New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    One-off weird customers are a long and storied tradition in this café.
    Not as many lasting comedic potential as Jeremy Gordon Gary tho

edit: I meant Gordon. The Spider Bot.

edit 2: Goddamnit I meant Gary apparently
    Last edited by Cikomyr2; 2021-10-25 at 08:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Me, I'm expecting a 2001 joke any minute.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #783
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Have to admit: The minilith hasn't made cringeworthy Public Service Announcements, hasn't interjected itself into someone else's private conversation, isn't an obnoxious shade of pastel, doesn't have spectacles clipping through it's nose, hasn't assaulted someone as a punchline or used mental illness as throw-away gimmick....

Insofar as new character introductions go, I'm on board. 10/10; all hail, friend minilith.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #784
    Troll in the Playground

They should play music at it.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    If the humming slab doesn't have some method of communicating payment, it isn't a customer. Otherwise one question is, are the prices at CoD all distinct? If so, it make make payment, and expect the corresponding drink. I'm not sure we can answer that with certainty -- they have sold drinks not on the chalkboard menu that we see.
    I might still serve an ominous humming slab even if it didn't pay me, just to get it to go away.

Which would be pretty funny if it was a slightly more forward-thinking mildly-malicious AI than May, one who decided to choose their physical form purely so it could scam innocent businesses and it can actually communicate perfectly well but chooses not to.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I suppose the joke is on us for complaining about the myriad rainbow-colored humanoid robot bodies.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno. I like the minilith. They are a breath of fresh air.

Figuratively speaking at least. I'm not sure they have any functioning lungs.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm a fan of these recent scenes - yoga and particularly Coffee of Doom.

Feels like a partial throwback to the style/settings/characters of earlier QC, and I enjoy(ed) that much more than most of the pastel-android era. A hovering monolith that apparently wants to buy coffee, sans explanation, wouldn't have raised many eyebrows circa. strip 1500 and the comic was better for it.

Semi-realistic interpersonal plots with quirky interruptions out of left field, rather than Big Societal Issue plots conveyed through tortured metaphors about robots. Not that I have an issue with such plots in general, but Jeph's style of writing them doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by FLHerne; 2021-10-27 at 09:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #789

Griffon

As is usually the case with vtubers, I have learned something about them that is a) because of QC and b) mostly against my will. The two robots in Panel 1 of today's comic aren't just random anime-esque AIs, they're cameos. Apparently their names are Kroneii and Mumei, both are VTubers from something called Hololive Productions. It's a Japanese company that manages ~50 vtubers as a sort of Machinima-style collaborative agency (Wow, check out that early-2000's reference!)

I... don't think that Jeph is allowed to do that? I haven't looked into it - I'm deeply, deeply fatigued by this vtuber nonsense - but Reddit has very quickly found Hololive's fan-work policy, which explicitly states that you're not allowed to use their images in for-profit works, or as product of a business (which QC absolutely is, Jeph even made a comic about it). IANAL and all, but it feels like he's skating a very fine line between homage and IP infringement, and if it comes down to it, he won't be the one who gets to decide which it is....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-10-28 at 04:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

"...flower..."? I don't get the tag line on today's comic.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    As is usually the case with vtubers, I have learned something about them that is a) because of QC and b) mostly against my will. The two robots in Panel 1 of today's comic aren't just random anime-esque AIs, they're cameos. Apparently their names are Kroneii and Mumei, both are VTubers from something called Hololive Productions. It's a Japanese company that manages ~50 vtubers as a sort of Machinima-style collaborative agency (Wow, check out that early-2000's reference!)

I... don't think that Jeph is allowed to do that? I haven't looked into it - I'm deeply, deeply fatigued by this vtuber nonsense - but Reddit has very quickly found Hololive's fan-work policy, which explicitly states that you're not allowed to use their images in for-profit works, or as product of a business (which QC absolutely is, Jeph even made a comic about it). IANAL and all, but it feels like he's skating a very fine line between homage and IP infringement, and if it comes down to it, he won't be the one who gets to decide which it is....
    I'm not fussed about a lot of the things people complain about here but "jeph suddenly becomes really into vtubers and suddenly two characters are vtubers and others are the wierdest cameos ever" is intensely irritating to me.

12. - Top - End - #792

I doubt that showing those two vtubers can be a problem. If anything, it looks like a net gain for them: I have now read the names of two people I had never heard of before, and all QC readers have been exposed to their likeness. The very online will talk about it, and I guess it's an important audience for vtubers. (to tell the truth, I wouldn't be too surprised if they had paid for such a spot: it's a select audience of what, hundreds of thousands?)

In general, it's rare to forbid the reproduction of someone's likeness in a comic. The one case I can think of was when an actress didn't wish to be associated with a certain comic because of other contents.

It's a bit more complicated with character designs. Those have actual copyrights associated with them, and, sometimes, they are registered as logos. So a copyright owner could sue anyone who uses his design just do discourage its use, and request monetary compensation. I could see it with a logo (the damage consists in diluting the association of the logo to its owner), but a lot less with something of this sort. It's not a parody, but it still looks like an admirer's innocuous shout-out.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #793

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    "...flower..."? I don't get the tag line on today's comic.
    The name of another vtuber, I believe? Or a catchphrase that one of the two uses? Something like that, I don't care to look it up again. He's evidently spent some time watching them, at least long enough to pick up the in-jokes and memes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I doubt that showing those two vtubers can be a problem. If anything, it looks like a net gain for them: I have now read the names of two people I had never heard of before, and all QC readers have been exposed to their likeness. The very online will talk about it, and I guess it's an important audience for vtubers. (to tell the truth, I wouldn't be too surprised if they had paid for such a spot: it's a select audience of what, hundreds of thousands?)
    Absolutely, I wasn't trying to suggest that Jeph should be DMCA'd and his comic brought down over a cameo, nothing at all like that. It's harmless fanwanking, as far as I know. It's just that webcomics are very different now to what they were in 2005, and big brands are more keen to defend their imagery than ever. Hell, Penny Arcade got slapped with a C&D in *2003* for a comic about a children's toy, that the creators decided to defend, and this was back in the wild west of the internet when Fair Use and all the rest of it was far more open ended and untested. Doing it today feels very risky, and "I'm such a small-time creator that I didn't think you would find out" isn't the defence that it used to be

I could see it with a logo (the damage consists in diluting the association of the logo to its owner), but a lot less with something of this sort.
    Like I said above, Hololive have a publicly available policy about fan-work, and it says that you're not allowed to use their images to make money as a business. It's quite unambiguous, and just a matter of whether or not they decide to do anything about it rather than whether or not they should be in QC at all.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-10-28 at 09:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #794

It's probably worth mentioning that time JJ made international news for similar reasons and a horse: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-horse-website
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #795
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Hell, Penny Arcade got slapped with a C&D in *2003* for a comic about a children's toy, that the creators decided to defend, and this was back in the wild west of the internet when Fair Use and all the rest of it was far more open ended and untested.
    I think there's a pretty big gulf of likelihood-of-legal-action between "Vtubers strolling through background" and "Strawberry Shortcake sadomasochistic pseudo-erotica".

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    I think there's a pretty big gulf of likelihood-of-legal-action between "Vtubers strolling through background" and "Strawberry Shortcake sadomasochistic pseudo-erotica".
    Yeah, this does seem a little closer to borrowing Something Positive characters.

17. - Top - End - #797

"Flower" reminds me of two things: "Rosebud" and "FLOOOOOWERRR!!!"

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Yeah, this does seem a little closer to borrowing Something Positive characters.
    The key difference is the difference between another webcomic and a Japanese entertainment conglomerate. In particular, the baseline for a webcartoonist having their characters show up in someone else's comic is probably 'yay' while Hololive actually has an officially stated 'grrr....' policy. And in this case Jeph compounded the issue by specifically identifying the vtuber characters as opposed to just having two character walk past who just happen to starkly resemble them.

It's worth noting that Japan has a very large marketplace for self-published works using copyrighted characters, such as those appearing in anime, manga, and video games, being sold for profit as doujinshi. Such works are often sexually explicit in nature and given that Hololive's policy makes a lot of sense as a means of protecting its staff. The cameo appearance here is quite tame, but it is the kind of doujinshi-style appearance the policy is likely intended to prohibit.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

19. - Top - End - #799
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really don't think they're gonna notice or care that some rando put their avatars in a webcomic. I assume they have actually-important things to worry about.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Copyright/trademark laws can be very odd, where leaving a breach undefended can sometimes be construed as permitting it. If protecting their IP is sufficiently important to them, which it sounds like it might be, it's not out of the question that they'd have some junior legal intern, or at least some sort of automated script-bot, that trawls for potential violations.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

As a vtuber fan I appreciated this.

This definitely isn't the first time Jeph's featured vtubers as background characters, by the way. He's had gawr gura from hololive in the strip before.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The key difference is the difference between another webcomic and a Japanese entertainment conglomerate. In particular, the baseline for a webcartoonist having their characters show up in someone else's comic is probably 'yay' while Hololive actually has an officially stated 'grrr....' policy.
    A much greater difference is that the strip featuring characters from Somthing Postitive was in response to one of several SP strips referencing QC.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Copyright/trademark laws can be very odd, where leaving a breach undefended can sometimes be construed as permitting it.
    That applies only to trademark, not copyright.

24. - Top - End - #804

Griffon

Marten, you spent 1,000 strips sleeping with Dora, and before that you spent 500 strips wishing you were sleeping with Faye. Also, you kind-of went on a date with Emily, and Hannelore took you on a trip to her space station.

I know that the last 18 months have been busy for you, but that was absolutely a save, my friend.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-11-01 at 08:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't recall the "kind of went on a date with Emily", could you refresh my memory?

Also, I thought there was a comic where Dora expressed a dislike for the title "barista", but I could be wildly mistaken. However, there HAS to be a page where Marten expressed a "favorite" worker there, especially given his intimacy with Dora.

Honestly, the question just seems dumb.

26. - Top - End - #806

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    I don't recall the "kind of went on a date with Emily", could you refresh my memory?
    After Padma left, Sam mentioned how no one would go for a walk in the forest with her any more, so Marten and Emily tagged along. It resulted in Emily getting bitten by a snake, Martin ripping his shirt for an impromptu tourniquet, and then Emily giving him a small kiss and saying that she thought he was very brave after Dora, Cosette and Faye made fun of him.

Very much a "kind of" date in the vaguest sense of the word, but he's never gone for a walk with Hannelore, or ripped his shirt up for Tai, so he must like her even if just as a caretaker

Honestly, the question just seems dumb.
    There has been some suggestion on other forums that it's quite a manipulative question - 'testing' your boyfriend with questions about his ex's, or other girls that he finds attractive. Personally, I don't see that here - Claire has gone out of her way to be fair with Marten and not be 'too clingy' or to pry into his past without permission, and I think it was just tone-deafness on Jeph's behalf.

It's a dumb question. In the best case scenario, Marten lies and tells her that he's not found any of Coffee O Doom's staff to be attractive, when one of his first plots in the comic was him trying to work up the courage to ask Sara out.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-11-01 at 01:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Barbarian in the Playground

There has been some suggestion on other forums that it's quite a manipulative question - 'testing' your boyfriend with questions about his ex's, or other girls that he finds attractive. Personally, I don't see that here - Claire has gone out of her way to be fair with Marten and not be 'too clingy' or to pry into his past without permission, and I think it was just tone-deafness on Jeph's behalf.

It's a dumb question. In the best case scenario, Marten lies and tells her that he's not found any of Coffee O Doom's staff to be attractive, when one of his first plots in the comic was him trying to work up the courage to ask Sara out.
    I'm inclined to disagree about whether or not she's manipulative; at least towards her brother she is. The only example I can think of about prying into Marten's past involved Jeph forgetting details and having to immediately cover up his gaff. As far as interactions with Marten has gone, she doesn't seem to be problematic.

And yeah, dude clearly has a type. Every girl we've seen him on a date with so far has been a coffee shop employee to some degree. Seems almost retconny if accepted as true.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't think it's Jeph being tone-deaf, it's Marten being a putz and Claire lightly ribbing him for it. He's trying to say "how's the new job" in a cutesy way, but he did it in a way that could be interpreted badly. Claire caught the implication and questioned it with a smile on her face. We've seen her use this type of humor before, when she acted shocked that Marten had dated Dora.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe we get to see Marten geek out about music and guitar playing, you know, that thing that used to come up semi-regularly.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Going back to his roots, then?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee