Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PF: Spheres] Learn-to-Spheres game?

Dusk Raven- While I appreciate the thought you put into this... my PC would not be a good match for the setting you've come up with, so I will stick with Kallimakus' game.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

@Dusk Raven I'm loving the sound of your setting. Nothing gets me more excited than exploring the grey areas of morality. I'd like to know what needs explaining though, it seems pretty clear cut to me. Nothing and no one is inherently good or evil, all magic is powered by the soul, and the Gods are less 'this is how things are and you NEED to follow these divine laws' and more 'this stuff is really cool to me, and if you agree, we should totally talk more about it.' Beyond a basic rundown of how we would start and a 16, is there anything majorly outside of the norm we should know?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Geordnet View Post
    Interesting. Serendipitously, my character would probably work in this setting with little to no adjustment. (Although, I hope you won't be offended it I gave Kallimakus the right of first refusal.)
    That's quite understandable, Kallimakus was ready first, after all!

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Dusk Raven- While I appreciate the thought you put into this... my PC would not be a good match for the setting you've come up with, so I will stick with Kallimakus' game.
    ...After looking at your character sheet, I have to say I'm not sure why she'd be a poor fit, but she is your character, and it is your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Armonia13 View Post
    @Dusk Raven I'm loving the sound of your setting. Nothing gets me more excited than exploring the grey areas of morality. I'd like to know what needs explaining though, it seems pretty clear cut to me. Nothing and no one is inherently good or evil, all magic is powered by the soul, and the Gods are less 'this is how things are and you NEED to follow these divine laws' and more 'this stuff is really cool to me, and if you agree, we should totally talk more about it.' Beyond a basic rundown of how we would start and a 16, is there anything majorly outside of the norm we should know?
    It's mostly that I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to explain stuff, and I always worry that I've worded things poorly. But if what I've written is enough, than I'm happy. I do still need to work on the big 16, of course, but other than that... well, the big thing is that divine magic (and I don't count druids as divine magic for this purpose) works quite differently, of course, but other than that:

1: This is a setting that very much embraces the idea that what people believe and what's actually true can be two very different things. That entire speech I wrote, for instance, is not exactly common knowledge - not because it's a secret, but because most people wouldn't know any better, and a lot of others would rather believe what they want to believe - and humans produce misinformation like cows produce manure. Thus, if you gather folklore at a village, you'll get stories of monsters and magical tricks, some of which exist and some don't. Accounts of how wicked the orcs are may be based in fact, or might just be propaganda. Many of the religions in the world are wrong about how the world works and what gods exist - not helped by the fact that a holy woman who wanders the world healing the sick actually is receiving power from a god of compassion, which most people interpret as a sign that her religion is true, at least in part. And of course, there are various cults to eldritch entities out there, but they're just humans trying to understand very alien beings, so they're not necessarily right either. And on top of all that, there are some things that people in the setting would have no occasion to learn about (such as the apocalypse that destroyed the first world and most of humanity). I think this actually helps the setting, as incomplete and inaccurate information are very much causes of conflict in the real world, but it can be frustrating for a player to deal with. It's also a side-effect of this being an adaptation of a world I originally just planned to write stories in. I can, at least, provide out-of-character information when needed.

2: This is also a very animistic setting, by which I mean that spirits are everywhere. All living creatures have a spirit of some sort - they don't quite work the same way human(oid) souls do, but they do have a spiritual presence of their own. Even inanimate objects have spirits that can be reached by those with the proper magic - especially magical items. And of course, there are spiritual beings, creatures that exist on another layer of existence. I refer to them generally as "spirits," but they include celestials ("true" spirits), fey (nature spirits), fiends (which I can best describe as hybrids between spirits and a dark eldritch abomination), and undead (be they actual souls or psychic echoes). You may even encounter people or creatures who have merged with spirits, either as a soul-bond or actually becoming one being. As such, expect dual-type creatures!

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff later. In the meantime, though, I need to prepare the player options. ...As I mentioned before, I have my own races, but I'm honestly tempted to just say, "Here's the lore for them, you can either pick my stats for them, pick an existing PF race to fit them, or just come up with your own racial traits," just so there's less for players to learn regarding options. I'm more interested in getting the lore out than mechanics, anyway... and making mechanics for all these races can be a pain at times.

Related, I'll have the custom casting traditions up later, once I properly update them. In this case, I'm fully open to letting players modify them or make their own traditions if they really want. The written version of this setting is actually rather restrictive when it comes to what magic can do - for instance, the biomancy/fleshwarping tradition would, if accurately converted to Spheres, limit you to Alteration, Life, Death, and maybe Enhancement... but I really don't want to be that restrictive to my players, even though that is something a DM could do with Spheres. As a player, I love being able to come up with a thematic concept I really like and play it out, as so as DM I tend to say, "Come up with something that's flavorful and cool, persuade me to include it, and I'll figure how it fits into the setting somehow." Besides, I think the best fantasy settings have a good bit of the unknown in them... and there's a lot of the unknown in magic!
    Last edited by Dusk Raven; 2021-06-07 at 12:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Niofume looks interesting, currently lacks personality, description and gear. For reference, in this world she is far from home, with beastkin such as Kitsune being native to the New World. Or to the Tian analogue on the far side of the continent. Past great mountains, plains and more besides.
    Niofume is something of a wandering healer and assassin. She doesn't really focus on fighting so much, not directly at least, instead trying more to keep to sidelines, and let the big strong burly men do all the heavy lifting. While she is an assassin for hire, she does prefer to avoid killing people she's not contracted to. After all, if you're good at something, don't do it for free. Oddly, this doesn't extend in the direction of her healing practices, though the logic still is fairly sound. Dead people can't pay to be healed, but living people can continue to be useful and pay in the future. Of course money isn't the only thing on her mind, as she's rarely ever seen without some alcohol or her pipe close by if she can help it. When not needing to actively move about, she tends to laze around smoking on her pipe as she watches and observes.

Her more eccentric personality comes when she adopts her human form, pretending to be a wandering fortune teller, even she's actually pretty horrible at it.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallimakus View Post
    Duly noted, found it now.

I usually have a policy that if something isn't on the character sheet it doesn't exist. I'll read it and check it out, but that does move you up.
    Just a heads up I fixed the things you pointed out, and by writing down all the class stuff found a few class features I did even not know about so that actually worked out.

Otherwise? There is even more BG up on her app to look over when you get a chance. If you see stuff you think should change and/or would fit better in your setting feel free to call it out.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The thread tag should probably be changed to "filled" now. (If, after splitting the group up, Dusk Raven needs more players, it would be easier to recruit by making a new thread with the Big 16 and world info at the top.)

Anyways, I have to re-tweak my sheet a bit now to accommodate Traits (haven't decided which ones yet). They'll likely have a knock-on effect of changing up a couple Talents or Magic Items, though.

Speaking of... I noticed something about magic items I don't understand:

Onisophia AKA Sophie, the sheet looks good. We've discussed the backstory and other things. One thing to note is that Amulet of Mighty Fists (along with any other items that give Enhancement bonus to attacks, AC, CL, ability scores or natural armour, Deflection bonuses or Resistance bonuses do not exist or function. They are obtained through the ABP alone. You CAN use AoMF to attach a property to your unarmed strikes. I haven't actually seen a counter-based warrior in action, so that's something to look forward to.
    Asuka The sheet doesn't have class features listed. In addition, as with Sophie, ABP means that standard stat boosting items and magic weapons don't exist at all. Also missing personality, description and such.
    I don't know what "ABP" stands for, so does this mean that all traditional PF magic items are gone (meaning we need to instead build them with the Spheres crafting system), that specific stat bonuses on PF magic items don't apply, or something else entirely?

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rē+Rē-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

ABP stands for Automatic Bonus Progression, which us an extra ruleset one can use. There are certain items that have become so standard that everyone character needs them at certain levels in order to keep up with the growing Challenges(such as Belts of Strength, Rings of Protection, Cloaks of Resistance, etc). But doing so often has players choose not to get more flavorful items that have more specific uses. ABP solves this by incrementally giving those standard bonuses as a character levels up, allowing one to spend their gold on other things without worrying about keeping up.

8. - Top - End - #248

DwarfClericGuy

Oh wow, how did I miss that? I guess I have some stat changes to make on my sheet, then...

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rē+Rē-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

9. - Top - End - #249

The thread tag should probably be changed to "filled" now. (If, after splitting the group up, Dusk Raven needs more players, it would be easier to recruit by making a new thread with the Big 16 and world info at the top.)
    Consider it done (mostly because it is!)

10. - Top - End - #250

Normally I don't double-post, but this requires @Kallimakus' approval and I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

I've got two "custom" items I'm buying (not crafting), but they're only "custom" because they're specific Masterwork Artisan's Tools. Still, they technically need your approval.

One is pretty standard, just some high-quality tattooing needles/accoutrements (since my character does cover himself in his own tattoos). The other is what I call an "artificer's abacus," helping perform all those fine-tuned measurements and calculations to make magic items, but useless for other applications of spellcraft (like identifying spells, copying/deciphering magical writings, or determining the properties of a magic item that already exists). If either is not acceptable, no worries. The main character sheet will include a full cost breakdown of all the items I'm crafting and buying.

Edit: Sheet should be finished. I also have the "merged form" sheet, just for ease of number-tracking, but the main focus/updates will go to the regular sheet.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2021-06-09 at 06:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

DwarfClericGuy

Okay, so ABP freed up 2k gold on a magic item, and I'd like to reallocate that... @GM, what was your ruling on starting with self-crafted magic items? I should be able to succeed the crafting DC even on double nat 1s (assuming I'm using my Introspection die) for items at CL 4 or below. (And it explicitly says I can copy talents from other scrolls I buy, or make myself by increasing the DC.) I stand to save hundreds of gp on scribing my own copies of mid-level emergency scrolls composited from talents found in low-level scrolls.

Anyways, I've done the math and determined that if I use all but one of my shadow points and maintain concentration, I can fake-summon a creature capable of pulling the fully-loaded wagon for over 7 hours. Since it's illusionary, I'm presuming that doesn't have to be a creature that really exists, right? I want to make something up, let my imagination run wild a bit... I'm thinking of an "Elder Weevil"—that should be good with the children.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rē+Rē-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

12. - Top - End - #252

Okay, so ABP freed up 2k gold on a magic item, and I'd like to reallocate that... @GM, what was your ruling on starting with self-crafted magic items? I should be able to succeed the crafting DC even on double nat 1s (assuming I'm using my Introspection die) for items at CL 4 or below. (And it explicitly says I can copy talents from other scrolls I buy, or make myself by increasing the DC.) I stand to save hundreds of gp on scribing my own copies of mid-level emergency scrolls composited from talents found in low-level scrolls.

Anyways, I've done the math and determined that if I use all but one of my shadow points and maintain concentration, I can fake-summon a creature capable of pulling the fully-loaded wagon for over 7 hours. Since it's illusionary, I'm presuming that doesn't have to be a creature that really exists, right? I want to make something up, let my imagination run wild a bit... I'm thinking of an "Elder Weevil"—that should be good with the children.
    Keep in mind, you can Take 10 while crafting. So if you can make the DC for a CL4 item even with a low roll like that, you can easily make the DC for a much higher CL.

Edit: I'm also quite happy to help out with buffs for anyone who wants to craft things themselves. Enhancer esotery, Enhance Focus talent, Aid Another. A couple spell points is no big deal to me.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2021-06-10 at 10:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You can self-craft, buut... I go with the guideline that you can only go 25% over the starting WBL.
    And WBL is half what you would usually get for your level since you get the freebies from Automatic Bonus Progression.

And yes, there's no reason to restrict your companion to creatures that really exist. (Although someone might get circumstance bonuses to disbelieve an illusion that's too obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    Normally I don't double-post, but this requires @Kallimakus' approval and I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

I've got two "custom" items I'm buying (not crafting), but they're only "custom" because they're specific Masterwork Artisan's Tools. Still, they technically need your approval.

One is pretty standard, just some high-quality tattooing needles/accoutrements (since my character does cover himself in his own tattoos). The other is what I call an "artificer's abacus," helping perform all those fine-tuned measurements and calculations to make magic items, but useless for other applications of spellcraft (like identifying spells, copying/deciphering magical writings, or determining the properties of a magic item that already exists). If either is not acceptable, no worries. The main character sheet will include a full cost breakdown of all the items I'm crafting and buying.

Edit: Sheet should be finished. I also have the "merged form" sheet, just for ease of number-tracking, but the main focus/updates will go to the regular sheet.
    I am fine with both of those items. I imagine that as Mwk tools they give the usual +2 bonus to skills?
    And the merged form sheet is very helpful, thanks.

I'l set up the thread and make picks this weekend.

14. - Top - End - #254

I am fine with both of those items. I imagine that as Mwk tools they give the usual +2 bonus to skills?
    And the merged form sheet is very helpful, thanks.
    That's correct. +2 circumstance to the relevant skill, either all applications if it's a narrow skill (like a specialized Craft) or a specific application if it's a broad skill, such as perfumes that improve Diplomacy with nobles but which would have no impact on persuading a tribal warleader to surrender.

Yeah honestly it's helpful for me, too, simply to keep track of things. Glad it's not just me that benefits!

15. - Top - End - #255

DwarfClericGuy

You can self-craft, buut... I go with the guideline that you can only go 25% over the starting WBL.
    And WBL is half what you would usually get for your level since you get the freebies from Automatic Bonus Progression.
    So, that means I can use up to 3000gp for crafting? Sounds fair. I'm just amassing a collection of scrolls for various utilities and emergencies. I'm going to need to make a supplemental document for my sheet...

Speaking of, I shifted around some of my magic talents. Most notably, I got Shadow Stash, which will greatly change where all my items will be stored.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rē+Rē-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Any GMs that need a hand Sphereing up a few NPCs, feel free to ask over PM.
    Semper ludens.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I ultimately decided that 4 is better than 6, and while I liked the submissions, I'm swamped with stuff as is, with 1 week left until my summer vacation, and 2 weeks until I'm free to make regular-ish schedule.

The choices are:
    tonberryking
    Sophie
    Geordnet
    Matthew
    Ezekielraiden
    Caladar
    Hjolnai
    Kera of the Pine Hearth

OOC thread is here, I'll try to get the IC thread up, but between visiting parents and planning vacation free time melts away.
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2021-06-14 at 03:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good luck and good gaming to those picked. But, Lol poor Asuka... Not only not picked... but also not on the not picked list as well. I am thinking that buying any lottery tickets would be a poor life choice for me today. :P :P

19. - Top - End - #259

NecromancerGirl

I ought to finish with those homebrew casting traditions, and maybe the races, so the remaining players can take a look at it - it's been a while since I've worked on my Pathfinder stuff, since I've largely switched to DMing 5e...
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Raven View Post
    I ought to finish with those homebrew casting traditions, and maybe the races, so the remaining players can take a look at it - it's been a while since I've worked on my Pathfinder stuff, since I've largely switched to DMing 5e...
    Would you be adverse to allowing the Yukikaze no Hitobito in as a custom race. I would re-fluff some to fit the campaign closer but a fey race with some sort of ancestral spirit worship is already probably not too far off in any event.

21. - Top - End - #261

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wantgame View Post
    Would you be adverse to allowing the Yukikaze no Hitobito in as a custom race. I would re-fluff some to fit the campaign closer but a fey race with some sort of ancestral spirit worship is already probably not too far off in any event.
    That basic idea certainly fits into the setting (I really like fey and similar spirits!), although I'll need some more information - trying to search that term in Google gave me some odd results, so I'm not learning anything that way. The name means "People of the snowy winds" if I'm not mistaken?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

That basic idea certainly fits into the setting (I really like fey and similar spirits!), although I'll need some more information - trying to search that term in Google gave me some odd results, so I'm not learning anything that way. The name means "People of the snowy winds" if I'm not mistaken?
    Correct translation. It is the custom race I did up for Asuka and is in her app linked here in. It and Asuka will need some re-fluff as we get more 411 on your setting.

Speaking of, I am going with the idea we are running under the same char gen rules as Kallimakus had? But that is just an assumption.

23. - Top - End - #263

NecromancerGirl

I apologize for being quiet. DMing Pathfinder is a lot of work that I just... haven't been wanting to do the past few days. Trying to convert this setting of mine has always been an uphill battle, given my micromanaging and desire to have my own thing instead of the standard rules.

Regarding the character creation rules - I'm going to mostly use the same ones Kallimakus is using, with a couple exceptions - namely, third-party content is allowed (although I may need to do a bit of work to convert it to Spheres) on a case-by-case basis, and I'm allowing the full Elephant in the Room Feat Tax rules.

I'll also allow custom races, again on a case-by-case basis (but I'm likely to accept them). I've got my own racial stats, they're typically 12 RP. ...Writing up a summary of each's lore as well as statting them all out is a task I haven't wanted to work on, and one I can't work on right now, but that should be my biggest priority going forward.

...I hadn't realized Kallimakus was using gestalt, but I can work with that.

I want to ask something that might help me figure something out for the campaign - what kind of campaign would the remaining players want to go for? I'm generally accustomed to a semi-sandbox game where I occasionally throw out quest hooks, which the players may or may not take, but there's not much of a real overarching plot, and mostly I just try and play out each PC's character arc. If people are more interested in a dungeon crawl, or even a battle arena style adventure, or some blend of the above, let me know. Otherwise, I'll try and figure out a starting location for you guys, and work things out from there.
    Last edited by Dusk Raven; 2021-06-19 at 04:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I apologize for being quiet. DMing Pathfinder is a lot of work that I just... haven't been wanting to do the past few days. Trying to convert this setting of mine has always been an uphill battle, given my micromanaging and desire to have my own thing instead of the standard rules.

Regarding the character creation rules - I'm going to mostly use the same ones Kallimakus is using, with a couple exceptions - namely, third-party content is allowed (although I may need to do a bit of work to convert it to Spheres) on a case-by-case basis, and I'm allowing the full Elephant in the Room Feat Tax rules.

I'll also allow custom races, again on a case-by-case basis (but I'm likely to accept them). I've got my own racial stats, they're typically 12 RP. ...Writing up a summary of each's lore as well as statting them all out is a task I haven't wanted to work on, and one I can't work on right now, but that should be my biggest priority going forward.

...I hadn't realized Kallimakus was using gestalt, but I can work with that.

I want to ask something that might help me figure something out for the campaign - what kind of campaign would the remaining players want to go for? I'm generally accustomed to a semi-sandbox game where I occasionally throw out quest hooks, which the players may or may not take, but there's not much of a real overarching plot, and mostly I just try and play out each PC's character arc. If people are more interested in a dungeon crawl, or even a battle arena style adventure, or some blend of the above, let me know. Otherwise, I'll try and figure out a starting location for you guys, and work things out from there.
    Hey Dusk, no worries. It's a lot of work to prepare a world, especially when you throw in custom traits like new races. Take the time you need to be ready.

In saying that, it would probably be best to start a new thread for this, since Kallimakus' game has started. That way, new requests and questions can be asked without them getting mixed up in previous unrelated posts.

As for the kind of campaign I'd like, my first vote would probably be battle arena, as I'd imagine that would be the simplest and most straight forward. But I would love to play in any game really, I have very little experience actually playing the game and would love to get an adventure under my belt(RL permitting of course)

Ultimately, you should run the kind of game that you want to run though, because you should absolutely be allowed to have fun too and not just cater to what the players want. It's awesome enough that you're even considering running the system, I've no doubt the players will enjoy whatever you come up with(also super siked to learn your lore)