New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"But-" Cora purses her lips. But she wants to see a swooooord. She looks like she's gonna have a minor outburst before her brother interrupts.

"Cora and I share a room. Want to see it?" He offers politely to Lapis.

Cora breathes out through her nose with a small puff of smoke. "Yeah and we can get my sword too."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"Yeah, I want to see your room I bet I'll love it," Lapis says as she-

Well.

She can't really run off toward Cora and Bastion's room.

Since she doesn't know where it is.

One of those minor technical details that will slow her down just a tad.

"Here's the one from my costume I love it see?" Lapis says as she shrugs off her little backpack, reaches inside, and pulls out the toy buster sword. "Isn't it funny it's so big!"

WAY bigger than a real sword.

Why, it's a little taller than Lapis, even! It looks like it's made out of pool-noodle foam and some plastic to help keep its shape. It also shouldn't have been able to fit inside her backpack but hey life is mysterious.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

Ambrosia doesn't seem to share their concern however. "I might be able to help any negotiations with fey if you're really interested in that angle. My own suggestion involved a scientist I know who have already successfully managed to transfer people to other worlds."
    The mention of 'scientist' seems to make Cessie recall something judging by her expression. "Hold on, I too know a scientist that could help you out Dorota. Geneva is in fact an expert in dimensional travel. She's been working on a big project which would allow people to return to their own dimensions if they'd like to."

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"Remember that we're eating dinner in less than a hour, kids. So don't start up anything you can't finish, alright?" Cessie calls after the three before they disappear, probably leaving her alone with Jillian.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [The Interview]

"Oh yes, you need to meet everyone." Sakura agrees immediately. "Let's go outside." Sakura turns to lead the way out, and will proceed to do so unless anyone objects.

Back downstairs and through the kitchen, Sakura swings open the patio door. The volume of the kids jumps up as the door opens. They're running around and shouting things back and forth to each other. They're running around a tree, though the tree's irregularities stand out pretty quickly. Her eyes might even be guided up to the smiling face watching the children.

"Kids!" Sakura calls. "Hey, everyone listen! Come over here for a minute." Gradually all the kids slows down and start to head over. Quickly curious eyes turn on Calenthe.
    Calanthe blinks, looking the slightest bit nervous. Seeing so many kids at once has a bit more weight to it than just knowing the number. Still, she takes any anxiety in stride and puts on a friendly little smile. "Well, greetings to all of you." The rabbit appends her statement with a small wave. She gives the two parents a quick glance, unsure if they wish to introduce her first or intend for her to do so.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Perhaps visiting my home might help. Just as long as I don't have to speak to my family again." There's a very acidic tone to that last remark. "If I do decide to go back there, it does sound like this Geneva might help me. As does... who is the scientist you know, Ambrosia?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Interview]

Adir is happy to help her out. He knows they can be overwhelming. They overwhelm him all the time! "This is Calanthe. She's a, uh, helper. You might see her around the house a lot more soon. She's very nice, and I want you to be nice to her too." There. Plain and simple.

One of the eldest kids, a boy with deer's eyes, dark skin and a puff of pink flowers for hair, sidles up to Calanthe. He bends his head to one side. Seems to purse his lips and consider what to say. "Are you... like... friends with my mom and dad?" He's not sure what to make of a helper.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #67

[Visiting Alchemist]

"They're called Jall and have a laboratory in outside away from civilization as their research can be rather dangerous. I know this doesn't sound particularly reassuring but with some luck I could speak to them on your behalf in case Lady Mithar's suggestion doesn't work out."

"'They'?" Cessie inquires.

"Jall is non-binary and prefers to be referred as 'they'."

"Oh." She promptly stops asking, this being one of the few times she even heard that term being applied like this.

"You might not even need to go to their laboratory if things work out. It's quite a way out after all."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover!]

"Yeah, I want to see your room I bet I'll love it," Lapis says as she-

Well.

She can't really run off toward Cora and Bastion's room.

Since she doesn't know where it is.

One of those minor technical details that will slow her down just a tad.

"Here's the one from my costume I love it see?" Lapis says as she shrugs off her little backpack, reaches inside, and pulls out the toy buster sword. "Isn't it funny it's so big!"

WAY bigger than a real sword.

Why, it's a little taller than Lapis, even! It looks like it's made out of pool-noodle foam and some plastic to help keep its shape. It also shouldn't have been able to fit inside her backpack but hey life is mysterious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover!]

"Remember that we're eating dinner in less than a hour, kids. So don't start up anything you can't finish, alright?" Cessie calls after the three before they disappear, probably leaving her alone with Jillian.
    [Mithar Sleepover!]

Jillian does in fact head over to her mom, recognizing that her older siblings are gonna proceed to ignore her while they have a guest. Such is the life of the youngest child. "Can you carry me, mommy? Please?" She requests. One of these days Cessie will need to stop accommodating this desire, though. At six year old she's quite difficult to carry for more than a few minutes.

"Come on." Bastion beckons and starts to lead the way. The girls can walk and talk.

"What?" Cora looks at the 'sword' in shock. "But that's not a sword! You could never lift or swing it right if it was metal." She insists quite adamantly.

They enter into the grand foyer and head straight through it. Past an arching throughway is towering room, the ceiling opening up into another full floor above them. The room is luxuriously decorated, sporting a sitting area in its middle. Railings line the upper level, hinting at some of the rest of the home yet to be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Calanthe blinks, looking the slightest bit nervous. Seeing so many kids at once has a bit more weight to it than just knowing the number. Still, she takes any anxiety in stride and puts on a friendly little smile. "Well, greetings to all of you." The rabbit appends her statement with a small wave. She gives the two parents a quick glance, unsure if they wish to introduce her first or intend for her to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Interview]

Adir is happy to help her out. He knows they can be overwhelming. They overwhelm him all the time! "This is Calanthe. She's a, uh, helper. You might see her around the house a lot more soon. She's very nice, and I want you to be nice to her too." There. Plain and simple.

One of the eldest kids, a boy with deer's eyes, dark skin and a puff of pink flowers for hair, sidles up to Calanthe. He bends his head to one side. Seems to purse his lips and consider what to say. "Are you... like... friends with my mom and dad?" He's not sure what to make of a helper.
    [The Interview]

Sakura speaks up to spare Calanthe having to explain. "We'll be great friends. Calanthe might be helping keep an eye on your kids like grandpa does." The dryad gently ruffles her son's flowers. "You should introduce yourself when meeting someone new, though." She admonishes gently.

She looks to Calanthe. "This is Cern." Then she turns to the rest. "There's Laela and Gwydion and Russell and..." She leans left and right. "Lucy, focus for a minute. Come on." A girl with a huge mass of flower hair perks up from where she was stooped over at the back of the group, apparently finding something more interesting than Calanthe on the ground. She lists through the children, "Laurana, Cassie, Cassandra, Kissa, Malachi, and of course you already met Finian." She turns back to Calanthe at the end and beams after the presentation of the lights of her life.

With each named child she received a hi or a wave except from Russell, who from Sakura's gesture she can pick out as the slightly out of place boy with green skin and a single flower atop his head. He watches her quite intently, though. Kissa likewise doesn't reply, but that's because she's decided to start to walk off, only to be wrangled by Laela almost immediately.

"Oh, and I can't forget Sarget." Sakura gestures past the kids to none other than the tree. Or tree man as it were. With Calanthe's attention drawn up to his face by Sakura's gesture, the treant smiles warmly in greeting.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2021-06-22 at 12:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Lapis follows along after Bastion, her pack in one hand and her 'sword' in the other.

She can't help but laugh at Cora's reaction to it.

"I know that's what I said! But it's just so dumb, I love it! That's why it's just a pretend sword instead of a real sword. Pretend swords can be like lots of different things. Mother said it was a joke about VIGIL when the Spooktober party was happening and that it was something about clouds? I didn't get it but Mother knows lots of things I don't."

The 'sword' is swung around a few times just to show how utterly unwieldy it is.

"It's balance is dumb and its hilt is too short and it hasn't got any hard guard or anything! It's just the worst, silliest, dumbest sword but I love it anyway since Mother made it for me."

Lapis thinks that's a really good reason to love something. Because someone you love made it for you.

"My real sword is way better at being a sword. It's a side-sword with a pretty, curly hand-guard I really like it. The guard is nice 'cuz when you're sparring you don't get your fingers hit on accident," Lapis explains. She really wishes she could have brought her REAL sword with her maybe she and Cora could have practiced but Cessie didn't want them to do that.

And then?

The foyer blooms before them.

"Woooooow your house is so pretty, I love it! Everything is so shiny and clean."

Then a little gasp when she spots a rather large oil painting of the family.

It shouldn't come as a shock that Lapis instantly zeros in on the most important thing in the portrait.

"Is that YOUR sword? That's a longsword right it looks like a really great sword. The hilt is pretty I like that blue color."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-06-22 at 12:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Cessie puts her hands on her hips as she looks down at Jillian. "Aren't you starting to get a bit too old to be carried, ladybug? I can't carry you around forever. Maybe Garn could but I don't think you'd want that." She smiles.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

Dorota isn't as surprised as Cessie by Jall being non-binary. Seems she's run into the concept before.

"I do appreciate the offer. I don't know if going to my homeworld will be necessary yet. And I fear I'd experience culture shock." She pauses, thinking. "I believe I've heard of a fey from my homeworld living in the Nexus somewhere. There's a community of elven hunters who revere a powerful... bird or dragon-like being. Seems to fit what I've heard of elves back home."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #72

[Midsummers Eve]

Cessie have invited not only the Frescots but a lot of the children of VIGIL and their parents and relatives to the keep.

The reason? The midsummer celebration.

A Hestopian tradition that the sorceress upholds even in the nexus.

Which is why the walls and much of the courtyard is decorated in flowers and in the courtyard there's two huge rectangular banquet tables made up of a lot of smaller tables put together. The second one is made up of two tables with shorter legs and is intended for the older children to use.

There will be servings of more traditional Hestopian food but also more specialized nexus cuisine for those that prefer it.

Then there's the polefire. A large bonfire with a tall wooden pole sticking out of it. Traditionally, people are supposed to dance around it before the fire is started and the celebrations officially can being. But Cessie is skipping a bit on the dance this year and everyone is simply supposed to gather around it as the fire is started.

Usually Garn or Cessie sets the fire but with the other changes that's been made Cessie have asked if one of them would like to do it this year. Or perhaps try to do it all-together. It will be up to them however.

Now Cessie is greeting visitors by the gate along with Garn and her children (who have been instructed to remain there until all the guests have arrived).

However, either the Frescots have already arrived or people the children might never have seen before are the first to. A cab drives up before the gate and as its door opens two very tall people step out. Considering their length, their huge pointy ears and the color of their skin the children might guess that they're related to Anika somehow. But the shorter of the two, who might actually be a child despite how tall she is, have snakes for hair.

"Ah, how lovely." The taller of two remarks as she walks up to them. She's a woman dressed in a robe not completely unlike the children might have seen in pictures of Hestopia.
    "And these must be Cora, Jillian and Bastion." She leans down and smiles at them. "I am Shantariel, though you might call me Shanti, and this is my daughter Natharia." She gestures at the snake-haired girl.

Cessie steps forward as if to show it's nothing to be concerned about. "Welcome, Shanti, Natharia." She greets them warmly. "And yes, these are my children. Though you already seem to know their name."

Natharia certainly do too as her mother has given her a list of the names of everyone at the party including a brief description of who they are. Shanti have told her as the oldest kid at the party she should show those younger kids how brilliant she is. She's convinced that they will be impressed with her considering how unique she is.

[Visiting Alchemist]

"And you would want to travel to them for your research?" Ambrosia inquires. "Since I thought the consensus was that you didn't want to deal with the fey."

13. - Top - End - #73

[Midsummers Eve]

Lapis is having fun.

She and her Mother just arrived!

Though no one ought to be able to see them yet since they're a few hundred feet inwards and mortals never remember to look in that direction.

Or can't look in that direction?

Probably can't because they don't.

Anyway!

Lapis is, of course, riding in Mother's mouth and peeking out between her teeth! Wow! They're so way up high! Mother is just the biggest ever and Lapis loves her all the amounts. They stop a little ways out of sight and Mother lowers her head down so Lapis can hop out and then then Lapis folds herself up and steps out from behind a tree all grins and giggles. She has to wait a little bit, though, since Mother is so big and it takes her longer to fold up but that's okay Lapis doesn't mind watching all the people and wow those people are tall like Anika! Weren't they at the Spooktober party Lapis is pretty sure she remembers them.

After a few minutes Zee and Lapis emerge into sight, Lapis holding onto Zee's hand and skipping with scarcely constrained enthusiasm. Zee is a little more measured and resists skipping.

The little half-drow girl opens up her mouth to shout at her friends but Zee hushes her. This results in a pouty look from Lapis.

"Let the people who got here first say hello," Zee admonishes her daughter.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

"I didn't want to make a deal with one to travel back to my world," Dorota clarifies. "Simply talking to one might not be so risky. I'm not sure. I could also find some giants to talk to, perhaps. I know less about them than I do about fey. Or spirits, but they're... not reliable. I should steer clear of demons, I think."

15. - Top - End - #75

[Midsummer's Eve]

The Frescots are certainly already here. The other gate gives them a different means of arrival after all. Adir, the substantial man with white hair and antlers, seems to be trying to manage a fussy infant while the older kids manage themselves. Five of the eldest Frescots, a mass of pink flowers and bright eyes, are clustered around one corner of a table that's been placed out for the occasion. Three of them seem to watching and offering... unhelpful commentary while two at a time play with a little portable game console. Dad said they could only play with electronics until the rest of the people started to arrive, and he'll no doubt be over to reinforce that mandate any minute.

The rest of the children, including three chestnut-haired girls and another flower-headed little boy, are quite preoccupied with something else. It seems their father got them a different sort of toy, a large wooden tortoise with glowing eyes that walks around like the real thing. They seem to be taking turns riding the ambling automaton around and tumbling off its slippery back.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Midsummer's Eve

Spako Highclaws (sometimes known as Algix) arrives with his many hatchlings. A loose-fitting harness carries all seven shiny hatchlings of varying colors in equally varying states of being-okay-with-being-in-a-harness.
    The dragon seems kind of sheepish to be here. He hasn't ever really made friends with Commander Mithar and Pepper didn't come so he doesn't really know anyone here. But he would never turn down such an invitation so he comes down to the front entrance anyway, trying to take note of everyone already there.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

The three Mithar kids stand dutifully alongside their mom. Well, mostly. Cora looks restless. She plucks at her skirt and looks longingly over where the Frescots are playing. Whyyy does she have to stand here?

"Wow, why do you have snakes on your head?" Jillian exclaims, forgetting her manners in her fascination.

Natharia looks skeptically down at these tiny babies. "They're not on my head. They're part of me." She corrects haughtily before turning her attention to Cessie. "Hello miss Mithar. Thank you for inviting us." She adjusts her sunglasses, unnecessarily given they're secured around the back of her neck.

Jillian flushes with embarrassment. Oops.

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Lapis follows along after Bastion, her pack in one hand and her 'sword' in the other.

She can't help but laugh at Cora's reaction to it.

"I know that's what I said! But it's just so dumb, I love it! That's why it's just a pretend sword instead of a real sword. Pretend swords can be like lots of different things. Mother said it was a joke about VIGIL when the Spooktober party was happening and that it was something about clouds? I didn't get it but Mother knows lots of things I don't."

The 'sword' is swung around a few times just to show how utterly unwieldy it is.

"It's balance is dumb and its hilt is too short and it hasn't got any hard guard or anything! It's just the worst, silliest, dumbest sword but I love it anyway since Mother made it for me."

Lapis thinks that's a really good reason to love something. Because someone you love made it for you.

"My real sword is way better at being a sword. It's a side-sword with a pretty, curly hand-guard I really like it. The guard is nice 'cuz when you're sparring you don't get your fingers hit on accident," Lapis explains. She really wishes she could have brought her REAL sword with her maybe she and Cora could have practiced but Cessie didn't want them to do that.

And then?

The foyer blooms before them.

"Woooooow your house is so pretty, I love it! Everything is so shiny and clean."

Then a little gasp when she spots a rather large oil painting of the family.

It shouldn't come as a shock that Lapis instantly zeros in on the most important thing in the portrait.

"Is that YOUR sword? That's a longsword right it looks like a really great sword. The hilt is pretty I like that blue color."
    [Mithar Sleepover!]

Cora continues to looks skeptical in the face of Lapis's enthusiasm over her toy 'sword'. She's quickly appeased by the description of a real sword though. She sighs wistfully. "I wish mommy let you bring it. I wanna see." She complains.

Oh, but Lapis found the most important thing in the room. She follows the other girl over. "I don't really have a sword like that, but when I get one it'll be just like that. The painter lady just made it look like that. It's really cool though, right?"

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Cessie puts her hands on her hips as she looks down at Jillian. "Aren't you starting to get a bit too old to be carried, ladybug? I can't carry you around forever. Maybe Garn could but I don't think you'd want that." She smiles.
    "Nuh uh. I like being carried." Jillian assures her mom. She holds her arms out, like she always does when she wants to be lifted. She's not so easily turned away it seems.

18. - Top - End - #78

[Midsummer's Eve]

Cessie raises her eyebrow warningly at Jillian when she makes that comment but doesn't comment on it. Instead she turns to smile back at Natharia. "It's my pleasure, Natharia. I do hope you have some fun here considering that no one is quite your age." She glances over at her children.
    "But do take your seat, the fire will soon be lit and then food will be served." Cessie gestures at the tables. Natharia might note that one chair at the older kids table is larger than the others. Is that her seat?

Shanti turns to smile at her daughter. "I think we will do, isn't that right, Shanti? I do believe what we've arranged will be fun at least." Regardless of the other participants age.
    Her mother do seem to know something that she doesn't.

But before they go, Cessie have one more question. "Actually, now that I think about it, where's Anika? I expected her to come with you."

Shanti shrugs. "She insisted on flying rather than taking the car so it might be a while before she arrives."

"Ah, well, she arrives when she arrives then I suppose... now if you excuse me. I should attend to our other guests." Namely Zee and Lapis!

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Cessie let's out a small sigh and reaches down to scope up her younger daughter. This was not an argument she was planning to have while they were having guests. "Okay, but just a little bit. I'm not strong enough to carry you much longer than that. You're simply getting too big, ladybug." It does take a little bit of effort to lift the girl but she manages.

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Ah, I see. Perhaps you could gain some information about your gods by talking to them. But tell me a bit about these beings you mentioned. Is there a reason why they might know something about your gods?" Ambrosia's tome seems ready to start taking notes.

Then Cessie has a question. "Excuse me Dorota, but while we're on this subject I got a question. Is Rein a fey from your world? I've heard that he has a fey nature."

19. - Top - End - #79

[Midsummer's Eve]

When the night elves head into the grounds proper to join the party Zee makes a gesture for Lapis to follow her. Thus, here comes Zee all smiles with her daughter scampering along behind.

"Happy Midsummer!" Zee says, not totally sure if that's the proper greeting.

"Happy Midsummer!" Lapis echos, 'cuz that's what Mother said.

"The decorations look really nice. You've put some real effort into this. And thanks for the invitation. I definitely need to get out of Trog's and socialize in other venues a bit more often," Zee adds.

"The flowers are pretty, I love them!" Lapis half-shouts, as agreeable as ever. "Hi Cora! Hi Bastion! Oh, the Frescots are here too?"

Oop, she just spotted the other children inside the grounds. This is all coming together! And that girl with the snake hair, too! She was at Spooktober, wasn't she? There will be so many fun people here Lapis is loving it! Oh! And then! She remembers something very important! She reaches into her backpack and withdraws-

A wooden duck!

"Anika told me to make sure to bring the duck I got from the boss-bird do you know why?"

This is a very important question.

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"It's really cool," Lapis agrees. "Longswords are great, I love them! I bet once you have a real sword yours will be even BETTER than the one in the painting."

Could such a thing even be?

"But I guess your mom doesn't like real swords at your house? There are lots of real swords at VIGIL and she doesn't mind them much there," Lapis reasons. Maybe the Mithar manor just isn't a good place for swords? "Mother said that I'm not supposed to draw Something Like a Sword while I'm here, either. So I guess maybe your mom just doesn't want any dangerous things in the house and Mother knows that since she knows lots of stuff."

It's true.

Zee knows ALL SORTS of stuff.

Hmm...

Is that why Cessie has issues with fire breathing contests, too?

"What part of the house is your room in this house is SO BIG!"
    Lapis observes. Why do they need such a big house? None of them are that big, are they?

20. - Top - End - #80

[Midsummer's Eve]

Spako might find himself nearly bumping into a diminutive young girl. Not really through any fault of his own. She kind of just seems to appear. It looks like she's wandered away from her siblings that are still playing with their wooden tortoise. She has chestnut hair tied back in a little tail, a round face, and eyes with pupils like little black blocks.

"Hi," says she. Her eyes slowly get wider and brighter. She pushes her hands into her cheeks as she looks at the hatchlings. In a hushed, awed tone, she adds, "Are those your babies?"

All of the older Frescots perk up when Lapis and Zee make their entrance, but only Laela and Lucy react right away.

"Lapis!" the girls cry, breaking off from their siblings and jogging over. They leave a trail of pink petals in their wake. "What's this about a bird?" asks Lucy.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

21. - Top - End - #81

Spoiler
    Show
    [The Interview]

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [The Interview]

Sakura speaks up to spare Calanthe having to explain. "We'll be great friends. Calanthe might be helping keep an eye on your kids like grandpa does." The dryad gently ruffles her son's flowers. "You should introduce yourself when meeting someone new, though." She admonishes gently.

She looks to Calanthe. "This is Cern." Then she turns to the rest. "There's Laela and Gwydion and Russell and..." She leans left and right. "Lucy, focus for a minute. Come on." A girl with a huge mass of flower hair perks up from where she was stooped over at the back of the group, apparently finding something more interesting than Calanthe on the ground. She lists through the children, "Laurana, Cassie, Cassandra, Kissa, Malachi, and of course you already met Finian." She turns back to Calanthe at the end and beams after the presentation of the lights of her life.

With each named child she received a hi or a wave except from Russell, who from Sakura's gesture she can pick out as the slightly out of place boy with green skin and a single flower atop his head. He watches her quite intently, though. Kissa likewise doesn't reply, but that's because she's decided to start to walk off, only to be wrangled by Laela almost immediately.

"Oh, and I can't forget Sarget." Sakura gestures past the kids to none other than the tree. Or tree man as it were. With Calanthe's attention drawn up to his face by Sakura's gesture, the treant smiles warmly in greeting.

The rabbit smiles a little as Sakura chides Cern for his manners, doing her best to follow each and every indication while the woman does the work of introductions for her. "I hope you'll let it slide if it takes me a little bit to learn all of your names when there's so many to remember, but I look forward to getting to know each and every one of you!" Calanthe gives them a friendly smile and tilts her head to Sarget, a little surprised but a bit too focused on the job to be flustered. "I'm not sure when I'll start, but I'll be here to help for anything you might need, whether it be a scraped elbow or someone to play catch."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Natharia smiles at Cessie and moves along with her mother. Jillian's burning questions will go unasked for now. She wants to know more, but she's far too embarrassed to try to ask now.

"Why are there so many little kids here?" Natharia asks once they're a bit away from the Mithars and the flowery kids that just streaked by them. Not that she really expects an answer. It's just a lot of very small kids.

Meanwhile Cora gives a big, overhead wave as Lapis nears. "Hi Lapis!" She reins in her volume when the other girl nears. "Mommy said you were coming."

"Do you know about Midsummer, Lapis?" Bastion asks her. It's important to know about the holiday the party's for.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Spako might find himself nearly bumping into a diminutive young girl. Not really through any fault of his own. She kind of just seems to appear. It looks like she's wandered away from her siblings that are still playing with their wooden tortoise. She has chestnut hair tied back in a little tail, a round face, and eyes with pupils like little black blocks.

"Hi," says she. Her eyes slowly get wider and brighter. She pushes her hands into her cheeks as she looks at the hatchlings. In a hushed, awed tone, she adds, "Are those your babies?"

All of the older Frescots perk up when Lapis and Zee make their entrance, but only Laela and Lucy react right away.

"Lapis!" the girls cry, breaking off from their siblings and jogging over. They leave a trail of pink petals in their wake. "What's this about a bird?" asks Lucy.
    Midsummer's Eve

Spako lowers his head and turns it so his eye can look right at the girl. Maybe even tickle her nose with one of his feathers.
    "Yes. This is Drassin and Imbaeris and Meirhin and Heuldra and Nasir and Hiedie and Bhoreldis. I'm Spako. What's your name?" he asks softly. Dragons are surprisingly good at being quiet for their size.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

Dorota seems surprised by Cessie's question, but then simply shakes her head.

"I can't claim to be an expert on fey, but I don't believe so. He's never shown or mentioned anything that I would find familiar. As far as the giants go, they're old. As old as fey. I think they might be their opposite? I'm not sure. They shun mortals, except sometimes for dwarves and halflings. But if they're old and have some insight into the workings of the world... maybe they remember something about our gods, or lack thereof, that we don't."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"It's really cool," Lapis agrees. "Longswords are great, I love them! I bet once you have a real sword yours will be even BETTER than the one in the painting."

Could such a thing even be?

"But I guess your mom doesn't like real swords at your house? There are lots of real swords at VIGIL and she doesn't mind them much there," Lapis reasons. Maybe the Mithar manor just isn't a good place for swords? "Mother said that I'm not supposed to draw Something Like a Sword while I'm here, either. So I guess maybe your mom just doesn't want any dangerous things in the house and Mother knows that since she knows lots of stuff."

It's true.

Zee knows ALL SORTS of stuff.

Hmm...

Is that why Cessie has issues with fire breathing contests, too?

"What part of the house is your room in this house is SO BIG!"
    Lapis observes. Why do they need such a big house? None of them are that big, are they?
    [Mithar Sleepover!]

"Mommy is so unfair." Cora replies. There's no justification for this!

"It's because swords are sharp and dangerous and Cora's only learning how to handle one safely." Bastion chimes in from behind the girls. Cora whirls around at him. Her look says it all: Traitor!

"Wenomir is teaching me really good. I could have a real sword." She insists as she pushes past him. She heads toward the staircase. "Our rooms up on the third floor. Let's go."

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Cessie let's out a small sigh and reaches down to scope up her younger daughter. This was not an argument she was planning to have while they were having guests. "Okay, but just a little bit. I'm not strong enough to carry you much longer than that. You're simply getting too big, ladybug." It does take a little bit of effort to lift the girl but she manages.
    Jillian hugs her mom as she's hefted up. She giggles. "But I'm little." She replies certainly.

26. - Top - End - #86

[The Interview]

Adir folds his arms, smiling proudly over his children. This is good. He thinks Calanthe is gonna be a really good fit.

"Oh," says Cern. "So you can't come and play?"

"Yeah, come play!" squeaks the one Sakura called Cassie.

"Easy, kids," says Adir. "We have some more things to talk about first. But then maybe, if Calanthe wants..." He looks at the rabbit. It would be nice if she interacted with them some more. Or at least stayed for dinner. They'll have to see.

[Midsummer's Eve]

The tiny lady laughs when her nose is tickled.

"Hi Spako! And Drazz-- Drassin! And Imbars... Embarrass!"
    She looks like she might say hi to the rest if she hadn't already forgotten them all. Too many complicated names for such a small girl. "I'm Laurana." She points around. "Those are my brothers and sisters. And there's my daddy."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #87

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Lapis shall follow her friends up the stairs, considering their problem.

Swords are sharp and dangerous.

This is true.

But Lapis hasn't ever hurt herself with her sword before.

Is it just because she's careful?

No, there's something more to it than that.

Something Like a Sword has no hilt. She grasps it and it does not cut her, in spite of the fact that cutting is all it knows. Maybe-

"Maybe you need to get really good at only cutting the thing that you want to cut?" Lapis suggests as she hops up the stairs two at a time. "'cuz if you learn how to do that then you don't have to worry about cutting yourself by mistake!"

Easy!

"Or anyone else by mistake, either! Like Mister Wenomir he can cut things without hurting them even a little bit and they just go to sleep instead. And I bought this new Talent I really want to show you it's so cool! Do you think maybe I can borrow your toy sword it works better with a sword but I don't think it has to be a real one."

Lapis is really excited about showing off her new Talent. It isn't a real sword AND she doesn't have to draw Something Like a Sword to use it so she won't be breaking any rules.

28. - Top - End - #88

[Visiting Alchemist]

"Ah, I read too much into him hiring you then." Silly Cessie, expecting people to just hire one another due to connections rather than competence.

Thankfully, Ambrosia speaks up again so Dorota won't read too much into that. "Well, sounds like promising avenues of exploration. I guess it's just a matter of finding them and arranging some manner of expedition, correct?"

[Midsummer's Eve]

"You'll see once we lit the fire." Cessie promises Lapis with a mysterious smile. "Just hold on to it and please don't eat it again. It's not very healthy." Especially as it might give the other children ideas...
    Cessie then turns to her own children. "But why don't you introduce Lapis to the Frescots? I'm sure they would love to get to know her better." She gestures towards the table where they're all sitting.

29. - Top - End - #89

[Midsummer's Eve]

Lapis gives Cessie a suspicious look.

Then she flashes one at her mom, too.

Zee responds by acting one hundred percent innocent and not even a little bit in on what might be going down.

But then Lapis is getting distracted by other children.

"I already know the Frescots Miss Cessie we found turtles," Lapis explains as the other children join them. "Midsummer is the longest day of the year? That's the only thing I know I guess sometimes there are magic things and there are some bad faeries that like it but-"

"But there won't be any bad faeries here," Zee confirms.

And then important subjects are raised! Lapis goes jogging off toward the other children now that Cora has been freed from greeting duty.

"So Anika told me that birds aren't allowed at VIGIL so I was chasing them away but there was this boss bird that said 'hoopoe' all the time and I tried to chase it but it wouldn't leave so I decided to catch it instead and I DID but then it disappeared and left this duck behind!"

She holds up the duck!

It is made of wood.

And painted in a fashion that makes it look reasonably like a real duck.

But it is a bit charred and the paint is blistered in places. Like someone tossed it into a fire and the pulled it out pretty quick.

"Anika said I had to bring the duck to the party but I dunno why I think Cessie and Mother know but they won't tell me is that a wood turtle I love it!"

Aaaand now she's headed toward the walking tortoise toy.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Midsummer's Eve

See, Sylvess? This is why Spako didn't want the hatchlings to have even more complicated names. Kids already can't handle their shortened names! Just imagine if he had introduced Imbaeris as Imbaerisendovalrenn?
    "Hello Laurana. It's very nice to meet your family. Will you introduce me to them? I don't really know many people here but I think you might know my bosses, Miss Mithar and Mister Wenomir. They invited me." he says to her.
    "If you promise to be very careful I can give you a ride. I'm tall though so you have to promise to use the strap because it would hurt if you fell off." offers the dragon.