New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Turn Undead: How far does it reach?

Hey there! I have a group that still plays 2e, and in it we have a Cleric.

Recently we entered a graveyard, and of course were surrounded by undead. So our Cleric decided to use "Turn Undead" against them, but we ran into an issue as to how many of them would be affected.

So we looked into how many undead are affected and any kind of range or reach that Turn Undead has.

Yet, there was nothing.

Is there any kind of ruling anywhere in any of the books as to how far or how many undead Turn Undead can affect?

Line of Sight of Cleric? A specific area?

The DM at the time did a quick ruling of undead within 30ft, but would like a more official or canon ruling if there are any.

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Turn Undead: How far does it reach?

Ignore this - I was thinking 3rd Ed. I will try and check my PHB later. I think it is line of sight.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2021-05-16 at 10:18 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think there's anything official.

I would go with Line of Sight, personally. But if you turn some of them, then turn some more, the first batch is free to turn back around and attack.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-05-16 at 01:14 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

How many is specified in the PHB. "A successful turn or dispel affects 2d6 undead."

As for range, as far as I know, no official source ever gives any. I've always treated it as line of sight, myself.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we used the "shoot an arrow" rule. If an arrow could travel between them then it worked. I believe we came up with it during an oriental campaign that involved a ghost and some rice paper walls.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

smile Re: Turn Undead: How far does it reach?

Speech and gestures are important, so the character must have his hands free and be in a position to speak. However, turning is not like spellcasting and is not interrupted if the character is attacked during the attempt.-DMG

Close enough to clearly see the actions of the cleric.. See Encounter distance in the DMG and observation ranges in the players handbook.

Think about the cross and vampire scenarios we see in the movies. Its not that far.

If the mobs are close enough to see the cleric, let im have the 2d6 and see what happens. As dm, just make it fun and dont get stuck on the details so much. Dont get mad if your Dragon gets killed early either. You have an unlimited supply.