A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 363
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Even distracted by their dinner and discussion, the giant's still have no issue spotting you coming. One jabs another in the side and points, and eventually all eyes are on Gaks and Beorn who set down a short ways off to approach. There's a short, heated discussion between them out of ear's reach until one finally stands, clutching an enormous club made of stone, easily three times as long as any of you are tall, and bellows "Wut you wan squishies?" The others look on with passing interest, though the giant lizards with them seem content to ignore the new appearance and continue to bask quietly in the sun.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Behind you. RIGHT NOW.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Gaks lifted her empty arms, her shield over her back, to show she was unarmed. "Hilsener. Jeg er Gaks, og dette er Beorn. Vi håper å nærme oss som venner, og lurte på om du visste hvor Røde Hånd var, en hær av husnisser. De er fiender av oss, og det er min tro at de også truer deg."

    Spoiler: Giant
    Show
    Greetings. I am Gaks, and this is Beorn. We hope to approach as friends, and were wondering if you knew the whereabouts of the Red Hand, an army of hobgoblins. They are enemies of ours, and it is my belief that they threaten you as well.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Beorn stands by and attempts to look friendly, weapons stowed, though he keeps his shield handy.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Aetus

    Aetus takes it upon himself to scout the general area. He leaves before Gaks and Beorn and scouts the general area, eventually getting within shooting distance.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Roll as appropriate, kind DM. Just being the scouty/stealthy type.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    "Uhhhhhh," the giant turns to the others and has a quick hushed conversation, before speaking up again, more confident and brash. "Den eneste nissen vi har sett, du er en dum liten, kanskje du er en del av hæren, prøv å lure oss! it declares, before continuing in common. "Why goblin with mansquishy anyway?" It points its enormous stone club at Beorn threateningly.

    Spoiler: Giantish
    Show

    "Only hobgoblin we seen is you little squishy, maybe you part of army, try to trick us!"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Behind you. RIGHT NOW.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    "It's a bit of a long story," Gaks said, accepting the switch to common for Beorn's benefit. "If you don't know anything about an army I suppose this is just a warning that one may be coming through here. We'll be looking further up the mountain range." Gaks tried a smile. It was odd. "We do not mean to harm you, thank you for your time."
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    "Go fly away then squishy, no bother us again, or maybe we add you to skewer next," the giant chuckles maliciously, but makes no move to follow you or otherwise threaten violence.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Zuri

    Zuri waits in the back with Freya and Aetus. She can't hear the conversation well and wouldn't understand it even if she could, but she can tell by Gak's body language that these giants have no help for us.

    "Well, Freya, what do you think we should do next?" she asks while she waits for Gaks and Beorn to return.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Behind you. RIGHT NOW.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Gaks flew back up with Beorn, frowning all the way.
    Have I... have I doomed us?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    "Well, Freya, what do you think we should do next?" she asks while she waits for Gaks and Beorn to return.
    Freya takes considerable time pondering the question. "I do not know. I wonder if we would do better chasing down the main army again. There is just too much we do not know of the Red Hand's plans. I think... we should look around a little more for this second army and if we do not find it, we consider Brindol as plan b."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-05-16 at 08:55 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    "Yes. We are here, we ought to make sure before we head back. I am not hopeful, but as long as we return to Brindol before the enemy reaches it, we have time here."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Behind you. RIGHT NOW.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    "Very well," Gaks said through the lump in her throat.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Aetus

    "They are right, Gaks. Let's stay and try to find this army. I will go on a bit to scout. I am faster on foot, and silent, alone."

    If noone disagrees, Aetus scouts ahead stealthily, as far as he can go so that he can come back in time to reach Brindol.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Aetus has a Movement of 35 and can walk in full speed while remaining stealthy - with advantage, due to his Elven Cloak. He will go as far as possible, sense for enemies in the vicinity if the army has not be seen, and then come back just in time to reach Brindol.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Gak's concerns seem more and more justified as time goes on, and even after you return to the proposed army's trail, you see no sight of them from land or sky. The clear skies mean any path or trail that isn't blocked by a mountain should be clear, and yet there's no trace or trail. Aetus' goblinoid senses likely find nothing untoward or unexpected in the vicinity, no matter what time he uses them. Yet there is still plenty of the mountain range unexplored and unseen, and the small glimmer of anticipation every time you crest a mountain or overcome a ridgeline or circle a valley doesn't quite vanish.

    Day 35

    Your next day proves no more fruitful in your search, but it does instead offer a sudden interruption. It's still early in the day when a faint whisper of magic caresses the mind of Freya, and the voice of Sellyria bubbles up to greet her. "We have arrived in Brindol, but more help is needed and the horde will arrive in less than a tenday. Please attend the war council." Already the slip of magic is fading, leaving Freya precious little time to respond - if indeed she wants to at all.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    As with the last sending spell, Freya has a chance to respond (up to 25 words!) but must do so immediately, no in-character consultation time.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    "We have arrived in Brindol, but more help is needed and the horde will arrive in less than a tenday. Please attend the war council."
    Freya responds with, "We are traveling through the Giantshield mountains. We will find our way to Brindol for the war council."


    Once the magic fades away, Freya turns to her companions. "I received a message from Sellyria. Her group has arrived in Brindol and they wish for us to attend the war council there. I told her that we will attend. ...um, I hope that was not impertinent of me to make that decision; the spell used fades quickly and I had to answer her on the spot. Sellyria said that the Red Hand is less than ten days from reaching the city, so we do not have much time left to search these mountains."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-05-17 at 05:59 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Behind you. RIGHT NOW.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Gaks swore in Goblinoid. "One day more and then back to Brindol?" she suggested.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    "I would be okay with one more. I pray to the gods of luck to bless us," Freya says. She waits for others to give their vote or rebuttle.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Beorn nods; he had expected a trap or misdirection, so was not disappointed at the failure.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Zuri

    Zuri thinks we should continue our hunt.

    "Gaks, you trusted her. Hobgoblins are known to keep their word, right? I say we keep looking. We just need to return in time to get to Brindol before the horde arrives. If we miss the meeting, that will be ok. They'll catch us up when we get there."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Behind you. RIGHT NOW.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    "I am beginning to think I know nothing of hobgoblins," Gaks confessed. But she nodded to Zuri. "Perhaps your could speak to some animals? Find out if they have seen anything?"
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Freya looks up to see if there are any birds out flying. They might have seen something?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    You continue on with your search, dedicating a further day to exploration of the purported trail on Ulwai's map. Aetus finds tracks, but nothing goblinoid. If there were any normal Red Hand troops they've concealed themselves perfectly, and given what you know about them that seems unlikely save for a few. Saarvith, perhaps. Otherwise, all your find is beast and giant, and not in any numbers significant enough to call a second army. From land and sky there's neither hide nor hair of the elusive assault force, if it even existed at all. Days spent in the rocky, arid mountains that all look the same have proven fruitless.

    Days 36 to 39

    With little time remaining until the war council and the inevitable siege, you make best speed towards Brindol. Given the lack of any signs of the second army, and the unlikelihood it is ahead of you at this stage of the invasion progress, you opt to instead exit the mountains at best speed to the south, then cut across the flatlands by phantom steed. Though not the most direct route, it will serve to get you there faster than following the purported second army route.

    On your second day of travel however scorching heat slows you down, and the lack of shade on the mountain means your travel time is hampered as you need to scrounge for cover for fear of exhaustion. Your descent from the mountain is thankfully much easier than your ascending it, but you're not able to make it to Brindol before requiring another night's rest to recuperate, and so you end up arriving mid-morning, with the sun still low in the sky at your backs.

    Though Brindol sits on a riverside, it's difficult to say that it's split by the river. In truth almost the entirety of the city is on the southern side, and approaching from the north east you see that there are essentially only gates this side of the river, with bridges cross into the city proper. There's a steady stream of citizens crossing through the gates, but none, you notice, are going into the city. They're all leaving east. Men, women, children, animals. It's an apparently never-ending stream of evacuees that has started since dawn, given how far along the road you started seeing them. Brindol is being emptied. Those leaving look as you might expect from refugees - worried, tired, malnourished, but ultimately most of them just seem eager to get away. More than a few look at you with curiosity - and at Gaks with disgust - but none say anything as you stream past on phantom steeds towards the great bastion that is the last hope of stopping the Red Hand's progression.

    Beyond the bridges, it is impossible to miss the fact that Brindol is a city at war, even though as yet there are nor smouldering fires or war-torn battlefields. Soldiers toil in what only a few weeks ago were idyllic orchards and productive farms, digging trenches, raising watchtowers and securing wooden palisades.

    The city is almost completely surrounded by a twenty-foot-high wall of stone. The only stretch not protected in this way is the section along the river that marks the city's northern boundary. Three bridges cross the Elsir and connect the city with the river's far bank. The highest point in town is a hill, nestled in the southeastern quadrant. A large well-built keep of stone surmounts the hill, its majestic towers rivaled by the presence of a nearby grand cathedral.

    Despite the city's size, the only hustle and bustle is that of people leaving. Beyond the gates and exits the streets are silent and empty. Patrols of soldiers march down some roads, but there is little sign of the normal mercantile activity. Upon closer inspection, it seems that many of the town's buildings have been boarded over.

    There's guards operating at the gates, clad in armour dirtied from too much work and not enough time to clean, ensuring orderly progression of the evacuees. They see you coming, of course, but thankfully don't brandish any weapons. In fact, the ones not involved in dealing with the refugees give you polite and respectful salutes. One steps forward, removing his helmet to reveal a man in his mid-thirties. Despite his gear, his face is free of scars, and looks relatively unworn. At a glance, Beorn can judge him to have few real battles beneath his belt. "Corporal Graeme Coburns. Fair tidings to you all, we were told you were coming. Lord Jaarnath is keen to discuss the upcoming siege with you. Unless there's any objections or other urgent business in the city, please allow me to escort you to the war council."

    Spoiler: Lets have a Brindol Map
    Show



    Approximate population pre-refugee situation: 6700, plus another 1000 within 5 miles of the town.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Beorn nods to the man politely. "Yes, I think that would be best, thank you." Hopefully some of the soldiery here will not be green, though I expect most will be.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Freya wishes she could speak with the creator of the Staff of storms. It needs a mobile umbrella option for trips like these!

    Finally, with the party at civilization, she has renewed hope to get a very well-desired bath... well, probably after the war council. Important meeting stuff has to come first.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Behind you. RIGHT NOW.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Gaks was solemn and quiet. She followed the group as stiffly and matter-of-factly as she had before their long journey. She remained cold and aloof, nodding to the soldiers leading them on with a stone face.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Zuri

    Zuri mostly wants to go find the armorer to see if he was able to make the green-dragon scale armor for her. But she knows she can't delay a war council for that.

    "Yes. Let's go see what they have to say. Let's see what we can do to help."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Aetus

    Aetus has small love for cities of stone. His people leave in the open air. However, his time in exile has taken him in several such towns and cities and he notices the war preparations. That is as far as he can gauge, since mass warfare is not his specialty or love.

    But one must do what he can. He starts thinking of ways he can help. Nodding his agreement to be escorted to the war council, he rides closer to Beorn.

    "I am not an expert in massive warfare, but i am thinking that the Red Hands will have to cover a lot of ground. If I could have some archers, perhaps I could train them to shoot in three specific ranges. They could be used as artillery, firing at a specific command. They would not be true longbow warriors, but they could do quite a bit of damage.

    What do you think?"

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    The corporal gives another brief salute and calls for space to be made so you can pass through the throng of people leaving. For better or worse, they make ample room for you, allowing a bubble of empty space as they all edge away. Once you've broken past the gathered populace, you find yourself in the quiet streets. Row upon row of house and shop boarded up or closed, though a few remain 'open', if only to serve the remaining garrison. Market squares and plazas, once used for arts, commerce and grand events have been converted into drilling locations where rows of militia men and women line up to aim crossbows and thrust pikes, desperate to learn what they can before the imminent attack. If you catch their attention at all, it's swiftly brought back to their training by the sergeants and captains leading the training. They, at least, seem to have a handle on the military.

    On your way to the keep you pass by a number of stately manors, one of which still seems in full use, with a contingent of soldiers notably not wearing Brindol's colours stood outside of it. It doesn't take long to reach Brindol Keep, and it never really leaves your sight as you make your way through the city, being sat at a higher elevation it can be seen from almost anywhere in the city. The squat, four-towered castle is doubtless an important target, and its imposing structure makes it the perfect residence for the city's leader.

    Those on guard at the keep seem well-informed of your arrival also, as they let you pass with polite salutes but no other questions or comments. It's not quite a hero's welcome, but considering the circumstances it might not be far off. Corporal Coburns guides you through the entryway to what could only be called the Great Hall. He knocks twice, loudly, before opening the door. "My Lords and Ladies, Captain, the adventurers you were expecting." He ushers you inside, but with that introduction he salutes again and leaves, closing the door behind him. The low murmur of a dozen conversation falls silent as the assorted individuals look to you. The room is a large camber, floor polished smooth and the walls set with many alcoves, each containing a trophy or work of art. The ceiling rises to a cavernous height of nearly forty feet, and deepset narrow windows reach nearly to that height along the northern wall. A single long table dominates the centre of the room, its surface covered with books, maps, ledgers, parchments, sketches, drinks, and plates of half-eaten food. While many faces are unfamiliar, you do spot Sellyria, along with Norro Wiston and Captain Soranna from Drellin's Ferry.

    "Ah, my friends!" A commanding man dressed in trim plate mail and with a regal purple cloak approaches. He's lean, with a short well trimmed beard, a few graying hairs and wrinkles that age him beyond the mid-30s that the rest of his form indicates. He crosses the room on swift steps, moving to shake each of your hands in turn, and noting you all by name. "Lord Kerden Jarnaath, it's a pleasure to finally meet you. I've heard no end of tales of your actions across our fair land in the recent weeks. We'll be relying you on for more before this is all over I fear. Introductions first though," He turns and leads you to the table, where he summons an extra set of chairs for you all to seat yourself. Not counting Lord Jarnaath, there's four other unknown individuals sat at the central table with you, which he goes through in turn.

    "Lady Verrasa Kaal," is a youthful woman, perhaps in her mid to late thirties, wearing vibrant clothing. Her bright red hair is extravagantly styled, but her excessive appearance is marred somewhat by the scowl she wears, both at you and Lord Jarnaath, "One of the richest in Brindol, who has graciously offered the use of her private forces in defense of the city." "Yes, well, given the circumstances..." She mutters, but trails off. A momentary flash of frustration covers Jarnaath's face, but he moves on to the only other armoured man at the table. A tall and muscled figure strapped with weapons, though you note he sits uncomfortably in the chair, shifting slightly with regularity.

    "Captain Las Ulverth, leader of the Lion Guard and commander of our forces." The Captain doesn't say anything, yet, merely nods in greeting, his face set stoic and considered. It's hard not to miss Jarnaath's voice soften as he introduces the third person at your table, "Tredora Goldenbrow, high priestess of Lathander and religious leader for Brindol." The blonde beauty, who perhaps has a touch of celestialblood if her golden eyes are any indication, flashes Jarnaath a sincere smile, which he returns in kind. "A pleasure to meet you all," she says, likewise inclining her head in greetings.

    The final unknown is a man perhaps in his fifties or sixties, with carefully coiffed brown hair, a pointed goattee, and dressed head to toe in scarlet robes, some of which bear arcane sigils or insignias. "And finally, Immerstal the Red, Brindol's pre-eminent arcanist and master of all magical matters." The hoighty mage sniffs at his introduction but says nothing. Hands callused and strengthened by long penwork rest on the table, unmoving, as he waits for the discussion to continue. "And of course, you're already familiar with Norro and Captain Soranna, who have been invaluable aides in assisting the war efforts. The Lady Sellyria of the Tiri Kitor likewise I understand you are familiar with." They each offer quiet greetings - Sellyria a small wave, Soranna a polite salute and Norro a nod of greeting - before

    "Now, with that out of the way, we'd like to hear your side of the story, given that you know the most about what's been going on. If you don't mind, could you please give your perspectives on the events up until now?" The floor is yours, and all those in attendance look to you - some with warm eyes, some with critical eyes, but all sit in attention.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I'm going to ask each character to give a summary of a 'chunk' of the adventure thus far, in character, along with a Charisma check (Persuasion or Performance).

    Since Aetus was absent for the central "chunk", it might be best if Proud deals with the initial section up to him leaving, then spread it out for the rest of you.

    You can rearrange this as you want (it's your party after all) but as an example:
    Aetus-> Up to him leaving the group, what he did after that
    Gaks-> After Aetus leaves, up to entering the swamps
    Freya-> Swamps, Tiri Kitor
    Zuri-> Leaving swamps, Ghostlord
    Beorn-> post-Ghostlord, attack on the army, Ulwai's (apparent) deception.

    Both IC threads are linked in the OOC thread if you want to refresh your memories of it (especially Proud, it's been a while :P) but what you choose to include/exclude from the events thus far is up to you. Everyone will need to contribute though, no staying silent!
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    Aetus

    Aetus sizes the room and decides to speak first. He stands tall and proud, with a special node to his elven brothers. He reflexively straightens his gloves and starts to speak.

    "I am Aetus of the Tar-Quarisi. Neither words nor cities are my way. I am a scout and archer and I was with this team of warriors on a journey to Vraath Keep. On our way there, we were attacked by an unusually strong patrol of goblinoids, which we quickly dispatched. Continuing to Vraath Keep, we found it occupied, and dispatched the military presence there, with arrows, blades and magic.

    We quickly found that the various teams we were encountering were part of a larger force, led by individuals of note called Wyrmlords. After Vraath Keep, we encountered a giant named Warklegnaw, of the Twin Tusks tribe. I left my comrades and went with Warkenglaw in their new demesne in the mountains, to warn and perhaps befriend the Twintusks. In that, I was successful. I stayed and fought with them, as they attacked the supplies and reinforcements of the Red Hand. They taught me how to fight dragons, and gifted me with this ancient cloak, woven by me people long ago.

    But then, the tribe was small and the Red hand large. They soon figured that they could not keep fighting an army. The giants' losses mounted. Some weeks ago, under the urging of Warkenglaw, they decided to go back to their old ways, and leave the mountains. By then, very few warriors had been left, and almost all of the wounded.

    I then rejoined my comrades. They had become powerful and crafty in my absence. Their tale is theirs to say."


    Having nothing more to say, Aetus bumps his chest in the elven way and sits down. It is obvious that he is uncomfortable in the chair and unsure of what the social conventions are.

    Spoiler: OOC Roll
    Show
    Here is the Charisma, and Gygax help me (1d20)[17]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

    After the others speak their parts, Beorn gives the last bit in a clipped, concise, professional manner. "Leaving the Ghostlord, we located the advancing army. Seeking to hinder their progress, we attacked at a river crossing. Enemy response was rapid; little benefit was reaped, beyond perhaps forcing them to expend energy on extra patrols. Our companion Aetus rejoined after, bringing news of the defeat of our allied giants. We received contact from an enemy officer, apparently wishing to offer intelligence for clemency. We investigated her claims of a second army coming from the mountains; it was not found. It appears to have been a ruse, but the purpose not clear at this time. Internal conflicts among the enemy could be possible. Receiving word of this council, we returned."
    Spoiler
    Show
    persuasion (1d20+3)[13]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •