New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Clear your inbox, Ludic!

Ludic, your inbox is too full for new messages, and I misplaced the parentheses in the formula I sent you. Correct formula is here (for those of you wondering, it's for calculating the DPR of elemental adept when applied to a save for half spell that may contain arbitrary damage dice, like 3d6 + 1d8 or whatever):

P = 4^four*6^six*.....
    n = sum(four,six,eight,ten,twelve)
    Odds of odd number: (P/2-2^(n-1))/P = 1/2 - (2^(n-1))/P
    Odds of even number = 1/2 + (2^(n-1))/P

I'm not good enough at combinatorics to prove this formula with rigor, but it's held true for every test case I can think of.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Clear your inbox, Ludic!

This could become the "Official Ludic Inbox thread" 🤣

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

I'm on board.

Ludic, if you see this, I implemented the necessary logic in cell D228:

=IF(B11+E11+H11+K11+N11=0,FLOOR(D225/2),D225/2 - if(I24,1+if(mod(Q11,2),1,-1)/product(2^B11,3^E11,4^H11,5^K11,6^N11),1)/4)

Cell D234 confuses the heck out of me, so I didn't implement it. The product bit needs every die in it, so e.g. 2^(B11+B33), and the mod bit needs all static bonuses in it, so Q11+Q33, to calculate "first hit" damage separately, but D234 doesn't work that way. So it's confusing. Also, there aren't any abilities I know of that would work for "first hit" in a save sense, because the caster doesn't generally get to know whether a save was made or not when rolling damage. You'd need an ability that specifically added a failed save rider of damage to one failed save of a spell. Does that even exist? The example the cell gives is Empowered Evocation, which doesn't work that way. If you cast a spell that sequentially inflicts save or damage, you generally can't hold onto your Empowered until you see if targets save or not. You have to pick which roll to apply it to before finding out if the target(s) saved. So you don't hold onto the damage until the save fails, you just only apply the damage once.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by javianhalt View Post
    This could become the "Official Ludic Inbox thread" 🤣
    A great thread became greater =D

5. - Top - End - #5

BarbarianGuy

I don't have access to the spreadsheet in question so have no idea what you're even talking about... yet I find myself drawn to this thread (so far). Please post more of these "details".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Please do not lock this thread. Allow it to blossom into incoherent technical jargon and greatness!

7. - Top - End - #7

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeowulf View Post
    I don't have access to the spreadsheet in question so have no idea what you're even talking about... yet I find myself drawn to this thread (so far). Please post more of these "details".
    Ludic did put it up for everyone to enjoy, I'm just helping him patch a bug in how the Saves tab handles Elemental Adept. Here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=151780215

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quindraco View Post
    Ludic, your inbox is too full for new messages
    Pffft, it's because you guys keep sending me such lovely messages! TOO MANY OF THEM!

Edit: I have space open in my inbox... for now. I'm not sure how long that will last...
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2021-05-14 at 12:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones