A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 871 to 900 of 1090
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Personally, I don't see the inconsistency - if we presume that they both see this kind of bickering as all in good fun (and Clinton is comedy freaked out but doesn't seem Actually Traumatised), then I don't think it's odd for them to treat it very differently to what they discussed before, which was more like "you're trying to control my life." The subject of the previous discussion wasn't "you keep teasing me", after all, unless I badly misremember. I can very easily imagine a pair of siblings behaving this way- combatitive, but capable of going "okay seriously, this specific behaviour is bad, let's stop."

    except for this week when Claire is apparently willing to sabotage their mother's streaming career in order to humiliate her brother.
    I doubt that's what's going on - think once again you're ascribing more meaning to an action than Jacques is. Fiction needs to make sense, but it also gets to tell you what it thinks "sense" means. (And of course you get to disagree.)
    - Avatar by LCP -

  2. - Top - End - #872
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    There are a good number of people who say being *******s to each other is an integral part of a close friendships, now personally I would find anything beside friendly teasing annoying but point is that they made up does not automatically mean she won't mess with him. Some people constantly mess with people they are on good terms with.

  3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    I mean, claire, you arent exactly happy about your job or proud of it either as its not what you want to do. Did you really expect your mom to go "Oh yay! My daughter took a job she isnt interested in to pay the bills to hold her over till she can get one in the field she is after! I will break out the PARTY weed!"?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  4. - Top - End - #874
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    She expected her mother to respond positively to something she presented positively. Duh.

    (You're also greatly overstating her disinterest in her Coffee of Doom job.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    She expected her mother to respond positively to something she presented positively. Duh.

    (You're also greatly overstating her disinterest in her Coffee of Doom job.)
    Fair, but is it really surprising that when she goes "OMG I HAVE A NEW JOB" that her mom assumes its in the field she's been job-hunting all the time? And then is a bit "Oh, I assumed..." for a second without it meaning the end of the world? I mean she recovered real fast from it too, it was Claire who made it all weird afterwards.

  6. - Top - End - #876
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Fair, but is it really surprising that when she goes "OMG I HAVE A NEW JOB" that her mom assumes its in the field she's been job-hunting all the time? And then is a bit "Oh, I assumed..." for a second without it meaning the end of the world? I mean she recovered real fast from it too, it was Claire who made it all weird afterwards.
    Let's be honest. Claire had to be almost dragged by the feet to settle for a job she wasn't interested in. It's great that she turned around and actually excited about working, but her mother had no context to know that and therefore, if Claire breaks happily with "I GOT A NEW JOB", I fully understand why her mother would assume.

    Now, mommy should have hugged Claire and told her that she loves her and is proud of her no matter what. But maybe Mommy is a bit insecure herself

  7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Let's be honest. Claire had to be almost dragged by the feet to settle for a job she wasn't interested in. It's great that she turned around and actually excited about working, but her mother had no context to know that and therefore, if Claire breaks happily with "I GOT A NEW JOB", I fully understand why her mother would assume.

    Now, mommy should have hugged Claire and told her that she loves her and is proud of her no matter what. But maybe Mommy is a bit insecure herself
    Nah, im going to say this is 100% on claire here. She led with "oh my god i got a job!" with a lot of enthusiasm, and then when it turns out she oversold the significance of this a bit, her mom reacts to that normally. She was really happy for Claire, then kind of sad for Claire when it turned out she had to settle for something less than what she was looking for.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere...

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    I'm betting we're going to see a new character introduced next year. He's going to be a robot, and his name will be Dong.

    And a Happy Thanksgiving to all.

  9. - Top - End - #879
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    I feel like I've missed a strip again. Wasn't Claire in a depressive spiral and about to spend the rest of the day under a blanket, and now she's cracking wise with a smile on her face like it never happened? Or is the power of Faye's "Nah, you're okay, don't worry about it" a cure for anxiety that prescription medicine cannot hope to match?

    Also, quick question; anyone know how long it takes to fire a pot? I did a little sculpture in school, I recall it's supposed to be done twice for 8-12 hours per time, or something like that. I only ask because Pintsize has had thumbs for one day - he got a body, missed his interview, got examined by Faye, went shopping, then Clinton and Elliot got laid, Yay went nuts and had to be talked down by Aurelia, then Marigold was woken up by May and went to yoga before Claire Got A Job this morning.

    Lots of 24/7, Open-All-Night pottery workshops in the QC universe, it seems?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I feel like I've missed a strip again. Wasn't Claire in a depressive spiral and about to spend the rest of the day under a blanket, and now she's cracking wise with a smile on her face like it never happened? Or is the power of Faye's "Nah, you're okay, don't worry about it" a cure for anxiety that prescription medicine cannot hope to match?
    I mean, that's kinda how it goes in my experience? Either you actually do fall into some bleak emotional spiral and spend the rest of the day under a blanket, or you cry it out and stabilize again because that's how brains work.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2021-11-25 at 05:43 PM.
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  11. - Top - End - #881
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thufir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I feel like I've missed a strip again. Wasn't Claire in a depressive spiral and about to spend the rest of the day under a blanket, and now she's cracking wise with a smile on her face like it never happened? Or is the power of Faye's "Nah, you're okay, don't worry about it" a cure for anxiety that prescription medicine cannot hope to match?
    She's clearly starting to feel better at the end of 4662, and it's unclear how much time passed between that and 4663.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Also, quick question; anyone know how long it takes to fire a pot? I did a little sculpture in school, I recall it's supposed to be done twice for 8-12 hours per time, or something like that. I only ask because Pintsize has had thumbs for one day - he got a body, missed his interview, got examined by Faye, went shopping, then Clinton and Elliot got laid, Yay went nuts and had to be talked down by Aurelia, then Marigold was woken up by May and went to yoga before Claire Got A Job this morning.

    Lots of 24/7, Open-All-Night pottery workshops in the QC universe, it seems?
    Just because the comic doesn't mark its timeskips doesn't mean they don't happen - either 4621 or 4626 could easily be an indeterminate number of days later, and I find it natural to assume there was a timeskip in there somewhere given Pintsize's expanded wardrobe.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

  12. - Top - End - #882
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    I mean, that's kinda how it goes in my experience? Either you actually do fall into some bleak emotional spiral and spend the rest of the day under a blanket, or you cry it out and stabilize again because that's how brains work.
    Fair enough, I don't claim experience in these matters and I'm happy to have it confirmed that abrupt is not implausible. The first part of my question was genuine, it was only the Faye bit that was facetious. I think it's a little too abrupt from a narrative point of view to go from "appearing to be starting to feel better" to "chirpy and upbeat" in the space of a few minutes - "show, don't tell" and all that - but... eh. Fair enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Just because the comic doesn't mark its timeskips doesn't mean they don't happen - either 4621 or 4626 could easily be an indeterminate number of days later, and I find it natural to assume there was a timeskip in there somewhere given Pintsize's expanded wardrobe.
    I feel like there could be SOME indication and it wouldn't cause much hardship for the script or art. After all, Claire has spent all day at work, then visited her mom for dinner, then spent time (a couple of hours? More?) streaming and it's still not even dark yet. Some context as to when any of this is happening would be nice, is all.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-11-25 at 07:30 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  13. - Top - End - #883
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    theangelJean's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Today's comic: I keep forgetting that of the two of them, Marten is now the one with the library job.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

  14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Today's comic: I keep forgetting that of the two of them, Marten is now the one with the library job.
    I don't think that's the job she'd want. She'd rather have Tai's job... Maybe that's actually how this is gonna go. Tai is moving on to a different job, and Claire is taking over for her

  15. - Top - End - #885
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    What even is Tai's job, anyway? According to the wiki she has a Liberal Arts degree (which, given her interest in horrible literature, might well be English & Comparative Studies or something?), and a little while ago there was brief discussion as to whether or not she would stay at the library after she graduated - by the sounds of it she might not have a Masters, or if she does, it's not even in Library Sciences.

    At the absolute best she might have the same qualification as Claire, so she's not a Librarian. She's... Senior Administrator, maybe? That's a branch of customer services, it's more or less equivalent to Penny's job but just happens to be in a library. It's adjacent to working towards librarian, but it's still a hop to a different school and far from ideal for what Claire actually wants.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-11-26 at 01:23 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    What even is Tai's job, anyway? According to the wiki she has a Liberal Arts degree (which, given her interest in horrible literature, might well be English & Comparative Studies or something?), and a little while ago there was brief discussion as to whether or not she would stay at the library after she graduated - by the sounds of it she might not have a Masters, or if she does, it's not even in Library Sciences.

    At the absolute best she might have the same qualification as Claire, so she's not a Librarian. She's... Senior Administrator, maybe? That's a branch of customer services, it's more or less equivalent to Penny's job but just happens to be in a library. It's adjacent to working towards librarian, but it's still a hop to a different school and far from ideal for what Claire actually wants.
    Its possible it could be a good stepping stone though. Its librarian adjacent and being basically put in charge of a college library is the kind of thing that looks good on your resume when you apply to be a librarian elsewhere. Now we need to have tai decide she wants to be a house wife or something after she and dora get married (which is perfect for all sorts of drama if he decides to go that route)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Tai's job title is probably 'Supervisory Library Technician' or 'Lead Library Assistant.' These are effectively the same thing simply with different labels, though technician is technically more senior so that more likely Tai's position. Library technicians are the people who perform most of the day-to-day labor inside a library. They are not librarians and instead report to them, something Tai has mentioned doing (to my knowledge no librarians have appeared in-comic except possibly the time Marten discovered two people making out in a closet).

    Library technicians are not especially well paid, making only marginally above minimum wage at national average of $15 an hour. Mass is a wealthy state so Marten probably makes more (and he got a significant raise for the aforementioned closet incident), but it's unlikely he makes more than $20 an hour and Tai almost certainly makes less than $25 an hour (though they both may be eligible for shift differential, holiday pay, and some amount of exam week overtime to boost their overall salaries, though Marten at least, appears to work days).

    As such, being a library tech doesn't really pay that much. Most retail or other service positions will be only a couple of dollars an hour behind it and will actually have greater opportunity for promotions and raises since a technician can't become a librarian without a masters. Depending on how many shifts Claire pulls are Coffee of Doom, she might well bring in 40% of the shared income of her and Marten as a couple.

    Being a library tech probably does carry significantly greater job satisfaction compared to being a barista, especially for someone who actually wants to be a librarian, and it also serves as a holding station for lots of people like Claire who want jobs as librarians but can't find openings. This is one reason why getting an actual librarian job is so difficult for a new graduate, they're competing against numerous graduates who have years of experience as technicians.
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

  18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Thats always been a fun problem, trying to find a demand for a specific career, then filling it before its too bloated for more. When I was in high school, I was in a program that trained us to be CNAs when we graduated. There was a huge demand for rns, so applying to a college that had such courses was a good idea for a next step sort of thing. Trying to join a nursing program to be an RN at the time had a TWO YEAR WAITING LIST. Meaning by the time i would get into the program, graduate, and start applying, there would have been two years worth of full courses of nurses already filling that need. Plus the rest of my own class.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  19. - Top - End - #889
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Delicious Taffy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Now we need to have tai decide she wants to be a house wife or something after she and dora get married (which is perfect for all sorts of drama if he decides to go that route)
    Why do we need that? If anything, I'd expect Tai to switch to working at one of the other three jobs in town (CoD, the bakery, and the bar). She doesn't strike me as the "domestic goddess" type, at any rate.

  20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Why do we need that? If anything, I'd expect Tai to switch to working at one of the other three jobs in town (CoD, the bakery, and the bar). She doesn't strike me as the "domestic goddess" type, at any rate.
    No but she did have a bit of an issue with "partaking" a bit too much iirc so the idea of just staying at home during the day rather than working a 9-5 job might be interesting to her while elading to varying confrontations. Like I said, im just sorta looking for excuses for drama.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Tai's problem is her known and acknowledged habit of turning up to work high. She can get away with that at the library, but I don't think she would get very far anywhere else. I'm almost amazed that the library lets her get away with it, but having seen how the librarians act...

    No other employer (apart, possibly, from the local weed vendor) would put up with this. We have an actual example in COD - Remember, Faye was fired for turning up to work drunk and then being caught drinking at work (2876, 2879 - 2880). She might have gotten away with the first scene, but the second was enough to condemn her.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-11-28 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Changed wording - original was correct in context, but might have triggered some reports
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  22. - Top - End - #892
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    No other employer (apart, possibly, from the local weed vendor) would put up with this.
    She could join the police! No wait, what am I even saying....

    I had the idea that she could manage the second branch of Coffee Of Doom. Dora mentioned it a while ago that she could open another shop, and Tai has experience managing people, so it could become a 'family' franchise. Jeph already made the joke about CoD becoming an opium den for tea-sniffing AIs, why not go all the way and get a weed license so that Tai's expertise can be put to good use while at work and sell hash brownies?

    Hell, let's go one step further - Jhim decides to retire and sells the Secret Bakery to Dora. She already provides the coffee for the shop and sells SB products in CoD, it makes plausible sense that they just merge into the Secret Bakery of Doom or something. That way Dora can manage one shop with Penny and Hannelore, Tai can manage the SB with Renee and Elliot, and Claire can have Tai's job in the library.

    Marten continues to be passive and barely notices that he has gone from being Claire's supervisor to her underling in the space of a month. Faye sells her pie recipes to the SB and generates an income from patents/consultancy fees/whatever. Bubbles becomes a full-time cash register maintenance specialist. Nobody mentions the nepotism because of course not.

    Peak in-universe incest, no one will ever have to leave their home or the store/s ever again!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-11-28 at 09:12 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    I had forgotten the police. Well, at least they weren't drink-driving...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  24. - Top - End - #894
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Windscion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Oh goody. Yay is playing Dear Abby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25
    They carry their spears in their hearts!
    Because some adventurers left them there.

  25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Ah, damn, Spookybot showed up... I hope they don't get it into their head and want to help, by getting Tai or one of the actual librarians fired, to create an opening for Claire.

  26. - Top - End - #896
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Yay showing up kind of makes sense; They're the only person who knows Aurelia's true identity outside of streaming and ISN'T one of her kids. She already screwed up The Talk with Claire, I can understand why she wouldn't want to call on Clinton for fear of doing the same to him, and it's not like she can talk to Marten (who as far as she knows is consoling Claire) or to BurgerOni from whom she has thus kept her personal details a secret.

    I wish this was the comic that we got on Wednesday, though. We've already seen Claire go home, be consoled, and is now emotionally soothed enough to be smiling and making jokes with Pintsize about his new hobby - we already know she isn't permanently traumatised or even been upset for more than an hour. There's no tension, we already know its a misunderstanding that has mostly blown over and so Aurelia's fretting is unnecessary.

    This strip would have worked a lot better as a cliff-hanger last week and the Claire/Faye talk starting today; if Aurelia thought she had ruined her relationship with Claire and we got to spend the weekend wondering if that were true *before* we then saw Faye's pep-talk if would have been more effective. Instead, there's no stakes here - Aurelia is upset because she thinks that Claire is upset, but *we* know that Claire isn't upset even before Yay arrived at Aurelia's house to discuss the issue. We're watching Aurelia exposit a situation that we know isn't happening, and Yay reassure that it might not be so bad when we already know it isn't.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-11-29 at 05:07 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Yay showing up kind of makes sense; They're the only person who knows Aurelia's true identity outside of streaming and ISN'T one of her kids. She already screwed up The Talk with Claire, I can understand why she wouldn't want to call on Clinton for fear of doing the same to him, and it's not like she can talk to Marten (who as far as she knows is consoling Claire) or to BurgerOni from whom she has thus kept her personal details a secret.

    I wish this was the comic that we got on Wednesday, though. We've already seen Claire go home, be consoled, and is now emotionally soothed enough to be smiling and making jokes with Pintsize about his new hobby - we already know she isn't permanently traumatised or even been upset for more than an hour. There's no tension, we already know its a misunderstanding that has mostly blown over and so Aurelia's fretting is unnecessary.

    This strip would have worked a lot better as a cliff-hanger last week and the Claire/Faye talk starting today; if Aurelia thought she had ruined her relationship with Claire and we got to spend the weekend wondering if that were true *before* we then saw Faye's pep-talk if would have been more effective. Instead, there's no stakes here - Aurelia is upset because she thinks that Claire is upset, but *we* know that Claire isn't upset even before Yay arrived at Aurelia's house to discuss the issue. We're watching Aurelia exposit a situation that we know isn't happening, and Yay reassure that it might not be so bad when we already know it isn't.
    Why does Aurelia's secret identity come into this? It's an unrelated event. Aurelia could say to anybody she knows that she screwed up talking to Claire. Preferably someone who actually knows Claire. Or somebody that she's spent more than 5 minutes talking to.

    I mean, I get why it is Yay. Out of the existing comic characters, Yay is the only one who knows Aurelia but isn't in Claire and Marten's social circle. Even so, you'd think we could have had a phone call between Aurelia and Veronica or something like that.

  28. - Top - End - #898
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Why does Aurelia's secret identity come into this? It's an unrelated event. Aurelia could say to anybody she knows that she screwed up talking to Claire. Preferably someone who actually knows Claire. Or somebody that she's spent more than 5 minutes talking to.
    I can see why shouldn't want to risk it, to be honest. "My daughter just started a new, low-paid job but she'd rather be doing something specific to her Masters" is enough information for Claire to be identified, and then the person she's talking to just has to ask one inconvenient question about the evening:

    "Claire was at my house and had already gotten annoyed, then I made an even worse blunder about her new job..."
    "Why was Claire annoyed in the first place?"
    "Uhh...."

    Then what does she do? Lie about why Claire was upset and risk making it worse, or expose herself as a streamer? Bare in mind that she's also very high, and probably not making the best decisions even with that taken into account....
    I agree, it's a paper-thin excuse for Aurelia to KEEP having a secret identity after Yay already went over and installed military grade firewalls and sound-dampening thingummijigs and the rest of it, but if that's what Jeph wants, then whatever.

    Does Aurelia even know that Marten is related to Veronica? I don't think that the two had been introduced. Although I'd quite like to see that happen; Mistress Veronica Vance and MommyMilkers420 apparently have more in common than you'd expect from first glance
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-11-29 at 08:45 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  29. - Top - End - #899
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Tai's problem is her known and acknowledged habit of turning up to work high. She can get away with that at the library, but I don't think she would get very far anywhere else. I'm almost amazed that the library lets her get away with it, but having seen how the librarians act...

    No other employer (apart, possibly, from the local weed vendor) would put up with this. We have an actual example in COD - Remember, Faye was fired for turning up to work drunk and then being caught drinking at work (2876, 2879 - 2880). She might have gotten away with the first scene, but the second was enough to condemn her.
    Come on, we can't be expected to remember stuff that happened at the midpoint of the comic...

  30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Come on, we can't be expected to remember stuff that happened at the midpoint of the comic...
    You're not supposed to memorise them? Dang, that is going to make reading them so much easier!
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •