New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

In the morning, Joel and Center (in his human form) share a light breakfast of some kind of green waffles; although the latter as an Outsider does not need to eat, he seems to enjoy it. Center also does not need to sleep, and he lets slip that he may have done a bit of teleporting around the city during the night, an at-will ability that he missed during his years near the Spire. Afterward, the two head to the conference room, assuming that the rest of the group will join them.

After exchanging the usual pleasantries, Center once again offers to re-cast mind blank on up to two people, having cast one on himself already.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Meeting Joel and Center in the conference room, Eilyra nods, acknowledging their presence, before returning her attention to her scroll as she waits for Ash, Avakuss, and Taric to arrive as well.

After they arrive, she puts her scroll away, before she starts to speak. "Today, we have quite a few things we can be doing. It would be helpful if we were able to find more information on the Avatarist and the Lich, on Bavia, the items we retrieved from the Pandemonioum portal, the Cult of Thrazidun, the Gloom, Vayyel, or the Mad Rajah. We could also follow up with Rule of Three, to determine what information he has gathered, the warrior freed from the Mirror, to ensure that he hasn't done anything we would care about." She pauses for a moment, to let that sink in, before she continues speaking calmly. "I also read through more of the books retrieved from the Pandemonioum library, and found two things of interest. Firstly, a mage by the name of Delone seemed to have done a great deal of research regarding drawing power from the portals, with some signs that he succeeded. Reviewing his work, it does seem possible, but the side effects would be significant. Said ritual may be why the portal fell into the Grey Wastes. That said, I have never heard of Delone, nor have I heard of any powerful beings that match the information I pieced together, which strongly suggests that doing such a power draw is a bad idea even if it works. Secondly, there was mention of a hero, wielding the Key, who wandered around doing adventures, but... the book was a fairly obvious fabrication. Possibly a means to try to encourage neutral parties to seek the Key. However, if we hear tales of a man by the name of Hart using a sword like the Key are likely to be associated with the Cult in some fashion."

She pauses again, before she leans back in her chair. "Now, that is a lot, but most of it isn't actionable, or isn't very time consuming. It may be worthwhile to seek a meeting with the Mercanes around more information on Bavia, but for the rest of the information? We have already exhausted our own abilities in that regard, so leaning on Rule of Three would seem to be our best option." A brief frown flickers over her face at the thought of relying on Rule of Three, but she continues on. "With our plan to go to Bavia tomorrow, I feel that after a couple of brief stops with the Mercane, and with Avakuss's followers, and after sending a message to Rule of Three, we would be best off seeking an unrelated way to make a great deal of gold in a short time frame. This probably means bounty hunting, or something similar, where the target's location is known, but is also powerful enough that no one has actually succeeded. The resources can then be put into acquiring equipment to offset the Avatarist's spells, casting information gathering spells on the various cult materials we found, and potentially other uses as well."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center says "Perhaps, but that sounds risky to me. Maybe I should not be one to talk though, as I am not used to using much equipment. I rely on my inborn abilities. Except that for a magic-dead zone I need a weapon, but that should be cheap as it won't be magical. Perhaps I should deck myself out with fancy magic trinkets like a human adventurer! Could be fun.

Anyway, let's check on Rule first, he said he might have something for us."

4. - Top - End - #1024

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods at Center's words. "It would be potentially risky, but if we pick the right target, it shouldn't be too risky. And unlike you, we don't have extensive inborn abilities. Regardless, expanding our capabilities and improving our ability to prepare is potentially beneficial." She offers him a quick smile. "After all, there is a reason why adventurers are able to fight things that are born so much more powerful than they are."

"Starting with Rule first is an excellent plan. When looking for information, a broker is never a bad idea to visit."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash smiles grimly. She murmurs an enchantment to deepen her memory and expand her ability to synthesize random bits of information.

*By all means, let's start with Rule. We certainly have no shortage of questions.

*If there's a specific thing that we want to buy with gold from a contract of some sort, let's talk about why we want it, and how to acquire it most efficiently. Perhaps then we eliminate the middle-person, so to speak.

Well done in turning up the clue about this Delone. Even if he was unsuccessful, knowing who else might have been interested IN him might tell us more about who has the key now.*

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ash casts Lore of the Gods.

Knowledge check from Ash on Delone. If Arcana or Local, add 14 to the roll. If nobility, dungeoneering or nature is the most relevant, add 4 to the roll. If religion or planes, add 9. If History, add 10. If anything else, the roll as is: (1d20+14)[26]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    Ash recalls one obscure mention in a history regarding the lich Vecna. It said that at one point Vecna left Greyhawk and later returned with ‘a relic of Delone’. There was no further mention of it.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avakuss

"That is quite a list of leads. I do think we need to follow up with Rule. Only one of us should meet with him, as requested. He should have a lead more relevant to our goals than random bounty hunting for jink. I can check on Hesum in the meantime. Anyone is welcome to join me. The dojo should be working on unarmed combat by the time we get there."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

8. - Top - End - #1028

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods encouragingly at Avakuss's comment. "Excellent, it is best if we do not anger the information broker we rely on. I can handle Rule."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center says "In that case, Avakuss, I'll go see your dojo with you."

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash has no qualms at all about skipping yet another conversation with Rule.

*Excellent. I'll look into other sources of information about Delone and the Mad Rajah.
    I seem to recall a passing to reference to Delone, associated with an artifact collected by Vecna.*

She weaves a spell linking the group.

*There. We're linked by a telepathic bond. I'll be able to send to all of you at a distance.
    If you drop your Mind Blank protection, you'll all be able to reach out to the rest of us as well. Just in case of emergencies, yes?*

Show
    Ash casts Rary's Telepathic Bond on the group.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-04-20 at 11:50 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #1031

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods at Ash's connection. "True. But it would likely be simpler to simply depart the problem. And if Rule has relevant information on those topics... another source is always valuable. I do not trust him to reveal all relevant information."

With that, she stands, putting away her scroll and writing implements, before approaching the door. "I believe we have a plan."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Spoiler: Knowledge Local
    Show
    Ash is seeking ideas as to other locations in Sigil that might:

Have information about legendary individuals like the Mad Rajah. Knowledge Local: (1d20+28)[30]

Have libraries of planar lore. Knowledge Local: (1d20+28)[31]

Be interested in buying libraries of planar lore, like the one that they just stole from pandemonium. Knowledge Local: (1d20+28)[46]

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Show
    A place does come to mind: The Library of the Lady. However, even it is far from certain to have such obscure information. Those libraries that offer even greater depth of knowledge tend to be under the control of deities of knowledge or jealously guarded by the savants and races of the wise who assembled the libraries.

The Lady of Pain is a figure of mystery in Sigil, and she does not allow herself to be worshiped. Still, the pilgrims, refugees, and exiles who come to Sigil are grateful to her for the protection the city offers from their tormentors and the refuge it provides from at least some dangers. As a gesture of thanks, many of them give books, scrolls, or cash to the Library of The Lady, a collection of engineering, planar, historical, and arcane lore that is among the finest on the planes.

The Library of The Lady is open to all inhabitants of Sigil and is located, of course, in The Lady’s Ward.

The library has three rules:
    1) Books do not circulate. Any attempt to remove a book physically or by magical means is met with violent opposition by the dabus and even by warden archons and devils working together. Copying books is permitted, as long as the originals do not leave the library. Attempted theft is punishable by the removal of the thief’s soul for one month, during which time he must reshelf books as a member of the library staff. Repeat offenders get longer sentences.
    2) Books must not be harmed, marred, cut, dog-eared, written in, enchanted, wizard-marked, shapechanged, glamered, blessed, desecrated, charred, doused with any liquid, scented, or otherwise altered. The use of nondestructive divinations on books is permitted, as is the use of read magic and copying cantrips. Altering a book in any way other than through normal wear is cause for expulsion from the library for one year.
    3) Violence, running, or vandalism lead to immediate and permanent expulsion from the library. Those whose behavior is exceptionally disruptive might be imprisoned in one of the Lady’s mazes with a single blank book for company. Silence or quiet speech is encouraged but not required. Silence spells are applied to some sections of the library.

Magic scrolls, spellbooks, books of prayer, sentient books, animated books, rare and delicate books, and vile tomes are kept in the Extradimensional Reading Room, which is accessible only by Chief Librarian Goldfeather. He opens the room by opening a particular book from the library’s shelves; frequent visitors to the Library of The Lady know that the book that opens the room is different every time. The Extradimensional Reading Room has heavy magical warding against teleportation, passwall, and other forms of dimensional shifting. Access to the Extradimensional Reading Room is restricted to scholars who have books of their own to offer in exchange for access to the collection there. (Using the Extradimensional Reading Room collection rather than the main library collection increases the circumstance bonus on Knowledge checks that the library provides.)

Individuals or groups that give Chief Librarian Goldfeather a book or spell scroll worth at least 2,500 gp buy an hour’s time in the Extradimensional Reading Room. Larger gifts buy more time; spellbooks or ancient, obscure volumes from the merchant houses of the Lower Styx bring days of joy to the sage. Security is even tighter there than elsewhere, and infractions against the library rules are treated just as harshly.

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    When Eilyra shows up at the Styx Oarsman, the usual mix of humanoids and fiends is there. There's even an ice devil this time, attempting in vain to get drunk despite its immunity to poison. Rule is at his usual spot at the bar. He waves you over.

"Your timing on this occasion is impeccable. Private business, so my room? Or elsewhere, just not here."

Once in a private place, he tells you "I have been told of a ruin in the Waste that could well be the gate you seek. My contact is a Marraenoloth. Normally even I don't trust 'loths, but Marraenoloths are different; they are almost as trustworthy as the most backstabbing of tanar'ri.

Anyway, this ruin is rumored among the Marraenoloths to be a power source and one that several powerful fiends have recently taken passage to. What's more, the area that it's in is known for swarms of nasty Abyssal Spiders, colorful insect-like flying predators. You folks mentioned insects, and I'm guessing that's not a coincidence.

I know a portal that leads near the Styx. In the Abyss, but that's no matter. My contact will be waiting there. You'll still have to pay him for passage, of course, and hope that he's not in a betraying mood. Four hundred jink per passenger usually puts them in a good mood."

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Avakuss
    Show
    At the dojo, all seems well. Hesum is practicing unarmed combat with some of the other students. He seems fairly talented, but nowhere close to your own level of skill.

15. - Top - End - #1035

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Taking in the scene at the Oarsman, Eilyra slowly approaches Rule. "Information is often best handled in privacy."

After following him to said private location, she stands, and listens to his explanation. "An unusual contact, but it may explain why finding information about the ruin was difficult. The River Styx plays no favorites. And if powerful fiends have been taking passage there, that is certainly of potential interest. And as we didn't have any particular plans for today, beyond gathering information." She pauses, thoughtfully. "Where would this portal be found? Do you have any additional information about this particular Marraenoloth that may be of use? And while we are discussing things about interest, would you know anything about the Avatarist and the Lich we encountered in Pandemonioum? They were interested in the library retrieved there, and seem to be based in another potential ritual site." She pauses thoughtfully. "For that matter, if you have a watcher to spare, it may be wise to set them to observing the portal we encountered in the Astral Plane. I sealed it, temporarily, but what is sealed can be unsealed. And if others are interested in it, well, we would certainly be interested in them."

She looks thoughtful for a moment, and then shrugs. "Regardless, said ritual site does seem to be below a field preventing magical divination, located in mountains approximately twenty five mountains to the west of Aelcliff. If you would be able to acquire more information about that area, it would be quite useful. We are planning a return trip tomorrow, assuming that the trip to the Grey Wastes is not too time consuming. For more general information, if you have found out anything interesting of the Cult, or on the Gloom, or potential links to Vayyel or the Mad Rajah, that would also be helpful."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash girds herself for a trip to the Lady's library. She transfers an armload of the books that Eilyra has already gone through and discarded from her study to her bag, and drifts through the streets of Sigil on the way to the famed library of the Lady. She considers a variety of subterfuges, in case she was being followed, but decided instead to trust her instincts and the absurdly overwhelming safety measures at the library to keep her safe.

At the library, Ash smiled at the front attendants. She pulled out four books.

"Good morning! So...how much time would this get me?"

Show
    I'm not sure what rolls would be relevant, so feel free to make any rolls you wish for me. Sheet.

Her first focus is on finding out information about the Mad Rajah, or (if that's an immediate dead end) anything about the cult of Tharizdun's hidey-hole on the astral plane.

Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-04-21 at 11:32 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Show
    Rule replies "The Marraenoloth has called themself Eonorl and has been useful to me in the past, though I'd rather say no more of that.

The portal is in the back entrance to the Goblin Cuts butcher on Red Street. Simply hold a live rat in your hand when you enter, and you will be transported to the Abyss instead of entering the shop. Hilarious!

I will find a suitable watcher for the Astral Portal, but it'll take some time, perhaps a day if I focus. You will have to lead this watcher to it, or give me very detailed directions.

As for the other questions, I have no new information. I really have no contacts on the Prime; it was never very interesting to me."
    Last edited by kinem; 2022-04-21 at 08:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Show
    The human men Ash first speaks to seem a bit confused and call over the chief librarian, Goldfeather. He's a Marrash - a winged, gnollish-looking outsider with a head that resembles that of a jackal and bird-like feet. Though the fiends are known for evil and spreading of disease, Goldfeather himself is a respected scholar.

He looks at the books. "Hmm. Interesting! Where did you get these? I'm not sure how to appraise them just yet, but let's say, if you donate them, an hour in the Extradimensional?"

OOC If you do reach an agreement with him, he will take down a book from a seemingly random shelf and open it up, which opens a portal to the Extradimensional Reading Room, which he leads you to.

Mad Rajah: Tales about Rajah Manapora are not that hard to find, but few seem relevant. It's clear that he was once quite powerful, not just personally but as leader of the Rakshasas, and was roughly equal to an archdevil. His powers of divination were legendary. However, he began to behave erratically and came into needless conflict with many, including the Baatezu (who, as you know, eventually imprisoned him). One tidbit you find is that he once went to Bavia and spent a few months there. When he disappeared (was imprisoned), it was a great setback for the Rakshasas, and their power stopped growing and began to dwindle as they fought among themselves.

Astral Gate: You find one mention of it, in a book about the Cult of Tharizdun which mostly just contains information you already know. It notes that a Harbinger has appeared on the Astral as a result of energy being drawn from the Gate, and speculates that if this happens with all three Gates, Tharizdun's release would soon follow.

19. - Top - End - #1039

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Eilyra smiles, slightly, at Rule's words. "That is one of the more entertaining portal keys I have heard of. And luckily, rats are not too hard to find. As for the portal, it can be reached via... " Eilyra offers the detailed directions to said portal. "Now, it will be dark, very dark, and cold in the room, and the usual cold resistance and darkvision effects will not work. There is also a spirit guardian of some sort, although it is mostly able to speak, if you have the right robes on. It promises power, if the target disrupts the seal. There might be something to that, but attempting such a draw will have significant side effects, including insanity at a minimum. Definitely not worth it. Especially since I think there is a high chance that such a draw will allow Thraz to more or less control the drawer. Thus, make sure your watcher isn't a fool."

She pauses for a moment, before she continues. "I'm not too surprised about the lack of information on the Primes. But if you do hear something, it could be helpful. Now, if you don't have any further questions?"
    She looks towards the door.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2022-04-22 at 07:59 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric accompanies Avakuss to the dojo, pleased to be back in his natural form, but now constantly feeling like he has too many legs, whereas before he felt like he had too few, when he was in human form. He arrives at the dojo, and studies the warrior as they practice. It is reasonably impressive, as Taric is unused to fighting without weapons. He is sure, though, that with the use of his weapons against the unarmed warrior, there should be no close contest.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Show
    Rule says "Understood. On the Astral, is there a way to bypass the cold and the dark and the spirit? Three problems to overcome ...

No other questions right now."

22. - Top - End - #1042

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Eilyra frowns thoughtfully at Rule's question. "Yes and no. We do have a limited amount of incense which, when burned in a special torch, provides light in a small radius around the user. I can provide you with a sample, and you may be able to acquire more. We were also able to locate robes that allow the wearer to ignore the cold present within the portal room. Perhaps more importantly, there only seemed to be one entrance into the room with the portal, so it may be possible to observe for others seeking entry, rather than watching the portal itself. The spirit is a thornier problem. It only showed itself when we wore a different set of robes, however, I am uncertain of what the long term effects of it may be. I can provide one of the special cold resistant robes as well."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Show
    Rule replies “Best to keep things simple then. The watcher will watch the door. Hang on to the robes; they may prove useful if you find another cult base.”

24. - Top - End - #1044

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Eilyra nods. "Agreed. And with that handled, it is time for us to part ways. It seems that I have an expedition to the Waste to plan."

That said, she turns to depart, to head back to the Black Sail, to collect her wayward companions, and inform them of the adjusted plans for the day.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods her agreement to the librarian's offer, and dives into the books in the extradimensional library, scribbling notes as she goes. Each tidbit seems to cascade into other possibilities. She is especially interested to learn that even the Mad Rajah had a personal connection to Bavia. It seemed more and more likely that, if there was a confluence of forces and influences, it would be there.

