New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    First, a lot of the stuff that's bugging people is in Jeph's comments above and below the strips. It's one thing for Pintsize to say it, it's another thing for Jeph to add the comment that Pintsize is right.

Second, this isn't isolated, Jeph keeps pulling this stunt. See, the raisins.
    Indeed. When I see a recurring pattern of him earnestly attacking a group, especially a group I have family in, I'm going to speak up.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Honestly, thats the best way to write any character, where there is far more to them than a single trait/condition/stance that is all that defines them. Brun is autistic and thats all there really is to her. Everything she does, and everything that happens to and around her is tied into her autism. Claire is a trans bookworm librarian with a twin brother who is overprotective of her and she meddles in his affairs too much and holy crow does she look like her mom. Oh, she also has a love of terrible terrible puns and its awesome. One is a real character, the other is a soapbox.
    That speaks to the change in how he introduces new characters and issues. We find out that Faye has alcohol and depression related issues a long time after her character was introduced. Claire only came out as trans after she had been around for hundreds of strips. It took a prybar to get Bubbles to talk about her issues. Angus was a joke character for a long time before he graduated to the main cast, and then dated Faye for a long time before the long distance relationship thing came up.

Brun was introduced and then her autism became her primary trait within a week. Roko was a tertiary character until the cops are bad storyline, and she was immediately hit with the body dysphoria problem. Renee and whats-his-name (sorry, I care so little that I've forgotten his name already) went straight from hello to "serious long distance conversation" within the space of a week or two.

All of the storylines are super compressed from how they used to be. That bothers me more than Jeph's political soapboxing. In truth, Jeph has nothing on some other authors I enjoy (looking at you, John Ringo) when they go on political rants in the middle of an otherwise enjoyable story. The problem with QC is that the enjoyable story is becoming less and less. Which is why I wind up ranting about it at 1 in the morning.

Because I'm like Max_Killjoy. I tend not to post when I'm enjoying something unless someone attacks it, and then I'll defend it. And I tend not to post when I simply dislike something from the word go. You won't find many posts of mine about The Mandalorian, because I simply haven't watched much of it. For QC though, I've been reading the comic faihfully for a good 15 years at this point. It means I have a lot to say when the comic starts to decline.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Yes, Jeph has increasingly displayed a real problem distinguishing between character voice and author voice.

It's perfectly in character for Pintsize to say 'all cops are bastards.' After all, Pintsize is a pretty criminal whose only reason for not having a rap sheet longer than he was (until very recently) tall was that his very size limited his mayhem to the 'not worth the effort' level. It's perfectly logical for someone who's lived their life in direct opposition to the existing social order to have such a viewpoint. Extremists have extreme views, no surprise there.

Jeph's end comment at the end of the comic though speaks not in the voice of a fictional character, but his own voice. That's a remark from a real person with a public platform that is both ignorant, insensitive, and insulting to over 700,000 people in the US (that's roughly the number of full time law enforcement personnel in the nation, not counting non-sworn support staff) and tens of millions of people worldwide.
    It might be a joke?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It might be a joke?
    Considering Jeph's obvious political leanings, probably not. Also, considering the comic has been devoid of jokes for what feels like months, still probably not. At least, I think they're gone. All I've noticed are the obligatory fourth-panel snarks that break the flow of the current conversation and don't really land.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

I think there is exactly 0% chance that Jeph seriously believes that 1) anyone who expresses the opinion "you should possess some articles of clothing which are not designed to shock and annoy other people" in the general, or 2) Claire in the last strip in the specific, is demonstrating moral turpitude.

6. - Top - End - #156

I took the whole thing more as a jab at fashion police than anything else ...

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

7. - Top - End - #157

Nah, it's definitely the author assigning evil to anyone who comments on clothing in any way. That makes way more sense than whatever you folks are talking about. Jeph Jacques is very vocal about his disgust of openly acknowledging others' attire.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Nah, it's definitely the author assigning evil to anyone who comments on clothing in any way. That makes way more sense than whatever you folks are talking about. Jeph Jacques is very vocal about his disgust of openly acknowledging others' attire.
    I can't tell if this is sarcasm, or you've read something I haven't that makes this a clear thing.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

You say that, but there was that one time that Raven commented on Faye's ratty old shoes ("I think THAT one might actually be a hollowed out rat's carcass!") and she has since been sent to the B-List Character Gulag along with Steve, Penny and Emily.

Coincidence!? I think NOT!

Also: Pintsize bland, Claire preachy, Jeph unsubtle, Beepatrice incompetent, ya-da ya-da... However you feel about QC's politics, this hasn't been a great week in it's proud history of slow-boiling plots and snarky millennial humour.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Leave it to R. K. Millholland to take time out of his own webcomic to devise a fitting send-off for Pintsize's old body (with Jeph's permission, it seems!).

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    Leave it to R. K. Millholland to take time out of his own webcomic to devise a fitting send-off for Pintsize's old body (with Jeph's permission, it seems!).
    Honestly, I'm surprised Pintsize didn't do this himself. Turning his old body into a sex toy and selling it for cash is exactly the sort of thing he'd do. Heck, it's why they burned Momo's old body!

Also, why is Beepatrice working the front desk at the dildo factory? Isn't she a tester?

We also don't seem to have a comic for today, which is pretty darn unusual. Unless I'm missing something and the comic labeled June 3rd is actually today's...

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I took the whole thing more as a jab at fashion police than anything else ...
    I wanted to believe that, trust me. When I first saw Pintsize's comment, I was like, yeah, sure... that's pretty much in character for him. I'm down with that.

And then I saw Jeph's comment under the comic and I was, oh no, you didn't...

But I guess he did.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

13. - Top - End - #163

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    We also don't seem to have a comic for today, which is pretty darn unusual. Unless I'm missing something and the comic labeled June 3rd is actually today's...
    The June 3rd comic is also labeled "9:10pm", so today's might also be late. Or just plain dropped.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

The name of the company...
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    Pintsize would be proud

16. - Top - End - #166

This is a genuine question (and I'm prefacing with this because I don't want it to come across as an attempt as a gotcha), but isn't taking a stance on the content of Jeph's statements inherently taking a position on a political issue, and therefore out of bounds?

It seems that the discussion of whether he's handling stating his opinions with any sort of finesse is perfectly legitimate, but this sub-argument wherein his writing is called libellous, and the message 'must be spoken out against'—as opposed to his clumsiness of discourse—should be dropped.

(Naturally, the same goes for any post explicitly agreeing with the contents of Jeph's statement, but I don't see examples of such.)
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2021-06-04 at 10:53 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Probably best to just move past it and drop the issue. We've switched to Beapatrice shenanigans now anyways.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh, wow, right. That is Beeps. I forgot she worked there.

... Isnt she one of the testers? What is she doing manning the front desk?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Oh, wow, right. That is Beeps. I forgot she worked there.

... Isnt she one of the testers? What is she doing manning the front desk?
    Desperately trying to avoid the pile of paperwork on her desk.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    Fair enough.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    In fairness to Beeps, it may be that the company expects a degree of flexibility from workers for cover purposes. Back in the day when I had a holiday job in a hospital as a Clerical Assistant (very long story) I was also expected to be able to use the switchboard, so there was cover for the actual switchboard operators if they needed to go on a break. We also had a couple of people who could handle Reception for the same reasons.

(The switchboard had an interesting quirk in that if you pressed the 9 button, any other number pressed within the next second would also be treated as a 9, so you had to wait for a second before pressing any other number. Quite literally, since 99 was the "cardiac arrest" code...)
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-06-05 at 08:03 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

22. - Top - End - #172

Hell, even the GITP site is trying to run JS from a site called "skimresources", which is on a couple of blacklists.
    I once asked about it and the staff said a few words about it. https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...2#post24680262

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, or you've read something I haven't that makes this a clear thing.
    Oh, you have no idea! Jeph Jacques spends years working on a single rant about the clothing police, and refines it up to a million times to produce the finest rant known to mankind.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #173
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I once asked about it and the staff said a few words about it. https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...2#post24680262

Oh, you have no idea! Jeph Jacques spends years working on a single rant about the clothing police, and refines it up to a million times to produce the finest rant known to mankind.
    I myself commissioned a genuine Jeph Jacques rant in Nova Scotia for 2,000,000 indie music albums (that's about $2.00) and have been practicing with it for 2 years. I can reduce a hardened hipster to tears in one line with my Jeph Jacques rant.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

"S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but the anomolies are just porn".

Ah, memories - I loved that game, much to my surprise.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hmm, after taking in the last few pages of Pintsize's body swap, I'm still not really on board. I figured it would grow on me but he still just looks like a generic AI, like Winslow but wearing pink underwear. I really wish he'd kept the googly eyes permanently. It would feel more "Pintsize" that way.

Not to say that he should never change while all the other AIs in the comic evolve, but it doesn't really feel like there was a good reason to do so (yet), and it doesn't really feel like it improves his character.

The last few months have been pretty ho-hum for me, and even that's after getting back into it from a long stretch away (I lost interest in the Brun/Mille-Fuille hangout/date/whatever when I thought "wait, do I have any compelling reason to care about either of these characters?"

The most compelling arc recently that I've actually cared about is May getting her new body. I felt genuine emotions for her, especially in the internalized "why is everyone being so nice to me, I can't possibly deserve this" moments. I thought that section was handled beautifully, and worked well with what had been established with her character.

And then other (read: most) times nowadays, it's like the story just wants to grab two characters and stick them together in a situation, regardless of whether their personal arcs & character development fit that storyline or theme.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2021-06-09 at 11:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Who's this Iris or this Yemisi? Have we met them before?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Remember when Clinton just randomly started talking about his relationship issues with a complete stranger, again? This is that complete stranger's friend.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #178

Griffon

Technically because the question was posed as "or" rather than "and", the answer ought to be "no". Little lexicographical tip for you, there.

Yemisi is the personal shopper who helped Yay Newfriend buy her clothing, and then insulted Roko for wearing casual clothing in her own home, on her day off. She's nominally the sensible one out of her, Willow Dragonfang and the Sarcastic Grey Robot, with whom she apparently is a couple? That might be an assumption, but it seems implied.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

29. - Top - End - #179

They showed up some time ago as customers in ... the bakery, I think? Friends of Willow who hung out with Clinton. No idea why Pintsize is here.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Technically because the question was posed as "or" rather than "and", the answer ought to be "no". Little lexicographical tip for you, there.
    Is or always exclusive? I am far more familiar with the specific logical distinction between OR and XOR to be particularly sure about the regular language, but I would guess, that or does allow for both inclusive and exclusive options depending on the context or intonation, or some other nuances.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.