New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

"If you think we can catch all the scouts carefully, we could do so," Freya says.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

"Two miles nearer, spell cast, and then we mop up the scouts?" Gaks suggests before returning to refreshing the steeds. Luckily she has plenty of water.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri scurries out of Aetus' pocket and then returns to her human form. "Two miles sounds great avoiding any scouting parties until Freya finishes her spell. Then let's start hunting the scouts in the heavy rain."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus was impressed the first time Zuri became a mouse and rode with him and again when she became humaoid again. With a respectful nod at her abilities, he gives the report of his findings. As his companions make plans, a feral grin touches his eyes and mouth.

"This is good. Work your weather magic, and then we will teach these scouts what woodcraft means"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

It was only after a mile that Gaks asked: "What does Woodcraft mean? It... I think it's woodworking or surviving in the woods, but... those don't seem relevant in this context."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

You ride to a spot two miles closer to the army, now a mere three miles away, though you can't see them. There's little in the way of vegetation beyond fields of grass and the occasional sprouted bush, but at the very least they haven't burned the land...yet. It will be perhaps a few days at most though, for that remaining. The rain continues apace, showing no sign of ceasing for today at least.

Spoiler: Weather Sets
    Show

Precipitation - 4 (Rain)
    Temperature - 3 (Warm)
    Wind - 1 (Calm)
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Spoiler: Weather Sets
    Show

Precipitation - 4 (Rain)
    Temperature - 3 (Warm)
    Wind - 1 (Calm)
    Freya begins casting the weather spell from the staff. She concentrates to make the rain even harder, hoping to soften the ground to mud and make pulling the siege engines difficult.

Spoiler: Weather Forecast for Today
    Show
    Push Precipitation up to a 5, torrential downpour.
    Temperature up to a 4, cool
    Wind up to a 2
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri watches Freya use the magic staff and smiles as the rain picks up. "Great job, Freya. This should slow them down and hide us as we hunt the scouting parties. Aetus, lead the way."

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-06-15 at 07:10 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

It takes a full forty minutes for the rain to properly strengthen at Freya's spell. The cooling combined with wind and torrential rain sets fog across the Elsir Vale in the area, cutting visibility down even further, until you can barely see a few hundred feet at most (and even then only when not looking directly into the wind). It's a thoroughly unpleasant experience riding in the rain, with fat chill globules splattering at any exposed skin. The speed of your steeds only makes it worse, even if there's a small comfort that the Red Hand will also be enduring this.

Following Aetus' direction you head towards the closest set of scouts he detected, though they're gone by the time you arrive. Even with the rain Aetus is able to locate tracks however, confirming they're mounted. It sends you in a bit of a zig-zag direction rather than meeting them directly, but after an hour of searching you spot figures through the gloom and pouring water. The downside - they spot you too. While phantom steeds may only be quasi-real, they're as visible as any real horse, and even as you react to their sudden appearance, the mounted hobgoblin scouts do the same.

Spoiler: OOC/Map
    Show

It takes an hour to locate the scouts. During that time Freya can complete two more weather adjustments and begin work on a third, if she so chooses.

You guys are about on the maximum range of sight - roughly 300'. Beyond that distance you have to guess where they end up, because there's no chance you can hear them over the rain. Turns out hunting for people in torrential rain has its downsides beyond distinct lack of comfort.

Turn order: Freya->Enemies->Everyone.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    [SPOILER=OOC/Map]
    It takes an hour to locate the scouts. During that time Freya can complete two more weather adjustments and begin work on a third, if she so chooses.
    For now Freya keeps the weather at the current configuration. She doesn't want it to get so unnatural that it gives away the game too early. Wait until the army is professionally soaked before doing anything drastic. She does consider the what if scenario that the army may have a spellcaster with this spell too, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

With the scouts found, Freya decides to stay back and let her companions handle it first. She's too far for her spells, and has to keep concentration on the weather. For now Freya uses her full move to back away, using the fog to give her cover from the enemy.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Whether aware of the phantom steed's limitations or a coincidental strike, the volley of arrows that flies forth aim not at the riders but the mounts. One goes wide due to the distance, but even through the rain and fog the martial mastery of a hobgoblin is something to be feared and an arrow strikes the most forefront horses of Gaks, Zuri and Aetus, ending the spell on their mounts in an instant.

The fifth rider doesn't fire their weapon, instead blowing on a loud horn. The pattern of calls from it you can't discern, but it's clearly a military code of some kind. Given what Aetus detected earlier, the weather, and how loud it seems at this distance over the weather it isn't even clear if anyone will hear the horn's blow. It could be signalling a retreat, calling for reinforcements, or simply giving instructions on how those engaged in the fight should be directed - shouting orders in this weather wouldn't be easy, after all.

Show

Aetus, Zuri and Gaks' steeds all take a hit and are therefore 'dead'. They stick around for 1 minute but no longer act, so you need to dismount at half movement cost if you want to move. Currently, Aetus+Zuri are 300' from the closest guy, Gaks is 315' from him (he had to move forward to shoot Gaks' horse, couldn't retreat as far).

They then retreat.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus can feel the horse dematerialize beneath his feet. It takes a second to register what is happening. As he jumps of the spectral saddle, he roars.

"They are trying to make us lose mobility! They do not plan on engaging us, but to summon someone!"

They will have to run fast indeed to outrun me!

With a soft elven word and a movement of his hand, Aetus cajoles the wind to help him. His feet seem to barely touch the ground as he runs towards the escaping enemies. As he does, he points and shoots through the pouring rain to the one with the horn, his bow creaking under the strain

Show
    Casting Zephyr Strike, and since it is the first round, he gets 3 attacks in total. He moves towards them with MV15+10+30=55 Using Sharpshooter, here is the rolling. If the horn-blower dies, switching targets.

Atk1 (1d20+3)[18] or (1d20+3)[6] or (1d20+3)[9] dmg (1d8+18)[25] plus (1d8)[4] force damage
    Atk 2 (1d20+3)[19] dmg (1d8+18)[19]
    Atk 3 (1d20+3)[21] dmg (1d8+18)[25]

EDIT: That went well!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks concurred with Aetus’s assessment, and then he ran away. "Wibbles, go get on Aetus. Zuri, cut off their escape."
    Dismounting with a practiced motion, Gaks walked over to Zuri and laid a hand on her knee as her bat flew up to Aetus. Through her hand and her familiar, she granted flight to both Druid and Ranger.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Upcasting Fly to fourth on Zuri and Aetus. Which I believe gives Aetus plenty of time to kill them and get over any difficult terrain, and Zuri a chance to have her animals dash into melee with the hobbos.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri feels gravity release her. Having seen this work before, she knows what it means. "Thanks, Gaks. I'll try to cut them off. Beorn, dash up the middle to draw fire from Aetus, since he's the only one that can hit them from here."

She lifts up off the horse and flies as fast as she can at the hobgoblins, veering a little to the west to cut off their retreat back to the main army.

Show
    Dash forward, which I think puts her 210' away. She'll go slightly to the west since it looks like they are going that way.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn rides forward, following Zuri's suggestion.

16. - Top - End - #106

Freya didn't like the horn call one bit.

She moves her mount to follow her companions, keeping her distance in case we run into a trap or patrol or something. She keeps her wits about her, looking around and above for any potential enemies that heard the horn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (I'm assuming with disadvantage)

(1d20+7)[8] or (1d20+7)[18]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Aetus' arrows fly through the gloom, matching the hobgoblins shot for shot. His ones target a rider though, and fell them in a flurry. The body falls from its mount, collapsing into the soggy wet mud, but if the mount held any lingering affection for its rider it doesn't show it, following on with the escape, running with its pack even as the scouts move to separate and spread apart, splitting up rather than moving as one clump.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Zuri is 300' from the closest enemy (the bottom right), Beorn 325', Aetus 350'.

Aetus kills one hobgoblin.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri continues to dash to cut off the western most scout. "Aetus, start at the far left. We'll meet in the middle."

Show
    Dash forward again.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks got Wibbles onto her shoulder and followed more slowly after her flying companions, keeping her ears open for any ambush.

Show
    Move 30 feet closer to Zuri and make a Perception Check for me and my familiar. (1d20+1)[3] Gaks and (1d20+1)[21] Wibbles
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn rides forward, continuing his role of "bait". Hopefully they don't have a dragon close.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move and dash, leaving the east-most single guy to Aetus, moving opposite Zuri toward the remaining groups.

21. - Top - End - #111

Freya

Freya moves her mount south 40 feet, not quite as fast as her companions to give them distance, but not so much as to lose them either. She is continuing to watch the skies and behind the party for an ambush.

Spoiler: Perception check
    Show
    Perception with disadvantage

(1d20+7)[14] or (1d20+7)[14]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Aetus dashes forwards, his eyes not allowing him a clear shot through the rain. When Beorn rides up the hobgoblins snap their arrows first at his mount, but when the first shot hits and ends the magic maintaining the steed, they retarget to Zuri, before disappearing back beyond sight on their mounts. None of the three arrows that get launched in Zuri's direction strike her, but it's impossible to miss that they're targeting with clear priorities, as opposed to randomly or whomever is closest.

Show

Zuri is, technically, gaining on them - moving 120' on a dash vs. 100' on a dash for the enemy mounts, but Beorn is now also mountless, and they've now run off my map. Freya could catch up, eventually, (200 vs 100) but their tactics at this point are clear.

Not sure I should go turn-by-turn on this given that, I don't want to drag things out, so simply - is Zuri going to continue pursuit?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

In pursuit of the fleeing scouts, Aetus once again fires two arrows through the rain in quick succession, hoping to catch another scout.

Show
    Atk1 (1d20+3)[12] dmg (1d8+16)[20]
    Atk2 (1d20+3)[7] dmg (1d8+16)[19]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

The rain continues to pour around you as the scouts fall into the distance and you regroup together to recover what's on the scout's body. Freya's spell, uninterrupted, promises them a slow progress, and they don't seem to be interested in hunting you down directly. Indeed whether or not it's because of the horn announcement, no other Red Hand forces arrive, and you're left soaking in the middle of a field to decide on your next move.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show

The hobgoblin body offers you a long bow, a set of chain mail, a shield, a longsword, a dozen gold pieces, 20 arrows and a signal horn.

They don't have any notes or orders on them.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

"It is possible the army will now change course," Gaks mused. "We should all head toward it to make sure. Perhaps on foot so that Aetus can run ahead and remain hidden."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri reaches down and takes the horn. "Perhaps we can make use of this. In the meantime, getting closer to the army increases our risk but will make it harder for them to move around. The more rain we can put on them the better. But let's change our direction of approach since they know we were here. Maybe we could go one mile north then move towards the army."

Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-06-23 at 08:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Freya

"Should I worsen the wind? Or the temperature as we move on?" Freya asks. While being cold and soaked wasn't much fun, this was a welcomed change to the sweltering hot days traveling all across the Vale.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"I can provide us with warm shelter whenever we wish to stop," Gaakach said. "So either or both should not be an issue."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

"That outcome was less than ideal. We can get closer, but let us be sure we do not lose our avenue of withdraw."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

It takes Gaks some time to resummon a new set of steeds to move the party, but you leave the sodden battlefield behind soon enough and without interruption or further attacks. After relocating away from the conflict site, Aetus heads off to scout, abandoning his horse in favour of a more stealthy approach. Perceiving the Horde through the rain is difficult, though his keen ranger senses avoid the peril of getting lost. When he eventually does breach the edge of the rain to spot the goblinoid army he finds them not on the march at all, instead they are in the process of setting up fortifications for a campsite. Given your travel time this is perhaps a bit earlier than expected, though not by more than a few hours. Regardless, the ill weather seems to have convinced them for now to stop and hold, instead of continuing their march through the torrential downpour.

At this distance they don't spot Aetus, though how true that remains should he attempt an approach is another matter entirely.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC