New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

Eilyra looks curiously at Ash. "What is it that more time to prepare would allow you to do? Considering the minor effect of the plane, resist planar effects seems to be unnecessary. I can always use more time to scribe spells."

She also looks to Taric. "I could transform you into something with wings, although I'm afraid that I'm not aware of anything that would resemble you as you are now, but with wings. Most winged creatures tend to be bipedal, or insufficiently intelligent to be of use."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2022-05-13 at 07:48 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash arches an eyebrow.

*I would have thought that, having faced so many dangers together, you have have trusted me to know my capabilities. But very well.

*Planar Tolerance spells will indeed help us against the mind-numbing effects of the Wastes, but also against any other localized effects that we don't know about yet.

*There are ways to provide a magical resistance against the many spells and effects that will be common in the Wastes, and I would like to prepare those protections.

*Devil Blight and Demon Dirge are both custom-built to fight specific opponents from the lower planes, and I'd like to have them available to me.

*Bolt of Glory is an offensive magic that's especially effective against exactly the kinds of creatures that we're likely to face.

*Most fiends are resistant to the energy damage that I rely on to help out in battle. I would like an opportunity to switch out fore a variety of more esoteric offensive spells.

*Since immersion in the Styx seems to be at least a possibility, there is a way to protect myself from the effects by emulating death itself.

*And, not to state the obvious, there are spells that will clearly not be of use that I would like to substitute as well.*

She shrugs, clearly frustrated at being second-guessed in this way.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #1083

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra offers her a placating smile. "It is strange, to have switched roles so. And unlike your more divine source, I need to have the spells scribed in a sensible fashion before I can even prepare to cast them, and replacing my lost book?" She shrugs. "Is not a simple thing." She looks back to Ash, before she continues. "In some ways, it does reduce the complexity of deciding. It will, I think, run the risk of us having less time in Bavia than would be desired, and it likely means that we won't have time to prepare again before Bavia. Between Taric, Avakuss, and myself, we can likely handle the killing things side of this expedition, especially if you can keep them distracted, and offer support. If you feel it is essential to our success, then we wait, and I can continue my scribing."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash chuckles.

*It is indeed ironic that we have so completely switched places. Not twelve hours ago, you were adamant that we be careful and not take undue risks, and now you are encouraging haste. But, as I've pointed out, we can leave the wastes whenever you like so that we can head to Bavia. And I am quite sure that you would be unconvinced by the argument that 'the rest of us can take care of you' if our roles were reversed.

*I assure you, I'll be as quick as I'm able.*

Conscious of the desire for speed, Ash unfolds her portable home and descends.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ash will renew her long-term spells, and use Miracles to add Dragonsight and Glimpse of the Prophesy to the mix, then get some rest.

Once I've got the thumb's up, I'll update her spells.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-05-13 at 11:39 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #1085

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods, once. "And I think the next time I ask you for caution, you will listen, yes? Unlike last time."

After Ash descends into her hole, Eilyra looks to Taric, Avakuss, and Center. "Perhaps you would care to wait in my mansion? I'm confident the servents can arrange a box for the rat, and it is rather more comfortable than here." Without waiting for a response, she heads back to the still active portal, heads to her well lit office, and pulls out her scroll once more, and settles in to spend the next nine hours productively.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avakuss had gotten too deep in thought. Ash was descending into her hole. He shakes his head. "Our plans change like the path of a butterfly. If we have a contact waiting for us we shouldn't keep them waiting. If the spells are really needed, aren't there planes where time passes differently?"
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center says "Probably. What I suggest though is that we make contact with the ... contact, and make sure the delay won't cause a problem. I can do that. Although taking more people might help in case of battle, I think my ability to teleport myself at will should help keep me safe, and avoid the need to stand and fight if confronted."

8. - Top - End - #1088

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra pauses in her departure, and turns back to face Avakuss. "That would make considerably more sense, and raises an interesting question." Eilyra looks down into Ash's hole, before she calls out. "Ash, we need to check with our contact before delaying for nine hours. If the answer is no, you may be able to refocus yourself on the boat trip."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods her understanding, and returns to her preparations.

10. - Top - End - #1090

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra looks down at Ash, shrugs, and then back to Avakuss, Taric, and Center. "I think that's about as a definitive answer as we're going to get. The portal's this way."

With that, she starts leading the way to the back entrance to the Goblin Cuts butcher on Red Street.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

To no one's surprise, Goblin Cuts is run by goblins. There seem to be about a dozen of them, all wielding comically large meat cleavers. What is surprising is that they are doing a brisk business selling meat of dubious origin to customers of a variety of races.

With the squirming rat in hand, heading in the back way opens a portal to a dimly lit plane with occasional bright blue flashes as of lightning, but you don't hear thunder.

OOC: Will just Center go as he suggested, or is this a group expedition?

12. - Top - End - #1092

Avakus joins them to Goblin Cuts.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Some goblins heading towards the store see the group vanish into the dark portal.

In the Abyss, the sky glows a faint red, which is obscured by clouds of dust. There are flashes of blue lightning but no sound of thunder. You do hear the howling of the wind as it blows over the barren landscape - or perhaps that is not the wind ... ?

It's the sound of running water in the distance that suggests you are on the right track.

After a walk that seems long, you approach the river. Other than a foul smell, it doesn't seem that unusual, but you do see a robed, thin figure approaching. With its tattered robe and skull-like face, it could easily pass for a lich.

"I expected one more" the creature says.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric says to Center, "I will go with you. I might not be much use with magic, but I am reasonably skilled with the blade, and may be able to keep you safe. So long as you can also teleport me should the need arise." He then prepares to be transported. Since he is not likely to be of much use to the spellcasters just waiting in the extradimensional house, he feels he will be of more use travelling with Center.

15. - Top - End - #1095

GreenSorcererElf

Reaching the portal, Eilyra hesitates for but a moment before touching the rat and stepping through. Following the sounds of water, she follows the rough track to the river, and sees the Marraenoloth. "Indeed. However, before we get into details, perhaps you would care to introduce yourself? While I suspect you are our contact, it seems wisest to confirm that."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center had replied to Taric "Unfortunately I couldn't take you with me when I teleport ... or at least, not more than once a day, if I use my flexible magic." However, the point was moot as Avakuss and Eilyra made clear that Center wouldn't be going alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Marraenoloth replies "Really? You are not sure who I am? I am called Eonorl. I run a water taxi. If you have the jink, I'll keep you out of the drink."

17. - Top - End - #1097

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra smiles, relaxing slightly as Eonorl demonstrates that he, at least, knows the name that Rule of Three gave. "I was sure who I was expecting to meet. And I was hopeful that you were indeed that person." Her smile fades slightly, as she continues. "I gather that you are expecting to leave near immediately? How long do you anticipate the trip to our destination to take?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Eonorl replies "Travel time on the Styx can be unpredictable, but I expect it will take between two and five hours.

And yes, we should leave immediately. This area is fairly deserted, but in the Abyss you never know what might wander over."

19. - Top - End - #1099

Avakuss pulls out four 100gp gems. He waits to ensure the others have what's needed before handing them over. "We know to stay out of the drink. Anything else?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1100

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods at Eonorl's words, before she looks to Center, and Taric. "Center, would you be willing to take the rat, and retrieve Ash? Let her know that we do need to depart immediately, per our guide and host."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center nods, and goes over to take the rat from Taric.

If handed the rat, he holds the squeaking creature gingerly but firmly.

He says "We probably should have marked the location of the portal somehow. But, I will try to find it."

With that, he heads off.

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    After about an hour after the group left, Center is back in the inn. He calls out "Ash? Can you hear me? The group has decided that we need to take the trip immediately."

22. - Top - End - #1102

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra warches as Center leaves, before looking back to Eonorl. "What sorts of threats have you seen along the way? Can you describe our destination or give us some idea of what we are traveling into?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Eonorl replies "The Styx has its own dangers, but I know the safer routes. Even so, on any route danger could appear. Abnormally rough water, water spouts, shifting portals, and roaming fiends. Of the latter, hydoloths are the most common, but really anything might be possible. You might think the Styx's reputation would keep most creatures away, but some don't know what they are getting into. Some drink to forget. Some are beasts and need no minds. Some are immune, like the undead. And some have boats. Along our path, we will take many portals. Such is the way of the river.

Our final destination is a gloomy place even by my standards. Although, I do like some excitement of course. I don't need food, clothing, or shelter, so you might wonder what I do with the profits.

Anyway, at our destination there are those nasty swarms I mentioned to Three, so I don't like to linger there. About three hundred yards from the river lies the old ruin. I don't know who is there, and even if I did, I would not betray my race's reputation by telling you. In truth I have told you too much already, more than any other boatman would, and that I have only done for reasons I will say no more of."

24. - Top - End - #1104

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra offers the Marraenoloth a brief smile. "Your openness is appreciated, as is your warning. While we wait for Center and our remaining friend to return, would you happen to have any tales you would be willing to tell?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Eonorl replies "A tale for a tale, then.

One of my favorite stories is that of The Greedy Swordsman. Once upon a time, a mortal swordsman found himself in the Abyss. He was the sole survivor of an ill-fated adventuring expedition that had stumbled there through a portal.

Desperate to get back home, he came upon a boatman. He begged the boatman to take him back to the Material plane. The boatman asked for payment, and the swordsman handed him a few coins, claiming that it was all he had.

The boatman could see that the man was lying, since he had a rather fine sword with him, which he could have offered in payment. But the boatman agreed, nevertheless, to transport the man, even though such a trip is never easy as the boatman can not easily find his way back.

Since his payment had been short, the boatman took a shortcut, which did indeed bring the pair to the Material plane, thus fulfilling his promise. It was not the safest route, though.

The boat emerged onto a river where a great frog beast, a froghemoth, was lying in wait. Just as the swordsman had used his tongue to lie to the boatman, this beast used its tongue to snatch up the swordsman, in a fine bit of poetic justice. The swordman's screams were loud, but soon silenced as the beast swallowed him whole.

The story has a happy ending. Unable to chew the sword, the beast spat it back up, and the boatman retrieved it and went on his way."

26. - Top - End - #1106

GreenSorcererElf

Eiylra listens to the tale of the marraenoloth, and nods, slightly. "An interesting tale, and a warning. I suspect that I don't take from it what you would want me to take from it. I suppose that I have a similar tale."

She shifts her stance, slightly, to make sure she could tell her tale properly. "Long ago, in a place that is no longer, a deal was struck, between a house of merchants, and a house of farmers. Both, of course, looked down upon each other, but both knew that they needed the others. The farmers, well, they could grow things you couldn't imagine, and the merchants, well, they were renowned for transporting and trading goods from across the planes. At first, things were well."

"The farmers grew the finest crops, the merchants paid the agreed upon price for them, and sold them. A simple, common arrangement. But as time passed, the merchants realized that without them, the farmers couldn't take their crops to the markets, and the farmers realized that they could take their crops. More importantly, both prepared to remove the others from the agreement."

"It was a warm summer day, when it happened. The merchants and the farmers had both proposed a celebration, to remember the one hundredth year of their arrangement, but both had an ulterior motive. Both had their plans, and when noon struck, so did their mercenaries. The mercenaries, however, had a third plan. Instead of killing just one faction, they killed both, much to the horror of the merchants and farmers. When the dying merchants asked why, the mercenaries responded "Why would anyone trust either of you, being unable to keep to the letter or spirit or your arrangements?". The mercenaries, faced with a mercantile empire, and a farming empire to rule tried, but ultimately failed to run both."

"Unlike yours, it wasn't a happy ending for everyone, but like yours, it is educational."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

The winged woman sighs and emerges from her portable home. She nods her gratitude to Centre, and closes up her home.

"I'm shocked. I will do my best to assist."

She follows Centre back out to the portal and through. As she walks, she takes on the appearance of an erinyes - an appearance that will fool only the simple, but better than nothing. When they reach their colleagues, she nods.

"You must be Eonorl. Centre tells me that we are in a hurry. Where is your boat?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As we're dealing with a 'loth, a certain level of evil and deceit is built in. But Ash is watching for any signs of a clear deception. Sense Motive: (1d20+29)[33]

And using arcane sight to analyze any magic auras on Eonorl and the boat.

Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-05-29 at 11:07 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    As far as Ash can tell, she sees no sign that the Marraenoloth is deceiving you.

Eonorl says "Interesting story.

Ah, looks like there will be another passenger after all. Have you brought your fare, Erinyes?

Come this way."

Eonorl heads towards the river, then vanishes. Approaching the river, you see that he is there now atop a skiff that's about 20' in length, and clutching a long pole.

The boat rests with its bow resting on the bank of the river. This will let you climb onto the boat without wading into the river, though it would seem that casting off might be difficult.

29. - Top - End - #1109

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra will reach into her pouch to remove the required 400 jink, prepared to pay her fare as she approaches the boat.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash riffles through a pouch on a chain around her neck, withdrawing two small, gleaming diamonds, and prepares to hand them off to the boatsman.

"When did you last make this journey, Eonorl?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-06-01 at 05:05 PM.