New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

Freya

Freya takes out her Staff of Healing, steps up to see Beorn and casts Heal on him, bringing him up to battle ready.

"Skewer that sniper, Beorn! for Lord Jarnaath!" Freya calls out, giving Beorn inspiration to lead the assault. She retreats back to her original position to keep out of the way and continue as support.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Freya steps over one square

Casts Heal on Beorn for +70 HP

Bonus action to Inspire Beorn (+1d8)

Steps back to her original spot.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

"Too old for this..." Beorn staggers up and seeks his attacker.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tubthumping!

Anyhow, stand up, move toward the "?", dashing will be required.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

As Beorn leaps to his feet from Freya and Zuri's healing, he's surrounded by Zuri's snakes that flitter up the stairs and towards the inky black darkness. They and Beorn close in together, ready to unleash fury on whatever creature lurks inside. Gak's firebolt streaks past them all, piercing into the black, but though there's a quiet grunt of pain the darkness does not dissipate. Instead there's a quiet breath and then it blips out of existence, vanishing once more and appearing suddenly instead on top of Gaks, immediately obscuring all her vision from light. Prepared as she is, it's difficult to see fists coming when you're blind, so when they strike at her, she's not able to muster a proper defense. Worse still is that the punch discharges a loud thwump sound which reverberates through her body and mind making her seize up, unable to move.

Spoiler: Maps
    Show

Not much on the player side, though Gak's firebolt hit despite me rolling the disadvantage side.

Gaks takes 17 and 15 bludgeoning damage (so 32 total). Ironically the crit did less damage, because it had no sneak attack. She is also stunned for a turn, so no actions. Believe that sets her to 5 HP?

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

The snakes see the darkness appear behind them and rush to help Zuri, diving into the darkness and attacking the enemy.

"Kill it. Whatever it is!"

Zuri then steps forward bumping into Gaks. She grabs her and pulls her back out of the way of the enemy.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

snakes fly back and attack the enemy.

Use rolls from last post.

Zuri grapples Gaks and drags her 10' away from the enemy.

Spoiler: Flying Snake
    Show
    Flying Snake
    Tiny beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Hit Points 5 (2d4) (+4 for mighty summoner)
    Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft., swim 30 ft.
    STR4 (-3) DEX18 (+4) CON11 (+0) INT2 (-4) WIS12 (+1) CHA5 (-3)
    Senses Blindsight 10 Ft., passive Perception 11
    Challenge 1/8 (25 XP)
    Flyby. The snake doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
    Actions
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage plus (3d4)poison damage.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn rushes back and lashes his whip into the darkness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move south, attacks (1d20+9)[27] (1d20+9)[15] (disadvantage) (1d4+6)[7] + (2d6)[8]
    (1d20+9)[11] (1d20+9)[19] (disadvantage) (1d4+6)[8] + (2d6)[2]

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks was reeling as she was pulled out. Trellara was still down the stairs, an arrow ready to fire into the first hostile shape that came into view.

Show
    I think Trellara will maintain that same readied action.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #457

Freya

There was a bit of a bottleneck at the top of the stairs. Freya listened at the fight going on, but there wasn't a lot she could do from her position. She held her ground until she could find an opening, keeping her wits about her in case anything snuck up on her down here.

Spoiler: inAction
    Show
    Need line-of-sight for most options, but I think it'll be best for Freya not to run into the darkness. She will use the dodge action and remain where she is..
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-12-11 at 12:06 AM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn and the snakes manage to catch up, but he's swinging blind into the darkness while the assassin seems to see clearly given their precise shots. His whip cracks through the darkness but the shuffle of feet says the assailant dodges around them. Some of the snakes are luckier, thanks to their preternatural senses, but their assorted bites don't bring the assassin down. Instead, he follows behind the dragged-Gaks, vanishing from beyond the reach of the snakes and appearing at the top of the stairs, shutting the door behind him and giving Beorn back his vision - if only for a moment.

Trellara looses her prepared arrow but she's essentially firing blind into a crowded staircase that contains at least two of her friends - she aims, but the arrow goes wide. With Zuri having gotten the black-clad assassin's attention by 'retrieving' Gaks and setting her snakes on him, he looses another two arrows at her, both of which strike hard through her armour. He follows, descending upon Gaks with full intent of finishing the job.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Trellara's arrow misses on the disadvantage.
    Any attacks of 17-or-more hit, which sadly means Beorn missed both of his, but some of the snakes hit.

Though it's not likely to stop much, the door between Beorn+Snakes and the rest of the group has been shut, so he needs to open it first (object interaction) to get through. It might matter more if turn orders were stricter. :P The assassin teleported out of range, so no OAs from the snakes.

Zuri takes 23 and 12 piercing damage in two separate batches, so needs 2 concentration saves. If I'm not mistaken that sets her to 1 HP.

It does mean that Gaks remains conscious, and no stunning strikes unleashed. For now.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri yells out to the snakes. "Help!" While she waits, she tries to hit the assassin with her magic vine.

The snakes wait for Beorn to open the door and then rush in to help Zuri and Gaks, flying over Beorn's head to get to the assassin.

Show
    Then thorn whip (1d20+7)[24], disadvantage (1d20+7)[17], damage (2d6)[8]

snakes fly in and attack the enemy.

Snake #1 14AC 9HP 13THP H: (1d20+6)[12], D: (3d4+1)[12]
    Snake #2 14AC 9HP 13THP H: (1d20+6)[17], D: (3d4+1)[7]
    Snake #3 14AC 9HP 13THP H: (1d20+6)[7], D: (3d4+1)[10]
    Snake #4 14AC 9HP 13THP H: (1d20+6)[18], D: (3d4+1)[11]
    Snake #5 14AC 9HP 13THP H: (1d20+6)[22], D: (3d4+1)[10]
    Snake #6 14AC 9HP 13THP H: (1d20+6)[20], D: (3d4+1)[11]
    Snake #7 14AC 9HP 13THP H: (1d20+6)[16], D: (3d4+1)[6]
    Snake #8 14AC 9HP 13THP H: (1d20+6)[16], D: (3d4+1)[8]

Show
    Flying Snake
    Tiny beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Challenge 1/8 (25 XP)
    Flyby. The snake doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
    Actions
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage plus (3d4)poison damage.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach tried to lift her shield up and stay in between the assassin and Zuri.

Show
    I'm blind, I have 5 hp, it's time to Dodge.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #461

Freya

The stairs are dark and as such, Freya can't see her allies to help them directly. She can still attempt to shoot the assassin and attempts to do so, difficult as it is.

Show
    If I remember the rules, Heal needs me to see the target. So that option is a no-go right now.
    Freya will step one square to the left on the map and attempt to hit the assassin with EB. I'm not expecting much.

Eldritch Blast
    Beam A (disadvantage): (1d20+8)[17] or (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage (1d10)[2] force.

Beam B (disadvantage): (1d20+8)[21] or (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage (1d10)[4] force.

Freya then steps one square to the right to get back out of the way.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn pursues, though tries a different tactic; he attempts to grab the creature in the darkness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move, open door, drop shield to get a free hand, then grapple check (1d20+7)[12] (1d20+7)[9]

if that fails, 2nd try (1d20+7)[15] (1d20+7)[8]

If the first succeeds, attack (1d20+9)[17] (1d4+6)[8] + (2d6)[6] (advantage attacking a grappled target canceling disadvantage, I believe)

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn bursts through the door and moves to grab the monster and lock him in place even as the snakes move in to swarm around the assassin and layer bite-upon-bite upon it. It doesn't miss, however, that even despite Zuri's whip slicing at its scaly skin and Freya's blasts piercing the darkness, two of its opponents were close to dropping - perhaps as close as he was. Beorn manages to land a hand on the monster's shoulder but all it seems to do is stabilise him for a moment as a wave of acid washes out from its darkness-cloaked maw to wash over Gaks and Zuri, searing skin and clothes both. The sizzling liquid seeps towards their arrow wounds especially, and both fall. Though Beorn had, briefly, held the assassin in place he feels the creature slip, or rather vanish, from his grip as the black globule vanishes again and appears at the bottom of the stairs, then rushes past both Trellara and Freya towards the windows at the back of the building. Even without hearing it, you hear the creature slam into the window and grunt with irritation. A lack of latches and apparently harder-than-expected glass prevent it from bursting through the window for the moment, though given its propensity for stepping through shadows it may be only a momentary reprieve.

Spoiler: Maps
    Show

Grappling doesn't give advantage btw, it just reduces speed to 0 while grappled. Would need a separate 'attack' to push prone to get advantage. Also dropping a shield takes an action but dropping the whip works instead.

Though Zuri and Gaks both made their saves vs. the acid breath (taking 16 each) they're still down for the count and in need of healing. On the plus side, the assassin now seems to be running, and they're moving noticeably more sluggish than before if you feel confident about trying to finish them off. Hard to convey hit points when they're perpetually shrouded in darkness.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn picks up his whip, muttering a curse, then steps over the wounded as he pursues the fleeing assassin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    forgot he had sentinel now instead of mage slayer. That may have helped at the barricade fight.

15. - Top - End - #465

Freya

Freya didn't want the assassin to escape, but she didn't know what the assassin was in order to hit it with the right spell. In addition, two of her allies were down and in need of healing.

"Trellara, take the shot!" Freya encourages with inspiration.

She rushes over to Zuri and carefully feeds her a berry to revive the druid. "Assassin is getting away." She points the direction.

Show
    Bardic Inspiration to Trellara (+1d8). Might make a difference on her attack.

Freya moves left one square and feeds Zuri a Goodberry for 1 HP.

I think that will be it this round. She'll revive Gaks next round unless something changes the plan.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks turned a slightly bluer shade of gray.

Trellara nodded and fired into the darkness.

She might have hit Gaks.

Show
    Kill this guy! Gaks will be fine! One death save success!
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-12-16 at 08:40 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri sits up with a start, the juice of. he berry running down her chin. She sees the darkness in the room below and knows the enemy is still here. She summons her fey and they again arrive as flying snakes. "Kill it!"

The snakes dive into the darkness to attack the monk. Zuri stands up and shuts the door to the bottom of the stairs, holding it closed.

Show
    Casts conjure animals with 4th level slot.

snakes fly in and attack the enemy, moving out of the way after they attack, so evenly spaced throughout the room.

Snake #1 14AC 9HP H: (1d20+6)[11], D: (3d4+1)[10]
    Snake #2 14AC 9HP H: (1d20+6)[9], D: (3d4+1)[5]
    Snake #3 14AC 9HP H: (1d20+6)[7], D: (3d4+1)[7]
    Snake #4 14AC 9HP H: (1d20+6)[18], D: (3d4+1)[11]
    Snake #5 14AC 9HP H: (1d20+6)[24], D: (3d4+1)[12]
    Snake #6 14AC 9HP H: (1d20+6)[18], D: (3d4+1)[9]
    Snake #7 14AC 9HP H: (1d20+6)[17], D: (3d4+1)[7]
    Snake #8 14AC 9HP H: (1d20+6)[23], D: (3d4+1)[8]

Zuri then shuts the door to the stairs.

Show
    Flying Snake
    Tiny beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Challenge 1/8 (25 XP)
    Actions

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Though Trellara's short rings hollow in the darkness, smashing only the window behind the assassin, Zuri's snakes - once again unhindered by shadow - tear into the assailant and quickly bring its life to a final end. Despite his confirmed death, the darkness does not recede immediately, leaving you to sit and recover while the animals hover over it. They're assured it's not playing dead, however, as even additional bits at scaled flesh cause no response. The rest of the building is quiet, though outside you can still see the scrabbling forms of people recovering bodies - those that haven't already broken and run at the fall (temporary or otherwise) of their lord.

Show

Combat over, victory. 'Spoiler' I guess but the darkness will drop in a few minutes, so giving opportunity for recovery/healing first, then loot+info, then next steps.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #469

Freya quickly feeds Gaks a Goodberry, stabilizing her friend. "We have slain the assassin," she tells Gaks with a relieved voice.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks stirred, blinking.
    "I fear… I may no longer be suitable for duty, Commander…" she said simply to Beorn.
    "I am spent in magic and blood."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

"We wish the engagement to be over, but the enemy, as always, has a vote in the matter. Let us get back to see to Lord Jarnaath after we search these bodies."

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri gets up slowly. "I'm not sure what more good we will be, but we can try."

The snakes flutter about, keeping their distance within the room, but watching for any signs of danger.

Zuri goes over to the body and tries covering items to eliminate the darkness. If she finds the right item, she will keep it covered and search the body.

Show

Show
    Flying Snake
    Tiny beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Challenge 1/8 (25 XP)
    Actions

23. - Top - End - #473

"We can definitely try! We've done so much tonight! We could help win this battle yet!" Freya encourages.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks laughed until she coughed up blood. "Very well. To Lord Jarnaath. I have killed enough. If the next hobgoblin whose death I cause is me I will have gone through too many on the way."
    She realized her crippled hand was trembling.
    "Devastator… has any hobgoblin earned the title more? Has any wizard killed more?" She laughed again, bitterly.
    "Sometimes I wonder why I even ran." She stood shakily. She was mostly looking at Zuri.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

When the oily black darkness finally begins to recede it shrinks quickly, eventually coalescing onto the shortbow clutched in the hands of a black-scaled dragonspawn. Humanoid, by all accounts, but the thick ebony scales and protruding horns mark him as one of Tiamat's offshoots even without wings or an elongated maw. A quick inspection of the man finds he carries little - dressed in only the bare minimum of clothing and no valuable coin. The shortbow he was wielding still retains some magic even with the darkness absent, and at his belt are two vials of oily black liquid. His quiver is half-emptied, holding only 12 more arrows.

Once you've taken a half moment to recover the items and catch your breath you head back into the square where there are precious few living remaining. A handful of militiamen, all armed with spears, and a knight, are all that remain, and the former seem ready to run. The rest are either inside the Cathedral or have broken and run. As you make your approach Tredora appears from one of the doors into the Cathedral, her clothes and face marred with blood belonging to others. She doesn't need to be a world renowned physician to see that Zuri and Gaks are barely standing and immediately sets about patching them up as best she can with her spells, though even those aren't fully sufficient. As she's taking care of the ministrations you hear the hard rapping of hoof on stone and a horse streams into the Cathedral square from the north, bearing a partially-injured Captain Ulverth, though the wound seems minor. He seems to have chosen not to use the telepathic bond for this - perhaps it slipped his mind in the panic at the 'loss' of Lord Jarnaath, or maybe there was simply no time regardless.

"They're coming." The weary Captain of the guard says, his breath choked out by strain and fatigue. "The Wyrmlords and more. They'll be here in minutes." He finally looks around, a somewhat sardonic smile creasing his features. "This will be the make or break moment, it seems." He shuts his eyes, and Beorn recognises it as now sending a telepathic message, and a few moments later Immerstal the Red appears from the Cathedral looking particularly displeased, but nevertheless ready for a fight. Ulverth sets about organising the meager forces he has left to command while Immerstal has seemingly resigned himself to fighting, if only to protect his income. Tredora is exhausted, but she too stands firm - what few remaining clerics are in the Cathedral, after all, and she'll stand in the Horde's way if that's what it takes.

Show

Unless you're willing to blow an Identify spell on the shortbow you won't have time to get its details now.

The two vials are both:
    Spoiler: Oil of Darkness
    Show

As an action you either pour this vial on an object you're holding (but not carrying/wearing) or throw it at a point on the ground within 20'. It causes the Darkness spell centred at that point/object for 10 minutes.

Tredora can drop 5 spell slots in healing - one of you gets 40hp total, one gets 50hp total.

Final preparations time.

I'll be rolling initiative tomorrow afternoon.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks lifted the magic shortbow and handed it to Trellara.
    "I don’t know the specifics but the bow itself is magic."
    She dismissed and reconjured Wibbles, ordering him twenty feet higher in the air to circle around and help the party locate anyone hiding from sight. She enabled her invisibility sight and managed to stomach a few goodberries.
    "Very well. To die or kill, and see if there is a difference."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #477

Freya says a prayer to her gods for luck. If her allies succeed here, it will be an epic sung by the bards for generations to come.

She will take a position behind a tree and wait. Hopefully their front line can hold against whatever comes.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri looks to the priest as she feels the divine healing wash over her. "Thank you, Tredora."

Once she's told that the enemy will come from the west, she has the snakes fly into the trees and hide amongst the branches. She looks around for cover, and perhaps a place to spring a trap.

"We should find a defensible location. If they come with dragons, we can't have them strafing us as they fly overhead."

Show

Show
    Flying Snake
    Tiny beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Challenge 1/8 (25 XP)
    Actions

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Cover is few and far between here - the open square with squat bushes was intended as a place of gathering, peace, and contemplation, not a war, and the defenders do not seem to have expected that they would fight a defensive battle all the way to the Cathedral steps. The Cathedral itself is unsuited to defending, as it's where the injured, the unarmed clerics, and Lord Jarnaath are, with no opportunity or place to move them. Though the snakes position themselves in the two bushes closest to you out of immediate sight, unless you're willing to squat down behind them your own forms are too large to gain any notable cover.

As you finalise preparations and spread out for their approach, you hear the heavy thump of massive footfalls on stone. Through the dim light spreading over the square, lit from afar by the city fire still burning, you see the final battle that stands before you. Two massive giants, each wearing massive backsacks filled with throwing rocks, enter accompanied by lumbering ogres. Standing in the 'cover' of one giant you spot Saarvith's wicked grin and overhead his bird companion. With the south giant is the duplicitous Ulwai Stormcaller. She has forsaken her mount, or lost it in the fighting, but the heavy crossbow in her hands looks deadly regardless. Finally in the centre is a figure you know well. Flanked on both sides by ogres of their own is the Ghostlord, the dry lich of the Thorn Wastes, pledged in service still to the Red Hand and its leader, who stands beside, though clearly in superiority to, the shrivelled husk of what was once a man. Wymrlord Kharn is massive even by hobgoblin standards, easily standing over 7 feet tall and clad in crimson full plate lined with red dragonscales. A massive longsword with a barbed edge is clutched tightly in one hand, while a shield rests on his other arm, and even at a distance you note that ice seems to cling to his armour, as if by magic, shards of the frozen liquid occasionally dropping down as he moves and shattering with a glass-like crash when they strike the ground.

To his army, the great Wyrmlord yells out. "Break them! But leave their heads to my blade! They will make a fine gift for our Queen!" The Horde roars, and battle is joined. Saarvith is fastest off the mark, rushing forwards slightly past his cover and conjuring a spell with one hand. Rivulets of thorns fan out from the hand he thrusts into the ground, streaking forward before they arrive at the Cathedral steps and bloom up into a vast garden of spikes and spines that threaten all who move within it.

Spoiler: Initiative List
    Show

Due to the size of the battlefield and the important characters involved we're going to break up initiative more than usual. Means more regular posting on my part but think it's important to avoid you getting potentially nova'd down in a turn.

Saarvith 24

Snakes 22
    Beorn 20 <- We are here.
    Freya 20

Ulwai 17
    Giants 16

Zuri 15
    Trellara 14
    Immerstal 13

Ogres 13
    Kharn 13

Gaks 12
    Captain Ulverth 11

Ghostlord 7

Knights/Soldiers 6
    Tredora 2

Spoiler: Map/Actions
    Show

Combat Log:
    Saarvith moves forward and casts Spike Growth, represented by the green circle.
    Saarvith's bird moves forward and Dodges.

Zuri's snakes haven't been given new orders, so they'll Dodge
    Beorn and Freya are up.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-12-21 at 02:45 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn takes a pair of shots with his bow, hoping to, maybe, end the enemy caster's ability to maintain the spell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bow attacks, targeting, Saarvith

(1d20+3)[22] (1d8)[6]

(1d20+3)[14] (1d8)[4]

switching back to melee mode