New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default real life religion / joke question

In the werewolf/mafia subforum, there is sometimes jokes using the term "RNGesus" to denote randomly picking a player.
    I think that's in violation of the forum rules, so I wanted to check.

This is a post I was about to make in the general mafia thread, but then was worried it might be "Vigilante Modding" and didn't want to run afoul of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by what I was going to say
    I'd like the RNGesus joking to stop. Not that there really was any this last game, but noting it for in general. It's (indirectly?) based on real life religion and I find it... hard to place the right word... 'insulting' isn't quite accurate, but something along those lines.
    I PMed a mod for this subforum some time ago to ask about it -- not to try to get anyone a warning or infraction, but just to ask "hey, shouldn't this be stopped." But I reckon they were busy as no response, and it didn't seem big enough to escalate to Roland.

Here's the precedent for why I think it's against forum rules: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ality-of-Posts
    If jokingly saying 'oh my god' or 'by Thor' is a violation of real life religion rule (even if an innocent one), I'd think this is, too.

To add a touch of humor to this otherwise somber post: I admit I didn't realize how it was a mockery of a real life religion term until I read a post out loud. Kinda embarrassed by that.
    While asking for clarification on things, would a post like the above have violated "Vigilante Modding"?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: real life religion / joke question

Sheriff: Yes, don't post that joke, and yes, don't try to regulate others that way. Report (not PM about) potential violations.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex