New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 6: Multiplying like rabbits

[Mithar Sleepover]

Lapis hurries in behind her friends, her little head tilted back almost all the way so she can see over the stack of pillows already in her arms. She's kind of sandwiching the whole pile between her hands and her chin, the only way to keep them stable.

This is going to be the biggest pillow fort!

She has to admit that this is one of the obvious upsides to having a really big house.

If you have a big house you're obviously going to need lots of pillows and cushions for all your beds and chairs and sofas. And lots of pillows means lots of material for fort construction.

"Um..." Lapis interjects uncertainly, shuffling over to the bed sideways so she can reach out with two fingers to pinch one of the pillows by the hem given that she needs both of her arms to really hold onto that stack of pillows. "Should I put some of the pillows in my backpack?" Lapis inquires. "My arms are running out of room."

Without really waiting for a reply she sets the whole tower down (which immediately topples over toward Bastion) and begins stuffing pillows into her pack. Which is to say, her inventory. It probably looks less weird this way and her friends already saw her pull her great big toy sword out of the tiny backpack. While busy with this very important task Lapis can't help but notice, "Your sister has so many little colorful effigies I love them!"

She had seen the pair hauled around by the two little twin sisters at the Fescot's but she hadn't ever really asked about them. Lapis is pretty sure 'effigy' is the right word for a little animal or person made of cloth and things. Like the bodies faeries make.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullara View Post
    [Back From A Hike]

"Oh, of course!" Sakura replies quickly. "Just ask for anything you need. You really shouldn't have to have your stuff all packed away." She says firmly. "I know what that's like, and I know you never feel quite settled until you get out of that situation." She thinks back in particular to when they had to fill out Cessie's home. It was quite a lot of pressure to have so many people move in so quickly.
    Back From A Hike

Calanthe raises her eyebrows a little. "Anything I need?" She chuckles. "Please, I wouldn't want to abuse your hospitality." Nor make the Frescots too uncomfortable. This was a rather pleasant arrangement, and she liked working for the family so far. She wouldn't want to unnerve Sakura by asking her to help sort away various alchemical ingredients, for instance.

Although... Calanthe thinks for a second. "Erm, speaking of settling in - I would enjoy getting to know you two and the people around here like the Mithars a bit better." She rubs her arm a little self-consciously. "This place is rather more... remote to where I'm used to working." The rabbit doesn't say it outright, but Sakura might not find it too difficult to pick up the general matter that Calanthe's speaking to; she doesn't really know much of anyone out here, and lacks a social outlet beyond helping mentor and watch over the kids each day.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

Lapis has the right idea, because the other two are looking pretty laboured. Cora leans against the bed, relaxing for a moment with her chin on top of the bundled blanket on top of her pile. "Huh, effigies? What'd you call them that?"

Bastion, however, interjects to actually reply. "Uh huh, Jillian likes them a lot. Everyone always gets her more for gifts and stuff. I don't know how she fits on her bed to sleep, though." He grins.

[Back From A Hike]

"Oh, of course!" Sakura agrees readily. "We can introduce you to Cessie properly sometime soon. And you can always come and spend some time with me whenever you want. Don't be shy at all."

4. - Top - End - #244

[Mithar Sleepover]

The right idea!

That's exactly the sort of idea that Lapis wants to have.

She'll continue stuffing pillows in her pack. Once she's got her supply of cushions squirreled away she'll hold out her hands expectantly for Cora to fork over her supply of fort-materials.

How much stuff can she fit in there, anyway?

"Because they're effigies? Is that the wrong word?" Lapis replies, looking a little uncertain. "I don't know lots of words for toys. But faeries make effigies since they aren't really real and need something shaped like an animal or a person to hold onto otherwise I think they just disappear like dreams when you wake up."

She wrinkles her little nose a bit.

"But not all faeries? Mother says there are different sorts."

Lapis is no faerie expert.

"I think the ones from the one mission that your mom let me go on were a different sort. They turned a river into a snake and the river was sad because it didn't want to be a snake it just wanted to be a river."

That's an understandable desire; to be what you actually are instead of what someone imagined you are.

Lapis glances back at the effigy-covered bed again.

"Maybe she just sleeps in the middle of them? Oh! We could ask her!"

That's a great way to find out the answer to questions.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

Cora does hand over her blankets, with the backpack now catching a curious look. Wait, that seems funny.

"Um..." Bastion muses. "They're just toys, which sounds different. We just called these plushies. Because they're soft toys." He explains. He doesn't know anything about fairies and plushies, though.

"I think Jillian's downstairs somewhere. Maybe we can find her when we drop off the fort stuff." Cora replies.

6. - Top - End - #246

[Mithar Sleepover]

It does seem funny, doesn't it?

Lapis had pulled her giant toy sword out of their earlier even though it shouldn't have fit, but given that they were talking about swords at the time Cora probably didn't notice. There were way more important things to pay attention to at the time.

"Plushies?" Lapis echos, trying out the sound of the word. "I like that. It sounds nicer than effigies, I love it! Because they're squishy, right?"

To confirm their squishiness, she pokes a great big green plushy frog with one finger and laughs.

Yep.

Super squishy.

Probably great for hugging.

Maybe Lapis should get one for Selekhael? Mother's assistant always seems too jumpy maybe something to hug will make her feel better?

"Okay! We've got all the pillows from here! Where else do we need to look?" Lapis asks. Their mom's room, right? There is supposedly a bounty of pillows in there.

And, really, Lapis wouldn't be shocked to learn that the twins haven't met many faeries. Mother said that Cessie has lots of magic to keep them out of her house and that's why Lapis won't have to worry about bad guys.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

Bastion ponders. He's never thought about it. "Maybe, I don't know. They're definitely soft, though. Maybe she does sleep on them in a big pile."

"Yep, let's go to mommy's room. She's got the biggest bed, so there's the most material." Cora claims. She leads the way and boldly pushes her way into her mom's room. Generally Cessie's room isn't supposed to be open for touring around in, but it's not specifically secured against it (unlike the laboratory). Thankfully Cessie's private space is as put together as the rest of her. It's all very tidy, everything is put away, and the bed is made... for about a second longer. Cora immediately starts pulling the covers off the larger, king size bed.

8. - Top - End - #248

[Mithar Sleepover]

Lapis is imagining those couches with all the pillows on them.

Are you supposed to sit on the pillows?

Or just move them out of the way?

Are the plushies like that, except more colorful and animal shaped?

Surely life is full of many mysteries for Lapis to discover the truth of.

Then on to Cessie's room!

Lapis quickly concludes that it's just as organized as the Commander is. Cessie always seems like she knows what's going on and she always has an answer for everything! But here at her home Lapis is getting the chance to see a side of Cessie that she really hasn't encountered before. That of a mom. She's definitely different from Mother, Lapis has concluded.

As the room is ransacked another question occurs to Lapis.

"Did you get in trouble when you and the Frescots followed that funny witch thing to VIGIL?" Lapis asks. That's where they met for the first time, after all. The little seraph had quickly concluded that the witch was an infiltrator making trouble and moved to expel it! And got turned into a great big poofy sheep thing for her trouble. "Are you not supposed to go there?"

Lapis can't imagine why they would be barred from VIGIL.

VIGIL is safe and the people there are nice! Or... mostly nice. Some are a little weird.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

The kids look a bit contemplative. "Um, not really." Cora replies.

"I think mommy was upset and scared." Bastion adds. Neither of them can remember any sort of trouble.

"She never lets us go, though." Cora whines. "I wanna see all the cool heroes at Vigil!"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Halfling in the Playground

[Calanthe's Room]

Adir ducks a little as he follows Calanthe through her door. It seems he has to do so with a few doors in the house, and not without good reason. His antlers just manage to miss the top of the frame.

Under his arm are a set of floating shelves, and dangling from his other hand is a kit for a power drill. He glances around to see what Calanthe's done with the place so far. Sakura had mentioned that the rabbit-woman could use a little more space to store things, and today Adir volunteered, offering to put up some shelves for their resident nanny. He even mentioned something about a full standing shelf still boxed up in the garage, but Adir decides he wants to use that as a last resort. Those things tended to be a real pain in the ass.

"Are you settling in here okay? Enough room?" asks the man.

Today, Adir's dressed in some of his perfectly ordinary stay-at-home clothes. A pair of long grey sweats under a tank top are a common enough sight, usually with some terrible phrase or joke emblazoned on Adir's front. Today the shirt has an arrow pointing to the left, and it reads:

My M.I.L.F. -->
    (Mom I Love Fondly)
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #251

[Mithar Sleepover]

Upset and scared.

The witch thing was powerful and weird, but Lapis doesn't think that it was actually dangerous.

It didn't do anything dangerous at that last Spooktober party she went to, either.

Just more weird things (again).

"I'm glad you got to go that one time," Lapis admits. "If you didn't I never would have met you."

Very true.

They would have been robbed of their friendship with Lapis! No one to encourage Cora into having clandestine fire-breathing contests.

Then she puts her fists on her hips and tries to look as heroic as possible!

"And I'm a cool hero, too!"

Maybe not the coolest hero, but pretty cool.

12. - Top - End - #252

Calanthe's Room

The Frescot Estate's fledgling full-time nanny is all too content to lead the way for her host, moving through the threshold with much less need for caution - although from the rather postured way with which she always conducts herself, it may not be so apparent.

"Yes, the room you've provided me is quite nice - the bed especially! I'm honestly not used to having so much space in that regard, I must admit." The woman smiles a little as she comes to a stop. Her attire is a marked contrast to Adir's - she always seems to be wearing some form of dress, and today is no exception. In this case it's a dark blue vest over a crisp white blouse, paired with a black ribbonlike tie and a long navy skirt.

Since Calanthe's moved in, perhaps the most notable change is the general amount of space taken up. Before it was rather empty outside of the large bed and two nightstands, but now a fairly sizeable wooden wardrobe has been assembled and positioned in a corner up against the far wall. A couple opened moving boxes still sit cluttered around the foot, blocking a storage drawer, and Adir can probably tell that one seems to be filled with stacks of novels and books of various sizes - as well as spot the glinting rims of a few small mason jars, obscured underneath another box's partially closed lid.

Additionally, the woman seems to have moved in a roll-top desk and placed it against the far wall. Papers, herbs, flowers, a mortar and pestle and a couple sealed vials clutter the surface, as does a pair of worn books stacked in the corner. Perhaps more interesting than these odd accoutrements, though, is what Calanthe has done with the window - whatever curtains used to frame it have been gingerly removed, folded and left to rest on one of her moving boxes. What hangs there now are a set of blackout curtains, their dark fabrics decorated with faint suggestions of dusky clouds and vibrant, sparkling points of starlight hanging in a moonless sky. In fact... Adir might even recognize the one or two constellations they portray, for they match some of the very ones which mark the night sky above his very home.

"I apologize that not everything's been tidied up," Calanthe remarks as she tidies up the sheets of her bed. The nightstand beside her is a bit of a clutter - a small paperback novel has been left splayed open and laid downwards to display artwork of a woman in chainmail cradling a sword, one corner of its flattened pages soaking in the gathered condensation of a short glass quarter-full with water faintly tinged amber. On the other nightstand is a wooden incense holder with ash in its tray. A small hand-sized lighter and a faded pink box lie beside it.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

Cora gives Lapis a look of great consideration. "What kinda hero stuff have you done?" She asks. Not skeptically, but she's uncertain what sort of thing her mom would let another kid do.

14. - Top - End - #254

[Mithar Sleepover]

"Well, I only got to go one one mission for VIGIL to save this village that had been swallowed up by a bad faerie forest,"
    Lapis recounts as she squirrels away the last of the pillows in her backpack. It would appear the question of heroics is quite a bit more important than the physical capacity of Lapis' pack. "But after that your mom didn't let me do anymore. But-"

Pause for effect. Her voice drops to a conspiratorial whisper.

"-I've done quests."

So what's the difference between a mission and a quest?

"Quests are just things that I can do to help! Not big VIGIL things, though. But still hero things. I've done a couple really great quests! Some of them were by myself and some with teams. There was one quest with bad goblin pirates. And one where a bad-dream escaped into the real world. And one where I had to rescue a kid who got lost in a faerie grove!"

Those are the three most exciting ones, in Lapis' opinion.

"Do you want to hear about one of those?"

15. - Top - End - #255

[Calanthe's Room]

Calanthe looks so out of place, moving around like she does. She walks... well, a lot like Cessie, actually. Measured steps, straightened back, perfect poise. She might catch the stag smirking just slightly. It's kind of cute.

"Not used to having this much space? Really?" Adir looks around. He doesn't think there's an especially large amount of space... but maybe he's always been fortunate in that way. City dwelling people, especially students, seemed to be accustomed to small living. "With all this stuff, I can't imagine what your last place must have looked like. I'm just glad you're happy."

The stag starts to set his things down on the edge of Calanthe's bed to get organized, and he lets out a little chuff of laughter when she apologizes for the untidiness. "Are you kidding? Have you seen the rest of our house? If we're apologizing, I should probably give one to you every day..."

Though Calanthe had been helping a great deal with that now. Especially when it came to picking up after the kids.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #256

Calanthe's Room

"I mean, it is partly that and partly the house itself. My previous apartment wasn't too bad, but - well, it certainly did not have a living room like this does." She smiles. Generally the main factor in size at play here is the size of the bed and the expansiveness of the room.

"Well, I think I have much less to look after and keep tidy in here than you two, if we're being entirely fair." Casually stepping aside to let Adir pass, she closes the rolling top of her desk, turning to survey the shelves that he's brought. "I also appreciate you helping me out with these. I think I could probably do them myself but... well, quite frankly, I did not want to start making holes in your walls without supervision. Not something I have had to do much in my life."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

17. - Top - End - #257

[Calanthe's Room]

"It always feels a little crowded to me... but I guess that would make sense, huh?" asks the man. "Except after we put the kids to bed, I guess. Then maybe it's a little empty and quiet. Not that I mind..."

"Oh, hey, no trouble. You keep up like you have been, you can... wreck this place to your heart's content," Adir says, waving his hand haphazardly. "But if it's something I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask. Think of me as your slow but capable manservant. Now, these shelves..."

The stag glances around. "Where do you want them, Missus Calanthe?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover]

"Well, I only got to go one one mission for VIGIL to save this village that had been swallowed up by a bad faerie forest,"
    Lapis recounts as she squirrels away the last of the pillows in her backpack. It would appear the question of heroics is quite a bit more important than the physical capacity of Lapis' pack. "But after that your mom didn't let me do anymore. But-"

Pause for effect. Her voice drops to a conspiratorial whisper.

"-I've done quests."

So what's the difference between a mission and a quest?

"Quests are just things that I can do to help! Not big VIGIL things, though. But still hero things. I've done a couple really great quests! Some of them were by myself and some with teams. There was one quest with bad goblin pirates. And one where a bad-dream escaped into the real world. And one where I had to rescue a kid who got lost in a faerie grove!"

Those are the three most exciting ones, in Lapis' opinion.

"Do you want to hear about one of those?"
    [Mithar Sleepover]

Cora and Bastion are both wide eyed. Wow, real quests! That's so exciting. The twins turn to each other, debating rapidly what story they wanna hear about first. It seems Cora wins out, because she turns back to Lapis. "We wanna hear about the pirate." She prompts.

19. - Top - End - #259

[Mithar Sleepover]

"Okay first I should tell you that these goblins aren't like the nice goblins at GLoG," Lapis begins. She feels this is a very important thing to begin with. She's met those goblins and made friends with some of them and they seemed really nice and really great and she loved them lots! They were only very very very not much at all faerieish and she asked a goblin adventurer at GLoG about it and he said that they got away from a bad faerie king a long time ago so Lapis is pretty sure that makes them goodguys or at least not badguys. "They don't look the same or act the same or anything! They look kind of like humans except all their parts are the wrong size or shape and some are little and some are big but they're ALL really mean. They're not real people they're all the bad mean nasty wicked thoughts people have that sink down into the Dreamlands and rot like food that got left under Anika's bed for too long. They're bad spirits like the ones the guardgoyles on your house keep away."

There!

That important part is out of the way!

And all of Cessie's pillow have been pilfered where to next?

"So I got this quest to help stop these bad pirates and four other Aspirants like me joined too. But it took a while for the last two to join so after we got to the island where the pirates are we decided we should spend the time waiting building-"

Dramatic pause for effect!

"-a fort!"

Just not out of pillows.

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Calanthe's Room]

"It always feels a little crowded to me... but I guess that would make sense, huh?" asks the man. "Except after we put the kids to bed, I guess. Then maybe it's a little empty and quiet. Not that I mind..."

"Oh, hey, no trouble. You keep up like you have been, you can... wreck this place to your heart's content," Adir says, waving his hand haphazardly. "But if it's something I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask. Think of me as your slow but capable manservant. Now, these shelves..."

The stag glances around. "Where do you want them, Missus Calanthe?"
    "I can't imagine your size helps much in those matters," Calanthe jests, lips closed in a dry smile, scanning him from down to up rather matter-of-factly to emphasize her point. "I was thinking over the desk, perhaps?" The 'Missus' line earns Adir a bit of a raised eyebrow, but Calanthe doesn't comment further. It's not an honorific she particularly enjoys the sound of.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #261

[Calanthe's Room]

"If you can believe it, being this big hurts more than it helps with almost everything," Adir agrees. "I wasn't always a sasquatch. I used to be only a bit taller than you are. My job sorta... required some actual physical changes. Magic stuff, you know. It's hard to explain..."

If him jokingly calling Calanthe 'missus' bothered her, Adir decides he'll try not to do it again. Something with a previous relationship? Or she just doesn't like the idea of being a missus? Hard to say. But now he's curious.

Adir lines up one of the shelves in a likely spot above the desk, eyeing it. "Here, grab my level, will you?" He flicks his eyes at a short bar of plastic he's set on the bed. "Can you get up high enough to check it?" It's a lot easier to make it nice and neat with an extra set of hands. And of course, if she wants it shifted around, he can do that too.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #262

Calanthe's Room

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Calanthe's Room]

"If you can believe it, being this big hurts more than it helps with almost everything," Adir agrees. "I wasn't always a sasquatch. I used to be only a bit taller than you are. My job sorta... required some actual physical changes. Magic stuff, you know. It's hard to explain..."

If him jokingly calling Calanthe 'missus' bothered her, Adir decides he'll try not to do it again. Something with a previous relationship? Or she just doesn't like the idea of being a missus? Hard to say. But now he's curious.

Adir lines up one of the shelves in a likely spot above the desk, eyeing it. "Here, grab my level, will you?" He flicks his eyes at a short bar of plastic he's set on the bed. "Can you get up high enough to check it?" It's a lot easier to make it nice and neat with an extra set of hands. And of course, if she wants it shifted around, he can do that too.

It's less of a bother and more a slightly disagreeing amusement. Calanthe definitely prefers the sound of "Miss" to "Missus", to name one of a few other options.

"Hm, magical alterations?" There seems to be a sparkle of curiosity in the bun-woman's eye as she looks at his visage with a bit more of an interest. "I can't say such matters fall under my purview, but I'd be interested in hearing more about that all the same. The arcane can be quite fascinating, after all."

"Mm, of course." Calanthe nods and retrieves the level, sliding between Adir and the desk without much thought and stretching up to hold the level up on top of the shelf's surface. "I think this should do," she comments, helping her host find and hold the shelf in the right position.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #263

[Calanthe's Room]

"To be honest, I don't know why I got bigger. The only hint I have is that the lady who did it to me is... big. Really big. And now I'm a lot closer to her size. There's also the hair," Adir glances up as if to indicate his white cut. "The eyes. And... oh. Even weirder stuff. I don't get cold, I'm fast, I'm strong... Sometimes my breath gets really chilly. When I'm emotional or, uh, excited."

The stag shifts so Calanthe can get in a little easier. "Okay, I've got it. Now grab me the drill and those screws, will you?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #264

Calanthe's Room

Calanthe raises her eyebrows. "Wow, that does sound like quite a comprehensive change. Perhaps some sort of change to natural spirit or essence...." She's musing more to herself than expecting any sort of reply here as she moves to retrieve what Adir needs and hand them to him.

"Er, sorry, you don't have me here to play physician. I can only imagine it must have been quite a surprise for Sakura." The thought seems to amuse her as she moves to help hold the shelving steady.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2022-02-28 at 09:40 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Mithar Sleepover]

"Okay first I should tell you that these goblins aren't like the nice goblins at GLoG," Lapis begins. She feels this is a very important thing to begin with. She's met those goblins and made friends with some of them and they seemed really nice and really great and she loved them lots! They were only very very very not much at all faerieish and she asked a goblin adventurer at GLoG about it and he said that they got away from a bad faerie king a long time ago so Lapis is pretty sure that makes them goodguys or at least not badguys. "They don't look the same or act the same or anything! They look kind of like humans except all their parts are the wrong size or shape and some are little and some are big but they're ALL really mean. They're not real people they're all the bad mean nasty wicked thoughts people have that sink down into the Dreamlands and rot like food that got left under Anika's bed for too long. They're bad spirits like the ones the guardgoyles on your house keep away."

There!

That important part is out of the way!

And all of Cessie's pillow have been pilfered where to next?

"So I got this quest to help stop these bad pirates and four other Aspirants like me joined too. But it took a while for the last two to join so after we got to the island where the pirates are we decided we should spend the time waiting building-"

Dramatic pause for effect!

"-a fort!"

Just not out of pillows.
    [Mithar Sleepover]

Cora and Bastion nod along. They understand what monsters are. "Maybe you can call them something else so you don't gotta explain why they're different." Cora suggests.

"Yeah, like..." Bastion pauses to think a moment. "They're like monster goblins. Um, how about 'moblins'?" He suggests, looking proud of his idea.

That aside, though, there's the story proper. Cora starts to lead the way out. She and Bastion still lug some of their material. It'd be weird if Lapis fit all of it in her bag, right? "How'd you make a fort with just five of you?" Cora asks.

26. - Top - End - #266

[Mithar Sleepover]

"Moblin's a good name I love it!"

High praise from Lapis.

If she didn't love everything.

And it WOULD be kind of weird if everything fit in Lapis' bag.

Where are they heading next?

To raid more pillows?

Or to start building their fort?

"It's a special Aspirant thing I can't show you while we're in the house because I think your mom might get mad and we don't want to make her get mad," Lapis explains apologetically. "But maybe when we go outside tomorrow I can ask if I can show you there? I can dig stuff up then use the things I dig for making stuff! Lots of different shapes that stay where you put them. All the Aspirants can do it! So we did some digging and started making a little fort but it was just a little one since we weren't working for that long but Mishnehel picked Digger and they're the best for digging and building and she was having lots of fun and we found some funny crabs in the sand. BUT THEN!"

But then!

"The mobling pirate ship came around the cove and started firing their cannons! Pchwow!"

Lapis' mouth-cannon sounds aren't very awe inspiring.

27. - Top - End - #267

[Mithar Sleepover]

The sound of footsteps that both Bastion and Cora should be familiar with. They're distinct enough that it only could be one person.

Considering that they should also know this persons opinion on unauthorized pillow forts they might want to be cautious.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Calanthe's Room

Calanthe raises her eyebrows. "Wow, that does sound like quite a comprehensive change. Perhaps some sort of change to natural spirit or essence...." She's musing more to herself than expecting any sort of reply here as she moves to retrieve what Adir needs and hand them to him.

"Er, sorry, you don't have me here to play physician. I can only imagine it must have been quite a surprise for Sakura." The thought seems to amuse her as she moves to help hold the shelving steady.
    [Calanthe's Room]

"I don't know a whole lot about spirits or essence, but it has something to do with the... Concept? Of winter?" Adir sounds like he really doesn't get it himself.

"I mean, hey, if you can tell me more about it, I'm not going to complain. It was, uh... a bit of a surprise for both of us." The stag smiles awkwardly. "I thought she might not like it at first, but... we've made it work. Still makes some things a little awkward." He laughs.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Sleepover]

It's clear enough to the twins that Lapis is talking about more of the magic she does, Bastion has the urge to ask more about it, but he doesn't want to interrupt the story. Especially since things are starting to pick up! The mouth sounds might not be impressive, but the kids are into it.

"Woah! What happened next? Did they raid your fort? Did they h-" While Cora starts to rattle on, Bastion's ears perk. He's caught a sound.

"Cora. Shh-"

"-ave swords? Did you-"

"Cora!" Bastion hisses. "Garn."

Oh. That's all the warning Cora needs. She looks around wildly and heads towards another door. Bastion pushes Lapis from behind to urge her along. In Cora's fumbling to get the door open she drops a pillow. There's no time to waste, though. They have just a moment to get into what turns out to be a hall closet and close the door behind them before the gargoyle turns the corner.

30. - Top - End - #270

[Mithar Sleepover]

See Bastion knows you should let someone tell their story then ask questions when they get to a good stopping spot. Otherwise you might break their train of thought!

Thankfully that isn't too much of a problem with Lapis as she was about to employ some EXPERT story telling tricks when suddenly she's getting pushed from behind?

"Garn?" she asks briefly, quickly getting the idea and hurrying along to follow Cora. "Oh, the guardgoyle."

She remembers Garn.

He was the one they had to send away to have their snowball melting contest.

Apparently Garn is strictly opposed to fun in all forms.

Thinking quickly, Lapis gives the fallen pillow a quick kick, sending it flopping into the closet to keep the tell-tale sign of their passing out of sight.

Oh! This is fun! It'll be like a stealth quest! Lapis hasn't tried one of those yet but they seem neat. Once in the closet she does her best to be very quiet. Though she does whisper, "How long do we have to stay in here?"