New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover]

"OH! I've built forts before, I love it! What sort of fort should we build?"
    Lapis asks.

Now, strictly speaking, she's got plenty of materials for fort building.

But they're weird materials for fort building.

Or at least that's what's been confided in her by other children in the past.

Usually when kids build forts they use things like... Pillows.

And blankets.

And chairs.

Pillows and blankets and chairs, oh my!

Lapis begins looking around for any clearly superior building materials.
    [Mithar Sleepover]

"Well there's lots of cushions if we go get them all." Bastion explains. "We just have to put them back later or mommy will get mad."

Cora goes over to both the beds and drags the blankets off. "We need these for the roof."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Out For A Hike

"Precisely! Very good, Blue." Calanthe nods in beaming approval, giving just enough time for the young wallflower to feel a sense of praise without putting her in the spotlight. "In a way, fungi do the very same thing. Now, we are looking at a mushroom, correct? Well, believe it or not, this mushroom is not really the fungus - at least, not its true form. A mushroom is simply a reproductive body, like the flowers on a tree of the berries on a bush."

The true form of the fungus is actually what you might think of as the mushroom's roots - long, thin strands of material known as hyphae that weave and branch and grow through the soil beneath it, often so small that they are invisible to the eye. Together they form an expansive network called mycelium, serving as both body and root. So every mushroom and mold you see in this forest is really only a glimpse of an organism living in its own secret world under our feet, more vast than we realize, and yet often too small and fragile to dig up and behold."

That eager, joyful glint returns to Calanthe's eyes as she expounds upon this, and as she speaks, she can't keep the sense of fascination and wonder entirely out of her voice. How can one not feel intrigued by such a strange and enigmatic form of life so commonplace and easily found?
    [Out For A Hike]

The three kids look up at Calanthe with fascination. The enthusiasm she has is contagious. "But how?" Cassie asks. "It's just dirt under them. How're they so big?"

Sakura covers her mouth and stifles a giggle.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Out For A Hike

”Well,” the rabbit smiles, “for types of fungi such as those, it’s the very soil that ties into the ways they live.” Calanthe rises from her kneeling stance and gestures for the family to continue down along the path, sparing only a moment to dust the soil from her dress’s skirt.

”Many varieties of fungi are decomposers, breaking down dead matter and extracting nutrients left behind. Whenever something dies and the predators and scavengers have their fill, there’s always something left over that these creatures cannot break down into food. It’s then the decomposers find the things those before them deemed inedible, or that they processed out as waste. And all these insects, worms, bacteria and fungi find in them things that they can eat and break down into nutrients, whittling it all down into smaller and smaller pieces - until what once stood as the tallest tree becomes the very earth we walk upon.” A few dead leaves crunch underfoot as Calanthe gestures up and down to visually cement the journey and the contrast, letting the thought sink in.

“Except, when all our little friends go through and turn the sticks and skeletons into soil? Well, just like the predators that came before, there’s always nutrients and matter that they missed - and that’s what some of the mushrooms that you see are feeding on, breaking down the leftovers of the leftovers until all that’s left are minerals and nutrients that rooting plants need - and sometimes, fungi even work alongside them.”
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"You know what to do, then. Snatch this from my hand." Wenomir reaches out to Lucy with his hand. Now, if Wenomir wanted, none of the kids could snatch the stone. But he's put some thought into making it fair. He carefully measures his own breathing and if a child is fast enough to grab the stone before he's breathed twice, he won't stop them. Should they fail, after a certain amount of time he'll pretend to be distracted by something in the distance, giving them an opportunity to get it. He'll also be open to failing for feints and ruses to make him look away or not expect a grab.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Let's start with the questions asked at the statue, shall we?

As the kids admire the angel statue and ponder their questions aloud it speaks again. Though this time, it isn't a booming voice for all to hear. It's a still, small whisper that drifts past their ears.

Each champion has a token, including myself. When the challenges have been overcome the bounty will be revealed, comes the whisper drifting between the children. My trial is this; you must listen, remember, and obey. Follow my instructions diligently and you will find what you seek.

There's a pause, the star in the statue's hand flickering with warm sunlight.

Who among you will accept my quest first?

Lapis, meanwhile, is watching the contest between Wenomir and Lucy carefully.

She's got some ideas about how she can approach that challenge.

[Mithar Sleepover]

Ah.

The pillow fort.

"They aren't all in here, they're around the house?" Lapis asks. She's pretty sure she knows the answer already. "That means yo can tell me what all the rooms are for while we're getting the pillows!"

This is a great plan, Lapis loves it!

In the mean time she'll gather up any cushions that are in the twins' room first.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Okay but I'm gonna go do Wenomir's challenge first!" Cora calls over her shoulder to her mom unnecessarily loud before jogging over to were Wenomir and Lucy are standing. She stops in place and huffs a sigh when she realizes that Lucy got there for the challenge first. Though she's interested to watch. She best almost no one can best Wenomir.

Bastion, meanwhile, walks much more calmly over to the Zee statue. The boy thinks for a moment then steps forward. "I can do it." He claims. How it was described seems easy enough.

"So I guess I should go do one of them?" Natharia remarks to her mom. It looks like things are getting crowded already, though. How's she supposed to pick one to do first anyway?

6. - Top - End - #186

[Midsummer's Eve]

Anika continues inside the keep, just slowing down a little for the kids following her, and eventually arrive at what's supposed to be the laundry room.

However, as the kids enter they can see that the lights inside have been turned off and that black blankets are hanging off all the furniture inside the room (older kids might remember this being a part of the Mithar's spooktober decorations) expect for a small table in the middle where a black jar stands.

It's illuminated by candles that have been placed in a circle around it which also are the only source of illumination once Anika closes the door behind them. "So kids, are you sure you want to brave the.... JAR OF SERPENTS?" If this was a horror movie there would be a thunder clap as speaks this name.

Then she walks up to it and holds up a token which looks like a duck above it before letting it drop down into it. "Since it will be the only way you'll get this token." Then she let's a laugh that might make Natharia suddenly feel a strong urge to roll her eyes excessively despite not even being in the room.

"There might be other challenges too." Her mother looks around but can't see anything obvious. "But whoever you pick, be sure to tell them that since you're older you want more of a challenge."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-10-02 at 01:26 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Oh hoh!

Bastion is stepping up to the challenge, is he?

Listen and remember, for the steps you must take will only be spoken once, the voice whispers. Stretch out your hand toward the sky and grasp the light of the sun in your palm. Keep your fingers closed. Do not look at what you carry. Walk with the sun to your back until you find a tree wherein a red bird sings. Circle the tree four times and reach the light within your hand into its hollow and you will find your prize.

Well.

That sounds...

Weird.

Like just reach up and close his hand around the sun?

There's no way that would work, right?

Meanwhile!

Lapis is also watching Wenomir and Lucy carefully.

"Do you think she's just going to try to grab it really fast?" Lapis asks Cora. "I don't know if that'll work Mister Wenomir is REALLY fast."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Halfling in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Lucy waits... and waits! She's the fastest waiter there ever was! Yet she takes too long to grab the stone again, and misses the first snatch. Frustrated, she sets in to wait again when his hand is open again. The little girl looks very focused.

"Hey, Wenomir!"

Wenomir might not have to fake a distraction after all. Adir tries to bean him with a water balloon, apparently brought over on the sly by one of his other mischievous children. Now, Adir is fast, and his aim is impeccable, but there're good odds Wenomir is faster. Having to dodge, at least, might give any of the girls a chance. Or Wenomir can use it as his pretend 'distraction' (a much more convincing one!) and let one of them get it then. Lucy is certainly ready to spring, but who knows what Lapis and Cora will try?

Meanwhile...

Gwydion will step forward to the statue while his nearest siblings look on. "I-I will," he answers... but when Bastion volunteers, he looks at the other boy. "Uh, wanna try?" He asks, smiling.

Also meanwhile...

The two eldest, Laela and Cernunnos, follow Anika into the depths of the keep. They look at the jar skeptically. Cernunnos, seeing the actual snakes revealed, actually seems increasingly nervous.

"Come on, dummy, you know we don't have to be scared," Laela tells him.

"Y-yeah, easy for you to say," Cern replies, swallowing hard and tonguing the fangs that still sit wrong in his mouth.

With a sigh, Laela steps forward. She just giggles at Anika's antics. "You are having way too much fun with this, you know? You're like a big kid." She looks at the jar. "Are they real, live snakes? Or just some magic-y stuff?" What an odd question. Wonder why she needs to know that?
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Lucy thinks she's the fastest there is, so probably." Cora replies to Lapis. There's a critical tone there; largely because she knows that she's faster than Lucy. She's got short little kid legs after all.

"You're too slow, Gwydion." Bastion grins and giggles. Then he turns his attention to the challenge at hand. Seems... hm, okay. He looks upward and squints against the light. He knows well enough not to look right at the sun, but he can put his hand where the sun is and close it. Now he just turns around and walks?

Natharia frowns. "Alright." She assess her options. She sure wasn't gonna follow after her auntie, somout of the remaining two she heads towards Wenomir. Of course, there's a line...

Out For A Hike

”Well,” the rabbit smiles, “for types of fungi such as those, it’s the very soil that ties into the ways they live.” Calanthe rises from her kneeling stance and gestures for the family to continue down along the path, sparing only a moment to dust the soil from her dress’s skirt.

”Many varieties of fungi are decomposers, breaking down dead matter and extracting nutrients left behind. Whenever something dies and the predators and scavengers have their fill, there’s always something left over that these creatures cannot break down into food. It’s then the decomposers find the things those before them deemed inedible, or that they processed out as waste. And all these insects, worms, bacteria and fungi find in them things that they can eat and break down into nutrients, whittling it all down into smaller and smaller pieces - until what once stood as the tallest tree becomes the very earth we walk upon.” A few dead leaves crunch underfoot as Calanthe gestures up and down to visually cement the journey and the contrast, letting the thought sink in.

“Except, when all our little friends go through and turn the sticks and skeletons into soil? Well, just like the predators that came before, there’s always nutrients and matter that they missed - and that’s what some of the mushrooms that you see are feeding on, breaking down the leftovers of the leftovers until all that’s left are minerals and nutrients that rooting plants need - and sometimes, fungi even work alongside them.”
    [Out For A Hike]

Rather than follow in single file, the kids crowd around Calanthe now as they follow. There's a bit of chatter, but then a question is raised above the other voices. "Then what happens?"

Sakura follows behind the group, a grin on her lips. This is all too cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover]

Ah.

The pillow fort.

"They aren't all in here, they're around the house?" Lapis asks. She's pretty sure she knows the answer already. "That means yo can tell me what all the rooms are for while we're getting the pillows!"

This is a great plan, Lapis loves it!

In the mean time she'll gather up any cushions that are in the twins' room first.
    [Mithar Sleepover]

"Uh huh, we gotta grab them from all the seats." Bastion replies.

"Yeah we can show you the whole house!" Cora agrees readily.

"Not the whole house. That'll take way too long." Bastion seeks to temper Cora.

10. - Top - End - #190

[Midsummer's Eve]

Also meanwhile...

Anika blinks at Lealea's audacity. It wasn't the first time someone had called her a child. Shanti had called her that all the time when they were younger. But she was an adult now so she shouldn't have to take that from a child of all things!

"Am not!"

She had to come up with something better than that right now.

The druid clears her throat and continues her spiel. "I am a druid of the fan- fang. All serpents are at my beck and call." Anika proclaims as she gestures at the jar which causes all the snakes inside to hiss and wriggle around inside of it.

"And these, these serpents are all my familiars. They guard my most treasured artifacts, like the tokens you so desire." Her eyes flick in-between the challengers. All of them Frescots, eh? Well, she was going to give them an additional challenge then!
    "But as you're so confident that you can beat my guards then perhaps I too shall guard it." Her gaze fixes on Laela. "So, you think you're up for it then, young lady?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-10-06 at 01:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Wenomir is typically very focused and aware of his surroundings, but he doesn't exactly keep his guard up at a kids' party. And Adir hitting him with a water balloon wasn't high on the list of things he expected to occur. He ducks under the balloon, but Lucy will have a precious moment to snatch the stone.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #192

[Midsummer's Eve]

Giggling, Gwydion will mimic Bastion and try to do the same. Hey, why not? All the while he tries to hold all those instructions in his head.

___

Laela looks at Anika skeptically. That answer seems satisfactory... and unless Anika does physically intervene, Laela will try something. Namely she picks up the jar and simply tries to dump all the snakes out on the floor, presumably along with the token. Aiming it away from her, of course.

___

A chorus of awed gasps goes up from any of the Frescot kids watching - mostly the youngest twin girls and Russell. Even the latter boy lets out a little hushed noise when he sees how fast Wenomir is.

Lucy's eyes glitter. She is swift, and the aim of her hand is true! She tries to get it... and thrust it triumphantly above her head! "Ha!"

Adir pumps his fist towards his body. "Yes! That's my girl!"

The other babes cheer, for Lucy and Wenomir both.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2021-10-07 at 06:59 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Out For A Hike]

Rather than follow in single file, the kids crowd around Calanthe now as they follow. There's a bit of chatter, but then a question is raised above the other voices. "Then what happens?"

Sakura follows behind the group, a grin on her lips. This is all too cute.
    Out For A Hike

There's a very brief hint of surprise at the question that bubbles to the surface - it seems this wasn't quite what Calanthe expected to follow up on for them, but she pivots well and keeps the tempo of her lesson going excellently even so. "Why, the thing that always comes after decay - growth!" The lapin smiles. "Those hungry fungi spread and grow to seek out more and more to feed upon, and sprout up fruiting bodies like the mushrooms we all know so well to spread spores upon the wind. These spores find their way to new surfaces and, hopefully, land somewhere they can send through hyphae and start to grow anew."

"It's a simple cycle, but to keep it going many fungi do a wide variety of very strange and interesting things." Calanthe takes a moment to watch her footing around a group of gnarled roots and offers a hand to help each member of the group up and over, exchanging with Sakura a glimmering smile - she's just as happy to see the kids being so active and engaged.

"Take these, for example." Calanthe gestures towards a vibrant cluster of golden chantrelles springing from the grass nearby, their yellow funnels stretching up and curling over in disorganized and wavy shapes. "What do you think the fungus that grew these little beauties do that makes them special?"
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

14. - Top - End - #194

[Midsummer's Eve]

Nooo! Not the snakes!

Apparently, the respect animals had for the Frescot children wasn't mutual Anika observes as Laela just dumps out all the snakes on the floor before she can intervene.

"Hey!" Anika puts her hands on her hips and gives Laela a glare. She wasn't going to stop her but this was very rude!

"You can't- aren't all animals supposed to be friendly towards you kids?" She inquires as Laela presumably picks the token up as it landed on the floor along with all the snakes.

Then the druid have rushes over to make sure none of the snakes escape the room, starting to pick up any of the ones that's started to slinther away. It might be a while before anyone else can do this challenge and this time she should clarify some of the rules!

The oldest kid really was the worst one in all families!
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-10-08 at 05:58 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Wenomir gives Adir a knowing glance, before turning back to Lucy, a wide smile on his face. That's a victory, fair and square. No one said the kids can't trick him.

"Well done, Lucy. You've overcome my challenge. On to the next one, right?"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Cora puts her hands on her hips, noticeably disapproving! Tricks aren't the way to win this challenge! It's gotta be pure skill. She steps up boldly. "It's my turn now." She declares.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Alright, Cora. Just like during training, isn't it? Only with a rock instead of a sword." Wenomir winks. He'll have to take a different approach with Cora. She needs to see that she succeeded by her own skill.

18. - Top - End - #198

[Midsummer's Eve]

Sneks

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean I wanna feel around inside a big jar of them. Besides, a snake will bite you if it doesn't know what rubbing up against it. How's it supposed to be able to tell anything like that cooped up in a jar?" She waves her brother out of the room. "Come on Cern, let's bring the token back."

Lucy

Lucy will stand there for a moment, smiling back at Wenomir. "Yeah, on to the next one!" And as it happens, she probably runs inside to Anika, passing her siblings to reach the elvish lady.

"Hi!" she says cheerily. "Wow are you tall. Why are all dad's friends so tall?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Out For A Hike

There's a very brief hint of surprise at the question that bubbles to the surface - it seems this wasn't quite what Calanthe expected to follow up on for them, but she pivots well and keeps the tempo of her lesson going excellently even so. "Why, the thing that always comes after decay - growth!" The lapin smiles. "Those hungry fungi spread and grow to seek out more and more to feed upon, and sprout up fruiting bodies like the mushrooms we all know so well to spread spores upon the wind. These spores find their way to new surfaces and, hopefully, land somewhere they can send through hyphae and start to grow anew."

"It's a simple cycle, but to keep it going many fungi do a wide variety of very strange and interesting things." Calanthe takes a moment to watch her footing around a group of gnarled roots and offers a hand to help each member of the group up and over, exchanging with Sakura a glimmering smile - she's just as happy to see the kids being so active and engaged.

"Take these, for example." Calanthe gestures towards a vibrant cluster of golden chantrelles springing from the grass nearby, their yellow funnels stretching up and curling over in disorganized and wavy shapes. "What do you think the fungus that grew these little beauties do that makes them special?"
    [Out For A Hike]

The girls each accept the help over, and hop down more dramatically than necessary from the other side. Sakura gives Calanthe a broad smile when she looks her way. Mommy approves!

The three gather around the mushrooms Calanthe points out and crouch for a better look. "Mm... I dunno." Laurana gives up first. Cassie leans over the fungi and sniffs. "It smells nice." She remarks, not really answering the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Midsummer's Eve]

"Alright, Cora. Just like during training, isn't it? Only with a rock instead of a sword." Wenomir winks. He'll have to take a different approach with Cora. She needs to see that she succeeded by her own skill.
    [Midsummer's Eve]

"Yep!" Cora steps up in front of her teacher and takes a ready stance. Her feet are ready to move the instant she wills it. She meets his eye, waiting for his instruction to begin.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2021-10-31 at 08:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Wenomir looks Cora in the eye, also assuming a ready pose resembling his longsword stances more than what he presented to Lucy.

"Go," he says, to signal Cora to begin.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Cora acts immediately, trying to get the drop on Wenomir. She snatches at the stone as quickly as she can move.

22. - Top - End - #202

[Midsummer's Eve]

"But it was safe! Geez!" Laela was completely breaking the illusion of this, and she called her a child! A complete disaster!

If one of the next child would do the same thing Anika would probably throw in the towel as this wasn't working at all.

Speaking of which, the druid can barely put back all the snakes before the next one arrives. This was... uh, the long haired one. "Tall? Have you considered that you might be short? Your mom isn't particularly big you know." Anika kneels down before Lucy. "So what's your name? There's so many of you that I can barely keep track."

23. - Top - End - #203

[Midsummer's Eve]

Lucy giggles. "I guess sooo. But I'm still just a kid! I wanna be tall, like you!" She wants longer legs to run with. These were really just inconvenient most of the time. Too little!

Lucy extends her arms straight out to either side, as if she were doing a balancing act, and bows her head. Her huge length of pink petals flops forward. "I'm... Lucy!" She flips up and grins. "An' that's okay. Don't tell mom, but daddy even gets the twins mixed up sometimes."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Wenomir pulls his hand back quickly, but he slows down a bit as he pulls it back towards his chest. It's a test for Cora; he's seeing if she'll be quick enough to seize this opportunity. Just like during sword practice.

25. - Top - End - #205

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Lucy, eh?" Anika crosses her hands over her chest. "Well, hope you get more of your dad than your mom then since let me tell you its not always easy- uhh, hugging when you're tall and everyone is small." Anika pats the back of her neck. "You got any idea how painful it gets to just look down at everyone all the time? Your dad is like the only dude that I don't need to bend my neck to look at." Anika scratches her chin. "Wait... 'Lucy' was it? I think I was supposed to remember something about you. Like... uhh... let me ask you this, did you get a token from someone else before you got here?"

26. - Top - End - #206

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Lucy Goosey, my dad says," Lucy affirms. "And he does jokes about that all the time. How we're all so little and he has to do all the extra work. 'Ow, my back!'" Lucy bends over and grabs her lower back. "That's for when he doesn't wanna pick us all up. But he usually does anyways."

"Uhm, maybe you mean this?" Lucy shows off one of Wenomir's black stones. She forgot if she was supposed to show that to the next person.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #207

Out For A Hike

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullara View Post
    [Out For A Hike]

The girls each accept the help over, and hop down more dramatically than necessary from the other side. Sakura gives Calanthe a broad smile when she looks her way. Mommy approves!

The three gather around the mushrooms Calanthe points out and crouch for a better look. "Mm... I dunno." Laurana gives up first. Cassie leans over the fungi and sniffs. "It smells nice." She remarks, not really answering the question.

Calanthe's eyes brighten a little at Sakura's approval - if she weren't already in good spirits from the lesson alone, the sense that she's doing a good job on their first outing would certainly help to ensure it. "Those are golden chanterelles, and they're a special type of mushroom that you can find out here." She moves to join the small crowd on the outskirts, not wishing to wade in and disrupt the children in their investigations just yet. "Many mushrooms out there are edible, although you have to be very careful; some of them can provoke allergic reactions, and many others are not only extremely poisonous but generally resemble edible ones, meaning that it can be very easy to mistake one for the other - so whatever you do, never eat a wild mushroom until it's been properly identified."

"These chanterelles are one such edible mushroom with a poisonous... cousin, if you will - " the bunny catches herself before she uses the term "doppelganger" here "- and unfortunately for everyone who enjoys eating them, you cannot reliably grow them in a garden. You see, chanterelles are mycorrhizal, and what that means is their grows not just in the dirt, but around and even inside a hosting plant's roots."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

[Out For A Hike]

The girls nod knowingly at Calanthe's warning. Both their mom and dad have told them many times to only eat things in the woods that they're told are good to eat.

At the next assertion, though, Laurana has something to say to that. "Mommy could grow them in her garden." She asserts. Sakura puts her hand over her lips to stifle a laugh. She wonders how Calanthe will reply to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Midsummer's Eve]

Wenomir pulls his hand back quickly, but he slows down a bit as he pulls it back towards his chest. It's a test for Cora; he's seeing if she'll be quick enough to seize this opportunity. Just like during sword practice.
    [Midsummer's Eve]

Cora lunges for it, but despite her best effort she's too slow. Her brow furrows in a way that's all too familiar to Wenomir. Determination. "I wanna try again." She says immediately.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

"Alright. Try it again. Steady. You've done it before."

Wenomir is quite familiar with Cora's reaction to setbacks and how to manage them. He'll repeat his previous motion to give her another chance to exploit it.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

[Midsummer's Eve]

Cora nods and readies herself again. This time she's ready, lunging forward, snatching the stone, and pulling it back to her chest. A grin spreads across her face and she pumps her fist in the air. "I did it!"