Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: How Do Slient Sounds Break Glass?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    He's a real scientist, so yes.
    "Real scientist" is difficult to define. He had a bachelor's degree, one commonly assumes a scientist has a PhD. He has a few honorary doctorates, but not a research doctorate. He's also an engineer, which is not generally called a science. And while he's a great science communicator (i.e. guy who talks about science, also an important position), I don't think he actually ever worked in a scientific position, which a quick glance at his biography seems to support.

So, no, I wouldn't say he's a scientist.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-05-27 at 03:21 AM.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Scientists focus on facts, data, research, and truth based on science.
    As someone whose job title is actually 'scientist'... *collapses into hysterical laughter*

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    As someone whose job title is actually 'scientist'... *collapses into hysterical laughter*
    Spoiler: picture
    Show

http://smbc-comics.com/comic/science-2

Another SMBC comic that seems approbriate here.
    And as a quasi-scientist, I share Brother Oni's laughter.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

4. - Top - End - #64

But, but, but... once I'm done with my PhD, I will actually conduct real, beautiful clean experiments that give perfect and true data!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

What about Bill Nye The Science Guy? Does he fall under that category?
    Bill Nye has I believe an engineering degree, and was the host of a science education show. If I had to define him, I would call him and educator.

As to what about him? I'd say he did exactly what he set out to do, and what his show was advertised as, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    "Real scientist" is difficult to define. He had a bachelor's degree, one commonly assumes a scientist has a PhD. He has a few honorary doctorates, but not a research doctorate. He's also an engineer, which is not generally called a science. And while he's a great science communicator (i.e. guy who talks about science, also an important position), I don't think he actually ever worked in a scientific position, which a quick glance at his biography seems to support.

So, no, I wouldn't say he's a scientist.
    I would say one commonly assumes a scientist is someone employed doing science. Someone with a bachelor's degree (or less) doing benchwork, field work, or (since my focus is healthcare/social science) survey work is definitely a scientist. Someone with a PhD who got the degree and then for some reason went on to become a pianist or painter would be an artist instead (although I guess they would be a scientist as well in a 'once a ____, always a ____' kind of way).
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-05-27 at 11:54 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Ah, well. Language differences, I guess. I live in a country where "scientist" is an actually defined job title and usually comes with a PhD. People with a BSc who do bench work are usually called assistants or technicians.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm going to go with the others and respond with a firm 'no' as well. He's a great edutainer though (like the mythbusters, were/are as well, in addition to their other qualifications)!

Ah, well. Language differences, I guess. I live in a country where "scientist" is an actually defined job title and usually comes with a PhD. People with a BSc who do bench work are usually called assistants or technicians.
    It's not necessarily a language difference, but one where the language is adapting to the times, sort of like 'engineer' 'or architect' titles are not applied to so many different job profiles that does not fit the classic definition of what those jobs roles are. Does it demean or cheapen the additional years of work, study and development that people that have earned academic PhD's who once were the only ones that carried those titles? I think that is a question for another thread ;)
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 2021-05-27 at 09:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm now wondering if tvtropes has a No Real Scientist trope. Or do we have to suffer under the tyranny of the No Real Scotsman one?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Shh... do not spoil our image - it might affect our future funding.
    But, but, but... once I'm done with my PhD, I will actually conduct real, beautiful clean experiments that give perfect and true data!
    Good joke that one.

Some examples

Also, if you never watched PhD The Movie, I strongly recommend it.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

TBH, I've never quite understood the "engineers aren't scientists" train of thought. Or is the idea that only people working solely with theoreticals and never practical applications are scientists?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    TBH, I've never quite understood the "engineers aren't scientists" train of thought. Or is the idea that only people working solely with theoreticals and never practical applications are scientists?
    More or less. It's usually even wider than that. The Real Scientists (tm) tend to gatekeep a lot of stuff out from their precious Science (tm, r, c).

It's not entirely without a kernel of truth though. You can be an engineer without ever really coming into contact with science.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    More or less. It's usually even wider than that. The Real Scientists (tm) tend to gatekeep a lot of stuff out from their precious Science (tm, r, c).
    It's not entirely without a kernel of truth though. You can be an engineer without ever really coming into contact with science.
    As usual, arbitrary boundaries serve a purpose, but often become the purpose in and of themselves. It has pros and cons and is only sometimes meaningful. I've seen any number of people with terminal degrees that really aren't anything special (I work at the intersection of law, medicine, and computer science. Honestly I see it quite a lot), yet also anyone with any online social media presence has that one relative with no formal background in a thing that thinks they're 'an expert' because they read a lot of articles telling them what they already want to believe.

Engineer vs. Scientist though is a sub-category of that where theoretical and applied posture for whose work is actually meaningful (and the true answer, as always, is 'both, depending on context').

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Shh... do not spoil our image - it might affect our future funding.
    Don't worry, jokes about funding help cement your image.
    I, for one, take it from STEM; if the the fields are going to separate science and engineering amongst themselves, who am I to argue?
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroĢila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have an engineering degree so Iíll weigh in here.

The way I see it is science is more about gathering new information whereas engineering is applying it as a means to some end.

For example, a materials scientist might do experiments to determine the properties of a certain metal (weight, strength, elastic modulus, ect) whereas a civil engineer working on a bridge would use that data to decide what material and how much of it is needed to build a bridge that can needs to support x amount of weight.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post

The way I see it is science is more about gathering new information whereas engineering is applying it as a means to some end.

For example, a materials scientist might do experiments to determine the properties of a certain metal (weight, strength, elastic modulus, ect) whereas a civil engineer working on a bridge would use that data to decide what material and how much of it is needed to build a bridge that can needs to support x amount of weight.
    And I mean no disrespect to engineers. There's that old saying, "anyone can build a bridge, but it takes an engineer to build a bridge that barely stands".
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Seconded.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground

Funny thing, the way science gathers new information is also generally through applying what's known to some end -- both in preparing for the experiment (e.g. how to isolate a peptide fragment for study) and in carrying it out (e.g. how to determine its properties).

If science were a game of pool, with the pool balls being scientific principles, it wouldn't be some rarefied observation of how pool balls move in isolation. It would be bumping them against each other at different angles and spin rates to see what happens.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

What if that end is designing the LHC or the ISS?
    Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. -Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5, Scene 1

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would call designing both of those things engineering.

I feel like itís worth pointing out the fields are all related, and there is definitely some overlap in certain areas. Thereís a reason all the STEM fields were all put together under one umbrella. Hell, math has its own letter in the acronym but math is a type of science.

19. - Top - End - #79

Science is knowing that you need a particle accelerator that has X MeV in energy to do the experiment. Engineering is actually building that.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Science is a method for empirically establishing causality.

Engineering is applying known principles to make things.

The two aren't actually innately related to each other. Engineers constantly make due with principles that are retroactively known to be wrong, and may be known to be wrong when they apply them. Science is about 9K years more recent than engineering is, and the synthesis of the two only began in the Nineteenth Century several centuries after science started being used in earnest.

I would say that Myth Busters is a performance of science rather than an actual application of it, in the same way a play about depression isn't actually psychiatry.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-05-30 at 01:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Science is knowing that you need a particle accelerator that has X MeV in energy to do the experiment. Engineering is actually building that.
    In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, in practice there is.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, in practice there is.
    Sure. In theory, there are a lot more spherical frictionless cows.
    ďEvil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.Ē

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Sure. In theory, there are a lot more spherical frictionless cows.
    It was a quote, I don't remember from whom.

It is also deeply self referential.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-05-31 at 05:11 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It was a quote, I don't remember from whom.

It is also deeply self referential.
    It is often attributed to Yogi Berra, but apparantly goes back to at least February 1882 (Benjamin Brewster, in The Yale Literary Magazine)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yogi Berra didnít say a lot of the things he said.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

I was watching CSI: NY and there was a bank robbery that the robbers who dressed like Holly Golightly look-alikes rob a jewelry store used a device with a silent sound capable of breaking glass. I was so amazed at how did they do that? How did a silent sound be able to break glass?
    In principle a ultrasonic sound or some multiple of the glasses resonance frequency could be used at a high volume. In practice, no.

If you're doing multiples of the frequency, you need more precision in the frequency you produce and aim for. The typical demonstration of breaking glass with sound involves carefully measuring the glasses resonant frequency before hand. I'd expect any measurement precise enough couldn't be done inconspicuously. The glass is also (presumably) affixed and so it will not tend to vibrate freely.

You'll also want the various parts of the glass to be equidistant from the sound source (otherwise the crests of the soundwave will hit one part and the throughs another), which means (for a glass object much larger than a wine glass) a speaker, which means a louder speaker.

That much ultrasound is bound cause other noticeable effects.

Also, I'd assume any glass in a jewelry store used to secure is bulletproof glass and not the pure crystal used in wineglasses (in fact, even regulars window are usually made of much sturdier stuff now).
    Last edited by Quizatzhaderac; 2021-06-10 at 06:07 PM. Reason: removed response that I decided I was misinterpreting
    Excuses and explanations are different.

Sometimes when there can be no excuses we must look the hardest for explanations.

27. - Top - End - #87

robbers who dressed like Holly Golightly look-alikes
    I j just noticed that says "dressed like Holly Golightly look-alikes" and not "dressed like Holly Golightly". Which gives the impression that the robbers hadn't even seen the movie, and just modeled their outfits off a contest or something.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.