New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Jupiter's Legacy

Hey, new superhero show on Netflix, binged my way through it, wondering if anyone had any opinions?

Plot and stuff with spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show

Man, netflix really likes the whole somber, staring sort of drama, don't they? It's a little like watching much of the DC universe.

Anyways, much like Invincible, I feel this show is at its strongest when it's doing its own thing, and at its weakest when it's aping the world of DC. Morally challenged superman isn't really a new concept any more. There's so many versions of it now that it's getting to be kinda generic.

That made the initial bit kind of slow and generic, but after a while, it kinda grows into something watchable. The first season is pretty clearly setting up some sort of longer story(if there are comics for this, which there probably are, I haven't read them). I like the kids losing their grip on the old way. I'm less interested with the dad grappling with his no-kill code. This is unfortunately a major theme in the plot, but it isn't compelling. The one character who INSISTS on it hasn't been gravely impacted by murder or anything. Why he fixates on that as opposed to anything else, eh? Not sure. But in any case, the golden era of comics when heroes never kill has been dead for quite some time now, and arguing over if a clone of a serial murderer who in turn becomes a serial murderer can be ethically killed to stop him from killing a crapton more via nuclear bomb is....not much of an ethical challenge.

That's a pretty justifiable kill for pretty much any ethics system, and it doesn't make for much soul searching. In fact, it kind of makes the folks insisting it's better that everyone die than to kill...kind of look like jerks. After all, the people usually paying the price they demand are others.

However, it's fun to actually see a teleporting power taken to a delightful extreme.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Jupiter's Legacy

Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Spoiler
    Show
    Man, netflix really likes the whole somber, staring sort of drama, don't they?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds like Bucky would feel right at home.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Hey, new superhero show on Netflix, binged my way through it, wondering if anyone had any opinions?

Plot and stuff with spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show

Man, netflix really likes the whole somber, staring sort of drama, don't they? It's a little like watching much of the DC universe. I'm less interested with the dad grappling with his no-kill code. .
    Spoiler: The Dad and those helmets!!
    Show
    That dude (from what I've seen so far, ep 7) is the definition of lawful stupid... OK, just a pet peeve, but Norse/Viking helmets with horns? Friggin really??!!
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 2021-05-26 at 03:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Spoiler: The Dad and those helmets!!
    Show
    That dude (from what I've seen so far, ep 7) is the definition of lawful stupid... OK, just a pet peeve, but Norse/Viking helmets with horns? Friggin really??!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Being of norse background myself, that's also one of my pet peeves. It's obnoxious. Unfortunately, also ridiculously common on screen. I kind of get it, even though it's one of those things that's fixable with the slightest bit of research.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Can someone explain to me the Morrison and Millar "beef" that started off their feud?

I ask for I saw lots of meme stuff from people after Millar's Jupiter's Legacy was canceled yesterday and Netflix picked up another Millar property from the same universe.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

According to Grant Morrison, he and Millar used to be friends, but when Millar's star began to rise with The Authority, he felt he had to get out from under Morrison's shadow and a "fairly uncool split" occured.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-comics-62761/
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Now I'm curious what Millar would say on his end. I can't tell if Morrison is holding a grudge there still or not.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Ooof, $200 million is a ton for what they put on screen.

S1 of the Boys was $72 mil, and S2 was around $100 mil, so those 16 episodes combined were still a good bit cheaper than the 8 of Jupiter's Legacy.

I didn't hate everything they thought of, but that's definitely not a ton of bang for the budget.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I feel like this is a not badly done {Scrubbed} but I have a minor complaint because I think they left an incredible amount of potential on the table:

Spoiler: Walther Ep8
    Show
    Why does a smart, mind reader, politician god telepath have a daughter that dislikes him? Really wasted potential he could have gotten his kid to have positive emotions every single time she heard his voice. And evil duo of Father, daughter would have made a far better contrast. Obviously that she assassinates people for a living is nothing dad does object to. Hell she probably watched her dad do it and just copied. {Scrubbed} A Poseidon equivalent seeking to raise to the top supported by family would have made it more interesting. Hell let her mother live and be oblivious to the whole scheme so she doesn't talk about it. Tension , comedy story right there.
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-05-16 at 07:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: the legacy of Thread Necromancy is THREAD LOCK.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)