of course, a great deal of care would be required for said meeting."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2022-03-03 at 06:38 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash completes her spell, pauses, then grimaces.

*The avatarist is either dead or beginning to cover his or her tracks completely. His statue is gone or masked from my magics.

*We can question them further about whether there's anyone they know of who hangs around with wooden statues, and follow that lead. But please remember: nothing that we currently know about these two people links them to the avatarist in any way.*

She strides into the meeting room, following up with the pair of locals before her controlling magic fades.

"Do you know of anyone who has a special affinity for wooden statues? Perhaps wooden statues that move of their own accord? Are there any recent stories of the walking dead appearing in or around town? And, aside from the war, have there been any unusual events or supernatural occurrences in this area?"

29. - Top - End - #959
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Roge shakes his head.

Hellen replies "I've heard of animated statues, golems and such, but not in town here.

Stories? There are motion pictures about vampires and zombies. That's a form of entertainment, which you might not have heard of.

The only real undead in town that I know of is old MacGroot. He's the ghost in a genuine haunted house. It's a bit of a tourist attraction. But he must have been there for at least a hundred years."

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods to the pair.

"Thank you."

She turns to her colleagues with a grim shrug.

*Thank you for your patience as we followed this area of exploration. I'm open to ideas, but I feel that we have hit a dead end.

*We know that the avatarist was in this room, but don't even know for sure that they were here during that talk. And while negative information - the absence of clues - can be useful, I don't think we've learned anything new in Bavia.

*Short of heading into town and beginning to poll people for leads - and I acknowledge the dangers that this would expose us to - I'm out of ideas. Perhaps it's time to to explore other leads - the prison, tracking down the key thief. This has not panned out.*
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-03-05 at 05:45 AM.