New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

Calanthe's Room

Calanthe's eyebrows shoot up somewhat. Less at the word "school" and more the word "mycelium". Adir might get a sense that this is a word she'd expected generally everyone to know or at some level be familiar with - although considering her own societally unusual upbringing and personal interests, that probably says a lot more about her than the Frescot's level of ignorance. She brings a hand to her chin.

"I guess you're right, a fair chunk of my magical talent would be suitable for investigative work - although I had never thought of it like that." A smile. "You don't think I chose the wrong occupation, do you?"

"As for the mushrooms, though... well, you'd be surprised." Again, there's that glimmer in her eyes. "It can vary a fair bit depending on species and families of mushroom, but generally they are fairly good at sensing out food and water, even other fungi. All of this is for nutrient and reproduction purposes, but I can turn them to sensing what food exists around them, living and dead, what resources are in the area. And sometimes when there's sporangiophores - spore carriers, I can even get a further sense of what's around them above the surface. What things may be in the area as they grow, even what might have come in contact with them.

The witch moves to help as Adir finishes their task, happy to do whatever is needed. "I must admit, insects tend to be a bit more... informational, on account of having actually developed brains and nervous systems - but they don't tend to be quite as fascinating in terms of ability and effect."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

Calanthe's Room

"Oh god, I hope not. I was just getting used to having you around," Adir's eyes goggle in momentary faux-panic.

He listens to her explanation while they finish, ears perked. He seems like he understands what she's trying to say. Though he does add... "You can talk to bugs too? Damn. Don't talk to anything that gets in here, okay? I don't feel like explaining anything embarrassing you might hear on the grapevine."

"I'm guessing sensing things through insects and fungi aren't the only things you can do though," Adir pops in the last screw and eyes his work.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

Cora catches the octopus and laughs. "Yeah perfect!" She pops the plushy down on the ground near the entrance to the fort. "Oh! I forgot to get my sword." Very uncharacteristic. She runs over to the other side of the room and retrieves her original wooden sword.

Meanwhile, Bastion comes up behind Lapis. Revealed in the toy chest are another load of stuffed animals. "Those're Jillian's too." Bastion explains. How many plushies does Jillian have???

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

Not enough.

For the girl who desires for plushies no number of plushies will ever satisfy.

"Oh these are good I'll put them in guard places!"
    Lapis says as she pulls out an armful of tiny soft effigies and begins placing them strategically around (and on) the fort.

Before long they'll have a veritable army of minions waiting!

"I wish I knew how to make things with glass like my sister Karaglen does but I think that might take just as long as making things with legos maybe even longer also what are legos?"

What.

WHAT!?

Lapis doesn't know what legos are?

This poor deprived child!

Once they have managed to repel Pirate Captain Garn Bastion will have to show her the wonders of the interlocking building blocks.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #305

Calanthe's Room

"Don't worry, I have no plans to cultivate some sort of spy network of roaches and ants through your home. It'd be positively excessive, even with the amount of children to manage." The witch gives Adir a sly smile. "This is very well done, by the way, thank you." She gestures towards the finished set of shelves, already thinking about what she plans to store there.

"There's... not much interesting to tell further there, really. Mostly stealing power and repurposing concepts when it comes to the insects and fungi. Fairly useful, and probably my best skill." Calanthe starts to unpack her books as she says this, lining them up on one of her new shelves. "I can also brew some basic potions for remedial and bolstering purposes, and know a couple methods of divination. Nothing especially fancy."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

6. - Top - End - #306

[Mithar Sleepover]

Eventually another 'invader' approaches the fort.

But this time it isn't Garn, nor is it his 'evil master'.

Instead a they can see the head of what seems to be an extremely long serpentine creature wander up the stairs and then towards their fort.
    While Lapis wouldn't recognize this, Cora and Bastion likely will. First of all it appears as if it was made out of magma which gave away it's in fact one of the elementals their mother created all the time. Secondly, if it wasn't made out of magma it would be a nearly identical copy of Long the Dragon from one of Jillian's favorite books which Cessie read to her all the time.

Long the dragon continues marching towards the fort, one step at the time. Looking just as cartoonish as he does in the book.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

The twins help Lapis set up a variety of plushies between the door and the fort. A fearsome guard!

Though Bastion is alarmed by Lapis's question. "What? You've never played with lego?" Shock! He's about to dig into that serious issue, but then their next challenge arrives.

"Dragon!" Cora warns and scampers into the fort. She beckons for Bastion and Lapis to follow her. She's staring suspiciously at the dragon as it pokes into the room. "You won't get past out guards, dragon!"

Bastion whispers to Lapis. "I think we might know who the true villain is."

8. - Top - End - #308

[Mithar Sleepover]

An indomitable phalanx of battle-hardened warriors!

Okay they might be a little squishy for battle-hardened to apply but still!

Our heroes can pretend all the same!

"I mostly play outside with the Frescots and I haven't got any toys at VIGIL," Lapis confides in Bastion shortly before A LEGENDARY FOE APPEARS!

Lapis gives a little gasp and runs back to the fort! If she gets caught out in the open she'll get got for sure!

"Is it a bigger dragon?" Lapis asks as she eyes the funny looking lava snake thing. It looks like one of Miss Cessie's constructs. Then she whispers, so their foes doesn't overhear, "We should get it with our catapult while it's busy fighting our guards."

Some of the guards may be struck by the catapult, but that is a sacrifice Lapis is willing to make.

Their catapult is, of course, throwing pillows at the dragon.

9. - Top - End - #309

[Mithar Sleepover]

The dragon doesn't reply, instead, unabashed by their threats it marches forward. It only stops before the first battleline of plushies and starts to use one of it's relatively short legs to scoot away the stuffed animals to the sides before moving in further and further towards the fort.

It seems like all their guards are useless against it!

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

"It's the longest dragon." Cora corrects. "Come on, guards! Slow it down!" Cora's encouraging words don't do much, but the dragon stopping to shuffle plushies aside certainly does slow it down.

That gives Bastion and Lapis time to launch their attack. Bastion picks up a pillow and nods to Lapis. "Fire!" He shouts and tosses his pillow at the incoming dragon.

11. - Top - End - #311

[Mithar Sleepover]

The longest dragon?

This dragon doesn't look very long to Lapis.

Or maybe its leader is the longest dragon?

Either way!

Lapis-!

Doesn't throw her pillow at the construct.

Instead?

She focuses on it briefly, tagging it in her vision and highlighting its WEAK POINT! Then she'll throw her pillow at it!

Granted, a normal pillow toss and a CRITICAL HIT! pillow toss probably aren't that different.

Not one to slouch, Lapis grabs three more of their auxiliary pillows to pass out to the twins for the next round of combat.

12. - Top - End - #312

[Calanthe's Room]

Adir lets go with a hearty laugh. Quite a thought. He nods in reply to her thanks. "No problem. If you need it, I can still get out the other standing shelf, but we'd have to put it together."

"Potions? Oh man," Adir looks around at the room. Huh. This really did not seem like the place for witchy work... "You know... did you need, like, a place to work or anything? Somewhere with a little more space?"

On the Phone

Adir rings Cessie up! He sounds serious.

"Hey, Cessie. Um... so, there's something we need to talk to you about. Sakura and I, I mean. I guess you've heard all about the trouble we had not so long ago... With Cassie. Well, we've got this changeling girl now. And I was hoping you might be able to give us some advice about her. Or you could point me to someone who might know more."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

13. - Top - End - #313

[Mithar Sleepover]

Long the Dragon is pelted with their mighty pillows. Forcing him to close his eyes and turn away as to protect himself.
    But while the thrown pillows certainly slowed him down it seems like he's ultimately unharmed.
    Such a fearsome beast!
    As soon as it looks like more pillows aren't being thrown at him he starts scooting them and whatever plushies remains guarding the fort to get to its gate which he will start to paw at unless stopped.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    On the Phone

Adir rings Cessie up! He sounds serious.

"Hey, Cessie. Um... so, there's something we need to talk to you about. Sakura and I, I mean. I guess you've heard all about the trouble we had not so long ago... With Cassie. Well, we've got this changeling girl now. And I was hoping you might be able to give us some advice about her. Or you could point me to someone who might know more."
    On the Phone

Adir being serious? That was rare and therefore concerning.

She had indeed already heard about the changeling girl though and immediately sees why he's being so serious. She had also considered it highly concerning. "Actually, Adir, can readily I admit that I've been looking for information that ever since you told me about the, ah, other Cassie. I was going to call you back on that but recent events have made things a bit more complicated. I've some important information for you, important enough that I don't want to share it over the phone and while it isn't directly related to Cassie that's certainly something we can discuss while I share it with you, okay?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-04-08 at 03:29 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314

Calanthe's Room

The rabbit woman raises her eyebrows. "Well, it would be appreciated if you're willing to provide it. It's not as if I cannot make do with just this space, of course - but, well, it is usually best practice to keep any magical experimentation outside of your living quarters." Explosions and other mishaps are always a vague concern in the business of alchemy, regardless of what materials you are working with. The process can be surprisingly tricky.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

15. - Top - End - #315

On the Phone

Adir sounds relieved, but curious. He doesn't want to make trouble for Cessie if she's already busy, but they really need help here. "What... can't discuss it over the phone?" Did she think someone had tapped her line or something? Or Adir's line? Why would anyone do something like that? This sounded like VIGIL business, so what'd it have to do with Adir and his family? "O-okay. Why don't you come over here as soon as you get a chance and we can chat all about it?"

[Calanthe's Room]

"Well, for both our sakes, don't go mixing any potions in here," Adir says, his smile jesting. "We've got an old shed out back we mostly don't use. It's in good shape, and I've already got all the space I need in the garage. It's got power, running water, and some storage space. It's not small, either. I want you to take it over."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #316

On the Phone

"It's business concerning, well, Ambrosia who I believe is the right person to talk to regarding the changeling. I just figure that it would be rude to do it without her present." Cessie attempts to explain. "She's usually the person I turn to regarding spirit-related matters, that's all. Nothing to really be too concerned about Adir. Simply a matter of politeness and making sure you're updated on some matters."

If that will be all, a meeting can be scheduled for Cessie, the Frescots and Ambrosia to meet in their manor.

Since Cessie would prefer not any children being present at the meeting they're going to have it take place when they all have been put to sleep.
    Therefore she and Ambrosia will arrive at the Frescot house somewhere in the later portion of the evening.

Cessie hangs off her coat once they're let inside while Ambrosia remains by the door. Not looking particularly happy being there.

"The weather have been simply dreadful as of late, don't you think?" Cessie remarks to the dryad who presumably have come to see them in.

17. - Top - End - #317

Mithar Keep - Matters of Steel

It's fairly late in the morning as Fidelia Stahl walks down the cobblestone path to the Keep, emerging from the canopy around it to the expansive courtyard before the structure. She can't help but feel a little thankful to the gardeners and other staff that maintain the gorgeous flowers and lush greenery alongside the pathway - the walk in from the station always seems to help relax and ease her troubles before her training with Cessie, and there were some days where she needed to clear her head from current events in the chaotic city of Skyside.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover]

The longest dragon?

This dragon doesn't look very long to Lapis.

Or maybe its leader is the longest dragon?

Either way!

Lapis-!

Doesn't throw her pillow at the construct.

Instead?

She focuses on it briefly, tagging it in her vision and highlighting its WEAK POINT! Then she'll throw her pillow at it!

Granted, a normal pillow toss and a CRITICAL HIT! pillow toss probably aren't that different.

Not one to slouch, Lapis grabs three more of their auxiliary pillows to pass out to the twins for the next round of combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover]

Long the Dragon is pelted with their mighty pillows. Forcing him to close his eyes and turn away as to protect himself.
    But while the thrown pillows certainly slowed him down it seems like he's ultimately unharmed.
    Such a fearsome beast!
    As soon as it looks like more pillows aren't being thrown at him he starts scooting them and whatever plushies remains guarding the fort to get to its gate which he will start to paw at unless stopped.
    [Mithar Sleepover]

Cora gives her second pillow a huck at the dragon and then readies her sword. She steps out in front of her foe and points her sword. "Stand back, dragon! You can't defeat our fort!" She declares.

Bastion keeps his pillow in hand, ready to wield it like a club.

On the Phone

"It's business concerning, well, Ambrosia who I believe is the right person to talk to regarding the changeling. I just figure that it would be rude to do it without her present." Cessie attempts to explain. "She's usually the person I turn to regarding spirit-related matters, that's all. Nothing to really be too concerned about Adir. Simply a matter of politeness and making sure you're updated on some matters."

If that will be all, a meeting can be scheduled for Cessie, the Frescots and Ambrosia to meet in their manor.

Since Cessie would prefer not any children being present at the meeting they're going to have it take place when they all have been put to sleep.
    Therefore she and Ambrosia will arrive at the Frescot house somewhere in the later portion of the evening.

Cessie hangs off her coat once they're let inside while Ambrosia remains by the door. Not looking particularly happy being there.

"The weather have been simply dreadful as of late, don't you think?" Cessie remarks to the dryad who presumably have come to see them in.
    [Off the Phone]

Sakura has indeed come to meet them. The dryad waits for them to take their jackets and shoes off before leading the way toward the kitchen dining room. "Oh a bit. Kinda cold." Sakura remarks, though Cessie knows she's far more tolerant of bad weather than most people are. "How are you two?" She asks, mostly toward Ambrosia. Sakura saw Cessie just the other day after all.

19. - Top - End - #319

Off the Phone

As the pair of visitors relinquish their coats, the guest room door down the hall creaks open, and an almond-skinned woman with white rabbit's ears leans out from the frame.

"Oh! Er, hello." Calanthe gives Cessie and Ambrosia a gentle smile and steps back to let the three women pass. She's dressed down a little at the moment in a simple blouse and long skirt, a long with a pair of short black gloves that she pulls off and slips into her pocket. The room behind her smells distinctively of rose incense.

- - - Updated - - -

Calanthe's Room

Calanthe's eyes brighten. "Really? Er, thank you, I'd be delighted!" She smiles. "I'll be sure to give it a look later today. Maybe set up a couple protective wards as well, just to be safe." A beat. "Not that I intend to create anything volatile and dangerous, of course! Just, well, one can never take too many precautions."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

20. - Top - End - #320

[Mithar Sleepover]

Lapis isn't allowed to draw her sword.

And she wasn't allowed to bring her regular Thanksmas sword, either.

BUT!

Lapis brought something almost maybe just as good kind of!

She reaches into her backpack and pulls out the ABSOLUTELY SILLY buster sword her Mother made for her Spooktober costume!

Hopefully Cora doesn't find the 'weapon' too exasperating.

It isn't wood, at least. It's a plastic core to give it shape with a foam 'blade' around it. Perfectly designed for walloping things without actually causing any harm.

Now with 'sword' in hand Lapis takes up position defending the fort with her friends!

"Should we fight it?" Lapis asks, uncertain if a simple show of force and resolve will be sufficient to turn back this foe.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

[Mithar Keep - Matters of Steel]

It seems Fidelia isn't the only person here to train. As she approaches, she'll hear a voice from the courtyard - but not Cessie's or any of her children. It's the other of her commanders, giving someone rapid instructions. Sounds of clashing training weapons are also heard.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #322

Striking and clashing? Fidelia jolts somewhat. Her first instinct is to assume the worst - that there's some kind of fight going on ahead, and her hand moves immediately to the knife always at her belt. But the sound of constant instructions is enough for her sense of alarm to quiet down as she realizes what the actual scenario ahead might be. She does still quicken her pace to a brisk walk, however.

It doesn't take long for Fidelia to emerge into the courtyard. She's dressed a little light for the crisp, windy spring air, a comfy sweater thrown on alongside some stockings, a short skirt and no jacket of any kind. Which isn't a surprise - Fidelia only really seems to bundle up beyond this in the wintertime once temperatures plummet. She looks around to spot whatever all the fuss is about.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #323

Off the Phone

Adir is actually busy making something in the kitchen when the two ladies arrive. Depending on what Cessie might have agreed to, he could be cooking them all dinner, or it could be something a little on the lighter side.

He looks up when he hears the door, ears perked. He really hopes that Ambrosia and Cessie can give them some good news.

Calanthe's Room

"Sure, sure, just in case," Adir gives her a wink. He crosses his considerable arms, smiling at the rabbit. "There was one other thing. Me and Sakura have really been appreciating all the trouble you've gone to looking after the kids. You've been a godsend since you got here, seriously. So, we were sorta hoping you'd let us take you out to eat. Somewhere nice. Get a little break from pandemonium here."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2022-04-13 at 05:22 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #324

[Mithar Sleepover]

This show of force actually makes the dragon stop in its tracks.
    It looks between the three and then opens its mouth and breathes a big white puff of smoke at them. How rude!

Off the Phone

Ambrosia did not wear a coat. Either that or she's wearing something much warmer than usual underneath that armor of hers which just seems inconvenient considering that she's not even removing it as she's entering.

"If it's bad enough to keep the kids indoors it's more than just a bit cold." Cessie remarks with a smile.
    Then she turns to Ambrosia as she realizes that the question was meant more for her.

"I'm fine despite the circumstances. Part of the reason why we're here actually." Ambrosia and Cessie exchange glances.

"But how are you and the children? It was a while since I saw them. I heard there was some recent trouble but Lady Mithar never went into details."

Cessie, meanwhile, have noticed that she's being greeted by... Calanthe? That was her name, right?
    "Ah, greetings." She responds, not really sure how to react to this. Servants were usually paid to try to make themselves invisible when guests arrived unless they specifically were in charge of such things.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-04-15 at 01:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

The fuss is evident once Fidelia makes it to the courtyard. It seems a training space has been set up there. A number of barriers, mostly made of chairs, pillows and blankets. Have been set up. Between them, Wenomir is sparring against Cora. The exercise seems to consist of Wenomir going on the offensive against his student, who has to defend herself but also not let herself be backed up against one of the barriers. She needs to stay aware of her surroundings and navigate between them.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post

Striking and clashing? Fidelia jolts somewhat. Her first instinct is to assume the worst - that there's some kind of fight going on ahead, and her hand moves immediately to the knife always at her belt. But the sound of constant instructions is enough for her sense of alarm to quiet down as she realizes what the actual scenario ahead might be. She does still quicken her pace to a brisk walk, however.

It doesn't take long for Fidelia to emerge into the courtyard. She's dressed a little light for the crisp, windy spring air, a comfy sweater thrown on alongside some stockings, a short skirt and no jacket of any kind. Which isn't a surprise - Fidelia only really seems to bundle up beyond this in the wintertime once temperatures plummet. She looks around to spot whatever all the fuss is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

The fuss is evident once Fidelia makes it to the courtyard. It seems a training space has been set up there. A number of barriers, mostly made of chairs, pillows and blankets. Have been set up. Between them, Wenomir is sparring against Cora. The exercise seems to consist of Wenomir going on the offensive against his student, who has to defend herself but also not let herself be backed up against one of the barriers. She needs to stay aware of her surroundings and navigate between them.

Cora is deeply focused on her task. She moves her training sword to intercept Wenomir's swings while retreating with deliberate steps backward. She's doing pretty good as Fidelia watches; her footing is sure and she's not panicking. A moment later, though, she missteps and her heel steps back into one of the barriers. "Ah-" She stumbles as Wenomir now ends up closer than she expected him to be. She shifts unsteadily to angle her body to continue her retreat, but her guard is wide open for a clear moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover]

Lapis isn't allowed to draw her sword.

And she wasn't allowed to bring her regular Thanksmas sword, either.

BUT!

Lapis brought something almost maybe just as good kind of!

She reaches into her backpack and pulls out the ABSOLUTELY SILLY buster sword her Mother made for her Spooktober costume!

Hopefully Cora doesn't find the 'weapon' too exasperating.

It isn't wood, at least. It's a plastic core to give it shape with a foam 'blade' around it. Perfectly designed for walloping things without actually causing any harm.

Now with 'sword' in hand Lapis takes up position defending the fort with her friends!

"Should we fight it?" Lapis asks, uncertain if a simple show of force and resolve will be sufficient to turn back this foe.
    [Mithar Sleepover]

This show of force actually makes the dragon stop in its tracks.
    It looks between the three and then opens its mouth and breathes a big white puff of smoke at them. How rude!
    [Mithar Sleepover]

The most perturbed face you can imagine crosses Cora's face whens he sees the so called 'sword'. There's a thousand things she wants to say, but no time for any of them. "Yeah! Att-" She's interrupted by the smoke. Oh no, she can't see! She moves her sword into an overhead guard and steps back.

Bastion, meanwhile, is a quick thinker. He spreads his wings wide and gives them a few mighty flaps. The rush of air blows the smoke back toward the dragon, clearing the air around the girls. Now's their chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Off the Phone

As the pair of visitors relinquish their coats, the guest room door down the hall creaks open, and an almond-skinned woman with white rabbit's ears leans out from the frame.

"Oh! Er, hello." Calanthe gives Cessie and Ambrosia a gentle smile and steps back to let the three women pass. She's dressed down a little at the moment in a simple blouse and long skirt, a long with a pair of short black gloves that she pulls off and slips into her pocket. The room behind her smells distinctively of rose incense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    Off the Phone

Adir is actually busy making something in the kitchen when the two ladies arrive. Depending on what Cessie might have agreed to, he could be cooking them all dinner, or it could be something a little on the lighter side.

He looks up when he hears the door, ears perked. He really hopes that Ambrosia and Cessie can give them some good news.
    Off the Phone

Ambrosia did not wear a coat. Either that or she's wearing something much warmer than usual underneath that armor of hers which just seems inconvenient considering that she's not even removing it as she's entering.

"If it's bad enough to keep the kids indoors it's more than just a bit cold." Cessie remarks with a smile.
    Then she turns to Ambrosia as she realizes that the question was meant more for her.

"I'm fine despite the circumstances. Part of the reason why we're here actually." Ambrosia and Cessie exchange glances.

"But how are you and the children? It was a while since I saw them. I heard there was some recent trouble but Lady Mithar never went into details."

Cessie, meanwhile, have noticed that she's being greeted by... Calanthe? That was her name, right?
    "Ah, greetings." She responds, not really sure how to react to this. Servants were usually paid to try to make themselves invisible when guests arrived unless they specifically were in charge of such things.
    [Off the Phone]

"Oh!" Sakura turns back to see Calanthe's appeared. "Oh, I th- Never mind. Cessie, you never got to meet Calanthe yet." Darn, this is such an inconvenient time with everything else going on. "Sorry, with everything else going on I forgot you hadn't been introduced yet." The dryad says quickly.

27. - Top - End - #327

Calanthe's Room

The witch's eyes widen a little. "Wow, I- er, are you sure? I- I'd be honored, though don't know if I have a dress nice enough in the closet for something like that. Still, it would be nice to go out with both of you. I don't think I've been to a nice restaurant in... well, quite a while." There's a faint hue of a blush in Calanthe's cheeks. She's a little embarrassed by having such kind attention heaped on her like this, frankly - it's not really a feeling she's particularly used to.

Off the Phone

"I... apologize, I hadn't meant to interrupt." Calanthe hesitates a little, looking between the three women. She responds to Cessie with a nod. "Er- Calanthe Himori, witch and nanny to the Frescot family. Hopefully we will be better able to get acquainted with each other in the future." The woman hovers in the doorway of her room with a glance back towards Sakura. She's not sure whether to retreat back into it and make herself scarce, or interpret the dryad's comment as an invitation to continue interacting with her guests.

Fidelia lets her shoulders relax. So it was just one of the Mithar kids... Cora, right? She hasn't really gotten to know any of them very well in the past year or so, just a few incidental comments from Cessie, and the most she's interacted with any of them was generally passing one in the hallway. And across from her was....

Her eyebrows raise.

Huh, that's Wenomir isn't it? She... well, she didn't know a ton about him, honestly, but Jenette and Calm Reed had mentioned a few things about him. Tall, scarred, supposedly handsome, ambitious of a swordfighter as he is mundane... oh yeah, and also not actually a goblin. That was pretty obvious the moment you saw an actual image of him that's not on an old WATCHFORCE dvd boxset, like the one Jenette has gathering dust in the TV cabinet.

The woman comes to a stop at one of the barricades lying across the main path, watching the two cross swords a couple paces away. They're kind of in the way, and she wasn't sure about trying to skirt around them. Maybe she should just... wait 'till they break and let her pass?

That's what she intends to do at least, until she glances at her phone... and realizes she's nearly late for her lesson.

"Hey, um - excuse me? Fidelia takes a step forward as she speaks up, an eye following both of their blades. She hasn't spent all this time around Jenette and not picked up a thing or two about safety around swords, sharpened or no. If one of them comes swinging towards her somehow, she'll be ready to respond.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

28. - Top - End - #328

[Mithar Sleepover]

It isn't really a sword, Cora, it's a toy!

The point is for it to be dumb and silly. That's the entire goal. Not for it to be anything like a real sword that a sensible person would use.

Lapis wrinkles her nose as the smell of the smoke, but Bastion thinks quick!

Oh!

Oh oh that did it!

Take your own smoke longest dragon!

Okay now is the time to attack!

With a little yell Lapis takes a step forward and brings her 'sword' down in a deadly* arc toward the dragon's head!

*(not actually deadly at all)

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir closes in and puts his sword against Cora's chest, which indicates her guard was down and he could have struck her. Then, however, he steps back and raises his hand, pausing the exercise.

"Hang on, Cora. It seems you have a guest. Fidelia, was it? Here to study with your mother, I assume."

30. - Top - End - #330

[Mithar Sleepover]

Long the Dragon is wacked over the head with the buster sword which causes them to grunt loudly and starts to back away.
    Jillian would surely be outraged if she knew about this!