New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Turning Air Into Solids

Going into more detail, Oxygen, Carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen collectively make up 96.2% of a human's mass.

While you couldn't make an entire human out of just air, the non-air elements that make up the mass of the average adult human would cost about US $7.83 to purchase, if you could buy only the exact amounts you need.

If you include the value of the air, it rounds up to about 24 bucks.

It's almost insulting how cheap it would be for someone who had this kind of people to make an entire person from scratch.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Going into more detail, Oxygen, Carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen collectively make up 96.2% of a human's mass.

While you couldn't make an entire human out of just air, the non-air elements that make up the mass of the average adult human would cost about US $7.83 to purchase, if you could buy only the exact amounts you need.

It's almost insulting how cheap it would be for someone who had this kind of people to make an entire person from scratch.
    Oh yeah, if the ingredients are so simple to get, what could go wrong?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Oh yeah, if the ingredients are so simple to get, what could go wrong?
    To be fair, FMA assumes the existence of a discrete, immortal soul and that attempting to create life artificially is arbitrarily assigned an objective negative moral value.

The rules of alchemy making it impossible to resurrect a human being is a case of an author creating the rules of the setting in such a way as to reinforce the intended moral of the story.

Also, my understanding is that it is eventually established that that applies to bringing back someone who has died and that it's a relatively simple matter to create life if you don't particularly care about them being a specific individual or where their soul comes from.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

And with a little sand they could make a supercomputer.

Heck, with that sort of an apparently inherent understanding of how to make stuff, they could probably create a warp drive from just what they can scrounge up over a 10 mile walk plus a few dozen dollars in exotic metals. And even that addition is mostly just them being too lazy to walk more.

It's not really a good comparison to actual realistic costs of production, and if we could produce things that way, raw materials would be more ecpensive. You could go broke just by breathing.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2021-05-20 at 01:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    And with a little sand they could make a supercomputer.

Heck, with that sort of an apparently inherent understanding of how to make stuff, they could probably create a warp drive from just what they can scrounge up over a 10 mile walk plus a few dozen dollars in exotic metals. And even that addition is mostly just them being too lazy to walk more.

It's not really a good comparison to actual realistic costs of production, and if we could produce things that way, raw materials would be more ecpensive. You could go broke just by breathing.
    Yeah, if you have this sort of power and stumble across, say, a mountain? You could easily go from nothing to making a bunch of machinery, drill and/or fly a plane to some place with uranium deposits and various rare-earth metals, then just...make most modern goods with a nuclear reactor powering it.

Assuming you know how to build all of that, of course.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad