New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334
Results 991 to 1,011 of 1011
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1234 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Better than making the joke first but not executing it properly so nobody caught it
    I got it, and the execution was fine; maybe subtlety doesn't play as well on the forums. And, also, the thread moves too fast for me to comment on time.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Huh. I'm not used to Western animation that doesn't make my brain queasy, let alone actually makes it perk up. In the absence of knowing what they're saying, it seems interesting... but would I be disillusioned if I managed to find a translation?
    Wakfu is probably the best animated show France ever produced (though I have a soft spot for Code Lyoko). It's not perfect of course (season 2 has a serious pacing issue, it doesn't always recap stuff that happened in other parts of the franchise that are important to the plot, and some episodes are a bit meh, but nothing really groan-worthy. Okay, the ugliness pageant is groan-worthy.), but the animation is gorgeous (really showcases what Flash, of all softwares, can do) and the character work is great. Especially for the main villain of season 1, he's great. I really recommend it.

The show is on Netflix (I think), but I was told the English dub of the first two seasons is quite bad. It's been renewed for a fourth (and final) season but no release date has been announced yet.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Well, the good news is that you don't have to live with the rest of my homebrew. Because you can just be reamimated in numerous different ways!
    That's, well, reassuring, but I'd rather, you know, live?
    Well, if you're going to be picky about it....
    Sounds familiar....

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Ah, with a big enough lab, they can just get a slice and heal on a loop during that time.
    See, the slicing part itself is precisely the type of thing I want to avoid.
    Well now you're just being picky about it. What's wrong, you yellow?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #994
    Firbolg in the Playground

A disturbing pattern is emerging!

5. - Top - End - #995
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wakfu is probably the best animated show France ever produced (though I have a soft spot for Code Lyoko). It's not perfect of course (season 2 has a serious pacing issue, it doesn't always recap stuff that happened in other parts of the franchise that are important to the plot, and some episodes are a bit meh, but nothing really groan-worthy. Okay, the ugliness pageant is groan-worthy.), but the animation is gorgeous (really showcases what Flash, of all softwares, can do) and the character work is great. Especially for the main villain of season 1, he's great. I really recommend it.

The show is on Netflix (I think), but I was told the English dub of the first two seasons is quite bad. It's been renewed for a fourth (and final) season but no release date has been announced yet.
    Thank you for all of the info; I'll try to find a sub and get back to you by PM one of these days when I finish it. (^_^)b Not surprised the English dub is bad, US voice acting is still the red-headed stepchild of an industry that relies on pretty faces and body language to sell stories.
    (Princess Mononoke was painful or a lot of reasons, not the least of which was "hiring big names who have always been able to sell movies with their looks, but they have no idea how to emote with their voice because they've always relied on facial expressions, photogenicity, and gestures".)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

6. - Top - End - #996
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for all of the info; I'll try to find a sub and get back to you by PM one of these days when I finish it.
    Cool! I should probably mention that there are three special episodes between season 2 and 3 that are essential to the plot of season 3, so be careful not to accidentally skip them
    (^_^)b Not surprised the English dub is bad, US voice acting is still the red-headed stepchild of an industry that relies on pretty faces and body language to sell stories.
    (Princess Mononoke was painful or a lot of reasons, not the least of which was "hiring big names who have always been able to sell movies with their looks, but they have no idea how to emote with their voice because they've always relied on facial expressions, photogenicity, and gestures".)
    Apprently the dub for season 3 is way better, don't know if they've redubbed the previous seasons.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-06-02 at 03:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Clearly that is a quality joke, which works as a response to a variety of statements!

For reals, though, yes. I will absolutely reuse jokes if I think they're good. After enough times, it changes from "being lazy" to "running gag" and is seen as a positive.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly that is a quality joke, which works as a response to a variety of statements!

For reals, though, yes. I will absolutely reuse jokes if I think they're good. After enough times, it changes from "being lazy" to "running gag" and is seen as a positive.
    A running gag quickly becomes tiresome if you don't shake it up after a while, however.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #999

A running gag quickly becomes tiresome if you don't shake it up after a while, however.
    Well if you're going to be picky about it...

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thank you for all of the info; I'll try to find a sub and get back to you by PM one of these days when I finish it. (^_^)b Not surprised the English dub is bad, US voice acting is still the red-headed stepchild of an industry that relies on pretty faces and body language to sell stories.
    True story, I once met a young Belgian man whose English was perfect because – I kid you not – growing up, he absolutely hated the Dutch voice actors who dubbed Scooby Doo and learned English specifically so he could watch the original version. Apparently there are only literally 2 good Dutch VA talents. This isn't a rebuttal or anything, just a fun story.

11. - Top - End - #1001

I was wondering when I'd get that. Also I love that you went into more depth on it than I was expecting!
    There's a complication that I hadn't considered: helical handedness. If you're going up against a monster like a tove --

-- you need to have a weapon of the correct chirality. If you try to hit a left-hand-thread tove with a left-hand-thread weapon, you're going to be at a penalty to hit and damage, and there's a chance for the monster to "grapple" your weapon without harm by engaging with it.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    There's a complication that I hadn't considered: helical handedness. If you're going up against a monster like a tove --

-- you need to have a weapon of the correct chirality. If you try to hit a left-hand-thread tove with a left-hand-thread weapon, you're going to be at a penalty to hit and damage, and there's a chance for the monster to "grapple" your weapon without harm by engaging with it.
    ...The hell is that?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Repeat until funny.
    Rhubarb, rhubarb.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #1004

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...The hell is that?
    I'm not sure, but the link is to Wikimedia Commons and they had the courtesy to name the file Jabberwocky_creatures.jpg. My guess from context would be that the thing with the corkscrew tail is a tove.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

15. - Top - End - #1005

I'm not sure, but the link is to Wikimedia Commons and they had the courtesy to name the file Jabberwocky_creatures.jpg. My guess from context would be that the thing with the corkscrew tail is a tove.
    Yes. That's an illustration by John Tenniel of a tove, from Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky".
    'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gymbol in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    According to Humpty Dumpty (in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland), they're "something like badgers—they’re something like lizards—and they’re something like corkscrews". "Slithy" is a portmanteau of "lithe" and "slimy".

That poem is the origin of the "vorpal sword".
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2021-06-02 at 11:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Yes. That's an illustration by John Tenniel of a tove, from Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky".

According to Humpty Dumpty (in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland), they're "something like badgers—they’re something like lizards—and they’re something like corkscrews". "Slithy" is a portmanteau of "lithe" and "slimy".

That poem is the origin of the "vorpal sword".
    And the word "chortle!"

17. - Top - End - #1007

There's a complication that I hadn't considered: helical handedness.
    A chemist who forgot chirality?! For shame!

18. - Top - End - #1008

A chemist who forgot chirality?! For shame!
    Even worse, one aspect of my doctoral project was looking at some of the angles involved in certain kinds of chiral molecules, which involved them flipping back and forth.

The problem here was going to the trouble of digging out the non-chemical-jargon way of describing the problem with the toves. It would have been easier to grab my thesis off the bookshelf than to rummage around on the net for stuff like "left-hand-thread".

Some of the guys in my old D&D group had large collections of swords stashed in Bags of Holding, so they could grab whichever one was most useful at the moment. I can easily imagine a conversation like:

DM: "You see a group of toves, two large and three small."

Billy: "Are they left-hand-thread or right-hand-thread?"

DM: "Do a spot check."

Billy: "Um... 14."

DM: "They look like right-hand-thread toves."

Billy: "Okay! I pull out my +3 right-hand-thread sword of slaying toves."

DM: "Is it a right-hand-thread sword? Or a sword for slaying right-hand-thread toves?"

Billy: "Uhhhm... I don't know. Does it make a difference?"

DM: "Yup. Roll a D20. Roll high."

19. - Top - End - #1009

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I'd disagree. Halberds are not that long and they can absolutely be used out of formation (unlike many kinds of spears that are an absolute liability once there is no formation around). Granted, I have no knowledge of their being used in duels, but I fail to see why they couldn't be: they are extremely versatile and they hit hard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U
    ^ Likely to be of interest to anyone wrt spears vs swords, ran across it today.

My impression from it is that one-on-one, a spearman has a big advantage unless the swordsman has a large shield and knows how to use it -- or unless the spearman is also trying to use a shield, which is just disastrous. Between that and watching the group fights trying to simulate army combat (but the spear/shield wielders were pretty inept), I feel like I understand better how conscript units could be butchered if they broke formation.

Cool! I should probably mention that there are three special episodes between season 2 and 3 that are essential to the plot of season 3, so be careful not to accidentally skip them

Apprently the dub for season 3 is way better, don't know if they've redubbed the previous seasons.
    Thank you all the more, and my apologies for somehow missing this. I've got a link up and queued for when I make the time, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    True story, I once met a young Belgian man whose English was perfect because – I kid you not – growing up, he absolutely hated the Dutch voice actors who dubbed Scooby Doo and learned English specifically so he could watch the original version. Apparently there are only literally 2 good Dutch VA talents. This isn't a rebuttal or anything, just a fun story.
    It is interesting, both standalone and to show it's not just Hollywood. (^_^)b

20. - Top - End - #1010

Lizardfolk

My impression from it is that one-on-one, a spearman has a big advantage unless the swordsman has a large shield and knows how to use it -- or unless the spearman is also trying to use a shield, which is just disastrous. Between that and watching the group fights trying to simulate army combat (but the spear/shield wielders were pretty inept), I feel like I understand better how conscript units could be butchered if they broke formation.
    Funny enough that video is part of the reason I rate spears so highly. Of course, it's between amateur combatants rather than experienced soldiers, but even so, the advantages of a spear are pretty clear. Not that swords are bad, spears are just... really damn good.

On the other hand I'm happy the guy with the messer got a point. I like messers.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yeah, spear and shield is definitely formation-fighting only. With only one hand on it you lose all that delicious leverage, and doing anything beyond a simple forward stab is gonna be slow and unwieldy.

Also I liked how the rondel dagger guy was like "rargh I'm a berserker feeble spears do not hurt me!" But then white managed to come out on top anyway after a brief bout of wrestling for the dagger.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2021-06-06 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text