New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,496 of 1496
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

A lot of early QC was essentially: this somewhat quirky but actually pretty grounded person (ie. Marten), reacts to having weirdness inserted into otherwise normal everyday life by people who seem ordinary but are actually pretty wacky (ie. basically everyone else).

Roko has actually, over time, managed to transition into a real and interesting character and while her actual job is a mess because Jeph can't manage to keep the nature of his AIs steady as long as she's not working she serves as the grounded audience proxy character around which wacky shenanigans orbit. Also, because characters like Yay, Beeps, and Nelson are more limited, the events can focus naturally on Roko rather than being spread across every character in the frame at once.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

I rather like the line "This dress was outcompeted for food by its other, larger nestmates."

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel like Jeph's fabric-drawing skills have leveled up somehow. I mean, he's always paid some attention to shading on clothing right from the start, and random samples of the archive are consistently pretty good shading-wise. But the pattern on Beeps' dress in the last couple comics - and the before and after of her putting it on - have been impressively realistic.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I rather like the line "This dress was outcompeted for food by its other, larger nestmates."
    The whole verbose monologue reminds me of this in a good way.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Roko has actually, over time, managed to transition into a real and interesting character and while her actual job is a mess because Jeph can't manage to keep the nature of his AIs steady as long as she's not working she serves as the grounded audience proxy character around which wacky shenanigans orbit. Also, because characters like Yay, Beeps, and Nelson are more limited, the events can focus naturally on Roko rather than being spread across every character in the frame at once.
    I very much agree. Roko is the most well-rounded AI, if not probably one of the most well rounded characters in the comic, in that we have a good idea of what she's like, and I think she's very easy to get invested in.

This also means that when we have an arc with Roko, we can focus on the jokes and her interactions with other characters and get a payoff for the scene without having to revisit all the build-up, unlike the previous one in the coffee shop which was all setting up for "Marten and Claire meet Willow" that didn't really go anywhere.

I also agree with Mordokai. This feels like 'old QC', and I think it's because a character is actively being witty. QC to me was always the comic with snarky characters making interesting references and verbally sparring with each other - Brun making dog-based puns, Claire calling Clinton a nerd and Willow making dolphin-like noises over Clinton X Elliot doesn't really compare.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #1476

So Nelson wasn't really an ordained minister? I think it was a title in the strip where he was revealed to be an attorney.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe he's both. I can't imagine he has a lot of actual work to do in that office.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Maybe he's both. I can't imagine he has a lot of actual work to do in that office.
    I thought the group dynamic was that Nelson was the one who did all the actual office work and such?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I thought the group dynamic was that Nelson was the one who did all the actual office work and such?
    I think so too, but until Romo showed up I doubt he had much of substance to actually do with how inept Beepatrice is.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2022-04-21 at 06:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

My first thought on seeing the pajama tops Beeps was trying to loan Roko was "If she turns one of them inside-out, will the lettering still show through?" And Jeph comes through with the answer!

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    My first thought on seeing the pajama tops Beeps was trying to loan Roko was "If she turns one of them inside-out, will the lettering still show through?" And Jeph comes through with the answer!
    Indeed. I find it interesting how Jeph cares for the details in clothing.

12. - Top - End - #1482

Griffon

I'm really appreciating the improvement in background details as of late. In the last arc, Coffee of Doom was more or less 80% a blank grey blackboard that didn't have anything written on it and several almost-blank yellow walls, but Roko and Beep's apartment looks great. Cosmetics on the dresser, clothes hanging in the wardrobe, different pictures on different walls every time they enter a new room, random pottery and furniture.... Jeph is putting in a lot more effort and I hope it signals a renewed passion for the work.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-04-26 at 04:01 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree, I really liked the detail of the shirt being inside out so that the text was faded and backwards but still visible - and I appreciate that it's just subtly inserted rather than really called out.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I find it interesting that Beeps appears to be a half-way house between Roko and Melon - largely functional in everyday life, but slips into the non sequitor tray every so often.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

I've missed Millefeuille.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nothin' wrong with some robo-gals havin' a few cyber-drinks and dressin' cozy.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Jeff got irritated at the amount of horny comment there was in reaction to Roko's dress

18. - Top - End - #1488

Griffon

Not to come across as a chauvinist or anything, but... Isn't that rather the point of a malnourished black dress?

Also, that's a bit rich coming from the guy who invented MommyMilkers420! As the saying has occasionally gone; every accusation is a secret confession...

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Colossus in the Playground

Can we not raise random speculation to the level of an established fact?

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Can we not raise random speculation to the level of an established fact?
    Indeed. Now we simply know that Roko in particular is uncomfortable with being viewed lived by an unknown number of anonymous people and assumes at least some of them are enjoying themselves a bit more than the others.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I think Jeff got irritated at the amount of horny comment there was in reaction to Roko's dress
    Which is kind of funny, considering that Jeph's the one who setup the universe such that a large number of AIs choose to put themselves in bodies that conform to conventional measures of human attractiveness. Millefeuille went so far as to undergo the equivalent of plastic surgery to make herself more attractive. If AIs object to sexualization of themselves they can just remove those characteristics from their bodies/digital personas (Roko, admittedly, may be the rare exception). So just being in an attractive form represents on some level a desire to be, well, desired according to human-based metrics.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Colossus in the Playground

Which is kind of funny, considering that Jeph's the one who setup the universe such that a large number of AIs choose to put themselves in bodies that conform to conventional measures of human attractiveness. Millefeuille went so far as to undergo the equivalent of plastic surgery to make herself more attractive. If AIs object to sexualization of themselves they can just remove those characteristics from their bodies/digital personas (Roko, admittedly, may be the rare exception). So just being in an attractive form represents on some level a desire to be, well, desired according to human-based metrics.
    For all the flack Jeph gets for making his AI characters deal with real-world issues, someone just flawlessly adapted the "she shouldn't have dressed sexy if she didn't want whatever kind of attention she got!" canard.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    For all the flack Jeph gets for making his AI characters deal with real-world issues, someone just flawlessly adapted the "she shouldn't have dressed sexy if she didn't want whatever kind of attention she got!" canard.
    AIs aren't humans. Sexuality is something they get to choose. They don't have to deal with it if they don't want to. This is one of the many ways in which the experience of being an AI is drastically different from that of being a human. Nothing 'adapts flawless' across the flesh/digital divide.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2022-04-28 at 05:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1494

AIs aren't humans. Sexuality is something they get to choose. They don't have to deal with it if they don't want to. This is one of the many ways in which the experience of being an AI is drastically different from that of being a human. Nothing 'adapts flawless' across the flesh/digital divide.
    Humans with clothes, makeup and in some cases, cosmetic surgeries which make them conventionally attractive can also choose not to have those things. The fact they can choose not to have something does not make it OK to objectify them for it. Humans generally make themselves look a certain way because they like looking that way, and AIs can do the same.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Ogre in the Playground

Roko cant change body, remember? She has extreme dissociative problem with a perfect recreation of her body, do you think she could stop being sexy just because she wanted to?

I think Jeph may have made it reasonable with Roko.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Roko cant change body, remember? She has extreme dissociative problem with a perfect recreation of her body, do you think she could stop being sexy just because she wanted to?

I think Jeph may have made it reasonable with Roko.

It's not a perfect recreation - it's the latest iteration of her model. There are subtle differences that I suspect are the root cause of the dissociatiation.

On a seperate subject - New thread for everybody...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee