New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e IC

Freya for now just watches this plan unfold. "You would have to change back to summon your animal allies, correct, Zuri?" Freya asks.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri grabs the torch from Wibbles.

"Don't give away our approach just yet"

She then turns to Freya. "Yes, although I could summon my friends here and have them fly out. If we summon giant owls or bats, they could carry us out, saving Gaks' fly spell too. We could approach from the east to take advantage of the wind. The darkness should hide us until we get closer."

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-08-09 at 05:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

"I will take the steed and hopefully distract them." Beorn states, swinging onto the phantom steed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    plan is to take whatever time needed to get close to the nearest giant, dismount, and fight, sending the phantoms teed back as suggested.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Once Gaks and Beorn are on their mounts, Zuri summons a pack of 8 giant owls. She then creates a shimmering force around the party, the owls, and any villagers in the area.

"Come with me Freya. We'll attack from the east."

They move two rounds east and then exit the village, flying south, low over the plant growth, before turning southwest to approach the giants from the northeast.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Summons giant owls. Uses bear totem to give everyone 13 THP, including the party, owls, phantom steeds, and any villagers in a 30' radius.

Spoiler: Giant Owls
    Show
    Giant Owl
    Large beast, neutral
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 19 (3d10+3) +6 (Mighty Summoner) = 25 + 13THP
    Speed 5 ft., fly 60 ft.
    STR13 (+1) DEX15 (+2) CON12 (+1) INT8 (-1) WIS13 (+1) CHA10 (+0)
    Skills Perception +5, Stealth +4
    Senses Darkvision 120 Ft., passive Perception 15
    Languages Giant Owl, Understands Common, Elvish, And Sylvan But Can't Speak
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Flyby. The owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
    Keen Hearing and Sight. The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
    Actions
    Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (2d6 + 1) slashing damage.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

As you make your approach, the rocks continue to stream past you in the darkness, whistling past your flying mounts, though they still don't seem to be aiming towards you specifically, they're just launching them towards the wall with a variety of throws and stones that cause different curves. How long the wall can stand up to this onslaught isn't clear, but time is still of the essence.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Gaks/Beorn are 110' from their closest giant. Zuri/Freya 245' from their nearest giant.

Wibbles isn't on the map but they're 120' behind Gaks.

Everyone's turn.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Swallowing, Gaks pushed her steed into a trot to get within fifty feet of the nearest. She dismounted, then ordered her Phantom Steed back to the walls.

Show
    Move the Phantom Steed on the ground for 50 feet. Dismount, have it dash back for 90 back toward the walls. I'll wait on my action for a bit, doubt I can pick something to concentrate on.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn rides forward, then leaps off his mount, sending the steed away while he puts his whip to use.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, so Beorn can still use his movement after dismounting? Haven't done much mounted combat in 5e outside this game.

ride 100' toward the giant. Dismount, using Beorn's movement to get within whip reach. Send the steed back if possible.

Bonus action: divine Favor, concentration, 1 minute, attacks deal +1d4 radiant

Attack (1d20+9)[28] for (1d4+6)[9] + (2d6)[5] lightning + (2d6)[5] + (1d4)[1] radiant (level 1 spell smite on hit - please note number of hits for spell tracking)

Attack (1d20+9)[15] for (1d4+6)[8] + (2d6)[5] lightning + (2d6)[6] + (1d4)[4] radiant (level 1 spell smite on hit - please note number of hits for spell tracking)

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Carried by the giant owl, Zuri starts to give her directions.

"Freya, your owl will listen to you. If you dismount, it will join us. The rest of you, split up a little and then converge on the two easternmost giants."

The owls spread out a little and move towards the easternmost giants, moving stealthily if possible as they fly low over the overgrown plants. Zuri's and Freya's stay a little behind the other 6.

Show
    Put about 10' in between each of them. I'm not sure how stealth and flying work together for what distance they can cover. Move the lower left owl 30' west and as far south as they can dash, with the front line of owls each 10' apart. Then the second row about 10' of space behind the front row. Keep Zuri's and Freya's in the back row.

Show
    Giant Owl
    Large beast, neutral
    Armor Class 12
    Speed 5 ft., fly 60 ft.
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Flyby. The owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
    Keen Hearing and Sight. The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
    Actions
    Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (2d6 + 1) slashing damage.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    "Freya, your owl will listen to you. If you dismount, it will join us. The rest of you, split up a little and then converge on the two easternmost giants."
    Freya understands and enjoys the experience of riding a giant fluffy owl. She stays near Zuri, following her formation directions for now. She will wait to cast until she can get into range.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks decides that it would be best if they could keep the horses for the way back, and she has the bell toll for the same giant that Beorn attacks.

Show
    I will try to finish of a giant (1d20)[17] WIS save he needs a 17 to avoid (2d12)[11] necrotic.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

As Zuri and Freya make their approach, Beorn and Gaks open up on the first giant on the left. The bright light of Beorn's shocking whip grants him sight to strike true, slamming two gleaming whipstrikes onto the giant who groans in frustration, even as the necrotic magic from Gaks rings in his ears. With a roar it lets the rock in its hand drop, taking up an enormous greatclub that may as well just be a tree trunk all on its own and slams it down twice upon the warrior in its path. Even with his armour and skill, the hefty blows rain down on Beorn, driving him down into the dirt. Though the other giants see what's going on - how could they not, after all? - they do not assist their companion, instead continuing with the task they were assigned - bringing down the wall. Rocks continue to fly past the owls still in the air, slamming into the dirt with ever increasing damage.

Show

Beorn hits twice.
    Gaks hits with TTD.
    The Giant retaliates with its greatclub, slamming it into Beorn twice, for 14 and 21 bludgeoning damage respectively, before reductions.

The other giants continue to pelt the wall with rocks in the meantime, they do not move to attack the group.

Freya/Zuri are now 140' from the nearest giant.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

With no time to worry about his blows, Beorn presses on stoically, plying his weapon with deft resolution.
    Spoiler
    Show

Concentration (1d20+2)[17] (1d20+2)[9]
    attack some more!
    (1d20+9)[13] for (1d4+4)[8] +(2d6)[8] lightning + (3d8)[20] radiant from smite and (1d4)[1] radiant from divine favor if he makes his concentration rolls

(1d20+9)[18] for (1d4+4)[8] +(2d6)[6] lightning + (see below) radiant from smite and (1d4)[4] radiant from divine favor if he makes his concentration rolls

If first hit and giant is not down, second attack uses 1st level spell for smite, so (2d8)[13], if first misses, uses first smite roll

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

As they get closer, Zuri's owl drops down and lets her off before continuing.

"Keep going!"

The owls continue their silent approach in order get about 50' from the nearest giant, with the three easternmost unmounted owls moving southeast to get in position.

Show
    Zuri dismounts at 70'. Four owls move forward to within 50' of the giants, three move southeast so they are northwest/west of the giants and about 50' from the nearest one. Freya controls her mount as long as she stays on it. If she dismounts, have it continue with the eastern group.

The hope is to get close enough to attack next round but stay out of usual darkvision range (60') of all but the two eastern giants.

Show
    Giant Owl
    Large beast, neutral
    Armor Class 12
    Speed 5 ft., fly 60 ft.
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Ideally, Gaks's steeds would be able to bring them back if the owls died, so Gaks focused on putting giants in the ground, continuing to spam her cantrips. Her main contribution had been getting Beorn into range, and she well knew that.

Show
    Okay if the giant we've been hitting isn't dead I will Toll it so. (1d20)[16] WIS needing a 17 to avoid (2d12)[12] necrotic.

But if it is dead I'll target the next one down the line with a Fire Bolt. (1d20+9)[28]; (2d10)[10] fire.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

Freya

Freya heard 'keep going' and she decides that it's a perfectly cromulent plan. She commands her owl to continue following the other owls. Freya draws out a torch and lights it, hoping to see the light reflect off the Giants ahead as the flock engages.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Even as the owls continue to make their quiet descent upon the giants, Beorn is slaying one. Two more potent whip cracks from Beorn fell the giant who roars its last. The other giants, dilligent to the end, do not even seem to notice their fallen comrade. They are utterly focused on the task that they were commanded to complete: Bringing down the wall. That is, until Gaks' firebolt streaks through the darkness and impacts on the next giant's bulging muscles. With a roar of irritatation the great hulking powerhouse turns its rocks from the walls, throwing them directly at the wizard who dared attack it. The first boulder streaks past her in the darkness, even as Gaks jumps to the side. Whether intended or accidental though, that jump would prove to be a mistake as the second rock, easily twice the size of her torso, slams right into her from the side, throwing her off balance and almost downing her in a single strike.

Show

Beorn slays a giant (both attacks required, and both hit).
    Gaks firebolts a giant, and he retaliates by throwing rocks. He misses the first and then crits for a total of 46 bludgeoning damage. Oof! DC23 concentration save to maintain Fly on the phantom steeds. Generously I'll say they were not flying high in the air and won't suffer fall damage if you fail it, it'll just make their movement a lot more limited.

The other giants that have yet to be attacked continue to throw rocks at the walls.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks landed sprawling on the ground. She was pretty sure she'd heard something crunch. Rolling to her feet, blood pooling from her mouth, she marched.
    You'll sleep when you're dead! She recalled Kirxia's voice in her head. It seemed so funny right now. She was pretty sure if she laughed her lungs would explode. Shame, everything was hilarious at the moment. Approaching the giant, she considered shifting through her component pouch, but her allies were coming in.
    As few resources as possible, she determined, and as the bell tolled in her mind, she wondered if it was really for the giant.

Spoiler: Toll! The! Dead!
    Show
    (1d20)[18] WIS save or the giant that just clobbered her takes (2d12)[7] Necrotic. And I'll try to get closer so that when this one dies I can try to get the other two giants in one area of effect.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn starts hustling towards the next giant, restoring his own vitality as he goes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move toward the next one, lay on hands for 29, brings him back to max health
    Last edited by stack; 2021-08-17 at 06:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

The owls split up, 4 attacking the western giant and 4 attacking the center one.

Once they have surrounded their prey, Zuri moves forward to about 60' from the center giant and calls out to it.

"Flee!"

Show
    On Western Giant:
    Owl1 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[12] for (2d6+3)[11]
    Owl2 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[19] for (2d6+3)[10]
    Owl3 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[16] for (2d6+3)[6]
    Owl4 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[9] for (2d6+3)[8]

On Center Giant:
    Owl5 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[12] for (2d6+3)[11]
    Owl6 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[9] for (2d6+3)[13]
    Owl7 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[17] for (2d6+3)[9]
    Owl8 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[23] for (2d6+3)[10] +4 Crit = 14 total

Zuri then casts Command, DC15 WIS save or "The target spends its turn moving away from you by the fastest available means," provoking AOO from the surrounding owls.

Owl5 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[23] for (2d6+3)[6] + 7 Crit = 13 total
    Owl6 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[13] for (2d6+3)[10]
    Owl7 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[4] for (2d6+3)[14]
    Owl8 AC12 HP 25 THP: 13 Attack (1d20+3)[22] for (2d6+3)[10]

Show
    Giant Owl
    Large beast, neutral
    Armor Class 12
    Speed 5 ft., fly 60 ft.
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-08-17 at 02:54 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Freya

Torch in hand, riding upon a giant owl, Freya feels like vallejo painting. She casts her spell, now that she's close enough to the east-most giant. 'Fight the other giants. They are you enemies now,' she whispers. She then commands her owl to move west so that Freya can provide support to her companions.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Int save on the east-most giant (DC 16) (1d20)[8]

Owl moves west with Freya.

Spoiler: Spell, Enemies Abound
    Show
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 120 feet
    Components: V, S
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You reach into the mind of one creature you can see and force it to make an Intelligence saving throw. A creature automatically succeeds if it is immune to being frightened. On a failed save, the target loses the ability to distinguish friend from foe, regarding all creatures it can see as enemies until the spell ends. Each time the target takes damage, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Whenever the affected creature chooses another creature as a target, it must choose the target at random from among the creatures it can see within range of the attack, spell, or other ability it’s using. If an enemy provokes an opportunity attack from the affected creature, the creature must make that attack if it is able to.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks' bell reaches through the dark to wrap around the giant, but he shrugs it off, barely, before retaliating against Beorn - the smallest and therefore "most easily squished" foe in his vicinity. The stalwart fighter manages to deflect one of the greatclub blows with his shield but the second one crashes down upon him with thunderous force, almost entirely wiping out the healing he'd just granted to himself.

Rather than resist Zuri's commanding word, the giant simply looks nonplussed at it, not understanding the concept behind it. What it does understand however is being attacked by the parliament of owls that swoops down upon the collected living siege engines, attempting to rend them with its talons. The giant retaliates, landing two solid blows but not quite ending its life against its attacker. When Freya's spell slithers into the eastern giant's mind, it rushes west. In response, the two owls at its side land scratching blows against its flesh. One on its own isn't enough to break the spell, but the added pain from the second strike shakes it out of its stupor. It continues on, slamming its greatclub into the centralmost owl and ending its life, before turning around and smacking another owl with a solid blow.

Show

Not all of Zuri's owls could make it to the central giant, so I put the other two on the eastern one. Two owls hit the Western giant for 16 total. One hit the eastern one for 9.

The giant (barely) resisted Gaks' toll the dead. He then smacked Beorn for 25 bludgeoning damage, missing with his other attack.

The Giant ignored Zuri's Command because it turns out it doesn't speak Common. Had to double check the statblock for that.

Enemies Abound doesn't rely on languages though, as it turns out. The giant moved, provoking 2 OAs which both hit for 23 total, provoking new saves, the second one of which he passed, ending the spell. Together the central+eastern giant killed one bird and knocked off the 13 temp HP from the one to the eastern giant's northeast.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks yelled over at Zuri: "Flykte! The word is Flykte!" in a weak voice. Then she resumed whittling away at the giant, asking it whom the bell tolls for with some confusion.

Show
    It can't keep rolling 18s forever. (1d20)[1] vs (2d12)[24] necrotic. I don't see these owls getting out of this fight so let's just keep Fly on the Phantoms Steeds best I can.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn takes the hit and pays it back in kind, saving nothing for the future.
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack (1d20+9)[16] for (1d4+4)[5] plus (2d6)[11] lightning + (3d8)[7] radiant
    (1d20+9)[23] for (1d4+4)[5] plus (2d6)[10] lightning + (3d8)[19] radiant

If both hit, he is out of all spell slots.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

The owls continue to attack the giants, standing their ground. Zuri backs up and casts magic missile at the westernmost giant that is still standing.

Show
    On Western Giant:
    Owl1 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[14] for (2d6+1)[9]
    Owl2 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[4] for (2d6+1)[4]
    Owl3 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[19] for (2d6+1)[6]
    Owl4 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[23] for (2d6+1)[5] +7 = 12

Center Giant:
    Owl5 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[15] for (2d6+1)[6]
    Owl6 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[18] for (2d6+1)[8] I missed that this one was killed

Eastern Giant:
    Owl7 AC12 HP 25 +0 THP Attack (1d20+3)[6] for (2d6+1)[6]
    Owl8 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[20] for (2d6+1)[10] (this is Freya's)

Zuri backs up to 80' away. Magic Missile: (3d4+3)[12]

Show
    Giant Owl
    Large beast, neutral
    Armor Class 12
    Speed 5 ft., fly 60 ft.
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-08-18 at 06:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Freya

Freya commands her owl to fly in a snaking path to get close enough to see the giants and allies. When she does, she tries to cast a spell against the one that has broken out her spell, for she did not give it permission to do so.

Show
    Owl moves 35 feet Southward. That should give Freya sight to the giants.

Casting Eldritch Blast on the East-most giant. Let's see how the dice are feeling--

Beam A: (1d20+8)[28] for (1d10)[8] (+7 crit) force damage.
    Beam B: (1d20+8)[15] for (1d10)[1] force damage.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-08-18 at 10:41 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

With the continued hefty blows from Beorn, and a vicious tolling of the dead from Gaks, the second giant collapses to the ground with an enormous crash. The remaining owls swarm the remaining giants, boosted by the blasts and beams of magic that stream through the dark from Freya and Zuri. The giants, now thoroughly beset by foes, abandon their stones entirely and take to bird-crushing, smashing their clubs into the giant owls. It's only thanks to the the bear spirit that one doesn't instantly fall, though another isn't so lucky, falling and beginning to dissipate from the sheer force of the giant's blows.

Show

The giants have an AC of 13, so if you rolled 13+ then you hit 'em and did damage.

Beorn did need both hits (and Gaks' max damage toll the dead) to barely down the giant, by 2 hit points, so he's outta spell slots.

One owl gets smacked for 29. Another gets killed, as on the map.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn moves toward the next giant, pausing only to restore himself again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    can't get in reach, so move then dump the last 11 HP from lay hands to get up to 54 HP.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

The owls continue to attack the giants, fluttering around them and trying to draw their attacks. Zuri moves forward again and casts magic missile at the westernmost giant that is still standing.

Show
    On Center Giant:
    Owl1 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[8] for (2d6+1)[9]
    Owl2 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[14] for (2d6+1)[6]
    Owl3 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[19] for (2d6+1)[8]

On Eastern Giant
    Owl4 AC12 HP 9 +0 THP Attack (1d20+3)[12] for (2d6+1)[6]
    Owl5 Dead
    Owl6 Dead
    Owl7 HP 25 +0 THP Attack (1d20+3)[7] for (2d6+1)[3]
    Owl8 AC12 HP 25 +13 THP Attack (1d20+3)[12] for (2d6+1)[7] (this is Freya's)

(If the one the giant just killed was the one he had previously injured, then add 13 THP to #7)

Zuri moves forward to 50' away. Magic Missile: (3d4+3)[9]

Show
    Giant Owl
    Large beast, neutral
    Armor Class 12
    Speed 5 ft., fly 60 ft.
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions

29. - Top - End - #209

Freya

'I'm on the owl, that flaps in the night...' Freya whispers and let loose two more beams of magic, this time on the giant to her south, aiding the parliament of owls.

Show
    Two eldritch beams, no waiting:

Beam A attack: (1d20+8)[22], damage (1d10)[5] force.
    Beam B attack: (1d20+8)[17], damage (1d10)[4] force.

Freya commands her owl to move 40-ft west, then 10-ft south.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks kept advancing and cantriping! No fear!

Spoiler: TOLL THE DEAD
    Show
    (1d20)[5] vs (2d12)[16]
    Show