After she finished up at the library, Ash sent briefly to her colleagues.

*I'm finishing up at the library, and will have some news to share. Unless someone else is doing so, I'll head over to the Mercane to learn more about the nature of what services, permits, etc actually go with using their portal.*

Show
    If she doesn't already know the location of the Mercane's offices, knowledge local: (1d20+28)[48]. And if that doesn't work, gather information to find out where they are: (1d20+17)[37]

At the Mercane, she's seeking to confirm when the portal opens and closes tomorrow, what the cost is to use it, what permissions for travel in Bavia it includes, and whether it's advisable to 'pre-book' use of the portal.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Eilyra is the first to return to the Black Sail. Joel is there, but busy, as usual these days.

Ash finds that while there is no official Mercane office in the city, it suffices to inquire of any Mercane merchant, of which there are a few in the Market Ward. Doing business in Union requires a trade writ, which costs 15 gp each and can be purchased easily from any gate or Union Sentinel patrol. In terms of Sigil time, the Planar Gate in Union will switch to Bavia at about 7 AM and remain open for 24 hours. There's no cost to use the gate, but you will probably need a guide and/or transportation to get to the gate. On the Bavian end, anyone entering through the gate will be given a day pass, which is good until the gate to Union switches away from Bavia. Anyone caught in Bavia after that and without proper documents will be considered an illegal immigrant and be subject to arrest. The Mercane don't know further details of the Bavian laws, and they never overstay their welcome there.
    Last edited by kinem; 2022-04-23 at 08:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1047

GreenSorcererElf

Not seeing anyone else at the Black Sail, Eilyra snags a table, orders a drink, and gets down to spell scribing as she waits for Ash, Avakuss, Taric and Center to return.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Firbolg in the Playground

Entering the dojo he watches while waiting for a break in the practice. He makes introductions then offers those that came with him a chance to partake in the practice too. For those in practice, partners are changed occasionally for a variety of experiences. The spirit of the class is cooperative learning as opposed to proving who is best.

Eventually he nods to Hesum to join him for a walk. Granted it hasn't even been a day yet, Avakuss queries Hesum how he's doing and if there are any issues.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash sends a brief mental note to her colleagues.

*The Mercane portal grants a day pass, but no other privileges in Bavia. It will open early tomorrow morning.

*I'm going to head back to the Pandemonium library to try one more spell to learn more about the lich and avatarist. If I'm not back in about 3 hours, something has gone wrong.*

She heads to a jewelry merchant to seek out a small hourglass shaped diamond, and then makes her way back to the portal that started their investigations.

Show
    Ash is seeking out an hourglass-shaped diamond worth 1,000gp. She will exchange it for other diamonds from her stock, and will of course be ready to take a loss on the exchange as needed.

If she encounters anyone new in the tunnel, cavern or library, Ash will immediately retreat back to Sigil and contact her colleagues. Otherwise, she'll find a place to hide up near the ceiling (1d20+11)[21] and cast Hindsight. Specifically, she's after the Days effect:
    Spoiler: Hindsight
    Show
    Days: You sense the events of the past, stretching back one day per caster level. You gain detailed knowledge of the people, conversations, and events that transpired.

The casting time is an hour, but since the target is her, not the people who have been in the room, this should be affected by Mind Blank or the like.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Hesum tells Avakuss "I'm alright, thanks. There's a lot new here, but the familiar routine of practice is keeping me from freaking out, I suppose. I don't think I'm ready to think about the long term yet."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ash is able to get the desired diamond for a total value of just 1050 gp.

In Pandemonium, Ash nearly retreats as she hears something that doesn't sound like just the howling of the wind. Some kind of clicking noise, or perhaps the chomping of a jaw? But she doesn't sense anything there either by mundane or magical means. Knowing the reputation of the plane, she proceeds to the library and casts her spell.

Show
    From what you see with the spell, the lich, wooden soldiers / avatar, and quasit entered the library five days ago. The group began looking through the books. The quasit had to be disciplined by the lich a few times, as it got bored and threw some potentially valuable books, and it once played with the rod of wonder, causing a bright show of colored lights to fill much of the room. On one occasion the lich said to it "Vuzu, we can leave as soon as we find the proof we need." As for the Avatar, it didn't say ... anything, but did look through some books and scrolls.