New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Stunning Attacks: how many can you get?

What it says on the can. Default for the Stunning Fist feat is 1 per day for every four levels you attain, and for monks it's 1 per day per monk level plus 1 for every 4 levels of non-monk.

If all you wanted to do was maximise the number of stun attacks you get under this feat specifically, what feats and options are out there to push the number of stunning attacks up?

There's the Extra Stunning feat out of Complete Warrior which can be taken multiple times and adds +3 to stunning attack attempts per day, but does the brains trust here know of any other options that affect the number of stunning attacks you might get per day?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Stunning Attacks: how many can you get?

Monk's Belt gives you an additional time per day.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bloodline for extra levels maybe?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There are several PrCs that count as monk for the purpose of advancing Stunning Fist. I don't know if any of them are worded poorly enough that they (RAW) give +1.25 uses per level (i.e., because they say that they give an extra SF use per level and then because the SF feat also counts them as non-monk levels), but I don't think there are any that intentionally give more than 1 use per level. So if you can get more than 20 from class levels alone, I would be surprised. Meaning that you're then looking at feats and items, all the easy ones of which have already been mentioned.

Are you comfortable with looking at wording to see if any PrCs unintentionally advance more than 1:1?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    There are several PrCs that count as monk for the purpose of advancing Stunning Fist. I don't know if any of them are worded poorly enough that they (RAW) give +1.25 uses per level (i.e., because they say that they give an extra SF use per level and then because the SF feat also counts them as non-monk levels), but I don't think there are any that intentionally give more than 1 use per level. So if you can get more than 20 from class levels alone, I would be surprised. Meaning that you're then looking at feats and items, all the easy ones of which have already been mentioned.

Are you comfortable with looking at wording to see if any PrCs unintentionally advance more than 1:1?
    Sure, I'll bite. :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A few minutes of searching didn't give me much, unfortunately. If you compare the wording of disciple of the word (ToM) and haztaratain (Secrets of Sarlona), disciple of the word is explicit that DotW levels only provide +1 use per level and not +1.25, while haztaratain simply says that it "stacks with your monk levels." So you could maybe argue that you get 1.25 SF uses per haztaratain level. Make no mistake, it's shaky and I don't know too many GMs who would buy it (or too many judges, in a competition sense), but the argument could be made. So 8 levels of haztaratain could theoretically net you 10 SF uses. (Yuck, by the way. The class is garbage.)

A quick glance around didn't find any others, but it's easily possible that I missed something.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

With Extra Stunning on the table, taking classes that grant extra bonus feats would be far more efficient than hunting down poorly-worded Monk PrCs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The number you can get is infinity: use a non capped wish for unlimited instances of the feat extra stunning strikes on a magical item and also get an infinity of attacks some way(when you are doing this kind of cheese it is an easily doable exercise).
    If you want the highest amount of stunning strikes without abusing the rules the answer is probably "take as many flaws as possible and get as many feats as possible that can be extra stunning strikes".
    Last edited by noob; 2021-05-12 at 01:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It’s not getting more, but getting more use. An aptitude sand blaster can get you an AoE stun. Also remember that every class(aside from monk/wizard/sorcerer) gives you at least one feat for you to Dark Chaos Shuffle to extra stun. Two level dip in Pugilist Fighter and Ranger for 13 feats is pretty good. Half-human elf or just elf for more shufflable feats, also go with an Alternate Base Class Monk to get another free feat.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bastards & Bloodlines has the Prodigy feat. It grants +50% to the number of times per day you can use one limited-use ability. And multiples stack.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-05-13 at 03:59 PM.