New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Planescape: Center of All - IC

Ash

Ash considers.

*Hmm. Generally between a foot and two feet in diameter. Rough enough to allow deposits of waste to build up here and there. Probably not naturally occurring, if that even means anything on Pandemonium. It seemed to go on for miles. What did you have in mind?*

After anything that anyone wanted stored in her home was tucked away, Ash closed it up again and tucked it away for safekeeping.

*So. Back to Sigil to rest and check in with Rule of Three, give him some of this stuff to fence, then on to Bavia?*
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns as she takes in Ash's answer. Probably not fully artificially created then. A conjured burrower? Regardless, not helpful. She continues to transfer books into the hole, but once Ash voices a plan, Eilyra's frown returns. "Eventually, yes. But we should check for an ambush on the far side of the portal before we pass through, and I think we could all use a rest, and some time to fence these goods, and acquire new ones, before we proceed. I suspect Rule of Three may have information on where to go as well." She shakes her head in disgust. "Probably already had a pretty solid idea, even."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

"It is prudent to prepare for another fight against them, planned on our part or surprise by them, I agree with Eilyra in trying to have a conversation. They have information we want and we have the whole library they wanted to learn from. The challenge is how to make that happen. The lich did seem open to a discussion at first. Since we solidly defeated them and now still want to talk instead of just beating on them again perhaps the lich will listen a bit more. Perhaps a few Sendings first for negotiation. Sigil might a decent neutral ground for meeting in person."

"So yes, we have to prepare for another fight with them where they are more ready for us, probably in greater force. Death Ward protection. Ice to Flesh items. Protection from Evil to deal with summons. What more do they probably threaten with via spells? They'll probably be scrying for us as we are them. They can't just teleport to Sigil so we'll be safer there. At least we have a second portal key in case Rule demands the original back."

"We should deal with the Symbol on the armor. I could tie a rope to the armor and leave it behind us until we are far enough away to avoid its affect. Center can then Dispel it and I can use the rope to retrieve the armor. Safer to do it on this side of the gate."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #214

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods in agreement with Avakuss. "I'd need to pick up a scroll of sending, and scribe it, or find someone to copy it from, but casting it is simple enough. And preparation could be challenging." She breathes in, taking advantage of the momentary pause to think her points through, before she resumes talking. "The Lich is likely a necromancer, so we can expect undead, which, handily, have some vulnerabilities. Resistance to cold, and water breathing, to counter the drowning, and a counter to the symbol which is a little more reliable than a thrown bottle of ink. The Flesh to Ice, on the other hand, is more challenging. Frostfell is quite effective. Cold resistance, and maybe something to fortify physical forms might work. And I agree, dealing with the symbol is a plan, and we should have the room for it in the tunnels." She tosses a quick grin Avakuss's way. "As fun as it might be to deal with it in the streets, making that sort of disturbance draws notice."

With the last of the books loaded, and the magical gear safely stowed away, and a few of the lich's bones secured, Eilyra heads towards the entrance of the library, and takes a quiet look outside, through the gap made earlier, to see if there was anything unpleasant waiting outside.

Spoiler: Taking a lookit
    Show

(1d20+19)[35] Spot
    (1d20+14)[18] Listen
    (1d20+10)[21] Hide
    (1d20+15)[20] Move Silently
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    Other than the strange whistling of the wind, Eilyra doesn’t sense anything unusual out there.

6. - Top - End - #216

GreenSorcererElf

Not sensing any threats in the cavern, Eilyra looks back, to verify if her erstwhile companions were following, before stepping back into the entrance room, to wait for everyone to depart the library.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash follows back out of the library once all ready. She moves as quickly as possible through the cavern and out into the passage beyond, to avoid the unpleasantness in the chamber itself. She'll wait by the portal, since Eilyra seems to have a plan to check on the other side of the portal before passing through.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Will save in cavern - Ash fails on a 1: (1d20)[19]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #218

As long as Center agrees, Avakuss takes the trapped armor (careful not to disturb the ink stain), ties a rope to it, and leaves it in the back of the library. Once all are clear of the library he asks Center to dispel it. Once that is done the goliath uses the rope to retrieve the armor. He carries it back while catching up with the others. Once the portal is open he is the first one through.

Show
    Who is actually carrying the 2nd portal key? I'd suggest different people carry them just in case.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Center agrees and dispels the Symbol.

The trip back to Sigil proves uneventful; no ambush waits on the other side of the portal, this time ...

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric looks at the others. "How long will you need to prepare yourself for the trip to the Prime? I am ready to go now, so it is up to you when we go. I will guard you while you rest," he says to the casters.

11. - Top - End - #221

GreenSorcererElf

Returning from her very fast scouting run to the far side, Eilyra quickly relays the safety, before the group heads through.

At Taric's question, however, she frowns, thoughtfully. He thinks he's ready now? It would be nice, but no. Let me see... selling and buying goods, getting planar keys, talking with Rule, maybe scribing a new spell, taking a rest to actually prepare for planar travel... it is likely to be a day or so, before we're all done with that.
    She then gives him a look. "Most likely a day, more or less. There is quite a bit to be done before we can travel safely, and we'll need to find out where we are going, as well as what we'll be doing in the meantime." She looks around once more, and sighs in disappointment. "We should probably talk to Rule of Three first, so he can set his contacts to work following up on what we found while we buy and sell, and rest until morning."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash heads back through the portal, a bit relieved to once again smell the been-through-a-billion-lungs-and-smells-like-it air of Sigil.

*Centre, where did you go to connect with Rule last time?*

Show
    I can't remember whether we set up a specific way to contact Rule.

13. - Top - End - #223

"If it comes to a fight, we're sure to face more exploding undead. Be good to get some protection against the explosion and some weapon crystals against undead. Protection from death magic will save lives. Woody has that Anti-Life shell that gets in the way."

"Scribing Sending, using several the next day as well as Divinations, then preparing spells again while Rule gathers information. Could be two to three days? We'll be divining for them and they will probably be doing the same for us."

"Yes, let's see what Rule can enlighten us with."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra nods. "That's the key. We need to pick between rushing, and trying to take our enemies before they can react, or preeparing, and maybe seeing if our enemies might become our allies, at the risk of giving our enemies the time to act, if they choose."
    She then shrugs.
    "Either way, checking with an information source first seems prudent. And considering that we started in the middle of the night, a rest would not go astray either."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Before returning to Sigil, Center once again takes the form of a robed human man.

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    *Centre, where did you go to connect with Rule last time?*
    Center replies "I asked around about where to find Rule of Three, and was told to go to the Styx Oarsman. I think he spends most of his time there, and owns it."

16. - Top - End - #226

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra looks over, and smiles at Center. "I think we have a destination, then." Of course, that might link him to us, but I don't see a problem there. We could go to the Black Sail as well, but where's the fun in that?
    With that, she heads out, clearly expecting to be followed as she heads towards the Styx Oarsman.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Most of you are familiar enough with the soot-filled Lower Ward of Sigil to make your way to the Styx Oarsman fairly easily. Along the way, you pass a trio of mezzoloths, but they don't try to start any trouble.

The two-story structure of the Styx Oarsman squats on the edge of Heward's Forks, a small square connecting the bend in Brandy Lane to the curving thoroughfare of Ironmonger Street. The dung covered statue that is set in the square gives the small court it's name and provides the local avians with a favorite perch and latrine.

The Styx Oarsman itself appears to be a roughly rectangular building with a boat on top of it, which serves as the upper floor.

Tonight, the bouncer at the door is a bladeling, a spiky metallic man with glowing ourple eyes and a chain shirt. He looks over the group, nods, and lets you.

Inside is a noisy menagerie of sorts, with a number of tanar'ri present - a vrock, the marilith bartender behind the bar, a few babau, and numerous quasits and mephits. There are also many githzerai, as well as humans, tielflings, dwarves, a few drow elves, a few fiendish minotaurs, and even a few yugoloths. Several of the patrons are playing cards or tossing dice; most have drinks. It does not appear that food is served here.

Drinking at his usual seat at the bar is Rule of Three, appearing as usual as an elderly githzerai with a glass left eye. He waves you over.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

On the way to the Styx Oarsman, Ash refreshes some of her protections, and places spells over the equipment taken from the lich, to ensure that it can't be used to track them.

---

Ash nods to her colleagues, and makes her way over to Rule's table. Once all have gathered to sit, she looks around mentally to look for those who are paying more attention than they should. Some might be Rule's folk. They're good to know about too.

She nods, and shares telepathically with all of her companions, including Rule.

*We got into the library, and Eilyra learned some things that she can best explain. But there was a complication. A lich - probably a dread necromancer, coming from Sigil, and a Wooden Avatarist based on the material plane - were already at the library, seemingly researching the same topic, and were not inclined to share. There was a fight, we killed their forms, but of course that doesn't deal with them permanently.

*The Lich carried a Sigil key, so may have been based here. The Avatarist's corporeal form is currently in Aelcliff, in the country of Bavia, on the continent of Arutlan. We need to track him or her down before they're able to further their own research, or come after us. Rule, do you think that you can find a planar key for that world?*

Show
    En route to the Oarsmen, she'll cast Nondetection on each of the magic items we took from the lich. She'll also renew her Moment of Prescience.

Ash is checking the room for anyone paying more attention to them than they'd normally deserve: (1d20+29)[33]

I think I forgot to check to see if I knew anything about Bavia or Arutlan. She'll use her Moment of Prescience, then check Know Geography: (1d20+29)[38] or Know Planes: (1d20+38)[57]. She'll then renew Moment of Prescience.

19. - Top - End - #229

GreenSorcererElf

Having led the way through Sigil, deftly weaving through a few back alleys to save some time, Eilyra pauses momentarily at the entrance, giving Ash the chance to go in first, and, when Rule gestures, Eilyra hesitates just long enough to make it clear that she isn't coming over because he ordered her to. She also doesn't respond to Ash's explanation, waiting to see if Rule wanted greater privacy, if he was so concerned about his life, or if he had specific questions.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    Ash recalls that Arutlan has often been a war-torn land.

