New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

Mithar Keep

The home of the Mithar family is an imposing structure. The black granite walls that surround the main structure stand twenty-five feet tall on four sides, cornered by four towers. They have only one entrance, the adamantium forged gate. Beyond that is an expansive courtyard. A cobblestone road carves the way through the well tended greenery toward the keep.

The keep proper towers over the walls surrounding it. The dark stone structure can be seem for miles around, especially perched as it is near a cliffside overlooking the city of Inside. The structure tapers toward the top, capped by a flat roof. Its four walls are supported by sweeping buttresses. In a regular pattern, menacing gargoyles spot the walls.

Interior

The inside of the Mithar home is modest for a building so grand. While the family's wealth if evident, it's never showy or gaudy. It's orderly and kept strictly tidy at all times, looking only properly lived in for moments at a time.

The first and largest floor is the main hub of activity in the keep. From the large main entrance hall, the kitchen can be found to the right, the living room to the left, and a grand spiral staircase leading upward. Otherwise a small room can be found off the living room, for guests who need to stay a night.

The second floor has two locations of note. One is Cessie's laboratory. Here she practices her magic, safely sealed away for the safety of the other residents of the keep. Attached is a small room where Cessie can store the materials for her work. The other is a recreational room, most frequently used by her children at play. Otherwise there are a number of smaller rooms with no dedicated purpose.

The third floor is where the family sleeps. A large master bedroom occupies much of the back of the tower. Aside from the obvious, the room has an expansive walk in closet. There are two other rooms used by the children. Cora an Bastion share a room, and Jillian takes the last.

The fourth and final floor, aside from the open roof above, houses Cessie's expansive library. Row upon row of books on topics ranging from history to arcana to folklore can be found here. There are quiet alcoves for peaceful reading, as well as a large central table used for study.

The keep also has a large basement, primarily used for storage. It has has some entrances to tunnels beneath the keep, a few of which lead out to some nearby natural caverns.

Exterior

Off the cobble path to the keep, trees, shrubbery, flowers, and greenery of all kind are in abundance. They're all very carefully maintained by skilled gardeners with barely a leaf out of place. There is an abundance of space to move around, paths to stroll down on sunny days, and shady, quiet spots.

Off toward the back of the keep can be found Cessie’s greenhouse, full of plants more specific to her studies. Alongside that is an expansive garden of vegetables and fruits. Only this part of the courtyard seems a touch overgrown.

The two structures that were once the forge and armoury are more like sheds for various tools and other items to be kept out of the weather. Neither have been used for their intended purpose in a long time.

Inhabitants

The Mithars
    The Mithar family, Cessie and her children Cora, Bastion, and Jillian, call the keep home. They are the only true permanent residents of the keep.

Elementals and Constructs
    Cessie has summoned and created a number of elemental beings. They serve two broad purposes. A number of them assist in maintaining the home, performing small cleaning and other tasks. Others, including the gargoyles dotting the tower, are there for security. Garn is a large, adamantium gargoyle of particular note. He’s often found supervising the children, greeting guests, and other tasks.

Staff
    While a lot of small tasks can be handled by Cessie’s elementals, upkeeping such a large home requires some staff. While none of them stay in the keep, they can be found there at different times every day. There most often is the cook who’s often found in the kitchen. Once a day a small team of gardeners come and tend to the courtyard.

Frescot Estate

At the end of a winding road through the countryside, bordering a stretch of forest, can be found the Frescot Estate. The grounds leading up to the house are filled with life, greenery and the sounds of nature everywhere. The house itself peeks through the trees, it’s white stone exterior concealed by leafy vines creeping up the walls. On each floor, the first, second, and attic, have three large windows on the front. A garage door breaks the symmetry off to the left side.

Interior *

The inside of the Frescot estate is cozy and warm feeling. It’s open and airy, with tall ceilings and huge windows to let the sun in. Above all the home feels lived in with clutter and noise. The walls are painted a variety of pleasing colours, and house plants can be found in every corner and climbing up the walls.

The first floor is the main gathering area of the family. A long hall passes the guest bedroom and the study on the right, and the first gathering space, a cozy living room on the left. There’s an entrance to the garage here, where Adir’s truck is usually found, though there’s plenty of work space in here as well. At the end of the hall the house opened up. The kitchen, dining room, and another gathering space are all in one large room. Glass doors lead out to a covered patio in the back.

The second can be found up a staircase from the hallway below. Primarily this is where most of the family sleeps in the house's many bedrooms. There's a play area at the top of the stairs. The master bedroom and the bedroom where the smallest Frescots sleep lie to the left while the rest can be found down the hall to the right.

Following the right hall leads to a storage room with an entrance to the attic. This space isn’t quite as tall as the others, a little more tight below the exposed beams of the roof. The space is only partially finished and acts as less convenient storage.

Exterior

On the right side of the house on the approach is an extensive garden. There are no neat, orderly rows to find here, but the plants grow large and healthy. The grounds around the the house are a place begging to be explored. The greenery has an abundance of small paths to wander along. There are only a few open spaces, including the largest open area directly behind the house. A number of ponds are scattered here and there with a stream connecting them.

Inhabitants

The Frescots
    The abundantly large Frescot family lives here. Including Sakura and Adir, and all their children. Laela, Cern, Gwydion, Russell, Lucy, Laurana, Cassie, Kissa, Malachi, and Finian. Often Sakura’s father, the treant Sarget, can be found near the house.

Staff
    The family has hired Calanthe on as a nanny and general helper to keep the household in order. She lives on site in the former guest bedroom.

Archive
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding
    Mithar Keep & Frescot House IV: Magic babble lies within
    Mithar Keep III: Girls gone Modest
    Mithar Keep II: Electric Boobaloo
    The Frescot House
    Mithar Keep

This thread is managed by Gullara. I will create the new thread when this one reached 50 pages. Please contact me for updates to the OP.

Thinking about roleplaying in the Nexus? Come say hi in our Discord!
    Last edited by Gullara; 2022-07-26 at 08:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

The Interview

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Interview]

All the attention only causes Finian to produce more happy noises. He wriggles in mom's arms.

Once they're upstairs, the ladies can detect a little hint of annoyance from Adir as he lets out a breath through his nose. He's looking at the piled toys. These darn kids, his face says. That thought is promptly interrupted by Kissa. Again, his face is lit with joy. It's easy to tell he could just about forgive the kids for anything.

"Okay, honey! Easy now," he lowers her to the floor so she can toddle ahead. If Calanthe wants to follow the kid, the stag is happy to let them take the lead. He slides his hands into his pockets again and steps up to brush against Sakura's side, glancing down at the dryad. His eyes seem to ask what her impressions of Calanthe are so far.

There are almost certainly toys of all sorts scattered around the room. In particular there's a large plastic car, of the sort the kids can ride in. It's sporting quite a few large dents and telling scratches...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [The Interview]

The most prominent type of toy are plush toys, mostly various animals. There also some constructive toys, like a bin of blocks, which have actually been put away except for a small tower. On a shelf there's a carefully placed arrangement of small toy horses.

Sakura just smiles at Adir and gives a little shrug. He'll have to wait for a proper reply. "You heard the lady. It's time for a room tour." Sakura says, followed by a giggle.

Kissa leads the way, hooking a right down the hall and then pushing a door open and disappearing inside. The adults (and Finian) follow into the bedroom. Inside is a decently large room housing two beds. Both beds are... mostly made, with Sakura having encouraged the kids to do it themselves this morning, even knowing the results would be imperfect. Kissa climbs up onto her bed and sits on the edge. "This is my room!" She holds her arms out wide. "And Malachi's room. He's my brother." She adds.

Adir's reaction certainly joins the info getting catalogued in Calanthe's brain as she notes the dichotomy of interests in the toys on display. Lots of love for animals it seems, which isn't surprising considering the overall feeling of the family she's gotten so far.

As they enter, the rabbit makes a slight show of looking around, raising her eyebrows at the beds. If Sakura had any worries about being judged for them not being quite that well made, she might observe much the opposite - Calanthe wouldn't have expected someone as young as Kissa to have started making their bed. "It's very nice! I can see why you'd want to show me it!" She keeps an eye out for any details she can comment on or use as a means of further elaboration. Something to talk about, like a painting or a stuffed animal.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Visiting Alchemist]

"Can't your dad take those out of the garage?" Cessie suggests. "I'm sure he does occasionally. In fact, perhaps you'd like some tools for your birthday? Or maybe even as a midsummer gift?" Midsummer, as in the middle of june, was celebrated in Hestopia. Sometimes even with gifts. Cessie had a habit of giving small gifts to the children during this holiday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Visiting Alchemist]

Dorota has a sneaking suspicion that given tools, Lucy is going to take apart something she shouldn't. But it's really not her place to voice those concerns.

"It's good to learn about tools early if you want to drive a car. Can't drive a car if you can't take care of it properly." She does her best to accentuate the positive.
    [Visiting Alchemist]

Lucy sighs. So many hoops to jump through! "Yeah, I need tools for my cars." The girl agrees readily. "Oh! Will you get me tools for a present, auntie?" She looks up at Cessie with pleading eyes.

4. - Top - End - #4

[Visiting Alchemist]

Cessie rubs her chin thoughtfully. "What kind of tools do you need, Lucy?" She unfourtunately didn't know a lot about car tools.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Interview]

Adir follows the women and the tyke into the room belonging to the newest twins. The stag seems pleased that they're at least trying to keep it neat. "Where is your brother anyway, Kissa? I'd like it if Calanthe could meet him too."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Interview]

"He's outside with grampa." The girl explains. That's where all the kids were supposed to be right now, but she was being clingy to mommy it seems. "Maybe he's out the window." Kissa stands up on her bed and walks over to lean on the windowsill. "I think I see some of them." She full on leans against the glass to get a proper angle to look toward the back of the house.

As for the room, it'll be impossible to miss the dinosaurs. There's a whole variety hour of plastic dinosaurs lining the shelf above her bed. They seems pretty uniform, which might mean they're all from the same source. Outside that not much stands out as particularly noteworthy. There's some stuffed animals on the beds, of course, but most toys appear to live outside the bedrooms. There is a small plastic tote on the floor at the foot of what must be Malachi's bed, though.

7. - Top - End - #7

The Interview

"Oh, your Grandpa?" Calanthe moves to peer over Kissa's shoulder out of curiosity, glancing over at the plastic tote on her way over.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

8. - Top - End - #8

[The Interview]

While Calanthe investigates one oddity of the Frescot house, yet another one begins to slowly emerge from inside the plastic tote. It seems Mr. Chewie Chompers has climbed in there again for a nap. The giant mole rat prefers dark, confined spaces for just this reason. He wriggles past the lid with the sluggishness of a hibernating bear and flops to the floor. Adir smiles when he sees the animal, but doesn't elect to say anything, letting the creature crawl out and waddle toward Calanthe in his ponderous way.

When she's finished at the window, she might be bothered by something sniffing at the hem of her dress. A pale, blobby little creature with dark button eyes and enormous buck teeth. Maybe Sakura will warn her? Adir is mischievously silent.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Interview]

It's hard for Calanthe to get a good look at this angle, given the window is at the side of the house. She can spy the brightly coloured heads of the other kids running about, though. They're playing some sort of game, that's for sure. "I can't see him." Kissa grunts with the strain.

Sakura tuts under her breathe when she sees David emerge. He's got a way of causing trouble. Hopefully he never damaged anything while he was in there. She doesn't given Calanthe any sort of warning, but the burbling cry Finian makes when he sees the beloved family pet might catch her attention.

10. - Top - End - #10

The Interview

"Don't worry about it, I'm sure I'll get to meet him soon enough." Her ears flick as she hears the subtle sounds of warning Sakura and Finian manage to provide, although it's not quite enough to prepare her.

"Ah!" Calanthe jumps a bit when she looks down at David but recovers her composure quickly. "Um, hi, you certainly snuck up on me!" She's not really used to animals like him, but certainly trying her best to be friendly.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

[The Interview]

"Ah, yes, here's Malachi. Sleeping in his toy box, like normal," Adir steps forward, crouches, and rubs the molerat's flanks. David utters a squeak and wriggles his stubby forelimbs as the stag picks him up. Adir holds their pudgy pet up next to his face, grinning and sticking out his front teeth. "See the resemblance?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Interview]

Sakura tsks and shakes her head, an amused smile on her lips. Calanthe's gonna have to get used to this.

"Hi Chewy!" Kissa turns and shuffles over to the edge of her bed so she can lean over toward David.

13. - Top - End - #13

The Interview

The woman seems to recover fully as Adir commandeers the rodent, responding with a light little chuckle as he squirms about. "I'm not sure I want to follow that line of thinking," she remarks - before adding, a bit more seriously, "I... will admit I'm much more versed in childcare than I am in pets."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Visiting Alchemist]

Cessie rubs her chin thoughtfully. "What kind of tools do you need, Lucy?" She unfourtunately didn't know a lot about car tools.
    [Visiting Alchemist]

"Um... a ratchet! And sockets! It's for changing tires. It's the one that goes ch-ch-ch-ch-ch when you turn it." Lucy explains with an accompanying motion. Cessie probably still doesn't know what she's referring to, but she has a name.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2021-05-24 at 05:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

[Visiting Alchemist]

Cessie raises an eyebrow, she had no idea Lucy's intrerest extended this far at such an early age. But then again, she had probably learned the names of everything she was interested in back when she was Lucy's age. "We'll see then, Lucy. If you behave good enough you might just find those tools laying by the midsummer stand." The sorceress promises.

16. - Top - End - #16

[The Interview]

"Yeah, Malachi's from her previous marriage," Adir 'whispers', forking a thumb at his wife. "Her taste in men has drastically improved, as you can see."

Calanthe's more serious comment finally stops Adir's jokes too. "Oh, gods, for sure," he adds with a grimace, shifting Chewy to place him on the bed beside Kissa. The pudgy boy-rat runs a little half circle around Kissa. "We don't want you here to look after pets, don't worry. You can leave this big lug to us. Sakura and the kids? An animal's best friends."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Interview]

Kissa giggles and plops down onto the bed. She half comes down atop Chewy, trying to pin him with a hug.

Sakura gives Adir's side a little nudge with her elbow. The price of his humour! "Yeah, we really don't expect too much more than things that help with the kids. That's what was in the job description." She adds. She really doesn't want to start being too demanding of what they expect from Calanthe.

[Visiting Alchemist]

Lucy's eyes light up. "I'll be the goodest girl!" She promises.

18. - Top - End - #18

[Visiting Alchemist]

"That's what I like to hear, Lucy. Cessie smiles. "But I think Cora is trying to make everyone get back to the game so if you want to join in you better hurry now." She gestures at the other kids at the football field.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Oh yeah! We can't let Cora win! Bye bye!" Lucy waves to the assembled adults and immediately runs off to join the other kids.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Goodbye, Lucy." That was a more positive experience than Dorota usually has with kids. Odd. "She's an energetic little girl, isn't she? More so than little girls are to begin with." She pauses, remembering her own youth. "Most little girls."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #21

[Visiting Alchemist]

Cessie looks after Lucy, weren't they playing in teams or had the other kinds joined together against the force that was her oldest daughter? Either way, she suspected Cora would take that as a compliment.
    "Most children in general I'd say." Cessie muses. "Boundless energy contained within tiny little frames." She let's out a laugh and turns to Ambrosia.

"Do you have children, lady Ithil?"

The scholar gets up on her feet as she replies. "As a matter of fact, I do have a son. Haven't seen him in quite a while though."

"Ah, I imagine it must be difficult managing that and your scholarly endavors then?"

"Something like that, but speaking of which..." She turns to Dorota. "You came here with a scholarly endavor, did you not?"

22. - Top - End - #22

The Interview

"You seem to have been part of that taste before 'Malachi' came about, you do realize," Calanthe responds lightly, moving to give Kissa and Chewy some room to horse around. She looks a little curious. "Are there other pets your kids take care of, or is Chewy exclusive?" It's good to know, especially if she'll have to remind the babs to feed them from time to time.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2021-05-29 at 06:09 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Not exactly. I came to visit Cessie and my current research into divinity simply came up," Dorota explains. "She told me you pursue the same kind of research yourself. I can't say I've had much success so far, but I've learned a lot nonetheless."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

24. - Top - End - #24

[The Interview]

"Oh my gods! She's right! And that means..." Adir looks at Sakura in horror. The nudge he may receive, but it hasn't put a lid on him just yet. "Sakura! How could you!"

Chewie rolls over... and is pinned, hugged by the little Frescot! He squeaks in surprise, then just sort of settles in place, making comfortable chittering sounds.

"Seriously though, it's just Chewie right now. And between the whole horde they take pretty good care of him. Maybe even feed him a little too often, hm? Hm?" He punctuates this with a couple pokes to Chewie's round belly.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #25

[Visiting Alchemist]

"That's one way to put it." Ambrosia remarks with a glance at Cessie. "Depends on what you include in that divinity research of yours. What exactly are you researching?"

Cessie glances at Dorota, she was quite curious about this too.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"It started with trying to find out if the gods I was raised to worship were ever real." Dorota segues into an explanation she has done to quite a few people before. "It... began to bother me in a strange way at some point recently. So far the results have been inconclusive. It doesn't help that their own priests say these gods are dead and it's our fault. But I've expanded my research onto other gods. Starting with what defines a 'god' to begin with. And I've spoken to some deities and half-deities."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    The Interview

"You seem to have been part of that taste before 'Malachi' came about, you do realize," Calanthe responds lightly, moving to give Kissa and Chewy some room to horse around. She looks a little curious. "Are there other pets your kids take care of, or is Chewy exclusive?" It's good to know, especially if she'll have to remind the babs to feed them from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Interview]

"Oh my gods! She's right! And that means..." Adir looks at Sakura in horror. The nudge he may receive, but it hasn't put a lid on him just yet. "Sakura! How could you!"

Chewie rolls over... and is pinned, hugged by the little Frescot! He squeaks in surprise, then just sort of settles in place, making comfortable chittering sounds.

"Seriously though, it's just Chewie right now. And between the whole horde they take pretty good care of him. Maybe even feed him a little too often, hm? Hm?" He punctuates this with a couple pokes to Chewie's round belly.
    [The Interview]

"He's hungry!" Kissa exclaims.

Sakura giggles at her husband's antics. "Yeah just him for now. Though I think the kids have been getting ideas ever since we got him. I've been hearing rumblings."

28. - Top - End - #28

[Visiting Alchemist]

Ambrosia nods and is about to reply when Cessie interjects.

"Why don't we all take a seat before you start?" She remarks, gesturing at the nearby outdoor table and chairs. Notebly not of the garden variety. You didn't find much made of plastic inside the keep's walls.

The sorceress walks over there and now points to the gargoyle who have been standing by all this time just waiting. "Garn can bring out some refreshments, do you prefer tea, coffee or just water, Dorota?" Cessie turns to her for a moment.

"Water for me please, Lady Mithar." The scholar replies with a raised hand. Then slowly sitting down in the chair. Despite how easily she could move in that armor sitting down was still something of a process.

But as she managed to take her seat she doesn't waste any time continuing where they left off. She gives Dorota a curious look and smiles. "Sounds too me you're looking for an objective answer to a subjective question, Dorota. So let me ask you a question in turn, what sort of traits do you associate with divinity? Did any of these people you spoke to feel like actual gods to you?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-06-01 at 07:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Tea, please," Dorota says. Then she considers Ambrosia's question for a while. "I suppose I associate it with control. Gods are meant to exert control over the world. They represent order. But that might be just my upbringing speaking. Of those I've spoken to... Felandria, the leader of HALO, hardly comes across this way. She's powerful, but no more so than heroes and adventurers. She's a half-goddess, Zeus' daughter. You might have heard of him. Civiron, a goddess of hope, was very pleasant and helpful, but I'm not sure how divine she felt to me. Message might have been the closest. I didn't see them, just spoke to them through an altar. But Message also used to be a mortal, whereas Civiron said she had simply emerged into existence."

30. - Top - End - #30

[Visiting Alchemist]

As Dorota considers the question Cessie fills the silence by answering the question as well. "For me, I don't feel like I'd define any of the beings I've spoken to, like Felandria for instance, as divine the way I understand the term." She gestures to Dorota. "No offense meant to your leader of course as I doubt she could have lead HALO if she had been divine the way I understand it. Gods to me are paragons, not champions. They personify ideals but they don't enforce them."

Meanwhile, Garn goes to get their orders.

Once Dorota have replied Ambrosia nods. "It's a common association, Dorota. People often like to ascribe agency to things that happened to them, wherever they are gods or demons. Somehow the world seems more safer if everything isn't just random happenstance. By having something or someone controlling it we feel more in control ourselves.

Thus gods, may they be evil or good, seem to fulfill a deep-seated desire in humans and other intelligent beings. But I believe you feel that the people you've spoken to are not in control enough to fulfill this criteria. They don't influenced your life on the level you might feel a god should. After all, why else would people worship them if they aren't influencing their lives in any way?"

Ambrosia gestures at the alchemist. "Perhaps that's why you're looking for your own gods specifically. Even if they're dead they still bear more responsibility for the way your life turned out more than any of the gods within the nexus." She pauses for a moment as if to let all that sink in. "Do you feel there's any truth to any to that? I'm doing a lot of speculating of course."