New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

Eilyra shrugs at Avakuss's words. "I would rather get something to eat, before calling it for the day. We can meet back at the Black Sail, in about an hour or so if we intent to rest in the same area, or at dawn, if there are other plans?"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

2. - Top - End - #992
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I'll see you all at the Black Sail then." Avakuss will go with anyone else headed there, otherwise will travel alone. He renews some of his powers then sleeps/meditates until dawn.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The party thus decides to split up for the evening.

Black Sail:

Avakuss makes it to the Black Sail without any problems. The place is still packed, and Joel is making the rounds. Seeing Avakuss, Joel asks him to stop in the private room, and once there, asks about the day's discoveries.

Sword and Buckler Alehouse:

Eilyra and Taric head to the bustling pub. As expected, it's filled with the yeggs and dregs of society, as well as many would-be adventurers and bodyguards seeking work, and the smell of roasted meats. Along one wall are numerous 'help wanted' posters.

The Armory:

Ash and Center head to the Armory, which is a bit of a walk. It's on the border between the Lower Ward and the Lady's ward, yet still in a grimy part of the city. Before the Faction War it was known to be the headquarters of the Doomguard, who believe in the sanctity and inevitability of entropy.

All the windows are covered with stone grates, and razorvine covers the lower walls. There's a single entrance, over which is rough cut stone where the faction's symbol used to be.

Knocking at the door, you are greeted by a bladeling who slides a small window in the door open. "What's your business here?"

4. - Top - End - #994

GreenSorcererElf

Reaching the Sword and Buckler Alehouse, Eilyra, still in her pristine dress, walks inside, and takes a look over the place, with the human Taric behind her as she looks for a table from where she might order food, as well as some sort of registry of known mercenaries, and the listing of help wanted signs, to see if any of them seemed to be both interesting and relevant. She also frowns slightly as she takes in the smell, and the quality of those who seem to be seeking positions here. Perhaps this was not the best of her ideas.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2022-03-23 at 05:22 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Eilyra is able to find an empty table, and a waiter soon arrives to take your order. "I recommend the roast beef" he says. Looking around, it seems to be a common choice.

Some of the signs along the wall are from bodyguards and mercenaries seeking employment.

One Help Wanted note is from a merchant who claims to do business throughout the "known 'verse". It says that interested bodyguards should apply at Ajox's in the Market Ward, on Copperman Way.

At the tables, one of the customers is a muscular blond human man wearing shiny plate mail armor, though with the helmet off to eat. He's talking to a dark-haired human man, who wears studded leather. The pair are discussing the Help Wanted signs.

6. - Top - End - #996

GreenSorcererElf

Seating herself at her chosen table, Eilyra nods at the waiter's suggestion. "That seems to be an acceptable choice." She waits while Taric puts in his order as well, before her wandering gaze sweeps the room once more. It doesn't seem that this is the place I was expecting it to be. Too much cheap muscle, not enough useful skill. That pair might be more useful, and they might know a little more, but how to approach them? They seem to be a bit better equipped than most, but a good mercenary is reticent. Perhaps a bribe for information? Of course, they might also be simple mercenaries, but with a noble patron of some sort, but such wouldn't be looking for a position. Perhaps a chat, after food, and I'll see what I can overhear.

(1d20+19)[34] Listen(Listening to conversations, specifically for anything related to Avatarists, Thrazidun, or cults.)
    (1d20+19)[35] Spot(Individuals with high quality equipment, or hidden things of interest.)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash looks up at the bladeling. She gestures to where the symbol of the Doomguard had been removed from the lintel.

"Hello! We're trying to get in touch with local representatives of the Doomguard. Would you have any idea of where to reach them?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy on the bladeling: (1d20+18)[29]
    Knowledge Local to recall what she knows about the new Doomguard in the city: (1d20+23)[30]

[roll
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-03-24 at 10:07 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Alehouse: The roast beef is actually good, as is the ale.

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    You don’t hear any talk about those particular subjects.

You notice a human man walk past some tieflings while engaging in a bit of pickpocketing.

Armory:

The bladeling replies “I have ideas, yes. Who are you?”

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Well, that was unfriendly.

"My name is Ash. What are your ideas about where to find them? I would very much appreciate any suggestions you could offer."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric orders the roast beef, though it does seem a little like cannibalism to him, being a bariaur and all. He then goes and studies the help wanted signs, trying to get some idea as to whether others may be leading towards the same goals as themselves. He then makes his way around the taproom, listening in to the discussions. He still finds it strange being on two legs, though he does find it more convenient, as he is only half the size he used to be. Once he has listened in to the discussion, paying particular attention to the large blonde mercenary, who seems more intriguing than the others, he heads back to his seat.

11. - Top - End - #1001

GreenSorcererElf

Surprised at her enjoyment of the roast beef as she eats it, Eilyra soon finds her plate empty, and she surveys the room once more, before looking to Taric. "It looks like this trip may have been a bit of a bust, but perhaps there is a way to recover. How would you feel about talking with those two." Eilyra gestures in the direction of the better equipped pair. "And see if they know anything of interest? I'll see if the barkeep has anything of interest they're willing to share."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The bladeling tells Ash “That’s a good name. Did you choose it yourself, or were you given it?

But that’s not what I was asking. I don’t just want to know what to call you. I want to know who you are. What do you believe, what have you done, what do people say about you? Only then will I know who to introduce you to.”

At the tavern, the talk is mostly about which factions are seeking what, which are good to work for, and who to avoid.

The ‘better equipped pair’, by contrast, are talking about how they are not interested in bodyguard duty. They seek glory, gold, and adventure!

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash glances over at Centre, arching an eyebrow. She turns back to the inquisitive bladeling with a grim smile. She thinks about what she can say. honestly. Frankly, she's been so focused on other things in recent years, that explaining her beliefs has been secondary.

"You don't ask the easy questions, do you? Well. I believe that the gods usually get in the way of mortals' destiny. I believe that tomorrow is usually worse than yesterday. I believe that the truth is more useful than a lie, even when it's more expensive."

She shrugged.

"So. Would you like to talk about your beliefs? Or do you tell me how to find the Doomguard?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-03-29 at 01:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1004

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns at the comments of the better equipped pair. Makes sense. But it also implies something else, of interest..
    After she finishes eating, she stands, and approaches the bar, and in a moment of availability, speaks to him. "Might you have any decent wine? And information on where more... skilled mercenaries might find higher paying work?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Armory:

Center, not willing either to lie or to reveal his identity, remains silent.

The bladeling replies "Hmm. You have some wisdom. I believe that the seeds of death are sewn from birth, and should be allowed to blossom in their own way.

Very well. Come on in."

He opens the door. Inside is a large foyer. A few humans are practicing swordplay there.

"My name is Syke. I am a local representative of the Doomguard. What can I do for you?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tavern:

The bartender replies to Eilyra "We do have some good wines. I like the Red Drake. What's your taste?

As for the other, the factions have hired many people recently. You see the ads on the wall. What exactly are you looking for? You don't strike me as a typical mercenary."

16. - Top - End - #1006

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns momentarily at the bartender's wine recommendation. "Red Drake isn't a poor wine, but I prefer wines that are a touch more subtle. Do you have any Violet Sunrise?"

At the second question, however, she takes a seat. "Perhaps I should be a bit more open. I'm looking to hire one, or, preferably two mercenaries for a difficult job. Said job requires some fairly specific characteristics, but none of those here." She indicates the full room. "Are even close to having the right skills and abilities to complete the job. Thus, I was hoping you might know where I might be able to locate more... experienced mercenaries, with skills more akin to mine, rather than the muscle available here."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The bartender replies "We do have a bottle of the Sunrise. Twenty gold. Most customers don't appreciate it.

So you are not looking for sellswords, but for adventurers. The difference?

Sellswords sell their skills to make money. If they get paid without having to fight, they call it a good day.

Adventurers only make money as an excuse to use their skills. If they had any sense at all, they would have retired long before becoming as experienced as you seek, but then they wouldn't be adventurers. They are an unruly lot.

Now that pair over there, you know which ones I mean, are adventurers. But perhaps not as experienced as you want.

Well I know a guy, who is incredibly skilled in fighting, and might meet your needs. If he takes your job, he won't come cheap. If you wish I will tell him how to reach you, but if he takes the job, I want five hundred jink as a finder's fee. He is not a man to bother with minor matters. Is it a deal?"

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash, with Centre at the Armoury

With a smile and a nod, Ash moves to the door and offers a hand in greeting to the bladeling.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Syke."

She pauses at the entrance, switching to a mental three-way conversation.

"If you don't object, I'll speak in this manner. It is less wearying for me, and more private.

"I will speak as plainly as I can, Syke. The two of us are working to track down an ancient and powerful device associated with the worshippers of Tharizdun.

"Our investigations took us to a fascinating realm floating in the Astral, a place that seemed to have been of great interest to the followers of Tharizdun.

"I am here to seeking to speak with anyone with the Doomguard who might have knowledge of the followers of Tharizdun, or this place. I can pay for their trouble with coin, or with services in exchange. We are not without our talents."

Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+17)[18]

19. - Top - End - #1009

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra reaches into her pouch, and removes three platinum, placing them on the bar, before she smiles. "Good wine is meant to be enjoyed, savored, not guzzled." Then, a darker look crosses her face, and she shakes her head. "Skilled in fighting isn't necessarily what we need. More on the side of magic, and able to endure what would be otherwise extremely lethal conditions in an area where external magic doesn't work reliably. I had heard that there was a pair who could deliver, but finding a way to contact them, or even verifying that they still exist has proven challenging. If you have heard of them?" As she finishes her explanation, she watches his face, seeking any signs of recognition.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2022-04-04 at 07:46 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Syke mentally replies

Ah, the sleeping god. Is he destiny incarnate, or merely an artificial and unworthy substitute? Among the Doomguard a source of disagreement, but not typically a pressing one as little can be done about it anyway.

I say, let sleeping gods lie. I would rather not involve the Doomguard in such a matter. Whatever your angle on it, you might find allies among us, but also enemies. Thus dividing our Faction at a crucial time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bartender smiles at the coins, then frowns as his windfall prospects evaporate. He rummages under the bar and brings forth the Sunrise.

"I don't know of this pair you speak of. Perhaps you should look into recruiting planar creatures, of whatever alignment might fit your goals, devils or angels or the like, if you want both magic and endurance without it."

OOC: He seems to be speaking honestly.

21. - Top - End - #1011

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra accepts the Sunrise, and carefully pours herself a flute, before resealing the bottle, and tucking it away in her pouch. "Perhaps. Regardless, I appreciate your information."

As she drinks the wine, slowly, she observes the hall, watching for anything else unusual, before departing for the Black Sail.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods.

*The Doomguard are lucky to have as thoughtful a doorwarden as yourself. If, as you say, the sleeping one is a divisive figure among your ranks, it would indeed be divisive to have to come down on one side or another.

*However, my interest is not in the endbringer himself, and not particularly in his worshippers. I believe that someone else entirely, not aligned with his followers, is trying to steal some sliver of his power for themselves. This is something that, presumably, neither those who support the sleeping one nor those who oppose him would like. We are trying to find and stop this entity...hence our investigation.

*So it is my contention that our actions should be a cause for alarm for neither of your factions. But you have already proven yourself a worthy philosopher. What do you think?*

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Seeing nothing else unusual at the tavern, Eilyra and Taric can make it back to the Black Sail without incident.

Meanwhile, Syke tells Ash

To steal a bit of power? Hmm ... Perhaps. There is an individual who I wish to consult on the matter. Come back tomorrow evening, and I will have an answer for you.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods.

*I appreciate the consideration. We will be in touch.*

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Syke nods, and opens the door.

OOC: Time to move on to tomorrow?

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Unless Centre has any other leads that they would like to pursue before coming to a place of rest, Ash is happy to head back to a place of rest at Joel's.

Show
    I'll need to rejig Ash's next spells prepped list. If we haven't already done so, Ash will use a Miracle to merge Eilyra's cloaks. Otherwise, happy to jump forward to after a rest period.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Firbolg in the Playground

In the back room of the Black Sail, Avakuss meets with Joel and updates him with what they learned and that the others would eventually meet back here soon enough, all while eating a light meal to feed some jink to the staff.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel listens carefully to Avakuss' account. "Truly a strange world. Be careful, it may have more surprises in store."

Ash and Center return to the Black Sail as well.

While Eilyra continues reading the books, Ash merges the cloaks, and then it's time to get some sleep. Tomorrow will be another busy day ...

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    Among the books, most of which detail various philosophies or describe various planes or tell dubious histories, there are really only two more that stand out as relevant.

One is called "Cutter". It tells a story of a great warrior named Hart, but also describes what Center called the Key, which Hart once wielded. It says that the Key can cut nearly anything, and that it was used to seal away Tharizdun. It looks like there had been a section that described the method in detail, but it has been torn out. Such information might help someone determined to reverse the process. Yet perhaps it was placed as misinformation, as most of the book appears to be fictional, placing Hart at the center of major events on various worlds, and describing his love life. At the end, Hart grows old and writes his autobiography, supposedly this book.

The other book is a rambling collection of research notes by a wizard named Delone, detailing attempts to draw power from the Gate on the Outlands. It claims that the final attempt succeeded, and that Delone became a demigod. Included is enough information to try some of the experiments if the Gate can be accessed.

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    5% chance of Dream Visions (1d100)[97]

29. - Top - End - #1019

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns as she finishes reading through the limit of the books she could read quickly, after dispelling Taric's human disguise, and creating her mansion. In the aftermath of her findings, she retires to her chamber to rest.

Early in the morning, she finishes her meditations, and rises from her cushioned seat before she smoothly puts her cleaned and laundered clothing and equipment back on. After she was adequately dressed, she heads to the expansive training area of her mansion, to ensure that she remained as prepared for combat as she could. In the dim light of the training room, her lithe form and her sword seem to dance through the obstacle course, striking dummies, and avoiding various traps.

Afterwards, she enjoys a brief bath to clean the sweat, a delicious breakfast(Prepared, of course, by her servants), and gets dressed again in her freshly laundered clothing once more. Then, she settles down to prepare her spells for the day, before casting a few defensive spells.

Spoiler: OOC renewing castings.
    Show

Recasting Extended Heart of Air, Water, Earth, and Fire.

With her expired arcane defenses renewed, she departs her mansion, to await the rest of her allies, spending the time to continue scribing her spell.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Returning to the black sail, Ash summarizes their interaction with Syke at the Armoury, then sets up her home in the floor of the conference area, refreshes her long-lasting protections for the next day, and heads gratefully to bed.

--

An hour or so of meditation and preparation, and Ash is once again ready for the multi-planar and multi-layered challenges awaiting them.