New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Heres a quick test. Can anybody identify anything that either member of the relationship actually likes about the other besides a physical attraction to their body?
    I did a quick skate through the strips, and came up with the following:

Clinton comments positively on Elliot's build (physical attraction, alas) and bread-making skills.

Elliot? Nothing much, really. I think he admires Clinton's intellect, but that is implied rather than stated.

Granted, the number of pages that apply is tiny, but even in the pages where characters are discussing the relationship there's virtually nothing like that to work with.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I like it fine in the intent that I see (not whim or spite). I think Jeph is trying to pull off a 'look at the adorkable dorks be adorably awkward until they finally figure it out' storyline, but it just isn't working. Instead of being adorable, it is slow, cringe-y, and... well, just plain awkward (that's really the best word, IMO, no need to grab the thesaurus).
    This seems likely, and I think part of the problem is that neither of these characters is actually 'adorkable.' Clinton, very clearly, is a high-strung, slightly neurotic type nerd - the recent strips where he interacts with Yay are quite indicative of this. Elliot, by contrast is a 'gentle giant,' with such substantial anxiety issues that other people have to tiptoe around him. This, critically includes Clinton, who very clearly 'turns it down' when around Elliot. That's a recipe for relationship doom because one half of the relationship cannot actually be themselves around the other half.

Now, if this relationship is intended to implode, all well and good (and honestly, it would make sense for a relationship in which both members are exploring a previously unplumbed aspect of their sexuality to not go all that well long term), but it's hard to see that as the trend considering the extensive effort put into making it happen at all.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Granted, the number of pages that apply is tiny, but even in the pages where characters are discussing the relationship there's virtually nothing like that to work with.
    Yeah. I think this kind of demonstrates the lack of chemistry.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Heres a quick test. Can anybody identify anything that either member of the relationship actually likes about the other besides a physical attraction to their body?
    Each of them got shot down by Brun, so they both have "horny and willing to settle for their second choice" in common with each other?

I like it fine in the intent that I see (not whim or spite). I think Jeph is trying to pull off a 'look at the adorkable dorks be adorably awkward until they finally figure it out' storyline, but it just isn't working. Instead of being adorable, it is slow, cringe-y, and... well, just plain awkward (that's really the best word, IMO, no need to grab the thesaurus).
    I think this is where I am with the story, too. Elliot and Clinton do have chemistry - it's that sort of bubbling-under, "not quite ready to erupt" kind of sexual tension. I don't watch much anime, but that's where I recognise it from - two dorky teenagers who carefully brush against each others' hands and immediately break out in huge fountain-like nosebleeds, such is their outrageously 'lewd' behaviour!

And it's just so very, very tedious. I know QC has shifted its genre multiple times over the last ~16 years, and generally I've liked exploring where it's gone, but this is one of the genres that doesn't appeal to me; less so when such a simple concept is dragged out over years worth of comics between two characters who I happen not to like very much anyway. I'm sure that someone, somewhere likes this kind of thing, but I was tired of it when Marten/Faye were finally killing off their tease, and again when every stranger in the world turned up to give advice to Faye/Bubbles on the same subject....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-08-03 at 05:45 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

For the record, I'd personally categorize all the flustered flailing about as infatuation and note that the claim of lacking proper chemistry refers to needing substantial deeper friendship shown, or the progression towards one, and that has not been sufficiently demonstrated. In other words, the attraction feels paper thin to the audience, and isn't as believable as other relationships.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bored petulant demigod outside of Clinton's mother's house (excuse me, "Cosmos' house"). I'm certain nothing bad will happen.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Bored petulant demigod outside of Clinton's mother's house (excuse me, "Cosmos' house"). I'm certain nothing bad will happen.
    At one level, I don't want to see Something Bad Happen, but at another level, in terms of plot, this should end, yes, very badly. I assume we'll get more Wacky AI Hijinks and Clinton's mom will be just fine with a stranger bursting into her home at 2 in the morning.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    At one level, I don't want to see Something Bad Happen, but at another level, in terms of plot, this should end, yes, very badly. I assume we'll get more Wacky AI Hijinks and Clinton's mom will be just fine with a stranger bursting into her home at 2 in the morning.
    While I agree that Clinton's mom is fairly likely to roll with the punches (especially if she's high at the moment), it'd also be pretty hilarious if Yay lets themself in and she thinks (well, okay, *accurately deduces*) they're trespassing, and hits them over the head with a baseball bat.

Insert absolute panic on the part of everyone who gets roped into the "oh no I knocked out/murdered an AI" subplot *except* Yay, who of course can just blip over to another body no harm no foul (and would presumably wish to enact some sort of token vengeance on principal, though Roko might talk them down from doing so).

9. - Top - End - #429

SwashbucklerGuy

Was there a particular reason Yay doesn't just buy a dog? Or a hundred dogs if they wanted?

10. - Top - End - #430

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Was there a particular reason Yay doesn't just buy a dog? Or a hundred dogs if they wanted?
    They spent a lot of their money on charity, a while back. Maybe they don't have enough for all that many dogs, anymore? Also, it's cheaper to steal someone else's dog, and it's not like even the richest person on the planet is gonna say "no" to free stuff.

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    They recently said that officially acquiring more pets would be like cheating on the ones they have now.

12. - Top - End - #432

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    They recently said that officially acquiring more pets would be like cheating on the ones they have now.
    I think that was specifically directed at this specific body getting a pet in this specific apartment, living separately from their "main" dogs. Like when you abandon your wife and kids on the weekend to visit your other family.

13. - Top - End - #433

First time I find suspence in QC

I am actually surprised to see that Yay has found its place in the comic, and is now added value.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #434
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, just because you want to meet and pet other peoples animals doesnt mean you should want to buy another thousand of your own. Yay learned of an intriguing dog breed in the area and wants to pet.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Consider that Clinton likely did not tell Yay his last name, or his mother's name, or where his mother lives.

Yay has had to look all this information up, demonstrating again that she's an incarnation of how ugly the information age really is.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    While I agree that Clinton's mom is fairly likely to roll with the punches (especially if she's high at the moment), it'd also be pretty hilarious if Yay lets themself in and she thinks (well, okay, *accurately deduces*) they're trespassing, and hits them over the head with a baseball bat.
    I wonder if Yay would merit the "other bat" option...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-08-04 at 01:15 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

17. - Top - End - #437

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Consider that Clinton likely did not tell Yay his last name, or his mother's name, or where his mother lives.

Yay has had to look all this information up, demonstrating again that she's an incarnation of how ugly the information age really is.
    That or they used their remote dog-sensing suite. There probably aren't a lot of borzois in the area.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

18. - Top - End - #438
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ah! I'd thought I remembered a comic referencing her + defending herself with a baseball bat but couldn't find it so I just assumed I'd gotten it wrong!

19. - Top - End - #439

Interesting. I remembered that Cosmo was a found stray, so my first thought on hearing Yay's interest a few comics ago was that maybe it was Yay's lost dog. But even so, the linked comic establishes that legally it's Aurelia's dog now. Plus now that I think of it, Yay wouldn't be capable of losing a dog.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

20. - Top - End - #440

How loud are they being out there, if Whatsername can hear them? Also, who gives a damn about their weird insecure rambling? Shut up and go grab a dog, already. Or don't. Either way, shut up about it.

21. - Top - End - #441

Griffon

QC's concept of time becomes increasingly amorphous.

Elliot and Clinton met up at 7pm. They banged immediately, had a panic attack, and suddenly it was 2am and the power went out. Holy cow, those boys have stamina. Or Jeph forgot. Possibly both, for the sake of fairness.

Now Yay has walked from Roko's apartment to Aurelia's house in about the time it took them to say 6 sentences, the building lights are back on (even though the streetlights aren't, and everyone is still outside sharing power and stuff), and Aurelia has apparently been gaming uninterrupted for hours, unless she waited for the power to come back on and start a stream at 2:15am.

Although I suppose, technically, it's after midnight now so at least that wasn't another 800-strips-long day. That's na improvement, for certain.

22. - Top - End - #442

Old habits? Like taking hostages and torturing them?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

They could have fallen asleep after the sex and before having their panic attack.

As for Yay's travelling speed: Well I guess they travel at the speed of plot. They're not the first one to do that either. Here's Momo ending up in the repair shot at the end

As for the power, its very likely was a localized outage, and Clinton's mom didn't even notice it. But heck, I barely hear my phone ringing when I wear my headphones, I sure as heck don't hear anyone mumbling outside through a closed window. Or open window.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    They could have fallen asleep after the sex and before having their panic attack.
    Yeah, I would guess they made a day of it in one way or another (and probably not constant banging from ~7am to 2am). Which doesn't preclude Jeph forgetting.

As for Yay's travelling speed: Well I guess they travel at the speed of plot. They're not the first one to do that either. Here's Momo ending up in the repair shot at the end
    I'm guessing the six sentences we see are the highlights of a drawn out internal monologue. There's only one of me and I've had arguments with myself (and potentially someone not present with whom I'm frustrated) that have taken an entire dogwalk.

As for the power, its very likely was a localized outage, and Clinton's mom didn't even notice it. But heck, I barely hear my phone ringing when I wear my headphones, I sure as heck don't hear anyone mumbling outside through a closed window. Or open window.
    Agreed. A transformer blowing covers a couple blocks, tops. How big the section of town where everything happens really is is one of the more nebulous aspects of the comic.

25. - Top - End - #445

Griffon

Agreed. A transformer blowing covers a couple blocks, tops. How big the section of town where everything happens really is is one of the more nebulous aspects of the comic.
    Fair enough. When it looks like she's only been walking for 10 seconds, "a couple of blocks" sounded way more significant. Then again, I live in a country where small but significant parts of our infrastructure don't explode at intervals random enough to be unpredictable, but often enough to be disregarded as a minor annoyance.

Well. Literally at least, if not metaphorically...

Although on second glance, Aurelia also appears to be streaming with only one monitor, and from what I've seen of RL streamers THAT is probably the most outrageous thing in this strip!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-08-05 at 10:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Although on second glance, Aurelia also appears to be streaming with only one monitor, and from what I've seen of RL streamers THAT is probably the most outrageous thing in this strip!
    UHD is not really needing a second (iff you can easily read writing that small).
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

27. - Top - End - #447

Yay has vertical leap. Who knew?

28. - Top - End - #448

Griffon

The "mommymilkers" thing was a blip, but that aside I continue to like Aurelia. Sees a stranger in need and immediately reaches out to help... But takes her dog and a baseball bat with her, just in case. Smart lady.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, its an AI that is clearly ranting to itself at a high enough volume to be heard from the second story while busy doing her own thing. A little precaution for the potentially crazy ai is of course warranted.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #450

SwashbucklerGuy

Not saying the bat is a bad idea, but would it really be that effective against an AI that can leap 20ft in the air?