New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Pintsize kind of has a point. Claire is not being cool by trying to snipe a job out from under him, just because she feels like she deserves it more. Especially since she's now qualified as a librarian and has had all of 2 rejections for those posts in the last week (iirc); she's still got lots more to explore and apply for before she decides to give up on the industry and take whatever factory job she can find, let alone in such a way that it actively inconveniences someone she knows.

Pintsize wants to work at the dildo factory because he thinks it would be funny. God forbid that SOMEONE in the QC cast get a job doing something that they actively enjoy, better rain on that parade as fast as possible, Claire!

She's scolding Pintsize for applying for the job only for a joke, when she is applying for the job only to spite Pintsize. That isn't cool.
    And it's spiting the dildo company, too - I don't see how going to the interview and admitting "yeah, I don't care about this job, I just want to rub my boyfriend's friend's face in it and then leave at the earliest opportunity to do something I'm more interested in when it comes along" will be seen very favourably.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

I think I've worked out what bothers me so much about Pintsize getting a body. When I look at Momo and Winslow, I don't see AnthroPCs. They're new characters that share some of the traits of the old ones. Both Momo and Winslow act differently after they get their bodies, and the AnthroPC version of them effectively ceased to exist. It worked well for Momo and significantly less well for Winslow.

And that's where I really struggle witth Pintsize. It's easy to picture how Pintsize with a human body will exist, because we already have Pintsize with a human body in the form of May. Giving Pintsize a human body removes his uniqueness and limits what can be done with him as a character.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Pintsize kind of has a point. Claire is not being cool by trying to snipe a job out from under him, just because she feels like she deserves it more. Especially since she's now qualified as a librarian and has had all of 2 rejections for those posts in the last week (iirc); she's still got lots more to explore and apply for before she decides to give up on the industry and take whatever factory job she can find, let alone in such a way that it actively inconveniences someone she knows.

Pintsize wants to work at the dildo factory because he thinks it would be funny. God forbid that SOMEONE in the QC cast get a job doing something that they actively enjoy, better rain on that parade as fast as possible, Claire!

She's scolding Pintsize for applying for the job only for a joke, when she is applying for the job only to spite Pintsize. That isn't cool.
    And it's spiting the dildo company, too - I don't see how going to the interview and admitting "yeah, I don't care about this job, I just want to rub my boyfriend's friend's face in it and then leave at the earliest opportunity to do something I'm more interested in when it comes along" will be seen very favourably.
    She's not really scolding him, she didn't ask him to not apply. She did point out that he literally will not get what he was hoping for, which is probably nicer than not mentioning it at all.

Claire has no idea when or if she'll be able to get a job in her preferred field, and for the moment, she needs work. Expecting her to be deeply passionate about it or enjoy it in order to "deserve" it is unrealistic, and short term stepping stone jobs are just a fact of life these days. Nobody says "I'm still looking for better opportunities and will take one if I find it" in a job interview, obviously, but it's not an uncommon or unreasonable stance.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I think I've worked out what bothers me so much about Pintsize getting a body. When I look at Momo and Winslow, I don't see AnthroPCs. They're new characters that share some of the traits of the old ones. Both Momo and Winslow act differently after they get their bodies, and the AnthroPC version of them effectively ceased to exist. It worked well for Momo and significantly less well for Winslow.

And that's where I really struggle witth Pintsize. It's easy to picture how Pintsize with a human body will exist, because we already have Pintsize with a human body in the form of May. Giving Pintsize a human body removes his uniqueness and limits what can be done with him as a character.
    I think the concept of AnthroPCs really stopped working as soon as Jeph decided he was going to go with "these sapient AIs have rights" rather than the early-comic "yes, they're sapient, but they're still just computers, which all the humans unhesitatingly treat as property, don't think about it too much."
    Last edited by Kish; 2021-05-30 at 09:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think the concept of AnthroPCs really stopped working as soon as Jeph decided he was going to go with "these sapient AIs have rights" rather than the early-comic "yes, they're sapient, but they're still just computers, which all the humans unhesitatingly treat as property, don't think about it too much."
    Martin always treated Pintsize like his room mate who owns the laptop, and not just a computer. Its just that Pintsize has a specific niche as a character that doesnt cooperate well with, you know, anybody else except as one off gags.

Now, Winslowe got treated like a pet rather than a room mate, but he also seems to have been written out of the story entirely now that he needs to have an actual character to justify inclusion rather than just as Pintsize's wacky Apple brand friend.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #96

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    She's not really scolding him, she didn't ask him to not apply. She did point out that he literally will not get what he was hoping for, which is probably nicer than not mentioning it at all.
    I half agree, I suppose. Pintsize knew that May needed a job and similarly shares his rude sense of humour, so he asked her if she would be interested into trying out for the dildo factory before he did. He's only applying because he knows that May has another gig, so he's not taking work away from someone who really needs it.

Claire, on the other hand, is coming across to me as somewhat entitled. She needs a new job and is prepared to step over Pintsize to get it because... Well, because she's not as nice a person as Pintsize? She's shown no interest in working in the dildo factory before now and her sense of humour is very different to Pintsize's so she certainly won't get as much amusement or satisfaction out of it like he would - it just looks like the stupid robot person should get out of the way and let her get *any* job before he does. Even though he's had a body for all of a few minutes and is already trying to pull his weight and earn a wage.

It's not like Claire even actively dislikes Pintsize - although he's crude, Marten has made it absolutely clear that he won't tolerate anything degrading or bigoted and Pintsize has stuck with that so he's probably on nicer terms with her than anyone else in the apartment. It just seems weird that she's being so cold and making his life difficult just because he's got a body now. "You have thumbs now? Here's a taste of just how ****** life has been to me, because you deserve to struggle like I have" kind of thing.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-05-30 at 11:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It just seems weird that she's being so cold and making his life difficult just because he's got a body now. "You have thumbs now? Here's a taste of just how ****** life has been to me, because you deserve to struggle like I have" kind of thing.
    I dont get this impression at all. She genuinely needs a job, any job, and Pintsize isnt actually interested in the job for anything except being able to say he has a funny job. As she says, if she misjudged Pintsize and he genuinely also wants the job for the sake of having a job (as opposed to for the sake of a joke), she'll turn around.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Martin always treated Pintsize like his room mate who owns the laptop, and not just a computer.
    Right, like when he quipped that Pintsize is like his teenage son except that he can grab him by the head and turn him off without going to prison, and the time he told Pintsize, "It's the rule of thumb: he who has the thumbs makes the rules".

What you said would be accurate if you had "never" instead of "always." (Until the comic shift, and the retcon of Pintsize from property into a companion with it, of course, as I said.)
    I dont get this impression at all. She genuinely needs a job, any job, and Pintsize isnt actually interested in the job for anything except being able to say he has a funny job. As she says, if she misjudged Pintsize and he genuinely also wants the job for the sake of having a job (as opposed to for the sake of a joke), she'll turn around.
    There, though, yes. I'm not getting the criticism of Claire here. It's straightforward: there's a job she wants, that Pintsize is only joking about wanting, even though he might carry the joke through to actually applying for it. He's said exactly nothing about pulling his weight or earning a wage; he's just chortling at the whole idea of working around dildos (which makes him vastly less qualified for an actual job involving sex toys).

9. - Top - End - #99

Griffon

I think that the point I poorly tried to make is, why does Claire get to decide that her need is greater than Pintsize's? She thinks that Pintsize isn't serious about getting a job, so why does she get to gatekeep and steal it from him, if he's prepared to take the time to apply and go to the interview, which she wasn't until about 30 seconds ago?

Momo got a new body, and she immediately went looking for work to pay back Marigold. Winslow got a new body, and he immediately went looking for a way to make himself useful to 'earn' his good fortune, so to speak. May needed a new body, and because she worked a crappy job and was really trying to pull herself together, everyone chipped in with donations. AI bodies cost a not insignificant amount of money, enough that no one so far has gone without feeling the obligation to pay for it or otherwise earn it.

And now Pintsize has a new body too - what makes Claire think he didn't also need to take out a loan to pay for it? As has been mentioned, he seems to have some money to hand but no one knows where it comes from or how much he's got. She hasn't asked him about his body, how he paid for it, or if he still owes for it - she has just decided that he has applied for a job, and she needs a job, so she should get it first....

....Based on her presumption that he has no commitments, despite not having asked him about them. Pintsize said he wanted the job because he thought it would be funny, but in the past he has consistently used humour or his facade of flippancy to deflect people from asking about his real feelings - something that she knows, after her heart-to-heart discussion with him a while ago when they cleared the air after their discussion about body modification. Seems mean of her to disregard that possibility just because it benefits her not to think about it.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think that the point I poorly tried to make is, why does Claire get to decide that her need is greater than Pintsize's? She thinks that Pintsize isn't serious about getting a job, so why does she get to gatekeep and steal it from him, if he's prepared to take the time to apply and go to the interview, which she wasn't until about 30 seconds ago?

Momo got a new body, and she immediately went looking for work to pay back Marigold. Winslow got a new body, and he immediately went looking for a way to make himself useful to 'earn' his good fortune, so to speak. May needed a new body, and because she worked a crappy job and was really trying to pull herself together, everyone chipped in with donations. AI bodies cost a not insignificant amount of money, enough that no one so far has gone without feeling the obligation to pay for it or otherwise earn it.

And now Pintsize has a new body too - what makes Claire think he didn't also need to take out a loan to pay for it? As has been mentioned, he seems to have some money to hand but no one knows where it comes from or how much he's got. She hasn't asked him about his body, how he paid for it, or if he still owes for it - she has just decided that he has applied for a job, and she needs a job, so she should get it first....

....Based on her presumption that he has no commitments, despite not having asked him about them. Pintsize said he wanted the job because he thought it would be funny, but in the past he has consistently used humour or his facade of flippancy to deflect people from asking about his real feelings - something that she knows, after her heart-to-heart discussion with him a while ago when they cleared the air after their discussion about body modification. Seems mean of her to disregard that possibility just because it benefits her not to think about it.
    Well, she gave him the opportunity to say he actually does want the job because its a job, and not for the joke, and he declined to do so. So yeah, i'd say her assessment was completely correct.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

You are comparing Momo, Winslow and May on equal terms with Pintsize?

Both Momo and Winslow are very moral characters. Momo in particular recognises that to Marigold the cost of her upgrade is a significant one. Even May, not the most moral of the three, recognises the cost of her new body to her friends.

And Pintsize literally treats his as a joke. This has already been heavily implied.

Nope. She needs the job, and is applying for for it. Her challenge to Pintsize is that he is treating it as a joke (remember - Pintsize does not need a job). In the second frame she says "I'm 99% sure you are doing it because you think it would be funny. Tell me otherwise and I'll turn right round." and in the third frame Pintsize admits that he is doing it because he thought it would be funny.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-05-30 at 02:17 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, she gave him the opportunity to say he actually does want the job because its a job, and not for the joke, and he declined to do so. So yeah, i'd say her assessment was completely correct.
    Right? Yeah, she came across as aggressive in her assumption that Pintsize was doing it as a joke, but... I mean, it's Pintsize, most things he does are because he thinks it would be funny. And I see no reason to assume she wasn't being genuine in her offer to turn around if the job actually meant something to him, even though she (correctly) thought it didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Nope. She needs the job, and is applying for for it. Her challenge to Pintsize is that he is treating it as a joke (remember - Pintsize does not need a job). In the second frame she says "I'm 99% sure you are doing it because you think it would be funny. Tell me otherwise and I'll turn right round." and in the third frame Pintsize admits that he is doing it because he thought it would be funny.
    Yes, this.

As far as I can tell, Wraith, what you're saying is: Well what if she had been wrong? But she's not wrong. She's allowed to have the most basic of pattern recognition and character observation skills.

14. - Top - End - #104

I half agree, I suppose. Pintsize knew that May needed a job and similarly shares his rude sense of humour, so he asked her if she would be interested into trying out for the dildo factory before he did. He's only applying because he knows that May has another gig, so he's not taking work away from someone who really needs it.

Claire, on the other hand, is coming across to me as somewhat entitled. She needs a new job and is prepared to step over Pintsize to get it because... Well, because she's not as nice a person as Pintsize? She's shown no interest in working in the dildo factory before now and her sense of humour is very different to Pintsize's so she certainly won't get as much amusement or satisfaction out of it like he would - it just looks like the stupid robot person should get out of the way and let her get *any* job before he does. Even though he's had a body for all of a few minutes and is already trying to pull his weight and earn a wage.

It's not like Claire even actively dislikes Pintsize - although he's crude, Marten has made it absolutely clear that he won't tolerate anything degrading or bigoted and Pintsize has stuck with that so he's probably on nicer terms with her than anyone else in the apartment. It just seems weird that she's being so cold and making his life difficult just because he's got a body now. "You have thumbs now? Here's a taste of just how ****** life has been to me, because you deserve to struggle like I have" kind of thing.
    There is no stepping over him, at all. At most she is applying for the job too. She isnt even remotely proclaiming she is entitled to it, she pointed out, entirely accurately, the only reason he is even applying is because it would be funny. (After all, he doesnt get free sex toys) She isnt trying to take a dream away from him, she is honestly applying for a job when she truly needs one, and pintsize is applying because haha sex toy fart noise giggle. She isnt telling him not to apply, or to throw an interview for her sake (as if they are the only two in town even trying to get hired) You just seem to be jumping to so many conclusions im fairly sure your body parts have turned into a red cloud to land on them all at once.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

This isn't how I saw this going, although, in hindsight, I should have.

Jeph quite likes the "robots as an allegory for trans issues" thing.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground

Most of the time it doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother some others but this seems really awkwardly done. I think you could make an interesting storyline out of Pintsize growing frustrated by the limitations of his old form or one of doing this for a joke and then realizing how confining it is to be a tiny being without proper hands. But the way he just goes into it and has strong emotions about it already, yeah seems Jeph is awkwardly trying to map real world issues on his robots again and not really taking care in the conversion to make it good.

17. - Top - End - #107

Griffon

Oh look, Pintsize has deep-seated feelings of which other people weren't aware, and hadn't taken into account, which explains his behaviour if only they had bothered to ask about it. If only someone had thought of that a couple of days ago.

18. - Top - End - #108

Oh look they are feelings unconnected to what you were on about. :P

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ugh, looks like this is going to be permanent. Because of course it is.

I already can't see the original Pintsize in the person who's talking to Claire in this latest strip.

Goodbye, Pintsize. It was a good run.

20. - Top - End - #110

Random side note, I just found the two qc reddit subs. For those that didn't know them either it seems to be split based on whether you are a fan and still really like it or whether you want to complain about every strip. The nice thing about threads in larger unconnected forums is that that level of polarization isn't as likely.^^

21. - Top - End - #111

It's nice that the two fanbases can each have their own place. I think of the EGS forums years ago, when there had been a major shift in the comic which had split the audience. It wasn't nice. It ended up with one side deciding to leave the forum to open one for the like-minded, while the author ceased to frequent the original* forum and actually even stopped considering it official and removed the link from his website. Now he's using reddit.

*it was actually the second, I believe, from migrating from Keenspot to GMX.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

She's scolding Pintsize for applying for the job only for a joke, when she is applying for the job only to spite Pintsize.
    No, she's applying for the job because she's desperate to have a job that'll provide her an income. She may have her master's in library science now, but it turns out (read: it's true in the real world as with other academic jobs, and can speak from experience/colleagues' experiences) that it's incredibly difficult to land a librarian job even with that qualification, especially if you're trying to stay local and not move across the country. That does seem more pressing than "Man, wouldn't it be funny if I did this?"

Anyway, we'll see where this all goes, I guess.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2021-06-01 at 12:51 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

23. - Top - End - #113

Yeah, I know several people who finished their master's degree in various biological subdisciplines, couldn't get an industry position or a PhD and then spent a few years as supermarket cashiers.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yeah, I know several people who finished their master's degree in various biological subdisciplines, couldn't get an industry position or a PhD and then spent a few years as supermarket cashiers.
    There is an old joke along those lines:
    What does an employed graduate say to an unemployed one?
    - Do you want fries with that?

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Meanwhile in Something Positive land we have the adopted daughter of two of the main characters having her first period. They got together years after the strip started and adopted said daughter as a baby. We've seen her grow older in roughly real time. It really puts into perspective how weird comic book time makes things.
    Something Positive is quite unique in that regard as the in-comics time flows at pretty much the same pace as the real time and all the characters grow older (and even grow up!). To be honest, in a typical slice-of-life story it should be fairly easy to handle as those are built from small largely disconnected episodes that can indeed be set days or weeks apart. We only ever get a glimpse at some chosen important moments of character's lives and often switch focus between different people. It mostly requires the will to synchronize time between the comics and the real world.
    Last edited by Radar; 2021-06-01 at 07:07 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

If they're lucky. If they're unlucky, they don't get entry jobs because they're overqualified, and then they can't get a job they're qualified for because they lack job experience.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    If they're lucky. If they're unlucky, they don't get entry jobs because they're overqualified, and then they can't get a job they're qualified for because they lack job experience.
    Biological sciences are an especially tricky situation, as in a lot of the specialties there are a lot of associates degree or low-level bachelor's degree-type benchwork jobs, medical diagnostic work, field work for subfields like forestry, and similar stuff, and then professorships or high-level research, but not a lot in the middle (and a lot in the middle is in healthcare fields, for which biology degrees may or may not be useful for getting them). It also (and here library sciences is similar) has a problem in that there is a glut of the degree. For biology, because a huge chunk of aspiring doctors go for it. Given that not everyone makes it to med school, that means there is a bevy of people who are still likely highly motivated go-getters now trying to figure out their future and competing for the same jobs that someone who started out wanting to be a biologist from the get-go.

27. - Top - End - #117

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    No, she's applying for the job because she's desperate to have a job that'll provide her an income. She may have her master's in library science now, but it turns out (read: it's true in the real world as with other academic jobs, and can speak from experience/colleagues' experiences) that it's incredibly difficult to land a librarian job even with that qualification, especially if you're trying to stay local and not move across the country. That does seem more pressing than "Man, wouldn't it be funny if I did this?"
    Evidently I have read too deeply into a non-issue. The consensus seems to be that no one else felt the same as I; fair enough. I can admit that I was looking with a snarker's eye and ended up trying to make a bit out of it.

As a genuine question though, I have seen the phrase 'desperate for a job' used a couple of times so far; how desperate is Claire, really? As far as I recall, she only got her results back about about a week ago and we've seen her have something like 2 rejection letters? Is that the same thing as being at the point where she's prepared to give up on her lifelong career goals and work in the dildo factory at short notice? Despite the above, I still feel like Claire has other options available before that.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Is that the same thing as being at the point where she's prepared to give up on her lifelong career goals and work in the dildo factory at short notice?
    Who said anything about giving up on her career goals? One can work at the dildo factory while they seek employment as a librarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    One can work at the dildo factory while they seek employment as a librarian.
    Which philosopher said that? I can't recall.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Which philosopher said that? I can't recall.
    Probably Diogenes?