New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1496
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats honestly not a terrible quote. If crime is organized, that means it has rules, and it has a structure to be attacked if certain limits are exceeded. Its an interesting theory on keeping crime under a certain amount of control, trading the moral high ground a bit because a part of that means letting a certain amount of crime go because there is an "agreement" in exchange for ensuring it doesnt get "too bad" From a logical standpoint it makes sense, you were never, EVER going to eliminate all crime in a chaotic setup either, and this way you can establish some ground rules like no crimes of this level or above, and if some rando comes into town making trouble, hand him to us or take care of it yourself, fast. If they dont, again, crime being organized means there is a structure to attack, making them in ways more vulnerable to police action. If the Kingpin is known to run all crime in the city, and some big bad crime happens, the cops know who to go to about it. He doesnt want that sort of attention so he keeps an eye on the city and ensures such behavior is stopped and all incoming criminal types know the rules and the cost of breaking them. Of course thats under ideal terms.
    The problem there is that if you're relying on ideal conditions to make a system work, then why aren't you just making a system with no crime instead of some crime? Or at least a system where criminals are as poorly organized and ineffective as they could feasibly be.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats honestly not a terrible quote. If crime is organized, that means it has rules, and it has a structure to be attacked if certain limits are exceeded. Its an interesting theory on keeping crime under a certain amount of control, trading the moral high ground a bit because a part of that means letting a certain amount of crime go because there is an "agreement" in exchange for ensuring it doesnt get "too bad" From a logical standpoint it makes sense, you were never, EVER going to eliminate all crime in a chaotic setup either, and this way you can establish some ground rules like no crimes of this level or above, and if some rando comes into town making trouble, hand him to us or take care of it yourself, fast. If they dont, again, crime being organized means there is a structure to attack, making them in ways more vulnerable to police action. If the Kingpin is known to run all crime in the city, and some big bad crime happens, the cops know who to go to about it. He doesnt want that sort of attention so he keeps an eye on the city and ensures such behavior is stopped and all incoming criminal types know the rules and the cost of breaking them. Of course thats under ideal terms.
    This is exactly what happens in Discworld. The Patrician ("President") decides that he can't stop crime, so instead he might as well allow Guilds to form that are each responsible for policing their own criminal enterprises - Thieves, Assassins, Beggars, Lawyers, etc - and not only does that cut the crime rate (mostly because most crimes are now 'legal' within very specific methods) but it doesn't cost the city anything since now they don't need as many courts, prosecutors, watchmen, etc.
    Then, just when everyone has gotten comfortable, he points out that he now knows EXACTLY who the Guild Leaders are, what they do, where they live, and where their children go to school.

He calls it the Carrot & Stick approach to law enforcement. Carrot because the heads of the Guilds have made themselves wealthy and within their own domains have executive power to run business as they see fit; Stick because that's what they will have pushed into their assorted orifices if they allow unlicensed/non-Guild crime to happen under their watch.

I can sort of see how a satire of High School could run with that - the Student Council can't stop bullies, so like Nelson from The Simpsons they've worked out an agreement to abide by that let's them be figures of menace within acceptable school-centric hijinks, but prevents them from going too far and seriously damaging someone. I doubt that is what Jeph has intended to create, his plots so far aren't much deeper than "High School bad", but it'd be an interesting concept for another webcomic.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Here, schools are infants (4-7), junior (8-10) (which together make primary?) and secondary (11-16/18), secondary used to be first years to sixth years with an upper sixth, but they've changed it now (twice?, more?) and I didn't keep track.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    This is exactly what happens in Discworld. The Patrician ("President") decides that he can't stop crime, so instead he might as well allow Guilds to form that are each responsible for policing their own criminal enterprises - Thieves, Assassins, Beggars, Lawyers, etc - and not only does that cut the crime rate (mostly because most crimes are now 'legal' within very specific methods) but it doesn't cost the city anything since now they don't need as many courts, prosecutors, watchmen, etc.
    Then, just when everyone has gotten comfortable, he points out that he now knows EXACTLY who the Guild Leaders are, what they do, where they live, and where their children go to school.

He calls it the Carrot & Stick approach to law enforcement. Carrot because the heads of the Guilds have made themselves wealthy and within their own domains have executive power to run business as they see fit; Stick because that's what they will have pushed into their assorted orifices if they allow unlicensed/non-Guild crime to happen under their watch.

I can sort of see how a satire of High School could run with that - the Student Council can't stop bullies, so like Nelson from The Simpsons they've worked out an agreement to abide by that let's them be figures of menace within acceptable school-centric hijinks, but prevents them from going too far and seriously damaging someone. I doubt that is what Jeph has intended to create, his plots so far aren't much deeper than "High School bad", but it'd be an interesting concept for another webcomic.
    Note that this approach only 'works' in Ankh-Morpok, to the extent that it does because of specific local conditions. Namely that Vetinari and the various other significant elements of the city's government (Vimes, Drumknott, both Ridcully's, etc.) are completely and totally incorruptible, which prevents the organized criminal elements from leveraging their way into essentially total control of the state, which is what tends to actually happen in real life.

In high school terms, the equivalent is when students form an official or unofficial gang and the administration refuses to curb gang activities, leading to functionally a shadow administration by the students with which the students must comply in addition to official rules and when those rules inevitably contradict each other, someone gets hurt. This 'SEC' Jeph has postulated is simply a more corporatized and technologically based version of that structure, though it probably also exists entirely in the shadows due to the general inability of school administrations to control what happens on social media.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #1055

So, is this where Faye comes to a belated understanding of her subterranean homosexual feelings as she was 14, and has to decide whether to bring Canadian Girl to self-realization, possibly leading to a lesbian relationship between her and Sam?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    So, is this where Faye comes to a belated understanding of her subterranean homosexual feelings as she was 14, and has to decide whether to bring Canadian Girl to self-realization, possibly leading to a lesbian relationship between her and Sam?
    Worth noting that Emmett has not been referred to with gendered pronouns in the comic yet, so they could be male, female, or non-binary.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

7. - Top - End - #1057

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Worth noting that Emmett has not been referred to with gendered pronouns in the comic yet, so they could be male, female, or non-binary.
    I hadn't noticed the consistent use of "they". Interesting that Faye is the first to use it, in spite of not knowing the kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #1058

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I hadn't noticed the consistent use of "they". Interesting that Faye is the first to use it, in spite of not knowing the kid.
    I think she's mostly just being polite. Emmett is fairly androgynous between that big hoodie and the long hair covering their face, she might just be using 'they' because she can't tell if Emmett is masc or femme and doesn't want to appear rude by assuming. Jeph is usually pretty good at making sure that people state their pronouns when it comes up, and this looks to be a deliberate mystery rather than Psychic Faye.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ettin in the Playground

I think she's mostly just being polite. Emmett is fairly androgynous between that big hoodie and the long hair covering their face, she might just be using 'they' because she can't tell if Emmett is masc or femme and doesn't want to appear rude by assuming. Jeph is usually pretty good at making sure that people state their pronouns when it comes up, and this looks to be a deliberate mystery rather than Psychic Faye.
    I mean, it's been some time since I was 14 and maybe puberty and hormones are to blame, but I would think voice would be a pretty dead giveaway. Obviously, as readers, we aren't privy to that detail, but characters shouldn't have that limitation.

Or is it really that hard to tell prepubescent girls from boys based on their voices?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Or is it really that hard to tell prepubescent girls from boys based on their voices?
    In these modern days, it isn't wise to assume gender identity matches perceived sex.

11. - Top - End - #1061

I mean honestly, if it weren't for gendered clothing, hygiene expectations and hairstyles, there really wouldn't be much to tell the two apart. Kids are pretty androgynous, for the most part. There are exceptions, of course, but it's something alive noticed. Some long-haired kid mostly obscured by a dark hoodie really doesn't give much ammo for assumptions, and even for voices some people just don't sound how you'd expect.

12. - Top - End - #1062

Griffon

I mean, it's been some time since I was 14 and maybe puberty and hormones are to blame, but I would think voice would be a pretty dead giveaway. Obviously, as readers, we aren't privy to that detail, but characters shouldn't have that limitation.
    You're probably right most of the time. Still, there's a variety of reasons that might account for it - whether they are non-binary by preference, androgynous by genetics, or just a 'late bloomer' for whom they haven't yet matured one way or the other, teenagers are an eclectic bunch even before hiding themselves under baggy clothing and having a tiny, shy little voice. I worked for a few years as a 'phone operator in a High School, it's not just the kids who you

If I had to guess.... Maybe Jeph just hasn't thought of that. Or, to be more charitable, he may well be deliberately avoiding it in order to prologue the mystery - maybe he likes to keep his audience guessing just for the fun of it. It's a very small and trivial mystery, but he's repeatedly threatened to introduce a new LGBT+ character every time someone is bigoted on Twitter so small petty joys are entirely reasonable and in-character for him
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-01-09 at 03:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In 4693 Sam says "Emmett scored low 'cause they're shy" ... so I don't know why you make this all to be a big mystery or something. It's very clearly the pronoun Emmett wants to be called by.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    In 4693 Sam says "Emmett scored low 'cause they're shy" ... so I don't know why you make this all to be a big mystery or something. It's very clearly the pronoun Emmett wants to be called by.
    "Very clearly" would be Emmett announcing their desire to use that pronoun. But "they" is often treated as interchangeable with the "correct" gendered pronoun in casual conversation, for various reasons. Its certainly a point of evidence, but if Sam later comes out and calls Emmett "she" or something else, its not a contradiction either.

Besides, wild unfounded speculation is fun.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2022-01-09 at 07:42 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    "Very clearly" would be Emmett announcing their desire to use that pronoun. But "they" is often treated as interchangeable with the "correct" gendered pronoun in casual conversation, for various reasons. Its certainly a point of evidence, but if Sam later comes out and calls Emmett "she" or something else, its not a contradiction either.

Besides, wild unfounded speculation is fun.
    Maybe its not as solid steel as emmet going, "Hey, refer to me with "they" pronouns" but its enough of a hint for anyone paying attention to follow suit on in the conversation.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

Use of "they" as a default could also be Sam's peculiar school's influence.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2022-01-09 at 08:07 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Use of "they" as a default could also be Sam's peculiar school's influence.
    Or even just Sam's personal default, for that matter. "They" is a versatile pronoun.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I think its more that it gets remorselessly kludged into place wherever something better isn't available. Its not a good option, just the least bad available.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    In these modern days, it isn't wise to assume gender identity matches perceived sex.
    That is a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    I mean honestly, if it weren't for gendered clothing, hygiene expectations and hairstyles, there really wouldn't be much to tell the two apart. Kids are pretty androgynous, for the most part. There are exceptions, of course, but it's something alive noticed. Some long-haired kid mostly obscured by a dark hoodie really doesn't give much ammo for assumptions, and even for voices some people just don't sound how you'd expect.
    As is that.

You're probably right most of the time. Still, there's a variety of reasons that might account for it - whether they are non-binary by preference, androgynous by genetics, or just a 'late bloomer' for whom they haven't yet matured one way or the other, teenagers are an eclectic bunch even before hiding themselves under baggy clothing and having a tiny, shy little voice. I worked for a few years as a 'phone operator in a High School, it's not just the kids who you

If I had to guess.... Maybe Jeph just hasn't thought of that. Or, to be more charitable, he may well be deliberately avoiding it in order to prologue the mystery - maybe he likes to keep his audience guessing just for the fun of it. It's a very small and trivial mystery, but he's repeatedly threatened to introduce a new LGBT+ character every time someone is bigoted on Twitter so small petty joys are entirely reasonable and in-character for him
    Yeah, I guess it fits with Jeph's character.

Very well, let us carry on.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

This is a good conversation, this is the kind of conversation my friends and I sometimes have.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Now, the really important question. Does Emmett have a ponytail, or is that some kind of bun or something? Or just an oddly drawn lock of hair?

22. - Top - End - #1072

Griffon

It's been pointed out to me that Emmett has the same unusually shaped (compared to the rest of the cast) nose and hair colour as Willow.

I find myself hoping that's just coincidence and there's not yet another convenient familial link, just because. But then, growing up while having ever mundane detail of your own life explained to you in excruciating detail whether you wanted it or not? I can see that being a good reason to hide inside a hoodie and avoid human contact.

23. - Top - End - #1073

For anyone who doesn't get it (probably nobody but still), the alt-text/commentary is referring to a character called Raiden from the Metal Gear series of video games. Raiden (pronounced like "ridin'") has a cool sword that vibrates super-duper fast and gets real hot, and he uses it to chop up robots and cyborgs in ways that explicitly defy physics, so the bisected robot body being clean-cut is a routine occurrence for him. Now that the joke has been explained, we can all give the proper amount of chortling for it.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Titan in the Playground

Zamboni and Snowplow...

25. - Top - End - #1075

MindFlayer

Zamboni and Snowplow...
    Together, they fight crime.

(I think that's how that meme runs.)

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Troll in the Playground

Zamboni and Snowplow...
    Have you heard of the Doncaster contest for gritter names? I wish things like that happened more often.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Have you heard of the Doncaster contest for gritter names? I wish things like that happened more often.

Michigan named all the snowplows in the MDOT fleet.

https://www.michigan.gov/som/0,4669,...9772--,00.html
    https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616...5096--,00.html

The fleet now includes a plow named Betty Whiteout.

28. - Top - End - #1078

Griffon

Zamboni and Snowplow...
    How else would you know they were Canadian?

Michigan named all the snowplows in the MDOT fleet.
    This seems to be a universal approach to snow ploughs; In Scotland they have similar names for their fleet.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

The nonsense talk in todays comic immediately reminded me of this.

And yes, everyone needs a friend or 2 (at least) that they can have nonsense conversations with. Always refreshing

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely how some of the conversations my spouse and I have sound.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.