New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "So either or both should not be an issue."
    With however much time Freya has on this second trek, she will increase the storm's wind speed another notch to 3 with the spell. Behold the little bard with the power of nature. The Red Hand shall look upon her and despair... or probably throw magic missiles. Freya decides against saying anything out loud, given her luck when boasting.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri moves into the tiny hut to warm up and exits to check on Freya since she knows that Freya can't go in the hut and keep the spell up. She's not sure if this weather is doing any good, though. Will delaying the army even make a difference? She wants to stop the army and not just delay it, but she is frustrated at her inability to do anything to make that happen.

"Freya, are you doing ok? You should use Prestidigitation to keep your clothes warm and dry. Let me know if you need anything."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    "Freya, are you doing ok? You should use Prestidigitation to keep your clothes warm and dry. Let me know if you need anything."
    Freya casts prestidigitation to dry herself a bit, even though she'll get soaked in short order. "I am thinking I will need rope to secure myself when the wind gets really strong."

She continues on the spell, raising the winds at a steady rate as time permits.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks pet Wibbles in the center of the bubble, unable to produce steeds in the confines of the smaller space. "Beorn," she said. "When you found me I was a sorry sight, a hobgoblin with a soaking spellbook, tattered clothes and a rat in my mouth. I... why? I never asked why you... why I'm here now."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus towards the direction of the army with a longing in his heart. He turns to his companions, with a hunter;s gaze in his eyes

"Why are letting them get comfortable? They should fear us, they should fear the night and they should fear the land. We must harass them. Strike, do heavy damage and repeat. They should be wary and disheartened.

Let's go. Let's find a target and make them bleed. Or let me get close and put a few arrows to anyone who thinks is safe."

Hearing Gaks talk to Beorn, and with his less than perfect mastery of social niceties, Aetus snorts barges in the conversation.

"Why are you here? You are a warrior, a great wizard, a fighter from a race of fighters. If more of your people followed you instead of these dragon lovers, you have done great things.

I am Aetus Hi ' Erion, of the Tar-Quarishi, and I say: Ask not why you are here. Ask why your people are not!"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn leans towards Gaks, "What did I see? Someone who needed help. And I needed someone to help. But we are long past that. Now we are all helping those caught in the path of events they did not cause nor can they stand against on their own."

To Aetus, Continued harassment will harm their morale, I think, though we can do little more than harry and hope a larger opportunity presents itself. The weather limits our ability to do this, but I believe it harms them more, so keeping it up must be a priority."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Game’s eyes focused. "Yes, the mission." she dismounts and remounts a replacement.
    "I believe that destroying their scouts and making terrain that requires scouting will be our best harassment moves. Did you find any scouts? Zuri can hide our approach."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #128

Freya continues to concentrate on increasing the winds, occasionally casting prestidigitation to dry her clothes. She thinks about how much wind she could throw at the army and knock over their tents and towers... before she ends up needing to tie herself down to a tree or something. These are interesting times.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

After taking time to collect yourselves, you trudge on through the grim weather. Any brief respite you felt inside the tiny hut (save Freya, of course) is swiftly washed away by the wind and rain that continues to pelt you. This is perhaps the worst journey you've ever had to make so far during your adventures in the Vale - worse than the stinking swamp, worse than the thorny desert - and it's one entirely of your own choosing.

It's two hours of slow slogging through the mud and splattered grass before Aetus finds a target - another small scout group, like the one you fought before. The field (of battle) looks much the same as the last one you fought in - vast open area that is swiftly turning into a bog due to the persistent rainfall. Zuri's Pass Without Trace allows you to get closer than last time, but even that spell has limitations. Still, while you're not quite 'on top of' the hobgoblins, the difference is stark.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Pass Without Trace doesn't actually give Hide in Plain Sight, but I thought letting you get within 100' (closer for Aetus) was reasonable given the weather conditions. RAW they'd just spot you at 300' same as before, since you need to be able to hide behind something in order to...hide. 'cept Aetus because wood elf.

Everyone except Gaks gets two turns due to surprise+initiative rolls. Gaks gets one.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Wibbles landed on Beorn's shoulder, and the water weighing down his armor suddenly started pulling up, making the Paladin weightless and able to direct himself through the air.
    So that you can reach your opponents." And in order to stay close to the action Gaks moved as far as she could directly east.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

"This does recall to mind one campaign in the distant North...but enough of that for the moment, the enemy is at hand." Beorn hustles to engage the nearest foe before it can react and flee.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move + dash for both actions, 25 ft move speed. If the ground is difficult terrain, he won't make it.

attacks from OOC:
    I guess he gets to attack. Attacking the rider.
    Att1 (1d20+9)[20] for (1d4+6)[7] +(2d6)[8]
    Att2 (1d20+9)[22] for (1d4+6)[10] +(2d6)[6]
    Last edited by stack; 2021-07-09 at 07:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

It's now or never. Zuri teleports forward and dashes towards the hobgoblins. She calls forth her fey friends to help her and they arrive in the distance in pairs of giant snakes. Each pair then slithers forward and tries to attack a hobgoblin rider.

"Come on everyone!"

Show
    Surprise round - Misty Step, Move, Dash for 90'.

Second round, move 30' then cast Conjure animals, conjuring each pair as close to its target as she can.

The snakes then move in pairs towards the 4 farthest hobgoblins and attack.

North Hobgoblin
    Snake #1 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[16], Damage: (1d8+2)[9] grappled on hit
    Snake #2 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[6], Damage: (1d8+2)[7] grappled on hit

Northeast
    Snake #3 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[18], Damage: (1d8+2)[6] grappled on hit
    Snake #4 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[19], Damage: (1d8+2)[6] grappled on hit

Southeast
    Snake #5 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[5], Damage: (1d8+2)[4] grappled on hit
    Snake #6 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[18], Damage: (1d8+2)[7] grappled on hit

South
    Snake #7 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[11], Damage: (1d8+2)[5] grappled on hit
    Snake #8 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[13], Damage: (1d8+2)[10] grappled on hit

Spoiler: Constrictor Snakes
    Show
    Constrictor Snake
    Large beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 13 (2d10+2)
    Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
    STR15 (+2) DEX14 (+2) CON12 (+1) INT1 (-5) WIS10 (+0) CHA3 (-4)
    Senses Blindsight 10 Ft., passive Perception 10
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
    Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: (1d8 + 2) bludgeoning damage. The target is grappled (escape dc 14) Until this grapple ends, the creature is restrained, and the snake can't constrict another target

13. - Top - End - #133

Freya

Freya continues to concentrate on the weather spell, guiding her mount to back away its full movement for now and keep out of archery range. Well, the wind maybe an issue with that, but they might have a sneaky spellcaster with a trick.

She continues to watch for a possible sneak attack or pincer move from another direction.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

As you fall on your opponents they're taken by surprise, and unable to immediately react. Beorn lays into one scout with his electric whip, though they're still alive and kicking after the shocking snap of leather cracks against flesh and armour. When Zuri's snakes appear they manage to wrap themselves around the wargs that they target causing yelps of panic and distress from the animals. The riders retaliate to help pull their mounts free - with their swords. One snake falls, its spectral blood already being washed away by the torrential downpour, but the others survive. The hacking blades are enough of a distraction that two manage to pull free, while two others are still caught in the summons' encircling bodies.

The Hob beorn attacked pulls away, his mount kicking up a shower of water to cover its escape, but the arrow that gets launched at the stalwart knight simply plinks against his armour.

This time, at least, their retreat isn't so clear cut.

Show

Beorn hit with both his attacks, but the scout is still up, mount disengaged, and moved away. They then missed with their arrow.

All four mounts were restrained, however north and southeast broke out, but haven't moved. A 13 hits a mount.

One snake got killed (marked on the map), the lower-southeast snake took 11 damage. The western-south snake took 12 damage.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks turns south, seeing a hobgoblin she alone seems to be equipped to handle. Beorn needed to keep flying, but she wasn't useless without her concentration. Only mostly useless. She aimed her hand at the mount the hob was on and let loose fire from the scar in her crippled hand. "Burn."

Show
    Fire Bolt! (1d20+8)[18]; (2d10-2)[6] I believe -2 is from the rain.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

The snakes are going to buy us time but they won't be able to defeat these riders on their own. Zuri pulls out her wand and shoots at the northernmost Worg.

"Beorn, keep up the attack. Everyone, take out the mounts, first."

Show
    Zuri casts magic missile at the northernmost Worg (3d4+3)[15]

The snakes again attack the Worgs.

North Hob
    Snake #1 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[9], Damage: (1d8+2)[10] grappled on hit
    Snake #2 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[8], Damage: (1d8+2)[9] grappled on hit

Northeast
    Snake #3 AC12, 0HP Dead
    Snake #4 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[16], Damage: (1d8+2)[8] grappled on hit

Southeast
    Snake #5 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[6], Damage: (1d8+2)[10] grappled on hit
    Snake #6 AC12, 2HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[17], Damage: (1d8+2)[5] grappled on hit

South
    Snake #7 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[14], Damage: (1d8+2)[5] grappled on hit
    Snake #8 AC12, 1HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[5], Damage: (1d8+2)[3] grappled on hit

Show
    Constrictor Snake
    Large beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 13 (2d10+2)
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
    Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: (1d8 + 2) bludgeoning damage. The target is grappled (escape dc 14) Until this grapple ends, the creature is restrained, and the snake can't constrict another target

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-07-10 at 06:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Freya

This engagement seems to do better than the previous one. However Freya notices one mounted hob not yet engaged by the party, however; that hob could come after her. Freya spurs her mount to move north it's full move. Is she being overly cautious? Probably. Then again, fire spells would be less-than-optimal in this storm!
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn too goes after the unengaged rider, lashing with his storm-infused lash.
    Spoiler
    Show
    moving 60' (ish, I think 55 gets him within reach) via fly,
    attack (1d20+9)[16] for (1d4+6)[7] + (2d6)[7]
    attack (1d20+9)[27] for (1d4+6)[7] + (2d6)[5]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Though your attacks continue to rain on the Red Hand, only one falls, that being Beorn's target. Its mount, now bereft of rider, lashes out at the armoured flying man, but the razor fangs find no purchase against his armour.

The northmost hobgoblin, their mount free of restrictions, breaks from the pack and rushes Zuri, seemingly intent on ending the summoning spell and allowing the rest of their. In this case though, their weapon doesn't find its mark, and nor do the rest of his compatriots manage to down any of the snakes that continue to harass their mounts. All told, it's a poor showing for the scouts - unable to flee, but not particularly effective at striking back either.

Show

Beorn kills a rider. The hobs otherwise roll poorly and hit nothing, though southeast again escapes the grapple.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri smiles as the hobgoblin charges her. At least it's not running away. Let's see what this new armor can do. Despite the new armor, though, she instinctively tries to avoid the oncoming attack. In return, she shoots at the northernmost Worg with her wand, trying to force the hobgoblin to dismount.

"Take out the mounts, first. Then we can hunt the riders at our leisure."

Show
    Zuri casts magic missile at the northernmost Worg (3d4+3)[9]

The snakes again attack the Worgs, with the two northern ones coming to help Zuri.

North Worg (move to hobgoblin if the Worg falls)
    Snake #1 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[23], Damage: (1d8+2)[6] grappled on hit
    Snake #2 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[24], Damage: (1d8+2)[7] grappled +5 =12

Northeast
    Snake #3 AC12, 0HP Dead
    Snake #4 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[14], Bite damage: (1d6+2)[3] already grappled

Southeast
    Snake #5 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[7], Damage: (1d8+2)[4] grappled on hit
    Snake #6 AC12, 2HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[16], Damage: (1d8+2)[7] grappled on hit

South
    Snake #7 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[24], Bite damage: (1d8+2)[6] already grappled Reroll 5
    Snake #8 AC12, 1HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[14], Damage: (1d8+2)[5] grappled on hit

I think I have all the grapples vs. bites right. If not, maybe just add one to switch a bite to a grapple or subtract one to make a grapple a bite.

Show
    Constrictor Snake
    Large beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 13 (2d10+2)
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-07-12 at 12:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn rushes to support Zuri, knowing the importance of maintaining the summoned creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move + dash

22. - Top - End - #142

Freya holds her position, observing the area outside the immediate combat in case another group of scouts come to reenforce this group.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks reached under the mount that had lashed at her leader, the claws of the grave reaching out to it from the ground. "Death."

Spoiler: Spell
    Show
    Toll the dead! (1d20)[14] wis save vs (2d12)[13] necrotic damage against the thing that attacked Beorn. The Warg.

EDIT: DC 17.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-07-15 at 01:19 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

The warg snaps at Beorn's retreating form, though his armour once again absorbs the impact of the blow, deflecting any damage or purchase the beast might have. It turns its attention to Gaks, after the necrotic energy wraps around it, rushing towards the wizard with ferocity in its injured gait, though she's slightly too far away for it to attack immediately.

Though two more wargs fall to the snakes and magic missiles, the scouts seem undeterred. The warrior in combat with Zuri reaches out and grabs her arm, preventing any sort of retreat. At the same time the rider of the fallen warg to the south rushes east, darting too fast for the snakes to retaliate. As he does so, his sword ignites with flames, and he brings it down upon the snake that holds his companion's mount hostage. Another swipe from the rider and the other snake falls dead, leaving the warg free to retreat. To the northeast, a similar scene takes place, with the rider ending the snake's life and then beating a heavy retreat, just as the other scouts did in your last encounter. You're left fighting one warg, bearing down upon Gaks, and two mountless riders, one of which holds Zuri in his steely grip.

Show

They actually hit something this turn, though even with a 20 they didn't scratch Beorn.

Zuri is grappled.
    Three more snakes dead.
    Two mounts dead.

Two mounted scouts retreating.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks lifted her shield in the face of the warg, unwilling to back down as she aimed her scar at the beast, forming a matching wound upon it.

Spoiler: TOLL THE EVEN MORE DEAD
    Show
    DC 17 WIS save (1d20)[9] or suffer (2d12)[5] necrotic damage
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn lays into the scout to try to free Zuri, with an eye on the flaming-blade hobgoblin as his next target.
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack 1 (1d20+9)[12] for (1d4+6)[9] + (2d6)[9]
    attack 2 (1d20+9)[10] for (1d4+6)[7] + (2d6)[4]

If either hits, burn a 1st level spell for smite (2d8)[3] radiant damage.

If first hits and the target survives the attack and the smite, smite with a 1st level spell on the second attack also (2d8)[8]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

The snakes attack the nearest hobgoblin, moving to the one with the flaming sword if they are able. Zuri then casts plant growth centered right in between the fleeing hobgoblins, trying to slow them down enough that Beorn can catch them. The entire eastern battlefield is covered with thick vines.

Show

The snakes again attack the hobgoblins.

Hob on Zuri or move to Hob with flaming sword if the first falls
    Snake #2 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[24], Damage: (1d8+2)[8] grappled on hit

South (attack hob with flaming sword)
    Snake #7 AC12, 13HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[14], Damage: (1d8+2)[3] grappled on hit
    Snake #8 AC12, 1HP, Attack: (1d20+4)[6], Damage: (1d8+2)[6] grappled on hit

Zuri casts plant growth, centered between the two worgs, leaving a clear 10' wide path to the center from our end

Show
    Constrictor Snake
    Large beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 13 (2d10+2)
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-07-16 at 07:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Freya is a little concerned for just a moment, but it appears the party has it under control. Meanwhile, she continues to concentrate on the spell, focusing on increasing the wind as she has. Freya wonders if there will be any prisoners this time?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

One thing is clear from the necrotic energy that again wraps around the warg - once a red hand beast commits, they do not submit. Despite their injuries, they push through, attempting to wrestle Gaks to the ground with its dripping maw, but she fights it off with her shield.

Though one snake manages to wrap onto Zuri's grappler, he persists in his attacks, dodging around Beorn's whip strikes. They keep him off balance enough that the druid escapes from any harm, however her snake to the southeast is not so lucky, falling to a particularly brutal sword slash that beheads it. His flaming sword dispersed in the rain, the hobgoblin slips past the remaining snake and rushes to the aid of his fellow. Though Zuri's plant growth slows the mounted rider's escape somewhat, they will soon be out of the overgrown area and, potentially, away.

Show

Warg takes damage but still up. Barely. 4 health left. Mixed Gaks with its attack, also barely.
    Hob grappling Zuri takes 8 damage, still up.
    Snake gets killed by a crit (3 remaining), otherwise the rest of the hobs roll awfully, though Zuri is still grappled.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

"Well... third time and all of that."
    She shoved her scar into the beast’s face, leaching the life out of it focused through her own crippling wound.

Spoiler: TOLL THE DEAD AND THE DEAD IS THIS THING
    Show

Wis save! (1d20)[5] It needs a 17 to avoid (2d12)[16] death!
    Show