New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

[Visiting Alchemist]

Dorota is silent for a good, long while. She didn't expect Ambrosia to see through her quite so easily.

"That's about the size of it. I would like to believe there's some order to the universe, not just random chance. And people hearing echoes of their own thoughts, inside their minds, then calling them gods. My people's gods may be dead, but I'm also not certain if they ever did exist. If they did, I defied their supposed plan for us. So my perspective ends up somewhat complex."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

While Dorota is pondering her reply Garn is coming holding a serving tray with their requests.
    "Thank you, Garn." Cessie remarks with a smile as she takes her own tea while Garn is putting down Dorota's and then Ambrosia's water.

Ambrosia sips the water as she then in turn considers Dorota's words. "So you want order, but you also want to defy it. An interesting idea." She puts down the glass and leans a bit closer. "Perhaps it's time I offer you my perspective then. If gods are everything most people claim them to be, then they are utterly inhuman. 'Good' perhaps, but beyond our comprehension. The people you describe meeting, they don't quite live up to the stories I've heard from people of various faiths were gods or a god control all aspects of life regardless if people believe in them or not. That's not to say they're not gods, the term doesn't have a strict definition after all, but they're not what some people believe are gods. However, obviously being all-powerful means that you're for some reason fixing all the world's problem, which requires explanation." She pauses, perhaps for effect considering her next words. "I actually had the fortune to talk to someone claiming to have been directly worked on the creation of the world, taking orders from the gods, or god, themselves. My world obviously, but would that story be of any interest to your research?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"That's a fair point," Dorota agrees, then nods to the gargoyle. "Thank you, Garn. I admit, even the gods I was raised to worship sounded more like kings, writ large. Some claim they created the world, but it's not a universal tale. They seemed to directly lead humanity and humanity alone, giving decrees. Do tell me about this person who did take part in creation, though."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #34

[Visiting Alchemist]

This seems to pique Cessie's interest as well as she leans in a bit closer while sipping her tea.

"Let me first connect this to what you just said, Dorota. Gods are usually relevant in three different ways, as influencers, judges, creators or as a combination of either of them. Yours seem mostly relevant as judges in how their death casts judgement on your people. They sound, like you said, like very human gods. The kind of gods that there are plenty of my own world as well, in various variations."

She looks to Cessie. "Artaris, your god, he's the paragon-type of god which you find ideal, yes?"

The sorceress nods. "He's meant to exist as a concept more than anything else, yes. Though he does give support to people in trying times. Plenty of people have felt his presence giving them hope." She glances at Dorota. "So he does exist more than just as an idea."

"I've spoken to self-proclaimed gods too so I have no doubt about that." Ambrosia remarks though seems to brush that issue aside as she continues. "But Artaris is a good example of a 'helper' god. Once that influences through actions but doesn't promise final judgement at the end, isn't that right, lady Mithar?"

Cessie raises an eyebrow, seemingly surprised that Ambrosia knew that. "Ah, yes. Everyone is equal in death. Artaris aids, he does not act the judge of the dead and condemn those who do."

"A rare trait in gods, usually the influence type of god is far more direct and forward in their actions. But I still think you get the gist of what I'm saying. My own example is about the last category however, the creator. The being I spoke to was a fey, though as a promise I can't be more specific than that, which some would view as gods in their own right. They spoke about the mythological 'ordering of the world', in which they followed the directions of a God or Gods.

They were never sure as these orders weren't verbal. They simply knew what to do the moment they stepped up to what they described as this 'Altar'. The only real physical representation of this divinity. But as time went on these commands were given less and less despite the fey literary begging for them. Without orders they became without direction and some of them even decided to destroy this Altar one day. As if to set themselves free from just the idea that new commands might come one day. This lead to a huge conflict between them... but that's not the part I'd like to focus on.
    " Ambrosia clears her voice and leans back in her seat once more.

"I wasn't given much details in this account. They didn't even describe the Altar in question when I asked. I did get the impression that their memories of the events were somewhat flawed which isn't a surprise considering how long ago it must have been. The point is though that this is quite unlike the other forms of divinity we've been discussing, yes? Impersonal and distant. Not even acting to save what seemed to have been it's only way to communicate with their servants. But even now the fey seem reluctant to talk about them and no one else know, least of all worship them. There simply isn't enough to know about them to worship." The scholar pauses and looks between Dorota and Cessie. "So what's your take on that? Divinity can often be rather mysterious and difficult to understand."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-06-04 at 02:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"It definitely does sound like the opposite of the gods I've personally encountered or was taught about," Dorota admits. "Though I've heard of other gods who were like this elsewhere. Powerful enough to create a world but remaining distant from it. Strangely enough, power and distance seem to correlate. Deities that get personally involved are... more like people, rather than forces of nature."

6. - Top - End - #36

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Well, it makes sense in a way. Beings that are more on a person's level would have desires more similar to that of a person. If you could fulfill every human desire at but a thought you'd eventually start to look for other sources of fulfillment. Probably after living a couple of lifetimes of pure hedonism though." She smiles at what seems to be a joke.

Cessie doesn't seem particularly amused by this however, or perhaps it's something else that's bothering her? "That 'god' this fey mentioned, were you talking about the oni?" She inquires, her voice sounding tenser than usual though it might be hard for Dorota to tell.

"That's something it's or they are called, yes." The scholar pauses as she seems to realize something. "I take it that you don't have the best opinion of them?"

Cessie frowns. "Well, they're certainly not gods. More akin to monsters, and they do have worshippers. Madmen that are willing to murder innocent people for next to no reason. It's happened before my very eyes."

This reply only brings Ambrosia more pause. "I'm not sure I'd call them worshippers. As I said, they don't really communicate so whatever these people believe in they're not really acting according to their will..." She glances at the alchemist as if suddenly seeking her help. "Dorota, after hearing all this, what is your impression of divinity so far? It can certainly lead to down to some pretty dark roads."

And Cessie looked ready to tell them all about it.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

That's a stronger display of emotion from Cessie than Dorota is used to. She clearly feels strongly about the Oni. Maybe she had some kind of personal encounter with their followers.

"If there's one thing I've learned, it's that divinity is a hard concept to pin down or have an opinion about. And beings we call gods are as diverse as everyone, or more. But also... mortals impose their desires and expectation on those they call gods, whether they're physically real or not. I think my people's gods might have simply been echoes of what they wanted or needed, then created stories around."

8. - Top - End - #38

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Yes and those expectations almost always lead to disappointment." Ambrosia remarks almost as soon as Dorota has finished her sentence, leaving no room for Cessie to interject despite it being clear that she wants to.

But before she can, Ambrosia turns with a question to the sorceress herself. "Since that is the whole point of the paragon god, isn't it? They don't take actions since any action they would take is bound to disappoint someone. It's impossible to please every single person no matter how much of a god you are."

"...well, yes. I thought I explain that already." There is frustration in her voice but Ambrosia seem to simply be brushing past it.

Now she turns back to Dorota again. "But perhaps... perhaps you want to be disappointed? Or rather, to disappoint your society?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-06-11 at 02:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

The Interview

Rumblings? Calanthe looks a little amused at that. ”That’s not too surprising, considering what you and your husband have mentioned.” Not to mention how close to nature the family seemed in general, frankly. It seemed to touch everything about them.

There’s a moment of pause as Calanthe muses for something to continue with before choosing to reaffirm her more businesslike demeanor, folding gloved hands behind her back.

“Well, erm, is there anything you would like to discuss further? I would be comfortable with shifting towards the particulars of payment and other arrangements, if you wish.”
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"I want the truth," Dorota says plainly. "If the truth isn't what I like, it's still the truth. My gods are said to have laid down a plan for humanity. I've deviated from it by becoming an alchemist. From what I've heard, Cessie's co-commander did likewise by becoming a warrior. But whether they're dead or alive, real or not, I want to know."

11. - Top - End - #41

[Visiting Alchemist]

Ambrosia nods. "Of course, I apologize. I should have explained what I meant with that line of thought. I don't want to suggest that you're biased against the truth, Dorota. I was simply trying to gauge what could be a potential bias. While I'm sure you already know the importance of understanding where you're coming from it's especially important when the truth you seek is likely going to be esoteric in nature." She gestures to Dorota. "You might have to decide for yourself what it is depending on what you find. So I offer you this, once you've recorded your findings and drawn your conclusions I'd love to cross-examine it."

Cessie clears her voice, having apparently calmed down a bit by now. "While it's not my expertise, I could do so as well if you'd like."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"I appreciate the offer. From both of you," Dorota says, looking between the other two women, then turns to Ambrosia. "It seems like you've studied the topic for far longer than I have, Ambrosia. And more in-depth. None of my findings or conclusions have been a surprise to you."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Lapis Lazuli is excited.

Now, mind, that isn't unusual.

Lapis is strongly in favor of existing and finds just about every experience, new or otherwise, exciting.

But this evening she is extra excited.

You see, she has come to the Mithar residence for the purpose of a sleep over! The logistics of this visit had been planned well in advance and finally finally they are coming to fruition. Lapis has brought with her only the absolute essentials. Like the toy buster sword her Mother made for her Spooktober costume. She had wanted to bring the real sword she had got for Thanksmas but Cessie said no. She also has a sleeping bag. Lapis isn't 100% sure what she needs it for but Mother had insisted that sleeping bags are in important sleepover elements. Also very important? Her toothbrush in a little resealable plastic bag. It can't be emphasized enough how important regular tooth brushing is. The change of clothes is important, too. And finally? A plate of brownies her mother made.

Those are, possibly, the most important part.

For this particular visit Lapis has merely followed Cessie home. That's the normal way to do this sort of thing, right?

The completely normal half-elf child is nearly vibrating with excitement.

Her first sleepover! She loves it!
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

14. - Top - End - #44

[Mithar Sleepover!]

If Lapis is intending to follow Cessie home then she will encounter something her mom seldom has to use.

Namely, a car.

Cessie isn't driving it of course. She doesn't even know how to. But she has a driver that does that for her. The same one that takes her to VIGIL and back every day.

"I hope that Cora and the other kids get the wrong impression of how things are, Lapis. With you actually working for VIGIL they must realize that we don't actually... employ children." Cessie remarks as they are about to arrive at the keep.

[Visiting Alchemist]

"I had the fortune of being raised in a place of learning with people attending to my every need." Ambrosia glances at Cessie. "Sound familiar perhaps?" She looks back to Dorota. "But spirits have always interested me and this have branched off into subjects such as religion and... dragons. The fact gods became included in that is only natural. Gods and spirits are often seen as peas in a pod after all and I've encountered many of them in my search for answers to other questions. Like the fey giving me the story of the creation gods for instance." The scholar gestures to her. "So if you don't mind, I have another question for you. Do you have any idea where you're planning to take your research next?"

15. - Top - End - #45

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Lapis has never been in a car before.

It's so much fun, she loves it!

On the way over she was imagining that there was a little person running along the side of the road jumping over all the signs.

Zoom!

She's so glad she gets to live here inside the Game. Mother told her once that she can only imagine things because she gets tasty hopes and dreams as part of her balanced diet. You can't get those in the Empyrean! Lapis can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to imagine. It must be really not-fun at all.

"Huh?" Lapis pipes up when Cessie speaks. "What's wrong with me working at VIGIL I love it there!"

The little seraph was quite literally made for it.

"Cora and Bastion and Jillian work at your house, right? Like how it's Lucy's job to sort the laundry for her mom?"

It sounds like Lapis has the mistaken notion that all children help around the house doing the things servants are supposed to do.

She's very naive.

But it's a hopelessly optimistic sort of naivety.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-06-13 at 04:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Cessie's eyebrows raises at this comparison. "Lapis, do you work for your mother? Since while chores is a thing all children should do on occasion, it's hardly a full-time job."

17. - Top - End - #47

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"Yeah!" Lapis responds brightly. "Mother made me and gave me the job to help keep VIGIL safe! It's the BEST job, I love it!"

See?

Exactly the same.

The problem here, Cessie, is that you're thinking of Lapis as one of your mammal babies.

She is definitely not one of those.

A baby crocodile probably wouldn't be a terrible analogy.

Zee is around and is generally aware of what Lapis is up to, but the child is otherwise on her own and fends for herself.

And like a mother crocodile Zee will come running if Lapis, for whatever reason, started making distressed squeaking noises.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Interview]

"Yeah, it seems inevitable we're gonna get another pet at some point." He points at Kissa. "But don't go spreading that around, kid."

The stag takes a moment to consider when Calanthe proposes moving on. "Well..." He looks at Sakura, then back to the bunny. "How about you meet the whole family first? See what you think of them." And what they think of you, his eyes tack on. "Best if maybe everyone gets acquainted now, huh?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #49

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"...it's not the same then. Cora, Bastion and Jillian won't get any jobs until they're old enough. They're going to need to figure out what they like to do on their own, what they want to do with their lives, which can take quite a while. An entire life in some cases." By now, they're driving up to the keep and before Lapis know it they slow down just outside the keep.
    The driver opens the door and Cessie will step outside, inviting Lapis to do the same.

20. - Top - End - #50

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"I guess it's different 'cuz other kids need to find out what they're for instead of just knowing what they're for?" Lapis reasons as she hops out of the car.

Also?

She does her best to do a fancy curtsy since she was informed things are fancy here.

"Thank you, Mister!"

Is she supposed to curtsy at the servants?

She has no idea.

No one explained all the rules to her.

Then she's skipping off toward the house!

"Your house is so big and pretty I love it! Why are there so many scowly statues?" Lapis asks, always zeroing in on the most important details. She does her best to make an equally scowly face back at one of the gargoyles.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Interview]

"Oh yes, you need to meet everyone." Sakura agrees immediately. "Let's go outside." Sakura turns to lead the way out, and will proceed to do so unless anyone objects.

Back downstairs and through the kitchen, Sakura swings open the patio door. The volume of the kids jumps up as the door opens. They're running around and shouting things back and forth to each other. They're running around a tree, though the tree's irregularities stand out pretty quickly. Her eyes might even be guided up to the smiling face watching the children.

"Kids!" Sakura calls. "Hey, everyone listen! Come over here for a minute." Gradually all the kids slows down and start to head over. Quickly curious eyes turn on Calenthe.

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Shortly after they get out of the car the front door to the keep flies open as Cora runs through it. She has to hold up her skirts to avoid tripping over her nice dress. "Hi Lapis!" She shouts as she approaches. The girl is practically vibrating with excitement. The other two Mithar children come outside far behind her. bastion makes sure to close the door Cor left wide open. "You're finally here. I gotta show you my house." She wastes no time.

22. - Top - End - #52

[Mithar Sleepover!]

The car is now in the courtyard of what's less of a house and more of a, well, keep. A tall tower-like structure which overlooks Inside.

Cessie smiles as she sees the girls interacting. "Do remember that we're eating dinner in an hour, Cora. So don't start up anything you can't pause or finish before then." She then looks to Lapis. "And the gargoyles are there to keep evil spirits at bay, Lapis. They protect the keep just like Garn does." Just in a more passive way.

Speaking of Garn, he's actually nowhere in sight though the Mithar children should know that he's cleaning the armory at the moment.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-06-14 at 05:35 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Lapis has seen several different sorts of houses. The houses people make are usually box shaped.

Big boxes.

Little boxes.

Tall boxes long boxes boxes all stacked on top of each other.

The house Lapis had constructed (really it was more of a nest or a single room) wasn't box-shaped. It was very round and irregular. She still liked it, though, because she had made it herself. Lapis isn't sure why mortals like box-shaped things so much. Maybe that shape is just easier to make?

"If any evil spirits sneak past the guardgoyels I'll bite them," Lapis announces definitively. "I'm good at finding sneaky things."

She is! She's great at it, even. That's what Mother made her for.

Before Cessie can provide any insight into the difficulties of biting non-physical entities Lapis is yelling, "Hi Cora!" and skipping off.

"Your house is so tall I love it! Your mom said the guardgoyels are for keeping evil spirits away they must be doing a good job because I don't think there are any around."

Just like the mythical tiger repelling stone.

Lapis is, as it happens, wearing a nice little dress herself. Procured from her Aunti Lillith, a frilly deep blue and white ensemble inspired by some of the less revealing drow styles. Made of silk, of course. Apparently Zee is at least somewhat aware of Cessie's standards and prepared her daughter accordingly. The dress clashes mightily with the red and white backpack Lapis had acquired. It has a picture of sudowoodo on the back she loves it.

Bastion and Jillian are waved at for good measure.

"What are we going to look at first? I brought some things with me too but not the sword I got for Thanksmas your mom said I couldn't."

There's a hint of disappointment there. Lapis really likes her Thanksmas sword and she wanted to show it to Cora.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-06-14 at 10:13 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"I can't say I know for certain," Dorota admits. "I seem to have exhausted my current avenues. I've spoken to the few gods readily available for conversation and inquired among people in HALO who are familiar with the subject. I've thought about studying the supernatural beings of my homeworld that are actually proven to exist. Fey, spirits, giants and demons. Now there's a dizzying variety of each of those around, so I'd need to focus on those who share a world of origin with me."

25. - Top - End - #55

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Or, perhaps, return to your own world? There might be ways to, at least temporary, return you there if you're interested." Ambrosia claims, causing to Cessie to give her an odd look.
    "I might be promising too much here but I know that there might be a way for you to do so."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

Dorota looks surprised by Ambrosia's suggestion. But then she nods.

"I've considered that I might to go back there in the course of my research. I'm not very eager to do that, though. I don't miss the place. It seems to be relatively easy to get to compared to other worlds, but I appreciate the offer all the same. I've heard some reports of fey that seem to match those from my homeworld. I can't say I paid much attention to them when I was there, sadly. I lived in a city and fey avoid those."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover!]

The other kids near at a more reasonable pace, but Cora drowns out any contribution they can make so far. "What? Mooommy, why can't Lapis bring her sword?" The girl turns on her moment, her voice whining with protest. This complaint is of top priority; everything else must wait.

28. - Top - End - #58

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Cessie raises her eyebrow as she's being questioned by her daughter. "Cora, I'm not allowing you to carry around a real sword. If I allowed Lapis to do that, wouldn't that be unfair? She's a child too and won't be carrying around a weapon in here." She crosses her arms over her chest, demonstrating this wasn't something she's going to argue. "Now, you should give Lapis a tour of the place. There might be a surprise for you somewhere in here." Her mother gives her a mysterious smile. Was she up to something? Cora almost certainly knew every inch of the keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Visiting Alchemist]

Dorota looks surprised by Ambrosia's suggestion. But then she nods.

"I've considered that I might to go back there in the course of my research. I'm not very eager to do that, though. I don't miss the place. It seems to be relatively easy to get to compared to other worlds, but I appreciate the offer all the same. I've heard some reports of fey that seem to match those from my homeworld. I can't say I paid much attention to them when I was there, sadly. I lived in a city and fey avoid those."
    [Visiting Alchemist]

Ambrosia nods. "It might be unpleasant, yes. But that is the nature of the 'truth' you desire too isn't? It's not always pleasant and it might require us to go to some pretty awful places to find it. Now, philososphical arguments aside, if a fey of your world could take you there I do know ways to locate them. Might be a better alternative than my own solution which also would involve possibly getting indebted to a shady entity."

Cessie gives Dorota a concerned look. "Dorota, I don't think being in debt to any fey would be worth it. Research should always be done as safely as possible so wait until you find a safe way to do this."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-06-16 at 06:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

[Mithar Sleepover!]

As it happens, Mother had told Lapis not to draw something like a sword while at the sleepover, either.

This, of course, resulted in protestation.

What if BAD GUYS appeared?

Lapis was told not to worry about that. The Mithar keep is safe.

The conclusion Lapis drew from all of this is that if bad guys DO appear she'll just have to be inventive. But maybe with all the guardgoyels around she doesn't have to worry about that?

"It's okay Cora I brought the pretend sword Mother made for my Spooktober costume! It's still fun," Lapis points out.

It IS fun. But it isn't a real sword.

"Do you have your own room? Is it neat?" she inquires. Lapis is betting it's neat.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

Dorota's concerned look matches Cessie.

"Yes... I was warned about making deals with fey when I was younger. And unlike many social admonitions I heard back then, this one is probably wise. I mentioned them because it might be an opportunity to learn more about them without returning to my homeworld. I know that, back there, elves have a relationship with them that one might consider religious. But it seems a lot more down to earth than that. They don't worship them, but... make deals. Sometimes the fey becomes their ruler, sometimes it's more equitable."