A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

[Off the Phone]

Adir holds out his hand towards Ambrosia, but his eyes are sticking to his wife. "Sakura, she just said that this Cassie has the potential to be dangerous. That doesn't mean we need to separate her, or that there's going to be a lot of physical dangers..." He looks to Ambrosia as if for confirmation, if there's anything more specific she'd like to add on that front. "But we can't just pretend as if she's completely normal either."

"Now when you say she might visit the other kids dreams... how exactly is that dangerous?" Adir asks. He really does need more specific info here.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Off the Phone]

Ambrosia looks between Adir and Sakura as if unsure who to address first. Finally she decides to try to address them both at the same time. "Well-" She throws a quick glance at Cessie. "I shall see what I can do considering my own work." She clears her voice. "But Cassie is what is commonly refereed to as a 'mare', as in 'nightmare'. I suspect that her creator fed on fear so she might as well, though its not something I can tell for sure at this point. It will certainly be something you have to take account for while raising her though as she will experience things that you might not understand or have any reference to." She looks between the two parents. "For instance, how would you explain to her not to disrupt others dreams when she can't help but to visit them every night? Just something to consider for the future."

"...erm, yes, even if it might be something of a challenge they of any parents are up for it. All their children are special in their own way after all." Cessie remarks, the harshness of Sakura's tone capable of throwing even her off-guard for a moment. Few were capable of doing that.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-05-08 at 09:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

[Off the Phone]

"She said dangerous like anyone can be dangerous. You can be dangerous, but you're not a danger." Sakura gives a firm reply to Adir.

"But if she has special needs of course I want to know about them and how to approach them." She replies to Ambrosia next.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Matters of Steel

The frankness of Cora's comment takes Fidelia by surprise for a second, but she recovers quickly. "If you learned how to fight with a gun, those wouldn't be a problem either," she points out with a playful smile. "I just like knives, they're what I grew up using. Besides swords are uh, more my girlfriend's thing."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Matters of Steel]

"I've told you before that you should respect other people's ways of fighting, Cora." Wenomir's tone is gentle but firm. It's clear he has indeed had to tell Cora that many times before.
    [Matters of Steel]

Cora's face contorts in a sour look when Fidelia mentions guns. How lame. Cora's about to inform her of that when Wenomir interjects. She clamps her mouth shut. The struggle is real.

Instead she latches onto something palettable Fidelia mentions. "Your girlfriend knows how to fight with a sword?" She inquires.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [The Big One Oh]

The day has finally come.

The day where Lapis' hard work and planning will finally pay off!

Sure the cake and games have been super fun but that isn't the important part! The important part is making her friends very very happy!

To that end?

"Do mine next!" Lapis says, scurrying over to the pair of twins. Lapis had left slip on one of her play dates that she was getting them both something SO SPECIAL but she hadn't really expanded on that at all no matter how much Cora bugged her about it. "These two are the most important."

Two boxes. One VERY distinctly sword, sized. And the other about the size of a shoe box. Lapis hands the larger box to Bastion and the smaller one to Cora. The wrapping torn away, Bastion will likely get at his gift first. An ornate brown box with 'The Toy Tinker' in gold leaf across the lid. Pulling it open, Bastion will find a wizard staff inside, topped with a big yellow pointy star. The staff is all gnarled and a little twisty, but still straight enough to use for a walking stick if he felt like it. Within the cotton-lined box is a list of magic command words that can be spoken to make the staff do real magic!

All of the illusionary and harmless sort, of course. But still! Real magic!

Cora's box is a bit more interesting.

Inside the wrapping is just a regular looking shoe box! UGH! Why would Lapis get her SHOES!?

But when Cora pulls the top off...

There's more space inside the shoe box than outside it.

And inside that shoe box? Another fancy and SUSPICIOUSLY SWORD SIZED! brown box from The Toy Tinker. Once Cora gets it pulled out and the lid thrown off she'll find, nestled inside and resting on a bed of cotton fluff, an exact wooden replica of the sword from the big painting. As she grips its hilt the sword will feel alive with possibility. Of stories to be told and adventures to unfold.

Lapis is vibrating with excitement waiting to see what her friends think of their gifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Big One Oh]

There's one last gift waiting in the wings for Cora, but it can wait as long as they need. It seems to be about the size of a fire hydrant and is wrapped in brown canvas paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [The Big One Oh]

Their mother has of course quite a few presents and even Garn have prepared two though if these are really presents the gargoyle made or if its just more of their mothers gifts under a different name is still to be seen.
    [The Big One Oh]

The twins grab the boxes from Lapis and enthusiastically tear the wrapping paper. Bastion's box is more fancy, but Cora has faith. A cool present can go in a boring box after all.

Bastion gets to his gift first. "Wow!" He produces the staff. "I love it, Lapis!" Oh, but what's this? He notices the instructions and starts to read them carefully.

Cora is a bit behind, because her box confuses her for a moment. It's difficult to process what she's dealing with at first, but she figures out to slide the larger box out of the smaller. Well now she's curious, and she's rewarded when she looks inside. Her first reaction is a wordless exclamation and she tears the sword from the box. She does have the tiniest letdown when she realizes it's not a real sword, but that's just a brief thought. She lifts the sword over her head. "Wooooow!" She gets up out of her seat so she can handle it properly.

4. - Top - End - #364

Matters of Steel

"Mhm!" Fidelia confirms, "Her name's Jenette, she's a knight who works with VIGIL too - and uh, she carries this really big, long one, called a zweihänder." There's a certain brightness to her smile now. It's plain on her face just how fond Fidelia seems to be of Jenette - and consequently, just how much she enjoys telling people about how wonderful she is.

Suddenly, a thought pops into her head.

"I uh- here, actually - I can show you." Fidelia steps back, holds out a hand by her side, closes her eyes and concentrates. Slowly, shining rivulets start to creep down the side of her left leg, building up speed and flowing faster and faster until the liquid metal peels off into the air and begins to swirl into a cylindrical shape before her hand. The material flattens and stretches, creeping upwards and downwards and solidifying - until soon enough there stands the shape of a two-handed sword, shaped entirely out of steel.

The sword stretches upward, nearly a head taller than Fidelia and long as the eviscerator Cessie's girlfriend carries - but compared to that hulking monstrosity of mechanics and gears, the shaped blade before them is a simple and narrow thing with a wide crossguard and a double-edged shape that casts a distinctively sword-shaped shadow along the courtyard ground.

After a second, gravity seems to reassert itself and the weapon begins to lean forward - only for Fidelia to startle, reach up and catch it, wrapping a tanned and lightly scarred hand 'round the ricasso.

"Um, yeah. It uh, kinda looks like this. Just er, has an actual handle, she elaborates awkwardly, raising a hand to wipe a faint sheen of sweat from her brow. Wenomir can probably notice that the action took more energy out of her than she let on - Fidelia's using the blade to support her weight for a moment, as if needing to catch her breath.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2022-05-11 at 12:41 AM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

[The Big One Oh]

Magic words!

Mostly magic words for making the staff shoot various sorts of colorful lights or conjuring simple illusions. If he focused really hard, Bastion could probably even use it to conjure glowing words in the air! All sorts of cool things. Absolutely perfect for playing adventures and zapping imaginary foes. It'll make it WAY easier to play at being a wizard.

As for Cora's gift?

Wow!

It really DOES look just like her sword from the picture! The blade has a slightly metallic hue to it, though the wood grain is still plain to see. The handle and cross-guard have been painted a cool blue, but the blade itself doesn't actually look like it's painted at all? It's just that really cool metallic color all on its own. It isn't sharp, not really, but Cora could definitely imagine it is. Unlike her little short sword toy, well used and loved as it is, this new toy is a longsword! Just like the practice swords she's used with Wenomir. In fact, she could probably practice with it if she really felt so inclined.

The sword wants to be used; to be an important part in exciting stories. It's a subtly magical thing.

Lapis is absolutely beaming, basking in how happy her friends are. "There's one more present it's that big one there but you should open that one last," she suggests. The final gift is the sort of thing that demands to be played with and the twins should definitely open their other presents before getting distracted too much. She'll scoot aside to let other people come forward with their gifts.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

[Matters of Steel]

So this is Fidelia's elemental power. Over metal? Curious. What is she going to do with this sword afterwards? Just throw it away somewhere? Or will it crumble?

"Fidelia's girlfriend trains with another of our members, Calm Reed. She practices a style that suits her better than mine," he observes.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #367

[Off the Phone]

"There's a difference between maybe bopping some other kid at school and feeding on fear, Sakura," says the indignant stag. He looks at Ambrosia with a frown. "I really don't know, Ambrosia. How would I explain that?" Gods, this was a lot...

"Either way, we'll..." Adir sighs. "We'll figure it out. Less definitive answers than I wanted, but it's nice to know we have you two to help. Thank you."

"Now we just have to figure out this thing with the names..." Adir rubs the side of his head with his hand. "Ever since our trouble, Cassie won't let us call her anything except 'Blue'. And the other Cassie, well... thinks she's Cassie too."

[The Big One Oh]

When Cora does get around to her last present, she'll find something very odd. A wooden cylinder about the size of a fire hydrant with a big round button on top. The belly of the thing is painted with stripes, one black and two red. There's a labeled knob on the back with various settings. Above that, there's a sticker in red and gold above a signature in black:

The Toy Tinker's Automatic Sparring Partner - One of a Kind!
    Happy birthday, young Cora
    -the Toy Tinker

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

[The Big One Oh]

The two presents from Wenomir also differ in shape and size considerably. The one for Bastion is a large, square box. When unwrapped, it turns out to be a model of a Vigil airship. However, apart from being able to put it together, Bastion will be able to customize it. The model comes with a variety of parts that can be slotted in and out, creating different types of airship - a combat one, transport one, scouting one, research one, and so on.

Cora's gift is a long and narrow one. When she uncovers it, she will see a leather sheath for a sword - conveniently sized precisely for the sword she just got from Lapis. The sheath is made out of high-quality synthetic leather, reddish brown in color, with black stitching and finishing. There are also engraved letters on both sides of the sheath. One side says "Cora Mithar", while the other says "Adept of the Winding Path Style".
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #369

[Off the Phone]

Poor Adir, since there was more to come. "Let's just say that I wouldn't necessarily use words to explain it to her. Think of it as... visual references." Ambrosia attempts to explain when Cessie raises her voice.

"Right, about that..." She starts but hesitates as Sakura and Adir starts discussing Cassie's new name. "Perhaps you should say it, Ambrosia?"

"Right, Lady Mithar considers it important that I inform you that I'm a dragon in addition to everything else. Which of course doesn't change anything but if you were wondering just why I could tell all these things about Cassie, then now you know." She looks between the two parents. "While I'm sure there are questions, I think we all can agree that Cassie should still be the focus here, not me." She honestly didn't expect the two to consider this big a deal. There were plenty of dragons in the nexus after all.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-05-13 at 12:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

[Matters of Steel]

Normally Cora would be immediately obsessed with the presentation of a sword, but something else has caught her attention. She looks suspiciously at the sword, then at Fidelia's leg. She walks right over to take a closer look. "Hey, how'd you do that?"

[The Big One Oh]

The gifts just keep coming. The two have to restrain themselves. Cora unfortunately has no space to swing her sword around, as much as she desperately wants to. Bastion manages to fill the air around his staff with blue sparks, bringing a big grin to his face. He'll put the staff aside as Wenomir approaches, though. Cora has no such willpower to put her sword down, which makes tearing into her next gift difficult.

"Oh this is cool!" Bastion turns the box around in his hands, looking at all the different pictures on it. This is the exact sort of project Bastion loves. "Thank you, Wenomir!"

Cora, meanwhile, manages to struggle her gift open, a step behind again. "Oooh!" She gasps after connecting the dots for a moment. Then she takes her sword and slides it into the sheath! "Did you two work together on my gift?!" Some kind of birthday scheme.

[Off the Phone]

The original Cassie gets quite distressed if she's called Cassie, and won't be consoled until she's called Blue again. Sakura might be concerned about this away from her, but she's taken to calling her Blue almost immediately. "I don't know if she can help with that, Adir..." Sakura still does sound quite gloomy. It's striking really.

But apparently there's other news? Sakura gives Cessie a bit of a confused look after that reveal. "Oh, okay. That's fine." She replies. "I don't know what that has to do with what you know about Cassie, though."

11. - Top - End - #371

Matters of Steel

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Matters of Steel]

So this is Fidelia's elemental power. Over metal? Curious. What is she going to do with this sword afterwards? Just throw it away somewhere? Or will it crumble?

"Fidelia's girlfriend trains with another of our members, Calm Reed. She practices a style that suits her better than mine," he observes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullara View Post
    [Matters of Steel]

Normally Cora would be immediately obsessed with the presentation of a sword, but something else has caught her attention. She looks suspiciously at the sword, then at Fidelia's leg. She walks right over to take a closer look. "Hey, how'd you do that?"

Fidelia blinks and looks down towards Cora. "Uh - Wenomir mentioned I was a genasi earlier too, yeah? I uh, don't do fire though. My element's steel," she explains, apparently not expecting the question. And indeed, if Cora really scrutinizes the woman in front of her, she'll be able to spot the very ends of Fidelia's own mark, a series of glinting silver veins that pattern a patch along her outer left thigh. Most of it is obscured by her skirt.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

[The Big One Oh]

"I'm glad you like it, Bastion." Wenomir expected Bastion to be happy with the gift, but he's still happy that his idea was a good one. Then he turns to look at Cora again. "Well, I heard Lapis wanted to give you a sword. And a proper sword needs a proper sheath. So it was obvious what I had to do, really."

13. - Top - End - #373
    Barbarian in the Playground

[The Big One Oh]

Lapis is biting her lip with her hands balled up as she bounces on her heels in anticipation of Wenomir replying since it's rude to interrupt grownups.

"I told your mom and Mister Wenomir what I was getting you especially your mom since she wanted to make sure the sword was safe," Lapis explodes the second Wenomir stops talking. "And it's really safe since it's just a wood sword but it's a really nice wood sword and you can practice long-swording with it which is good since your old sword was smaller."

This is deeply important.

How can Cora be a long sword girl if all her toy swords are short swords?

That struck Lapis as a deeply problematic fact and fixing it was very very important.

"When all the cake and presents are done with should fence!"

Ah.

Cora hasn't gotten to do swords with Lapis before. Maybe now, on the most special of days, they'll get to practice together!
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

14. - Top - End - #374

[Off the Phone]

"I don't know what you mean by visual references," Adir says, but he doesn't go on about it. He lets Ambrosia say what she needs to say. Though to be honest, he looks as unconcerned about it as Sakura. "I mean, yeah, what Sakura said. I'm mostly wondering what this has to do with what you know. It's a bit of a surprise, sure, but... I mean, you've always been very polite. Your intentions seem good. How you treat people is a lot more important than what you happen to be."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2022-05-16 at 09:10 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

15. - Top - End - #375

[Off the Phone]

Amborisa gives Cessie a look, see? "Essentially it's my way of communicating with spirits and the like. Since most spirits can't actually communicate at all. However, those that realize that communication can give them something use a series of mental images to communicate. It's like small glimpses of consciousness, pictures, that tell a story. It can be crude but often is often quite effective. Even more so than words I'd argue. However, as a spirit grow stronger it realizes that this form of communication is fairly off-putting which is why they start using our languages instead."

The sorceress crosses her arms across her chest. "Perhaps you should tell them why dragons of your kind have this strong connection to spirits?" She suggests as there was in fact a reason to why she had brought this up.

Once again the scholar don't seem to consider this a big deal as she turns back to Adir and Sakura. "Of course. Since I do eat spirits. I require them for sustenance. But again, just like Cassie herself, just because I can do something doesn't mean I have to do it. I'm not a mindless beast after all. I have communicated to plenty of spirits before and even consider some of them close friends. I wouldn't even consider hurting Cassie or Sarget, just that I think you wouldn't consider hurting one another." A white lie as she would be more open to eat spirit once they turned out to be a threat to others than they might be of hurting one another, especially if she was starving, but it was largely true.

Cessie still don't seem fully satisfied though. "And there was also the VIGIL incident which I know isn't representative of anything but something they still deserve to know."

Ambrosia let's out a small sigh as she looks to the commander. "Yes. we might as well I suppose." This time as she turns to the couple she leans a bit closer. Maintaining a steady gaze as she starts explaining. "Have either of you experienced someone or something taken control of your mind and body? Completely cloud your own judgement and replace it with thoughts they decide you should have? Well, it's awful and it happened to me a little while ago. I attempted to eat a being I shouldn't have and it took over me. Made me attack VIGIL's headquarters. Thankfully, they freed me from its control before I could hurt anyone but the base still took a fair bit of damage." She raises her hand. "It's not something that will happen ever again though as I've learned my lesson from that awful experience."

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

[Matters of Steel]

"Wow, really?" Cora scrutinizes further. "Mommy says that genasi are super special and only a few people get to be one." She pokes the conjured blade.

[The Big One Oh]

"It's super awesome!" Cora sheaths her new sword ton test it out. A perfect fit. She pulls the sheath off again. "Yeah! We could duel. I'd beat you, though." Cora boasts with a cocky grin. She's absolutely getting ahead of herself in her excitement.

[Off the Phone]

"Um..." Sakura purses her lips, uncertain how to react at first. "I'm really sorry that happened to you. I'm glad it all worked out, though." Or at least it sounds like it does. These are the exact sort of incidents that made Sakura wary of Adir doing Vigil work. "But yeah, I don't think any of this changes anything." She doesn't even feel the need to remark on the eating spirits thing.

17. - Top - End - #377

[Matters of Steel]

"Well uh, I'm not so sure I'm special, but - I guess I got a lil' lucky, yeah?" Fidelia's clearly not thought about it that much before, but she does feel a little flattered by it. The zweihänder is solid and smooth, its fine steel cool against one's fingers. Close inspection will let Cora note that the blade's length isn't actually sharpened and honed - presumably because she doesn't intend to actually swing and do combat with it, just to show off.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

[The Big One Oh]

"Just remember to be careful, girls," Wenomir cautions both Lapis and Cora, his voice taking on the authoritative tone Cora knows well by now. "If you want to duel, you'll do it under my supervision."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

[Matters of Steel]

Cora scrutinizes the sword even closer and asks. "Can you make it like a proper sword? Like, sharp and combat ready?" She asks. It's not as impressive if it's just a sword shaped length of metal.

20. - Top - End - #380

[Matters of Steel]

Fidelia blinks, surprised. "Uh, yeah - I can do that pretty well, actually. There just wasn't a reason to actually hone the blade, and uh, I figured I should be safe." She smiles. "Besides, uh, I should probably save some of my energy for my lessons."

A beat - and then suddenly, a thought occurs to the genasi. She leans down a little and gives Cora a conspiratorial look. "Come to think of it, it's not likely you'd cut anyone with this thing - so uh, before I have to let it go, it's probably safe to let you see if you can manage it, huh?" She glances up to Wenomir. "That is, as long as your mentor says it's safe."

Wenomir will notice a glint in Fidelia's eye, a suggestion to play along - and indeed, he might even guess what Fidelia's thinking. A zweihänder like this is definitely way too long for Cora to effectively use, in all likelihood. Still, she might enjoy getting a chance to try nonetheless - and when it ends up being out of the tween's current weight class, maybe her mentor can show her how a zweihänder behaves in the hands of someone more suited to it. Hell, might even be a fun aspirational message in it.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show