Several of the patrons watch as the group approaches Rule, but he gestures dismissively with his hand and that's enough for them to go right back to what they were doing.

Rule replies telepathically (and he has his own telepathy, so those with Mind Blank up can still 'hear' it but can't reply in the same way)

Interesting. This isn't a place for private verbal conversation. Eilyra, I could stop by the Black Sail tomorrow morning, if that works best.

Did you take anything from there? I would think a lich had magical items.

I've never heard of those places, but I'll make some inquiries. Hmm ... If the lich went through that portal, they must have came into Sigil through another portal. That's not much to go on since there are so many portals and they might not have come directly from the Prime.

I'm a bit worried that the ones you fought now know about you. From now on, if you want to contact me here, it's best if you don't all come as a group. One person is enough to share information and will attract less attention.
    Last edited by kinem; 2021-06-27 at 01:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash nods and glances at the others.

*Yes, we have some items we recovered from the Lich, and some wooden minions. I believe Avarkuss has a list. There are some that we're hoping that you'll be able to liquidate, and you'll be able to take your cut from the proceeds.

*It would be difficult but not impossible for the avatarist to track us back to Sigil tonight. It might be safest for us to stay close together for the rest of the night, unless any of you have pressing business for the next few hours. Rule, do you have rooms available in this place?*

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rule replies telepathically I can probably fence the items.

By this time of night, all rooms are spoken for. And though my usual business is not as pressing as this affair, since there is probably no real danger tonight, and to not attract attention, I prefer to stick to my routine.

23. - Top - End - #233

GreenSorcererElf

As Ash and Rule think, Eilyra looks to the barkeep, and orders a drink.

(Something more sugary and winey.)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The Marilith bartender - some of you have heard her referred to as Mary - mixes up a cocktail for Eilyra, with each of her six hands pouring something into the mix. "Abyss Kiss. One jinx."

The cocktail is delicious ... and not even poisonous!

25. - Top - End - #235

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra passes over the coin, and takes the proffered drink, taking a sip, with a nod. As she does, she looks to Rule, and Ash, as well as at the awkwardly standing Avakuss and Taric, before taking another sip, clearly waiting for Ash and Rule's business to conclude.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric remains silent, listening carefully but not interjecting into the discussion. He is not the smartest or wisest of the party, and he has nothing meaningful to contribute to the discussion, since he only knows about the lich's home secondhand. So he remains silently standing guard over the squishier members of the party as they talk to Rule.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ash

Ash glances at her colleagues, but gets nothing more at this point. She sends back.

*Very well. I'll take a room at the Black Sails tonight. The rest of you are welcome to join me if you wish. We'll meet you there with the stuff to be unloaded - a ring, some armour, you can probably say better than we can what it'll fetch.
    I'll arrange with Joel for a meeting room. An hour past midday?*

Barring further discussion, she'll rise and head out with the others, to book a room or suite at the Black Sails.

Show
    Moving this along, if no one objects.

At the Black Sails, Ash will pay for the largest not-absurdly-expensive room and open up her pit/house inside. Others are welcome to use the room - or to open up a Magnificent Mansion from inside the room, as desired - and to pull books out of the pit to read or dry out.

Once everyone is settled in, Ash will cast Hypercognition, thinking back over the minute or so that they interacted with the lich to see what else she might have picked up about him. The way he move, spoke, reacted...what does she know, but doesn't know that she knows? Because this is simply a 'mind palace' exercise, not targeting anything outside of herself, I don't think that the barrier against divinations in and out of Sigil applies.

Then, to eliminate easy options, she'll cast Discern Location to find "the phylactery of the lich we fought recently".

Then Ash will refresh her active spells for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-06-29 at 01:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rule replies telepathically That's fine.

The party is able to get to the Black Sail without incident. Renting a room there costs 2 gp a night for a small one bedroom, or 5 gp for a double, and there is one of each available.

Center already has his own room there, and wishes the others a good night.

Spoiler: Ash
    Show
    Hypercognition: Thinking back carefully, you recall the Blood Hulks outside the library. Most likely, creations of the lich. But they'd likely draw attention in Sigil. The lich had no disguise either. Did he walk around like that in Sigil? He had the gate key. But the same key can sometimes work for more than one gate ...

Discern Location, as expected, gives no answer.
    Last edited by kinem; 2021-06-29 at 10:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taric is content to share a room, so he can guard the others while they cast their spells and powers. He doesn't bother to rent the smaller room for himself. He moves to the spot right in front of the door, then the four legged bariaur crouches down into a position where he can relax and later sleep. He keeps his weapons inside his gauntlets, where he won't cut himself but where they are ready to hand, so to speak, for when they may be needed.

30. - Top - End - #240

GreenSorcererElf

Finishing her drink before she leaves for the Black Sail, Eilyra wanders into Ash's room, before she moves near one of the walls, and looks at the party for a moment, before visibly sighing, and casting a spell.

Spoiler: Casting
    Show

Eilyra is casting Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, which I think should work in Sigil, but I'm not totally sure.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss