New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    They removed that part because it detracted from the flow of the climax.
    They didn't even remove the part. They just had someone else rely on technology and fail. One who we're led to believe was a better trained pilot than Luke since he's the guy who got assigned to the task first.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    They didn't even remove the part. They just had someone else rely on technology and fail. One who we're led to believe was a better trained pilot than Luke since he's the guy who got assigned to the task first.
    This is the first time Luke has flown in an X-wing, so Biggs' endorsement aside, all of them are better trained than Luke.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Wrong. In the original script, there was 3 actual shot at the exhaust port. Once by Red Leader, and twice by Luke. Red Leader and Luke1 used both the computer, while Luke2 used the Force.

It plays in the classic rule of 3, where the sequence is "Fail, Fail, Success".

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Wrong. In the original script, there was 3 actual shot at the exhaust port. Once by Red Leader, and twice by Luke. Red Leader and Luke1 used both the computer, while Luke2 used the Force.

It plays in the classic rule of 3, where the sequence is "Fail, Fail, Success".
    Gold leader, Red Leader, and Luke.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

(As an aside, to me, the bigger "what the hell?" in the trench run is that the Y-wings didn't use their dorsal turrets to fend off the TIE fighters in the trench...)
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Gold leader, Red Leader, and Luke.
    Nop. Gold Leader always gets shot down before he got the chance.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The point is that they didn't change the theme. Somebody better trained using actual technology makes the shot first, and fails. Luke is about to make the shot using actual technology and is told to put the technology away and trust ancient mysticism. He does, he makes the shot, medals and cake for everyone (except Chewie). The third shot was removed because it's redundant. We don't need to see Luke fail to make the shot with technology because we've seen someone else fail and we're told (via Kenobi) that Luke will fail if he tries.

What does this have to do with the price of eggs or the feelings of an unfathomably powerful super AI? Nothing! Because this is a Star Wars thread now.

So, how about The Last Jedi? Good Star Wars movie, or Best Star Wars movie ever?

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    So, how about The Last Jedi? Good Star Wars movie, or Best Star Wars movie ever?
    Well, it finaly brought us an actual Sith Lord (hail lord Ren, using his emotions like Sith are supposed to do), but the heavy-handed sacrifices and the "controversy" for the sake of it really drags it down from the golden throne of entertainment one was expecting to gaze upon when entering the theater.
    So I'd say merely Good Star Wars movie. Best ever probably goes to Empire Strikes Back.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Never heard of it.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Did Holdo turn off her targeting computer before doing a hyperspace ram?

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

#HanShotFirst
    #LukeShotTwice

12. - Top - End - #522
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Did she say "pew" right before doing the hyperspace ram?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean.. she had to override it. I don't think the computer had a route calculated when she triggered the hyperspace jump..

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

"Off-planet account"? Does the QC universe have colonies on the Moon or Mars now?

The Star Wars commentary appears to have been unexpectedly on point.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

15. - Top - End - #525
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    "Off-planet account"? Does the QC universe have colonies on the Moon or Mars now?

The Star Wars commentary appears to have been unexpectedly on point.
    I'd guess it's something to do with the Station up there in orbit.

16. - Top - End - #526

I'm just glad Yay is using their impossible psychic robot powers for literally something. Geeking out over pets and arguing with theirselves barely counted. And hey, it's for a good cause.

17. - Top - End - #527

Griffon

I'm not going to lie, I read the first sentence in that bubble - you know the one - and I gave up. I have absolutely no confidence that it's worth reading all of that nonsense just so that Jeph can pretend that Yay's character and credibility haven't just been wiped out. Again.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

"Off planet"?

Does Yay know something we don't? Well, yes, that's a given. But off planet suggests looming global financial collapse. That's distressing.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Prediction: Yay is gonna join Mommymilkers as a co-host, they get drunk and high together, end up in bed together, cue Clinton coming in by morning for pancakes and hillarity ensues.

Probably not, but I really can't tell at this point where its going, so might as well be this.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    "Off planet"?

Does Yay know something we don't? Well, yes, that's a given. But off planet suggests looming global financial collapse. That's distressing.
    Probably more in a "off planet is not in the jurisdiction of any country and therefor the perfect tax haven" way.
    Last edited by Morquard; 2021-08-18 at 05:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Or "you should put your money in an off planet account" is the QC-verse equivalent of getting trapped in a "conversation" with a crytocurrency evangelist.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Or "you should put your money in an off planet account" is the QC-verse equivalent of getting trapped in a "conversation" with a crytocurrency evangelist.
    Or most likely, Jeph doesnt actually understand what the benefits of having an out of country financial account would be, and is therefore extrapolating that having one "off planet" is even better.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #532
    Colossus in the Playground

Presumably, off-planet means in orbit, since this world has permanently inhabited space stations. (It's kind of easy to forget how high tech this universe is, sometimes.)
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Presumably, off-planet means in orbit, since this world has permanently inhabited space stations. (It's kind of easy to forget how high tech this universe is, sometimes.)
    Because other than AIs walking around, we rarely see any effects of that tech on the daily lives of the characters or the background art or anything...

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I was always under the impression that Station was THE Station, like the ISS. You don't just have communes of people living in orbit, the station Hannelore's dad is on is the equivalent of SpaceX or one of the other crazy billionaire projects. Hannelore's dad made an unfathomable amount of money off his inventions and used it to build a mad scientist lair in orbit.

25. - Top - End - #535

Griffon

I was always under the impression that Station was THE Station, like the ISS. You don't just have communes of people living in orbit, the station Hannelore's dad is on is the equivalent of SpaceX or one of the other crazy billionaire projects. Hannelore's dad made an unfathomable amount of money off his inventions and used it to build a mad scientist lair in orbit.
    It's honestly still surprising that, despite how little effort Jeph has put into building his world and expanding how things are supposed to work, he still manages to make it smaller with each recent update.

Once, AI were sentient PCs who were smart enough not to mention your browsing history. That was cute and amusing, and as a hook to get people into the comic it was great. Then came the novelty AI companions like Momo who weren't just sentient furniture, but someone people in and of their own.
    Then came Station, an arbitrarily large and powerful AI who put the other characters in awe. THEN Spookybot turned up, deus-ex-machina'd a months long plot with little to no explanation... And now it turns out that in amongst these super-AI, Wells Fargo & Co have a branch in space.

A bank, in space. The most boring, mundane and disappointing form of human bureaucracy, and it's just *there* on par with Station and Yay. Just... what
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

26. - Top - End - #536
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Wait, why is Aurelia lying/hiding her identity as Mommymilkers? Wasnt the joke that she's oblivious to the fetishistic nature of the stream?

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wait, why is Aurelia lying/hiding her identity as Mommymilkers? Wasnt the joke that she's oblivious to the fetishistic nature of the stream?
    For the same reason that Marigold hides her identity presumably. Even if she isnt aware of the fetish aspect, she presumably doesnt want it intruding on her real life, or the lives of her family.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

She can be blind to that but still care about her privacy and security.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Because the author seems to think that major Internet personalities are like superheroes, complete with secret identities, rather than mass-media figures who, in the same vein as film stars, usually operate either under their real names, or with their names at least publicly available, even if they use a catchier screen name.

30. - Top - End - #540

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Because the author seems to think that major Internet personalities are like superheroes, complete with secret identities, rather than mass-media figures who, in the same vein as film stars, usually operate either under their real names, or with their names at least publicly available, even if they use a catchier screen name.
    The only Internet People I can even think of who don't have their names readily available (unless something happened when I wasn't looking) are HowToBasic (just screams at food and throws eggs everywhere), Nomad Colossus (exclusively talks about a single video game), Gamechamp3000 (plays a personality), and DingDongVG (heavily values his privacy, but got doxxed a few years ago by obsessive jags). It's not exactly uncommon, but I'm also not sure if Claire's Mom is deliberately following that particular pattern.