New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

[Midsummer's Eve]

What an interesting idea, this Midsummer celebration. VIGIL doesn't do things like this. So what inspired Cessie to invite these children here? Is the lack of an appropriate Hestopian society here getting to her? That's the sort of thing Arlem is wondering while walking up to the gate at the Keep.

Today, the shapeshifter chooses to appear as a cheery human woman with long blue hair, but has her mask and bundle of holy symbols at her belt to announce her identity.

At her side is a little boy who is looking wide-eyed at the keep and all the people here. He's a fox-person with white fur, silver eyes, and normally pointy ears - features which don't usually go together.

"Hello Commander Mithar We appreciate the invitation."
    "Ziselle, would you like to say hello?"

The boy hesitates a moment and then waves to Cessie and her kids. "Hi! Nice to meet you."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-07-01 at 10:07 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

[Visiting Alchemist]

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    "Ah, I read too much into him hiring you then." Silly Cessie, expecting people to just hire one another due to connections rather than competence.

Thankfully, Ambrosia speaks up again so Dorota won't read too much into that. "Well, sounds like promising avenues of exploration. I guess it's just a matter of finding them and arranging some manner of expedition, correct?"
    "Presumably. Of course, an expedition to meet the giants wouldn't be a small undertaking. Or an entirely safe one. But I would have said the same about creating a golem once," Dorota says.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Freedom! Cora seizes the opportunity. "Come on." Cora urges, grabbing Lapis and Laela and pulling them away from the gate before her mom changes her mind. The others will have to follow, which Bastion does (far less urgently).

"What's a bird got a wood duck for?" Cora asks, continuing their conversation away from the gate. That's definitely not normal bird stuff.

"It must've been a magic bird." Bastion adds helpfully.

Meanwhile at the gate, Jillian hasn't immediately left with her siblings. "But mommy, there's more people coming." Jillian looks at the latest arrivals and waves.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Cessie gives Cora and Bastion a wave as they run off before turning to her youngest. "Yes, but I know you don't want to greet everyone and I know how difficult it would be to make you now that all your friends are here." She tries to explain before she turns to Arlem.

Someone who she doesn't recognize at first. But as she recalls not inviting a blue-haired woman of that apperance she quickly realizes who it must be. "...ah, Alrem. Welcome. You have to excuse me, I didn't recognize you at first." For obvious reasons she hopes.
    Then she turns her attention to the boy. She hadn't even been aware that Arlem had a child until just recently but she still couldn't help but wonder who the other parent was, if there even was one. Could Arlem just create new children?

Well, however he came to be, she hoped this one wouldn't prove as unnerving as their parent. "But look at you, hello Ziselle." She waves at him and then crotches down besides her daughter. "Why don't you introduce yourself?"

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"Oh, but you will grow to become so big, ladybug. All of you will. Maybe even bigger than me!" She had no doubt Bastion and Cora would at least. Jillian had more human features though so she wasn't so sure about her. "Then how am I supposed to carry you?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"I dunno Anika said bosses have tokens that you can trade for neat things. I asked Mother about it and she said that's a different Game and not to worry about it," Lapis says as she's hauled away from the terrible fate of greeting people at the gate forever. "Bastion's right it WAS a magic bird! It disappears when people don't look at it and maybe other things, too. I think maybe it's just a bird-shaped thing but not really a bird?"

Lapis isn't sure if the cloud analogy works here.

She really loves that analogy it's a good one.

"I love that wooden turtle where did you get it?"
    Lapis inquires, pointing at the toy several of the younger Frescots are riding around on.

Clearly Lapis is weighing the possibility of acquiring a wooden turtle. Would it be able to follow her around? Or does it just wander until it bumps into things? These are mysteries that require investigation.

Meanwhile!

Zee waves to Cessie and heads off to get ready for the big surprise.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    The rabbit smiles a little as Sakura chides Cern for his manners, doing her best to follow each and every indication while the woman does the work of introductions for her. "I hope you'll let it slide if it takes me a little bit to learn all of your names when there's so many to remember, but I look forward to getting to know each and every one of you!" Calanthe gives them a friendly smile and tilts her head to Sarget, a little surprised but a bit too focused on the job to be flustered. "I'm not sure when I'll start, but I'll be here to help for anything you might need, whether it be a scraped elbow or someone to play catch."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Interview]

Adir folds his arms, smiling proudly over his children. This is good. He thinks Calanthe is gonna be a really good fit.

"Oh," says Cern. "So you can't come and play?"

"Yeah, come play!" squeaks the one Sakura called Cassie.

"Easy, kids," says Adir. "We have some more things to talk about first. But then maybe, if Calanthe wants..." He looks at the rabbit. It would be nice if she interacted with them some more. Or at least stayed for dinner. They'll have to see.
    [The Interview]

"Now kids, let's not overwhelm her." Sakura warns, heading off the cascade she can see coming. The kids should be familiar with the warning, too. It wouldn't be the first time that someone interesting was swarmed. It's important they be reminded of boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover!]

Lapis shall follow her friends up the stairs, considering their problem.

Swords are sharp and dangerous.

This is true.

But Lapis hasn't ever hurt herself with her sword before.

Is it just because she's careful?

No, there's something more to it than that.

Something Like a Sword has no hilt. She grasps it and it does not cut her, in spite of the fact that cutting is all it knows. Maybe-

"Maybe you need to get really good at only cutting the thing that you want to cut?" Lapis suggests as she hops up the stairs two at a time. "'cuz if you learn how to do that then you don't have to worry about cutting yourself by mistake!"

Easy!

"Or anyone else by mistake, either! Like Mister Wenomir he can cut things without hurting them even a little bit and they just go to sleep instead. And I bought this new Talent I really want to show you it's so cool! Do you think maybe I can borrow your toy sword it works better with a sword but I don't think it has to be a real one."

Lapis is really excited about showing off her new Talent. It isn't a real sword AND she doesn't have to draw Something Like a Sword to use it so she won't be breaking any rules.
    [Mithar Sleepover!]

"Well that's just not hitting the thing you don't wanna cut." A not insignificant part of her training revolves around only cutting what you want to cut. She knows this. "My sword's in our room." She points upward.

"We have to go up more stairs." Bastion explains. "All our rooms are on the third floor."

And up they go, without any real traversal of the second floor being necessary. The space is a bit more enclosed up here, but only relative to the vaulting ceilings and balconies surrounding the room below. They head down a corridor, take a turn,a nd soon enough Bastion is pushing open a door into their room. It's quite a large room, with two beds and two wardrobes being the prominent features. The room is quite tidy actually, presumably with things stowed away in the wardrobes or the big trunk between the beds. There are a few items to be seen sitting out, though, like a collection of figurines on the far windowsill, a staff propped against one wardrobe, and a row of books prominently featured on a shelf over the trunk.

Cora heads over toward the less neatly made of the two beds and grabs the short, wooden sword off it. She holds it aloft and turns back to Lapis. "Got it!"

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"Oh, but you will grow to become so big, ladybug. All of you will. Maybe even bigger than me!" She had no doubt Bastion and Cora would at least. Jillian had more human features though so she wasn't so sure about her. "Then how am I supposed to carry you?"
    "What? Bigger than you?" Jillian looks down at the ground. That's pretty big. She considers that, and accepts her mom's premise. "But I'm not that big yet." She argues.

7. - Top - End - #97

Spoiler
    Show
    [The Interview]

Adir folds his arms, smiling proudly over his children. This is good. He thinks Calanthe is gonna be a really good fit.

"Oh," says Cern. "So you can't come and play?"

"Yeah, come play!" squeaks the one Sakura called Cassie.

"Easy, kids," says Adir. "We have some more things to talk about first. But then maybe, if Calanthe wants..." He looks at the rabbit. It would be nice if she interacted with them some more. Or at least stayed for dinner. They'll have to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [The Interview]

"Now kids, let's not overwhelm her." Sakura warns, heading off the cascade she can see coming. The kids should be familiar with the warning, too. It wouldn't be the first time that someone interesting was swarmed. It's important they be reminded of boundaries.

The Interview

Calanthe can't help but stifle a slightly nervous giggle with one of her gloved hands as Sakura steps forward to keep the kids from getting into too eager of a clamor. Having all of them start to ask her would certainly be a little intimidating, but kept at this level it's really quite adorable. "Well, perhaps once I'm free from the demands of your mother and father... we can see about playing together," she promises.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

8. - Top - End - #98

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"Yeah!" Lapis agrees brightly.

A beat.

"Kind of? Only hitting what you want to cut is hard sometimes but there are some cool tricks for it. I was talking to an adventurer at VIGIL who has lots of swords about swords and she said she was a master of the art of cutting and that a cut has to be-"

Lapis does her best to mimic a grizzled old war hero voice.

"-Swift and decisive, without hesitation or doubt. A pure motion."

Sounds esoteric. There are some weird people at VIGIL.

Regardless! Lapis will scamper up the stairs behind them. "How come your house is so big? What're all the other rooms for?"

Lapis' 'house' is just one room big enough for her to fit in when she sleeps.

But then the exciting part! Her friends' room! With beds! And books! And neat tiny people! She loves all of it but she loves Cora's sword most of all. She shrugs off her pokemon backpack and reaches inside and pulls out-

A leaf!

Maybe from a hawthorn tree? It isn't very big.

"I've been practicing on cutting leaves," Lapis explains as she holds out one hand to borrow Cora's sword.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Halfling in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Laela and Lucy fall in with the other kids as naturally as breathing, trundling along through Cessie's vast courtyard. If Lapis is leading, then they probably all end up heading toward the tortoise.

At the mention of the hoopoe bird, Laela simply looks incredulous. "Did that really happen? That sounds too weird even for where we live."

When they get close to the other kids, Lucy scoffs a bit. "Yeah the turtle is pretty cool. It's too slow though."

___

"Uh huh! Cessie is my auntie!" Laurana tells Spako. Her eyes get big when he offers a ride. "Uh... okay!"

And ride over she will. Much to her father's chagrin when he turns around and sees. "Laurie!" frowns the antlered man. "It's not polite to ride on people!"

"But he saaaid!"

[The Interview]

A little collective cheer goes up from most of the kids. Excellent. Mom can't keep them away from this new, interesting person forever!

"Yeah, how about we get the boring stuff squared away first?" Adir suggests, inviting Calanthe back inside.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2021-07-05 at 08:53 AM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #100

Default [Midsummer's Eve]

"Perfectly understandable."

"Felina sends her regrets at not being able to attend, but she was needed at the temple." Arlem might well have the ability to just create children, but he hasn't tried. That could go so very wrong. Ziselle came about the normal way.

And, luckily for Cessie, he is too young to steal anyone's face or thoughts! He's just exclaiming that "There's so many different people here."
    Then when she encourages Jillian to say something, he offers "I'm Ziselle; who are you?" while glancing at the girl's horns.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-07-05 at 04:15 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Midsummer's Eve

Spako ambles over to Adir, laying down flat so Laurana can get off.
    "It's quite alright, Mister Frescot. I did offer. (The release for the strap is on the left, Laurana).
    I can assure you that I am quite equipped for this today."
    Spako grins between Adir and his harness. Hiedie the gold hatchling squirms in her pouch but does not escape for now.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Jillian turns toward Ziselle and gives him a bow. "My name is Jillian. Nice to meet you." She straightens again and smiles. "Welcome to our home."

"It was at Vigil, Lucy. That's where adventures happen." Cora says confidently. She looks almost wistful. She wants such adventure. Lapis is so lucky.

[The Interview]

Sakura ruffles Cern's flowers and backs away toward the door behind the others. She gives her kids a little wave before turning away.

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"There's lots of rooms. I can't tell you about all of them. We can see some later, though." Bastion suggests pragmatically.

Cora looks contemplative about this other Vigil sword person. She's going to have to find out more. In the meantime, though, she holds out her sword for Lapis to take. It's a simple toy, made of two pieces of wood skillfully carved and attached together. The blade is covered in all kinds of dings and dents from years of misuse.

13. - Top - End - #103

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"How come you can't tell me about all of them are they a secret?" Lapis asks curiously. "There are some secret things at VIGIL too like I'm not supposed to go into the Battered Shield 'cuz it's only for grownups."

What secrets could it contain?

What fantastic mysteries could that small building hold?

It certainly smells nice in there.

Lapis carefully and respectfully takes the sword, admiring it for what it is. It kind of reminds her of the practice swords at VIGIL, but those swords aren't so obviously loved. That's an important thing about swords, Lapis thinks. They have to be important. If a sword isn't important to you then it must not be an important sword, right? And all the best swords are important ones! Like Mister Wenomir's sword that kind of reminds Lapis of Mother. With her other hand Lapis reaches into her bag and withdraws a leaf. She'll show it to her friends because-

"See? It's just a normal leaf, right?" she says before closing her fingers around it.

Then she holds out her hand and raises the sword above her head.

There's a... shimmer.

A slight distortion around Cora's sword.

When viewing the room through it everything is offset vertically by a few inches, as though all the world had been divided asunder.

Then Lapis brings the sword down on her hand with all of her might!

Swift and decisive, without hesitation or doubt.

A pure motion.

The sword passes through her hand without touching it.

Her fingers unfurl.

In her palm is the leaf.

Neatly cut in two.

"Isn't that SO COOL!? I love it, it's the best," Lapis says, grinning like a fool.

[Midsummer's Eve]

"It really happened! I've got the duck and everything," Lapis insists, once more holding the duck aloft to prove her point. "You can ask Miss Cessie I brought the bird to her after I caught it 'cuz that's where Anika told me to bring it."

Though at the mention of adventures Lapis doesn't look anywhere near as wistful as Cora. "There aren't THAT many adventures I mostly just pull weeds and trim bushes so it looks nice. But I did get to go on this adventure one time with Makuro and Quin (he's a robot I think?) to this spooky forest that a bad faerie did a bad thing to and we made it normal again and saved a village!"

Most of a village.

Lapis doesn't mention the not-saved parts because it was gross and sad.

"Also there was a river that had been turned into a snake and it wanted to just be a river again I guess? But Mister Wenomir and Miss Cessie haven't let me go on an adventure since then and I'm so bored."

It's just the worst.

"Can I ride the turtle?" she asks as she draws near.

14. - Top - End - #104

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"Well, I can't carry your sister or brother around anymore you know and you're not that far from their size." Her mother argues.

[Midsummer's Eve]

Speaking of birds, a particularly big one can be seen flying over the keep and suddenly takes a dive towards the courtyard. It lands right next to the kids and the turtle before turning into, who else, Anika. She's dressed in an unusual outfit though. The kids who've met her before have certainly never seen her in this. "I'm here!" The druid exclaims with her arms raised in the air.

Then she waves at Natharia. "Heeeey!" It seems like she's just greeting her niece though, perhaps mercifully staying back with the other babies (as Shanti would put it).

Cessie, who was about to make some sort of comment, get momentarily distracted by something so large landing so close to the kids. But she quickly choose to ignore it once she realizes who it is and turns to Arlem and their child. "Yes, welcome to our home." She remarks, repeating her daughters words.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-07-08 at 09:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105

[Midsummer's Eve]

Lapis' expression lights up when she spots the incoming bird!

She knows that bird.

It's a very familiar bird to her, the bird that she doesn't ever have to worry about chasing away when it lands at VIGIL!

"Anika!" she squeals with delight at the sight of her grownup friend. "Anika Lucy doesn't believe that there was a boss bird you've gotta tell her it was real."

Lapis feels this is a very important point.

Her friends need to be aware of the dangers of boss birds and how cool Lapis is for catching one.

The fact that Anika is wearing a different outfit than usual is basically lost on Lapis.

Clothes don't matter that much, anyway.

16. - Top - End - #106

Out for a Hike

It's been a few days since Calanthe's started helping out around the Frescot household, and today is a special day - for once she's trying something a little different, heading out to take a brief little tour through the forest. The rabbit's gotten up bright and early, her usually somewhat flowy skirts pinned somewhat higher and paired with rugged brown hiking boots. She waits for Sakura and the kids to show up, looking a little more chipper than usual.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

17. - Top - End - #107

[Midsummer's Eve]

Dad

Laurana flops over to one side of her new friend and erupts in a fit of giggles. She scrambles up and hoofs it over to her father, standing by his leg. The man puts his hand on her head, sighing in relief. "Okay. I just didn't want them to bother you. My kids can get a little... excited about new things and creatures. I'd still be careful offering yourself up, too." He grins. "I guess you already know my name? But you can stick to Adir, if you like."

The man looks down at Spako's hatchlings. "How old are yours?"

Babs

"They won't let you go on more adventures? How come?" Laela asks Lapis. She wants to hear more. And she wouldn't mind hearing about different ones! She's not far off from Cora, it seems.

"You'll have to ask them if you want to ride the turtle," Lucy points out, indicating the deer-legged girl and the rose-headed boy still straddling the wooden creature (which is really more of a tortoise).

Russell, the boy, is in the lead. He swivels the tortoise towards them. Its eyes glow with a dull emerald hue. Russell seems to purse his lips as he considers Lapis' request. Before he can answer, a new attraction arrives in the form of a bird-turned-elf, and the Frescot children have their attention stolen once again. Various sounds of amazement rise from the assembly.

"Hey, it wasn't me," says Lucy, forking her thumb at Laela in the way she's seen her dad do. "Laela doesn't believe it."

"I didn't say that! I just asked if it really happened!"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Soon after Anika comes, someone else does. It appears to be... alright, it's obviously Wenomir. He couldn't properly disguise himself if he tried, and he didn't try very hard. He's wearing an eyepatch on his left eye and a rather ridiculous cape. It appears he volunteered to provide the children with a challenge to overcome in exchange for tokens.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

19. - Top - End - #109

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Okay. Bye Jillian." It's too bad that she has to wait at the gate with her mother. That must be boring when there's magic turtles and giant transforming birds and dragons and everything else that's here.
    Ziselle hurries into the courtyard, with Arlem trailing behind him.
    It looks like that girl there was riding a dragon which is clearly the coolest thing you can do, so that's who he's approaching.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Midsummer's Eve

"Oh, only about eight months. It'll be a bit before they can join any of the festivities." At least a year, maybe. Dragons can walk and hunt and talk faster than humans but not that fast.
    Spako's back is turned to Ziselle and he does not notice the pair approaching.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

[Midsummer's Eve]

"It really happened! I've got the duck and everything," Lapis insists, once more holding the duck aloft to prove her point. "You can ask Miss Cessie I brought the bird to her after I caught it 'cuz that's where Anika told me to bring it."

Though at the mention of adventures Lapis doesn't look anywhere near as wistful as Cora. "There aren't THAT many adventures I mostly just pull weeds and trim bushes so it looks nice. But I did get to go on this adventure one time with Makuro and Quin (he's a robot I think?) to this spooky forest that a bad faerie did a bad thing to and we made it normal again and saved a village!"

Most of a village.

Lapis doesn't mention the not-saved parts because it was gross and sad.

"Also there was a river that had been turned into a snake and it wanted to just be a river again I guess? But Mister Wenomir and Miss Cessie haven't let me go on an adventure since then and I'm so bored."

It's just the worst.

"Can I ride the turtle?" she asks as she draws near.
    [Midsummer's Eve]

Speaking of birds, a particularly big one can be seen flying over the keep and suddenly takes a dive towards the courtyard. It lands right next to the kids and the turtle before turning into, who else, Anika. She's dressed in an unusual outfit though. The kids who've met her before have certainly never seen her in this. "I'm here!" The druid exclaims with her arms raised in the air.

Then she waves at Natharia. "Heeeey!" It seems like she's just greeting her niece though, perhaps mercifully staying back with the other babies (as Shanti would put it).
    [Midsummer's Eve]

Lapis' expression lights up when she spots the incoming bird!

She knows that bird.

It's a very familiar bird to her, the bird that she doesn't ever have to worry about chasing away when it lands at VIGIL!

"Anika!" she squeals with delight at the sight of her grownup friend. "Anika Lucy doesn't believe that there was a boss bird you've gotta tell her it was real."

Lapis feels this is a very important point.

Her friends need to be aware of the dangers of boss birds and how cool Lapis is for catching one.

The fact that Anika is wearing a different outfit than usual is basically lost on Lapis.

Clothes don't matter that much, anyway.
    [Midsummer's Eve]

Babs

"They won't let you go on more adventures? How come?" Laela asks Lapis. She wants to hear more. And she wouldn't mind hearing about different ones! She's not far off from Cora, it seems.

"You'll have to ask them if you want to ride the turtle," Lucy points out, indicating the deer-legged girl and the rose-headed boy still straddling the wooden creature (which is really more of a tortoise).

Russell, the boy, is in the lead. He swivels the tortoise towards them. Its eyes glow with a dull emerald hue. Russell seems to purse his lips as he considers Lapis' request. Before he can answer, a new attraction arrives in the form of a bird-turned-elf, and the Frescot children have their attention stolen once again. Various sounds of amazement rise from the assembly.

"Hey, it wasn't me," says Lucy, forking her thumb at Laela in the way she's seen her dad do. "Laela doesn't believe it."

"I didn't say that! I just asked if it really happened!"
    "Hi Anika!" Cora turns and steps toward the night elf, totally abandoning the prior conversation in her eagerness to greet her other friend. "I never knew you were coming too!" Whether or not Cessie had actually mentioned it. "Are you helping with the games?"

Bastion sighs and shakes his head. He knows the answer to both those questions already.

Meanwhile Natharia gives Anika an uncertain wave and then glances back at her mom. "She's up to something weird isn't she?"

[Midsummer's Eve]

Cessie, who was about to make some sort of comment, get momentarily distracted by something so large landing so close to the kids. But she quickly choose to ignore it once she realizes who it is and turns to Arlem and their child. "Yes, welcome to our home." She remarks, repeating her daughters words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Midsummer's Eve]

"Okay. Bye Jillian." It's too bad that she has to wait at the gate with her mother. That must be boring when there's magic turtles and giant transforming birds and dragons and everything else that's here.
    Ziselle hurries into the courtyard, with Arlem trailing behind him.
    It looks like that girl there was riding a dragon which is clearly the coolest thing you can do, so that's who he's approaching.
    "Oh... bye." Jillian looks forlornly after the other kid who's now leaving! But she was just introducing herself... She looks up at her mom with a pleading look, apparently forgetting that Cessie had just said moments ago that Jillian is free to go play now.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2021-07-20 at 09:27 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112

[Midsummer's Eve]

Cessie would have to agree with Jillian, that felt rather abrupt.
    She still nods to the two as they enter but then turns to her daughter. "Why don't you join the others, Ladybug? Lucy must be eager to see you now."

Anika turns to the kids, placing her hands on her hips as she leans down to talk to them. "Oh, the boss bird isn't just real. It's still out there. Lapis and I tried to catch it for weeks as it kept spying on VIGIL. It was only when Lapis managed to disguse herself as a tree she finally could catch it." She suddenly cups her hands in the air as if she had just caught something. "But when she was presenting it to C-command..." She slowly opens her hands only to display the fact there's nothing there. "...it was gone." The druid looks into each kids eyes in turn. "While she had managed to defeat it, it might still come for you other kids so watch out."

Then she turns to Cora and nods. "Yep! I'm going to be playing one of the bosses you're going to have to beat today. Think you're up for that?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-07-20 at 11:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113

[Midsummer's Eve]

Lapis looks smug and self congratulatory as Anika tells the terrifying tale of the barbarous BOSS BIRD.

SEEE?

It was totally a real thing that happened, Laela.

At the talk of games Lapis perks up, turtle rides temporarily forgotten.

"There's going to be GAMES!?" she squeaks in adorable glee. "I love games they're my big favorite! What sort of games are we playing?"

Hopefully not sports ball or frisbee.

She has done those with the Frescots before and was not-great at all of them.

The first time she tried throwing a frisbee she SPORTS!ed it straight into the ground.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"How come you can't tell me about all of them are they a secret?" Lapis asks curiously. "There are some secret things at VIGIL too like I'm not supposed to go into the Battered Shield 'cuz it's only for grownups."

What secrets could it contain?

What fantastic mysteries could that small building hold?

It certainly smells nice in there.

Lapis carefully and respectfully takes the sword, admiring it for what it is. It kind of reminds her of the practice swords at VIGIL, but those swords aren't so obviously loved. That's an important thing about swords, Lapis thinks. They have to be important. If a sword isn't important to you then it must not be an important sword, right? And all the best swords are important ones! Like Mister Wenomir's sword that kind of reminds Lapis of Mother. With her other hand Lapis reaches into her bag and withdraws a leaf. She'll show it to her friends because-

"See? It's just a normal leaf, right?" she says before closing her fingers around it.

Then she holds out her hand and raises the sword above her head.

There's a... shimmer.

A slight distortion around Cora's sword.

When viewing the room through it everything is offset vertically by a few inches, as though all the world had been divided asunder.

Then Lapis brings the sword down on her hand with all of her might!

Swift and decisive, without hesitation or doubt.

A pure motion.

The sword passes through her hand without touching it.

Her fingers unfurl.

In her palm is the leaf.

Neatly cut in two.

"Isn't that SO COOL!? I love it, it's the best," Lapis says, grinning like a fool.
    [Mithar Sleepover!]

There's a moment of stunned silence as both the kids comprehend what they saw.

"Whaaat?" Cora grabs Lapis's hand to look at the leaf in it. "How'd you do that?"

Bastion, meanwhile, looks worried. "Did you bring something sharp? We're gonna be in big trouble if mommy finds out."

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"Well, I can't carry your sister or brother around anymore you know and you're not that far from their size." Her mother argues.
    Jillian frowns. "But I like being carried." She protests.

Out for a Hike

It's been a few days since Calanthe's started helping out around the Frescot household, and today is a special day - for once she's trying something a little different, heading out to take a brief little tour through the forest. The rabbit's gotten up bright and early, her usually somewhat flowy skirts pinned somewhat higher and paired with rugged brown hiking boots. She waits for Sakura and the kids to show up, looking a little more chipper than usual.
    [Out for a Hike]

It's almost impossible not to get up bright and early in the Frescot household, so Calanthe's party is ready to go. Sakura is the adult of this excursion, wearing a typical dress and no shoes at all. Calanthe has likely noticed that she's never seen the dryad wear shoes, actually. Following behind her as she approaches are not one, not two, but three little girls, each nearly identical to the last. Laurana, Cassie, and 'Blue'. Calanthe has been forewarned that Sakura intends for this to be a bonding exercise for the former duo now trio.

"Good morning!" Sakura greets with a warm smile for the nanny. "What do you have in store for us today?"

25. - Top - End - #115

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Lapis' hand is grabbed! It is unharmed.

Unlike the leaf.

The leaf is still cut in two.

Cora can even poke the two halves to make sure it isn't a trick.

"So I met this nice cherub in one of the tutorials and he said I should try upgrading my spheres more even if I wanted to just do stuff with swords,"
    Lapis explains in a fashion that is likely one hundred percent incomprehensible. "And then I met that cut-master at VIGIL and listened to what she was talking about and so I started wondering if maybe there's a Talent that can do things like she was doing since she showed me the leaf-cutting trick AND THERE WAS! There's this Talent called Law of Blades and it lets me do cool cutting things so long as I've got something that's like a sword."

Lapis will allow Cora to take the leaves to examine them more closely if she wants.

"And I know you don't get Talents Cora but there must be a way for anyone to learn how to do this since that's what the cut-master said she said anyone who devotes themselves to the art of cutting can learn to divide many things," Lapis continues to ramble breathlessly. "No I didn't bring anything sharp with me Bastion it's like a trick, right, sort of like how you and Cora can breath stuff."

Lapis would NEVER break a rule like that! She's no unruly lawbreaker!

Cessie said she couldn't bring her sword and Mother said she couldn't draw her Something Like a Sword and she didn't do EITHER of those things!

"I've been practicing a lot with leaves but don't start by holding them in your hand otherwise you'll probably hit your hand a few times first and that really hurts," Lapis warns since that's a thing she learned from experiance.

26. - Top - End - #116

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"As I said, as much as I like carrying you I simply won't be able to once you get older. Just look at Lucy, Sakura doesn't carry around her much more does she?" Cessie argues, though in Lucy's case all her hair probably contributed to Sakura wanting to get used to not being carried. It all got rather heavy after all.

27. - Top - End - #117

[Midsummer's Eve]

Dad

"Only eight months? They're already so big!" Adir looks at Spako's babies with wide eyes. Gods, he's glad Sakura doesn't make them that big. Or so many at once. They'd eat him out of house and home. Well, more than they already do.

And here comes another one. Seeing Ziselle toddle up, Laurana swivels to peer at them. "Hi," she drawls, sing-song. "I'm Laurana." Introducing herself, just like mom and dad taught.

Babs

The Frescot kids look at one another warily, dropping into whispers as they discuss the boss bird.

"What? We have to beat you?" Lucy is all for games, but how is she supposed to beat Anika at anything? She's best at races, but Anika has the biggest legs she's ever seen and can turn into a bird, too.

"Wenomir?" Laela is the first to acknowledge the warrior's appearance. His... odd appearance. She might be slightly old for these shenanigans. Or at least she thinks she is. "What happened to your eye?"

Oh no. It looks like Cassie and Russell have already started to take interest in something else... they've turned about and are escaping! Very slowly! On the back of their tortoise!
    Last edited by Murkus; 2021-07-24 at 04:54 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Out for a Hike]

It's almost impossible not to get up bright and early in the Frescot household, so Calanthe's party is ready to go. Sakura is the adult of this excursion, wearing a typical dress and no shoes at all. Calanthe has likely noticed that she's never seen the dryad wear shoes, actually. Following behind her as she approaches are not one, not two, but three little girls, each nearly identical to the last. Laurana, Cassie, and 'Blue'. Calanthe has been forewarned that Sakura intends for this to be a bonding exercise for the former duo now trio.

"Good morning!" Sakura greets with a warm smile for the nanny. "What do you have in store for us today?"
    Out For a Hike

The bunny beams at the three of them, adjusting the wide-brimmed hat on her head as her ears seem to perk up. "Well, I was thinking we could go out for a little walk through the woods! You have some great access to them after all, it would feel like a bit of a waste for us not to see what we can see out there every once and a while." Calanthe turns to the kids, an excited glimmer in her eyes. "Who knows, maybe I can find some cool things out there that you three have never really noticed before.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"It's a sad story, Laela." Wenomir takes on a somber mood that wouldn't fool an adult for a second. He has prepared for being asked that. "I lost a duel to a great spear-master. And it meant she could give me a quest. Which was to wear this eyepatch and not to take it off until I've let some daring kids win prizes from me on this festival."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"You're giving us a challenge?" Cora's eyes light up. That sounds like lots of fun. Then she swhirls around when she hears Wenooomir's voice! "Hi Wenomir!!! You have a challenge too?"

[Mithar Sleepover!]

Lapis' hand is grabbed! It is unharmed.

Unlike the leaf.

The leaf is still cut in two.

Cora can even poke the two halves to make sure it isn't a trick.

"So I met this nice cherub in one of the tutorials and he said I should try upgrading my spheres more even if I wanted to just do stuff with swords,"
    Lapis explains in a fashion that is likely one hundred percent incomprehensible. "And then I met that cut-master at VIGIL and listened to what she was talking about and so I started wondering if maybe there's a Talent that can do things like she was doing since she showed me the leaf-cutting trick AND THERE WAS! There's this Talent called Law of Blades and it lets me do cool cutting things so long as I've got something that's like a sword."

Lapis will allow Cora to take the leaves to examine them more closely if she wants.

"And I know you don't get Talents Cora but there must be a way for anyone to learn how to do this since that's what the cut-master said she said anyone who devotes themselves to the art of cutting can learn to divide many things," Lapis continues to ramble breathlessly. "No I didn't bring anything sharp with me Bastion it's like a trick, right, sort of like how you and Cora can breath stuff."

Lapis would NEVER break a rule like that! She's no unruly lawbreaker!

Cessie said she couldn't bring her sword and Mother said she couldn't draw her Something Like a Sword and she didn't do EITHER of those things!

"I've been practicing a lot with leaves but don't start by holding them in your hand otherwise you'll probably hit your hand a few times first and that really hurts," Lapis warns since that's a thing she learned from experiance.
    [Mithar Sleepover!]

"But we're not allowed to breathe stuff inside either." Bastion presses.

"Stop being dumb, Bastion." Cora interjects. "I wanna here more about the cut-master. What's it mean divide many things? Who's the cut-master?" She rattles off while her brother crosses his arms in a huff.

[Mithar Sleepover!]

"As I said, as much as I like carrying you I simply won't be able to once you get older. Just look at Lucy, Sakura doesn't carry around her much more does she?" Cessie argues, though in Lucy's case all her hair probably contributed to Sakura wanting to get used to not being carried. It all got rather heavy after all.
    "I guess... But auntie Sakura has so many babies to hold. You don't have any babies." She points out. No babies except for her.

Out For a Hike

The bunny beams at the three of them, adjusting the wide-brimmed hat on her head as her ears seem to perk up. "Well, I was thinking we could go out for a little walk through the woods! You have some great access to them after all, it would feel like a bit of a waste for us not to see what we can see out there every once and a while." Calanthe turns to the kids, an excited glimmer in her eyes. "Who knows, maybe I can find some cool things out there that you three have never really noticed before.
    [Out For a Hike]

"We go out in the woods lots." Laurana chimes in.

"But only with mommy or daddy or grampa Sarget." Cassie adds. Sakura smiles proudly.

"What kinda stuff are we gonna see?" Laurana asks curiously. Calanthe has high expectations to live up to now.

Blue, meanwhile, remains quiet for the moment. She stays close to her mom while the other two crowd closer to Calanthe.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2021-07-27 at 11:06 PM.