New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Excellent work, Cora." Wenomir's voice and expression are filled with warm pride. "I knew you could do it. Now go and tackle the other challenges. If you keep my teaching in mind I'm sure you'll crush them."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"I will!" Cora assures him readily. She immediately turns and runs off to conquer the other challenges.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullara View Post
    [Out For A Hike]

The girls nod knowingly at Calanthe's warning. Both their mom and dad have told them many times to only eat things in the woods that they're told are good to eat.

At the next assertion, though, Laurana has something to say to that. "Mommy could grow them in her garden." She asserts. Sakura puts her hand over her lips to stifle a laugh. She wonders how Calanthe will reply to that.

Out For a Hike

Calanthe raises her eyebrows at that, clearly entertained. "Well, I'm not so sure about that, but if she really wants to, I imagine I could lend a hand." She smiles. Fungi function very differently from plant life, so raising them can get a little... complex."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #214

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Lucy-goosey, I gotta remember that one." Anika comments with a giggle before looking down at the black stones, raising an eyebrow.
    Then she suddenly seem to recall something. "Oh right! Wait here a moment Lucy, I need to get something!"

And Anika disappears out the door for a few minutes before returning, now seemingly hiding something behind her back.

"Alright, Lucy, let's do this then. Are you brave enough to reach your hand into the jar of snakes?" Anika inquires as she takes out what she had been hiding behind her back.

It's a token shaped like a duck.

But it's in gold. Or at least gold-colored.

"Since you're actually getting a special prize if you do." She drops the token down into the jar and the snakes move around it in a peculiar way, making it quickly disappear.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

[Out For A Hike]

The kids turn to their mom to see what she has to say. She smiles sweetly down at them. "I'm not sure, I've never tried. But we don't need to when we can forage them, isn't that right, Calanthe?" She turns her eyes up to the nanny.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Oh, uh," Lucy looks at the jar, eyes agog, a little concerned and a little excited. They're just little snakeys... they wouldn't bite her... right? Scary! But... fun! "W-what's the prize?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #217

[Midsummer's Eve]

"I think you have to ask C-command about that. She's your aunt or something, right?" Cessie did ask Lucy what she wanted this midsummer and above all else she wanted tools. Specifically a wrench. Could that be what this special gift is about?

"So, do you think you're brave enough, Lucy-Goosey?" Anika raises her extremely long eyebrows.

8. - Top - End - #218

[Midsummer's Eve]

"C-command? Do you mean Cessie?" Lucy only gets that far because she mentioned the whole 'aunt' thing.

"Um," says the little girl, eyeing the jar with considerable trepidation. She lifts her hand, gives one little pause, and then dips it into the bundle of snakes! "Ah! They're cold--" she laughs. And hopefully that's all she feels!

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #219

[Out For A Hike]

The kids turn to their mom to see what she has to say. She smiles sweetly down at them. "I'm not sure, I've never tried. But we don't need to when we can forage them, isn't that right, Calanthe?" She turns her eyes up to the nanny.
    Calanthe raises a hand to her chin. "Well, you aren't wrong now that we know of a location where we can find them, but that does not mean that wouldn't be worthwhile." She smiles down at the kids. "I love an excuse to walk through the forest as much as anyone else, but it can be nice to have easier access."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

[Out For A Hike]

"We do have lots of other things we like to grow too, though." Sakura adds. "Why don't you tell Calanthe what we grow, girls."

The kids need no more prompting by that. They start to antter off their own overlapping list of fruits and vegetables. It'll be tough for Calanthe to get a word in for a short bit. Sakura covers her mouth to stifle a giggle.

11. - Top - End - #221

[Out For A Hike]

"We do have lots of other things we like to grow too, though." Sakura adds. "Why don't you tell Calanthe what we grow, girls."

The kids need no more prompting by that. They start to antter off their own overlapping list of fruits and vegetables. It'll be tough for Calanthe to get a word in for a short bit. Sakura covers her mouth to stifle a giggle.
    Out For A Hike

Calanthe grins and chuckles as the kids tell her all about the cornucopia the Frescot Garden produces, thoroughly entertained by the unfettered joy they show about it. "My my, it sounds like you do not need my help in having a bountiful harvest these days. Unless your mom would like yet another hand working in the garden?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

[Out For A Hike]

"I think if we got you in the garden you'd be overworked." Sakura laughs. Calanthe has definitely seen more of Sakura's garden by now, and it's quite extensive at this point. It's remarkable that Sakura maintains that while also having all these kids running about. "But if you have free time, feel free to join me if I'm there. I'd appreciate the company."

Meanwhile the kids are quite impatient to get going again, and the adults are forced to follow along.

Eventually they loop back around to the house again. Sakura prompts the girls to thank Calanthe for walking with them, which they do enthusiastically before clamouring inside. "They really like you." Sakura remarks as they're off.

13. - Top - End - #223

Back From A Hike

Calanthe is all too happy to return the girls' pleasantries - manners are a wonderful thing to foster. And besides, the feeling is genuine. It truly was a pleasure to be out there with them all.

"Hm, glad to hear I am making a good impression." The bunny responds with a soft smile, glancing around the porch for somewhere convenient to rest the small jar cradled beneath an arm. Calanthe had found their hike to be an excellent opportunity to collect a couple specimens of beetles, and she imagined that any air of serious conversation Sakura might be angling for would be improved by not holding a jar of them over the duration. Eventually she settles for laying it carefully down by the frame of the door.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

14. - Top - End - #224

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Yeah, that's the one." Anika remarks with a nod. "I just call her C-command though since she's the commander and all."

Anika then moves behind Lucy and kneels down besides her so she can closer to eye-level with her. "But they're not slimy, right? All dry and smooth. Kinda cuddly really." She attempts to reassure her.

The snakes don't seem to take offense to her hand's presence and will even move aside as she slowly reaches down into the little jar. The sensation of them moving against her skin might take some time getting used to though even if the snake themselves have acted harmless so far.

15. - Top - End - #225

[Midsummer's Eve]

Even kneeling, it only helps Anika get closer to Lucy's level so much. She's still comparably gigantic! "They... tickle!" Lucy giggles as the little wormy things move around her hand. She seems to have no instinctual fear of predatory animals whatsoever. She's cautious because they're strange and new, and that makes them a little scary, but it's something she can weather. Her hand paws and grasps around, and she keeps muttering 'sorry' as her hand closes around another scaly noodle and then quickly lets it go. She looks like she's concentrating intensely on finding the token.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

[Back From A Hike]

Sakura's eyes linger on the jar for a moment as Calanthe puts it down, though she doesn't make any additional comment right now.

"Oh you're making more than a good impression. The girls were captivated." Sakura giggles. "You really know how to capture their attention." She praises.

17. - Top - End - #227

Back From A Hike

"Thank you, I have had a fair bit of practice in it." The words may sound like Calanthe's brushing off the compliment, but the nanny gives Sakura a friendly smile. "My minor was actually in theatre, believe it or not."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

[Back From A Hike]

"Minor?" Sakura asks, looking a bit clueless. "That's, like, a school thing, right?" She asks with interest.

19. - Top - End - #229

Back From A Hike

"Oh, yes," Calanthe responds with a nod, fully facing Sakura now. She's a little surprised by Sakura's unfamiliarity at first, though that quickly fades - she grew up in a family where conventional schooling didn't really exist, so it wasn't that strange for her to meet someone unfamiliar with its structure. "It means that while my studies were mainly in children's education, I also took a fair amount of classes on theatre on the side."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

[Back From A Hike]

"Oh, that's interesting. I don't really know much about that sorta schooling. It wasn't really a thing where I came from... Or maybe there was something like it in the cities, but we never really went into those. They weren't really a good fit for Sarget." The dryad giggles. "But did you study that because you just liked it? Or did you do performing?"

21. - Top - End - #231

Back From A Hike

"Mm, you might be surprised - I hear certain corners of Inside have been renovating to better suit ogres and other larger folk." A beat. "Maybe not as large as Sarget, though. She smiles, folding her hands over her lap and leaning ever-so-slightly against the wall.

"I did both, but it was really mainly the latter. I participated in a couple plays the school put on, but I never sought out anything beyond that." Probably not that much of a surprise, looking at Calanthe. She didn't look quite the type to do set work. "Mostly I really enjoyed the discussion and theory of it. Styles of writing and presentation, manners of staging, even some of the philosophy about it." The thought brings a bit of amusement to Calanthe's smile. "In retrospect it's a little dry, but, I enjoyed my classes."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

[Back From A Hike]

"Aw, so you won't be putting a play on for the kids." Sakura giggles. "That sounds like it was fun, though. Sometimes I wish I'd had experiences like that. I didn't really have opportunities for that kind of thing."

23. - Top - End - #233

[Back From A Hike]

The idea seems to catch Calanthe off-guard, and she looks a little abashed. "I'm afraid not, directing and coordinating that would... well, it would not be my strong suit." Still, she manages to regain her spirits quickly, answering Sakura's next comment with a soft smile. "However, well - I cannot provide the same experience as a college class, but if you want, I could certainly dig up a few of my old books on it for you."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

[Back From A Hike]

Sakura giggles at Calanthe's reaction. "We'll just make sure the kids don't know they're missing out." She winks conspiratorially. "That seems interesting, though. I might be able to take a peek when I have some time. I do like to have something to read once in a while."

25. - Top - End - #235

Back From A Hike

"I can't promise any of it won't be somewhat dry, but - well, if that ends up being the case, I should have plenty of other books on my shelves that'll do nicely," Calanthe adds, having thought a little bit further on the matter. "Maybe you can stop by my room when you have some time and I can, er, look through them with you?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

[Back From A Hike]

"Sure, I'd love to." Sakura agrees readily. "How much stuff were you able to fit into that room? Sometimes I feel bad that you have so little space for yourself." The room isn't small by any means, but it's just one room.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

Lapis gathers up as many cushions as she can in her little arms.

Now...

She COULD just stick them in her inventory.

That would be easy.

But normal kids haven't got inventories and she already feels kind of self-conscious about grabbing the story out of that book.

Lapis isn't the sort to wish that she was just a regular kid. She knows her purpose and she wouldn't give it away for ANYTHING! She loves it!

It would be nice, though, if the world were a little more fair. She can do all these neat things and her friends can't. She doesn't want them to feel bad. Lapis had explained this before to one of the putti she met who was planning on being mean to some people; that the people in the Game are real people and they should be treated nice. The putti called her stupid for thinking that and tried to be mean anyways, so Lapis had booted him out of the Game. Mother had told her that's the right thing to do.

Their friends here are so fragile.

Lapis is to never, ever forget that.

So!

So.

She doesn't use her inventory.

She just carries the pillows for the fort in her arms. Thankfully she's pretty good at balancing things.

"Okay where do we get the pillows from next?" she asks the twins.

[Midsummer's Eve]

Pretty simple, right?

Just reach up to the sky with your hand, block the sun with your palm, and close your fingers.

Bastion and Gwydion both will feel something unmistakable. A warmth like the light of the noonday summer sun nestled in the palms of their hands. Little streamers of light shine out from between their fingers.

But that's impossible, right?

You can't just grab a fistfull of sunlight, can you?

It HAS to be magic.

It's gotta be.

Not too far away, directly toward the sun, there's a droopy looking tree with a funny brown bird sitting in it. It looks kind of like a robin, except with orange stripes instead of a belly that's all one color. It sings a single, metallic trilling tone.

Meanwhile!

Lapis has been watching this contest with interest.

Lucy got some cunning help from her father.

Cora used speed alone.

But Lapis?

Lapis knows how fast Mister Wenomir is. She knows exactly how fast Mister Wenomir is. Faster than her. Way faster. Way faster than Cora was, even. He was making Cora push herself. To get stronger. But would that really work with Lapis?

One thing Lapis learned from Mother, one very important thing, is that if you can't win the game the way you're expected to win-

-you find another way.

Lapis walks right up to Wenomir, holds out her hand, and asks, "May I have the rock please, Mister Wenomir?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-01-27 at 12:06 AM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Wenomir actually stares at Lapis for a moment, blinking. Then he smiles.

"I suppose I never said you have to take it from me by force or quickness, did I? I must commend you for out of the box thinking, Lapis."

He reaches out with the stone to give it to the girl.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #239

[Back From A Hike]

"Sure, I'd love to." Sakura agrees readily. "How much stuff were you able to fit into that room? Sometimes I feel bad that you have so little space for yourself." The room isn't small by any means, but it's just one room.
    Back From A Hike

"It's not so bad at all, although I have been meaning to ask about maybe setting up a couple shelves - it would be nice to move some of the books I have out of the box I've been storing them in." It wasn't something Calanthe couldn't do herself, of course. But the Frescot's house wasn't exactly hers, and she imagined it would be rather impolite to drill some holes into a wall without permission.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

[Back From A Hike]

"Oh, of course!" Sakura replies quickly. "Just ask for anything you need. You really shouldn't have to have your stuff all packed away." She says firmly. "I know what that's like, and I know you never feel quite settled until you get out of that situation." She thinks back in particular to when they had to fill out Cessie's home. It was quite a lot of pressure to have so many people move in so quickly.

[Mithar Sleepover]

"We can get them from Jillian's room. And mommy's room too." Cora says as she heads out of the room. Bastion purses his lips, thinking about how they're not just supposed to root around their mom's room, but that is where pillows are.

They comes into what must be Jillian's room next. Cora strides in with the entitlement of an elder sibling. There's a small bed, a little table, and an immense amount of plushies of all shapes and sizes. Jillian has many plush friends.

Cora drags the blanket off the bed, but her load is getting pretty burdensome. Some plushies that were sat on top of the bed tumble to the floor. "Get the pillows!" Bastion grabs one of them, his arms overfull.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2022-02-02 at 11:33 PM.